Do YOU think there's too much sex appeal in DBD?

Options
2»

Comments

• Quizzy
    Quizzy Member Posts: 856
    edited November 2022
    Options

No you're right. Haddie failed because she doesnt fit the small, petite female survivor like the rest. Her being heavily lore focused and introduced way b4 her debut chapter shows that most ppl in this community dont care for lore that much which is honestly a shame.

Its also why the most popular survivor, feng, only has 3 paragraphs of lore to her name for 5 years is carried only by her cute gamer profile and lots of cosmetics.

I for one personally appreciate the lore and popularity of the character which is why im a david main as he's a well rounded character both in popularity on the male side and lore. I admit that vittorio already has the looks to take him far. But i personally will make him my 2nd main not just because of his looks but by his designs, tattoos, and lore(being the 1st survivor from the ancient past).

I truly hope they dont keep doing this fan servicing but i believe its inevitable based on the community wanting it. A shame because we are missing out on lore possibilities. Im still waiting on learning more about the pariah members which hasnt been touched in so long.

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,253
    Options

No way! Kate is definitely the one who survives in a horror movie. She reminds me of Erin from Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2003.

• FilthyLegionMain
    FilthyLegionMain Member Posts: 1,148
    Options

I personally think she's cool. Just didn't wish her best stuff were sets. That still confuses me and keeps me from playing her...

• Orochi
    Orochi Member Posts: 183
    Options

Sex sells.

• INoLuv
    INoLuv Member Posts: 464
    Options

No, but it should, the focus on feet is good and should increase, onryo sadako has the best feet

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,073
    Options

Liar. Claudette looks like she smells of Jasmine and Coconut, which she does.

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,073
    Options
  • Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,537
    Options

I stopped reading the moment you mentioned Pixel Bush.

• jmwjmw27
    jmwjmw27 Member Posts: 264
    Options
  • HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013
    Options

I mean if people can sexualise plague... I don't think they even need to try. Rule 34 does the job lol.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,647
    Options

Guys, Sex has been part of Horror Slashers of ages.

So I would not say this is part of a Dangerous trend for BHVR, they are treading well established rules.

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252
    Options
  • Terion
    Terion Member Posts: 810
    Options
  • Hexan
    Hexan Member Posts: 71
    Options

Okay, so I must admit that this treaht is weird to read, If you are a horror fan and know just a bit of history, but also if you look at the game lore. Let me break it down

Point 1 the horror genre: Horror have use sexaul theme in them for ever now, monster lure people to an early grave with there sexy body, is the most commen in old story. But when horror was begeing to go on the big screen, it became more a thing for the victem to beatyfull and in the 1970's sex was a big topic. Do to the youth movement in 1968, horror reflected that and in the 80's it became none every where in horror (slashes is the one who use it most and is big factor for dbd identeti)

Point 2 the history: okay this is kind of simple, DBD never claim to be histroycal correct and most people can not claim that they know how people dress in the middelages, that is a timeline from 500 to 1600. Just try to think how maney people live in such a long life span, there have to have been some saying ''I dress however I wan't'' just like today

Point 3 the game: WE HAVE MAGIC, THE SAW, TEXAS CHAINSAW, RESIDENT EVIL AND RINGU FRANCHIS IN THE SAME PLACE. I mean come on people, But it make no sence that peopel runing have naked to survive. 1 peopel never chose when there live is in danger and they have run, 2 the enterty can take peopel right out of the shower. It make less sence that there is not one in there undes, It make less sence that we got Attack on Titan outfit if we talk lore. What is the enterty a big otaku or weeb, I'm more sad that we have seen littel to no sexy halloween costum, but have 2 sexy male surviver's who get a ton of sexy outfit's. I claim foul!!

So yes in the end, I just wish for more sexy or fun outfit's. I mean ''villege people'' outfit's to men and sexy devil and angel outfit to the women, that kind of outfit's one's in a fullmoon could be good if I must be honest.

• Hex_iButt
    Hex_iButt Member Posts: 233
    Options

Wait, is this really a big debate in some circles? A lot of the sexualization comes from the community vs the actual game itself I'd say. Like, the swimwear cosmetics are pretty tasteful; none of the girls are wearing only strings and straps (Jane enthusiasts would run wild), David and Felix have their chests exposed in some outfits, but don't have jockstrap or speedo bottom piece to make them more salacious. The sex appeal hasn't been made a main focus in these designs.

If we're going with survivors just on their looks alone there are some hot ones for sure and some that are not so hot, but that's subjective. I can think Jonah and David are very unattractive, while someone can go feral just thinking about them. I'd say that character development just goes for at least making someone look average vs outright trying to make someone ugly.

I don't think its proper to say Vittorio has been sexualized because he's by default dressed in a more modern attire compared to what time period he's supposed to be in. Maybe he found some better clothes while surviving in the Entity's realm? It's a possibility. It's a missed opportunity for sure to not dress him in medieval clothing, but I'm sure he'll get something with this design in mind as a DLC outfit...

• Mew
    Mew Member Posts: 1,828
    Options

as much as i hate how much they butchered haddies release, does it really matter? especially since haddies own outfit doesnt even fit her lore (like, shes supposed to have a white hair streak, not blue.)

plus, haddie isnt even unatractive?? i think people dont like her because her perks are doodoo and she has no cosmetics. (one green is unreleased and the other is exclusive to prime, her first purple is a set and her other purple is an anniversy exclusive) i dont think it has anything to do with looks tbh

• WeakestNurseMain
    WeakestNurseMain Member Posts: 308
    Options

I'd like a "remove haram" button so I don't have to see half naked women running around, look, I can respect if you just want to stare at your character wearing suggestive clothing, but it weirds me out to see that kind of thing.

• Nihlus
    Nihlus Member Posts: 301
    Options

Most characters are pretty fugly. There's only a one or two 'sexy' characters on each gender. More characters that aren't fugly to look at is always a good thing.

• EvilBarney666
    EvilBarney666 Member Posts: 323
    Options

We need a cosplay pack for survivors. Picture Jane In a Vamperilla costume. Take my money now.

• catkillsmouse
    catkillsmouse Member Posts: 244
    Options

If you mean by the clothing then no if you mean me wantin to get it on with all survivors then yeye <3

• MeanieDeeny
    MeanieDeeny Member Posts: 533
    Options

Jane isn’t a small, petite female and she does well. I don’t feel it’s Haddie’s face or body type…I like that she’s thicker..I really think her cosmetics are just terrible. I bought her upon release, but I just can’t bring myself to play her until she has better cosmetics.

• Quizzy
    Options

Jane is literally one of the least played female original survivor. Wouldve been the least if not for haddie and maybe elodie. But i acknowledge the appreciation she's getting online especially within the trans community. I do see that.

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,087
    edited November 2022
    Options

Sure there are some more revealing fits, some females wear shorts and skirts, a few low cut blouses, a gay man without a shirt on, a straight man only wearing a jacket and so forth, but none too sexy.

Plus the people who are overly in love with the new character may or may not have some daddy issues, but I don't wanna offend anyone or start beef so I'm not say that out loud where anyone could see it and respond to start said beef... (I'm joking fr)

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,213
    Options

I dont care about sex appeal in this game, as i dont play this game to see naked skin.

It doesnt matter to me what cosmetic someone next to me is using at all. And i only get skins that are "cool", and just showing skin doesn´t fit this for me.

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 1,807
    Options

Not really, its an 18+ game.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,097
    Options

idk about sex-appeal but DBD is certainly more on the "model catalogue" side when it comes to survivors. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing; it's pretty common in games. That characters are a stylised and "perfectionised" version of people. Comes, in part, with the modelling process; it's much harder to model sth that doesn't have super-model-potential, considering that the default is perfect and every imperfection and asymmetrie is deliberate and takes time and effort to make believable.

Now, that DBD leans heavily into "hotness" is true. They could just as well lean into cuteness or funny things. - And I do wish they did more funny or cute stuff. --- The only thing that may not really work is realism. Idk but most survs on the "normal" side (Haddie, Jonah, Adam, e.g.) tend to be somewhat overlooked.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

As long as shirtless Clown is not in the game, the game will never havd enough sex appeal.

• Satelit
    Satelit Member Posts: 1,377
    edited November 2022
    Options

There's also the fact that the Haddie from the tomes isn't the same Haddie we have in-game.I love the lore and the multiverse but I'm a bit dissapointed we didn't get the Haddie we lore fans waited for.

I still love her regardless tho. (also BHVR we know she has an unused outfit in the files from when she was released give it to us already.)

• CheesyBabyBoi
    CheesyBabyBoi Member Posts: 234
    Options

i mean, aside from the horror genre in general, specifically in trashy movies, sex appeal is a pretty big part of it to begin with. I've never noticed anything particularly explicit

• Dito175
    Dito175 Member Posts: 1,391
    edited November 2022
    Options

I think it's bhvr's fault and not really Haddies, they released her and left her to rot

• AverageKateMain
    AverageKateMain Member Posts: 949
    Options

Compared to other games that are horror/non horror based, this game is incredibly tame. Its actually comes down to people and how weird they make things

• nora_the_explora
    nora_the_explora Member Posts: 104
    Options

Ngl Michael myers in hospital clothes is so hot 🥵😂

• Haven414
    Haven414 Member Posts: 97
    Options

I'll be happy once we get Grace from Identity V as a killer and then they should probably stop after giving her a few sexy outfits (:

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,807
    Options

Such a sign of the times that a minimal show of skin would weird people out more than brutal, graphic violence.

But no, there is not too much "sex appeal" in DBD; sex (and let's be clear, there is relatively very little in DBD) and horror have always gone together like peas and carrots. You know, the old Eros and Thanatos bit.

• RiskyKara
    RiskyKara Member Posts: 804
    Options

Sorry baby I've been busy with approaching finals. I'll get you soon though. Please look forward to it.

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,193
    Options

No, I play them based on their perks and their loudness, although I'm quite biased to every single RE character because I just love RE.

I think the matter of viewing a fictional character as something that has sex-appeal is very subjective. Also, I think that BHVR just makes characters that are appealing, like of course they want people to actually want to play someone they have worked so long to design/create.

In previous posts on the forums a lot of people were asking for another male and/or non-binary character that looks different from the average we have atm, and it seems like BHVR has delivered on some of those demands.

• Sharpefern
    Sharpefern Member Posts: 422
    Options

So I think its based on context and what looks good on the character. Trickster is actually a really good example. I honestly dont think the ones where he shows a ton of skin are his most popular. Like I think his best skin is the Neon Nights which is his most clothed one, just because it looks the best on him. But the shirtless David is super popular because it looks better than his other outfits. As long as they stay making sense I don't think there is an issue.

• Quizzy
    Options
  • Quizzy
    Options

True. And i honestly believe she couldve been a pariah. Her tome lore about her tome parents dissappearance on an island supports the theory. But they just went on and abandon that story for black vale i guess.

But honestly, not even older version haddie wouldnt be saved. There is a reason we dont have an original survivor that's old. They mist likely wpuldnt be played. But vittorio is an exception because he's hot. Even then i speculate he wont be played as much because he's a male character anyways.