Do YOU think there's too much sex appeal in DBD?

Options

Inspired by Pixel Bush's recent statement and the response it got, but informed by a now long history of debate on this issue. People say that the new survivor is clearly tailored to be drooled over to the point of ignoring his actual history and origin in favor of modern fashions and so on, that Haddie's relative failure means BHVR is now entirely focused on making survivors that people want to have relations with, and that it has gone beyond the isolated environment of the spinoff to now infect the main game, destroying what little semblance of horror aesthetic is left. Also, characters like Claudette get outfits that don't at all fit their reserved personalities.

What do YOU think? Do you still want more daddy Ghostface, David, and revealing Kate skins? Or has it all gone all too far? Post your favorite Feng bikini cosmetic ideas as well.

Comments

• Entitled_survivor
    Entitled_survivor Member Posts: 828
    Options

We love our new dilf survivor ♥️ Tbh i have a few survivors i usually play because of how they look,, and while we are at it give us leather master David skin

• Okonar_
    Okonar_ Member Posts: 499
    Options

Just want Billy Herrington in DBD, the GACHIKING

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,840
    Options

I mean yeah, Vittorio is a good looking bloke but so what? They can release a Jason Momoa look-alike survivor and I still won't buy him unless he has good or useful perks. I guess ultimately sex sells, and always has, but not to me. Also Mikaela is a pretty popular survivor and I wouldn't say she's overly sexy.

• MeanieDeeny
    MeanieDeeny Member Posts: 533
    Options

I agree. I’ve always been bothered by how opposite they dress them for their actual personalities (Claudette) and I do find the amount of skin annoying. It’s a game….you don’t have to run around trying to survive half naked. Or shouldn’t have to at least.

I also think the fact they are sexualized so heavily, even though the majority of them are teens-very early 20’s, in very bad taste.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287
    Options

You know you’ve gotten old when you’re tired of sex/sexy in almost everything. After a time it all starts to look the same and I’m glad I don’t have to look at here at least. Definitely old.

speedo clown would be the exception, naturally.

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 4,942
    Options

I know where you are coming from, and I know that some of his outfits are quite revealing and show relatively a lot of skin, but please, please, please leave Jeffrey alone, I don't want my lovely, wheezing Clown any other way.

That said, yeah, most successful survivors are pretty, but that shouldn't suprise anyone. I would say that Haddies failure might be some kind of self-fulfilling prophecy, in that she has next to no cosmetics. Give the woman some cool, dazling outfits, something special to set her appart. I don't know, give her a bollywood outfit line, a wedding dress or some Holi color outfit; if I can come up with that just while I am writing this here, so can the creative heads at BHVRs.

I am also salty that Vittorio just looks like a modern fashion model. Nothing wrong with him being pretty ... but couldn't he be medieval pretty and wearing some cool court-clothings, royal garments, venician carnical costume or bawdy peasant roughs? The excuse that he was wandering the fog for 700years and just took fallen survivors modern ultra-fashionable clothing sounds so lame and paper thin, that I am actually offended by this, and I am usually not. Why would you make him a medieval noble when you don't lean into it? The way he looks he would be more authentic if he were a modern day historian or restorer of a museum or even better: ancient arts salesman.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
    Options

Welcome to the old horror genre. You get used to the sex appeal no worries.

Focus on the stuff you do like and let other focus on the stuff they like

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,424
    Options

Too much? Not at all when you consider the fact that DBD draws from horror franchises that depict their own survivors as very “sexy” either to allure the viewer or their predator (TCM, Dracula, Friday13th) in the film.

I think if anything DBD doesn’t have nearly as much sex appeal. I know this may come as a shocker but just because people want sexier characters in a fantasy game doesn’t mean they want to sleep with them. Lol

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,251
    edited November 2022
    Options

There's too many stupid cosmetic that have zero context other than to be quirky or suggestive but I don't see it as an issue per se. Other than that the cosmetic diversity is the real issue although I get you can't sell an outfit of Jeff in nothing but a G-String as opposed to Meg wearing the 50th cute outfit in her arsenal.

I don't want to see Jeff in a G-string personally I just woke up and cannot think of a proper example. The point I was trying to make is there is a large pool of survivors in this game that have super unique cosmetics that pop out compared to like Meg, Feng, Kate, etc.

For certain killers I actually can get the sex appeal in a roleplay sense but that's usually a lot of people looking past the actual character wearing it. Obviously for Deathslinger there's the whole Cowboy thing and with Ghostface it's more of the anonymous character wearing full leather which is a kink for some people. For characters like Artist, Nurse, Spirit I honestly don't get it but I know there are niche kinks people have that give those characters sex appeal to them.

• Slingshot47
    Slingshot47 Member Posts: 155
    Options

I don't think a lack of sex appeal was what hurt Haddie. By that logic, no one would play Dwight, Bill, Mikaela, or Rebecca.

Quite frankly, I have a lot of issue with Pixel Bush's opinions on the "moral qualities" of DbD. This sounds like him trying to stir drama where it's completely unwarranted. With all of the games on the market THIS is the one with too much sex appeal? Most of the characters are covered in dirt or blood, and I recall BHVR modifying a community-made Claudette skin because it was more sexual than they were okay with. If this game has too much sex appeal, then we've gone back to the Puritan days of repression.

• MeltingPenguins
    MeltingPenguins Member Posts: 3,742
    Options

Personally I do hope they go back for more mix and match in terms of looks etc. Also that they give the new surv clothing from his timeperiod.

• Anniehere
    Anniehere Member Posts: 1,257
    Options

I guess it's easy to come to that conclusion since BHVR cooperating with the players' requests for shirtless characters. I believe they are joking and at the same time, releasing cosmetics that are similar to what they asked for. Some of the new cosmetics go off track, maybe because they want something modern or cool. But BHVR are not the only game that adds unfitting cosmetics to their game. HSH for example had its classic horror aesthetics but the company added ridiculous cosmetics, like a maid dress, wings and so on. I've seen plenty of other games that add female characters with unrealistic body proportions that I don't need to explain here. The cosmetic in DBD is in a good spot, they try to keep the character authentic to their lore and they keep them messy and unclean fitting them to their survival state.

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638
    Options

Yeah, I do. There are literally no sex scenes. It's just weird flirting. The whole thing reads like a 14 year old's fanart captions. And if I had to guess, the whole thing was just to capitalize on Lewd By Daylight.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Whats wrong with people having a crush on a video game chars? There are people that have crushs over comic chars and there are people that have crushs on book based chars. So i really don´t see an issue here. People have different tastes and are free to like what they want.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 7,006
    Options

I would not say so. I would say it opposite. its the buyers that are obsession with sex appeal. supply and demand. bvhr sells cosmetics based off what the popular demand ask's for. for example, if feng is a popular character and everyone buy's feng cosmetics, bvhr will make more feng cosmetic because its smart investment. its same with skimpy clothing and female characters, if skimpy clothing female survivors sell, then it is smart choice to make more skimpy clothing on female survivors. its why people sometimes meme about shirtless myer's because they want to buy a male survivor/killer with a 6-pack appearance. the cosmetic they make are based off the trends of what the player buys.

• egg_
    egg_ Member Posts: 1,933
    Options

I see the word sex on the title, then Cheryl profile picture, and I immediately hope it's @RiskyKara with one of their pyramid head threads

:(

• Izo_Quartz
    Izo_Quartz Member Posts: 250
    Options

i think the only character here that has an issue with sex appeal is the spirit. all she has on are a few bandages for some reason, when logically, she should be wearing something, since i imagine she must have had some clothing on when she was killed and taken into the fog...

Of course there's the hag too but her body has rotted to the point of being unrecognizable.

• Terion
    Terion Member Posts: 810
    edited November 2022
    Options

I have started a discussion about how Vittorios outfit doesnt match his lore. All though i think hes a cool guy and he looks cool. (not me drooling over but rather like i would love to run out motorcycling with him and spend one or 2 drinks, especcially since he is way older than me and i might learn some valuable lessons) But aside from that i dont think it fits yeah.

but i also have never heard something so ridicilous XD i didnt even know that its this big of a debate, like i dont believe bhvr choose him to look that way because of sex appeal. Maybe its a factor but for sure not the main reason. And if you look at all the survivors, ALL of them look better than your average normal real life person. Or "better" in term of no pimples, most being young etc. Thats just general media wanting to look things fashion and beauty, you have that in other games and movies too.

Edit: also Haddie does look quite attractive to me. She failes more of the lack of existing cosmetics and how i am alredy maining 6 survivors and have to do a LOT of lvl up so they get all the perks.

• Terion
    Terion Member Posts: 810
    edited November 2022
    Options

i agree on that! (i do simp for jake, leon and trickster btw) but i dont think this post is about judgeing people, more so analyzing if BHVRs main reason for certain looks is especcially that. Which i dont believe it is.

• LuthirFontaine
    LuthirFontaine Member Posts: 375
    Options

Not enough if any ones askin'

• NoOneKnowsNova
    NoOneKnowsNova Member Posts: 2,782
    Options

Wat

• Brix
    Brix Member Posts: 104
    Options

I think the community itself makes it that way, i dont think the devs wanted us to be this way LMAOO

• Huge_Bush
    Huge_Bush Member Posts: 5,079
    Options

Dbd doesn't have enough sex appeal. I won't be satisfied until they introduce Henry Cavill as a survivor with a shirtless cosmetic where he only wears tighty whities.

• AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252
    edited November 2022
    Options

i don't think i've ever seen anyone simp for the violently abusive racist of all people in that show but here we are

i have been informed you are talking about a different billy, my bad

Post edited by AnneBonny on
  • AnneBonny
    AnneBonny Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 2,252
    Options

i don't care as long as it doesn't funnel cosmetics away from characters that aren't conventionally attractive

oh wait

• StibbityStabbity
    StibbityStabbity Member Posts: 1,839
    edited November 2022
    Options

Every survivor looks like they smell bad.

Personally, I'm not seeing the issue. I don't find any of them remotely attractive. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, I'm just clearly not the target audience if it does.

Dredge, on the other hand, may have gone too far into sex appeal...

• SMitchell8
    SMitchell8 Member Posts: 3,301
    Options

Its the playerbase, not the game. I don't have any sexual affliction over a video game character.

• FreddyVoorhees
    FreddyVoorhees Member Posts: 324
    edited November 2022
    Options

When Lady Dimitrescu ....

Seriously though , she would break the buy button and devs would drown in cash.

• TatsuiChiyo
    TatsuiChiyo Member Posts: 684
    Options

If it is its only the community to blame, which I feel it is so I blame the community. Survivors are nothing more than skins and Killers a gameplay style with a unique twist. Who is in bed with who or who finds what attractive is pointless. But the community does it anyways so the devs cater to it.

• kisfenkin
    kisfenkin Member Posts: 613
    Options

No, there is not enough sex appeal.

This isn't a game for children, so if you are too young for the less than PG 'sex appeal' that already exists you should turn off the game and go admit to your parents that you done wrong.

I find this idea LUDICROUS. This is a game where one side violently slaughters the other, and some people are worried about 'sex appeal'?!

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224
    Options

Close your eyes while healing someone and listen to the sex appeal. The thrust of the hook cannot be denied

• Shaped
    Shaped Member Posts: 5,869
    Options

Why is it always someone with cheryl pfp lol

• MrsGhostface
    MrsGhostface Member Posts: 987
    Options

I like it the way it is. Nothing is over sexualized and I’d like to keep it that way.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,106
    Options

Not enough Feet

• KateMain86
    KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,262
    Options

It doesn't destroy the semblance of the horror aesthetic because its literally part of it. I don't know if you've ever watched horror movies before but sex appeal is like a main theme in a lot of them. Its very marketable so it should be no surprise a horror themed game has this in it. If the next 5 survivors were just very generic in appearance I can promise you a lore tab isn't going to make the masses flock to them. There's nothing really to debate on this "issue" because it isn't an issue. Beauty sells and it will always be one of the most marketable things in entertainment, especially in gaming.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,398
    edited November 2022
    Options

I mean, I see where Pixel is coming from. To a degree I agree as well, but at the same time, it’s never been that egregious. We never had anything visibly flopping about beyond Clown’s belly.

That said, I do think the Pyramid Head cake and shirtless jokes are getting stale.

Post edited by GentlemanFridge on
  • Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,157
    Options

BHVR distracting from the fact their newest Killer's power seems mediocre and their newest map seems kinda mid using thirst tactics

Where have I heard this before...?

Anyone else remember Trickster's release?

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,157
    Options

Shirtless Felix was never funny, I remember when BHVR kept dedicating actual questions in their Q&As to it when cheating was a rampant issue that wasn't being addressed.

The only funny iteration was Shirtless Myers, because anything involving Myers is almost always funny

• VideoGameMage
    VideoGameMage Member Posts: 358
    Options

Kate comes close to be fair. She looks the part of the blonde bimbo that gets shanked in a slasher film first.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Oh i also don´t believe that there is a special reason for certain looks. Next chapter we´ll probably get a "ugly" survivor.

The main reason for certain outfits is just how popular a char is. But that has nothing to do with said char being good looking.