The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

how to "fix" the knight

i have been playing knight quite a lot these past days, just reached iridiscent 1 with him yesterday and i want to share what i think would be good changes to him:

bugs and exploits:

will start by saying that of course all the bugs and exploits should dissapear, not losing your power randomly for the entire match, not superspeed for the entire match if you get stunned, not make your choice triggers by using the guards... but wont talk about then here since is obvious.

quality of life changes:

-if a guard kicks a gen, he should apply the 2.5% penalty, also, if a guard kicks a gen and one or more survivors are on that gen actively repairing it, there should be a scream or killer instint or maybe even an entity block on that gen for like 3 seconds. (maybe depending on the guard?)

-the AI of the guards should be better, they do get stuck quite easily in some spots. (i have had a carnifex getting stuck on rpd twice on the same spot, and each time is 30 seconds of not having a power which is not a good feeling).

if the AI cant be better (easier said than done i know), the guards should automatically unstuck, a guard should never ever have a reason to stop moving during a hunt, so the moment the game detects that the guard is not gaining distance they should enter "ghostform", the same thing they do when they start to chase, to unstuck themselves, also, maybe that time doesnt count towards the hunt either to make up for the AI blunder.

-the detection on guards is quite limited, the "map of the realm" addon is basically needed to start hunts relliably, either dont show the detection circle to survivors so that is easier for them to step on it or simply add some range. if showing the circle is a must then hide the green orb, maybe spirit style, with a sound cue, so that survivors dont really know where the circle is going to start. one of the 3 should be done.

(maybe add 2 meters by default and nerf map of the realm addon to only add another 2 meters?)

-the speed of guards is slow, but more speed for nothing could mean that the knight becomes op, so a good solution would be for speed to increase the longer the patrol last. if you drop a guard and starts the chase at tha moment he woud have the standard speed that they have now. but if you put one on patrol and the patrol last for X seconds before they spot a survivor, that guard should get some % boost to their speed related to that X

(if the detection aura of a patrol includes a hooked survivor at the moment the hunt begins that speed boost should be negated to avoid camping with guard+knight at endgame)

-if the speed cannot be changed, then the hunts need to be longer, 12 second hunts are simply too short. again "dried horsemeat" addon solves this issue. the jailer in particular needs this, since his detection is bigger but his speed slow and his hunt is 12 seconds, is basically impossible for him to hunt anything. would probably extend the hunt from 12 to 16 without addon, carnifex is fine as it is. then maybe nerf the addon to add 2 seconds?

big changes:

-the knight should have more than one patrol available. there should be a token system that goes up to two and consumes one token that recharges over time each time you start a patrol. maybe with an addon that adds a third token.

that way the knight should be able to have multiple patrols at the same time, which would mean that the knight players wouldnt be afraid to actually create patrol path, as of right now, sending a random patrol is a bad idea, if the guard doesnt detect anything you are powerless for the patrol duration, or if the guard does detect something, the guard is not going to be able to injure the survivor by himself so the knight still has to go there, so is better to simply go there in the first place. also, maybe the guards start the hunt with someone that you dont want to hunt, but need to because the guard is not going to catch the survivor by himself and you arent going to catch your intended target without a power. with multiple patrols, you can start a hunt that you are not going to take part in while still harassing the survivor there, while you go to other place and do what you actually want to do.

-if not multiple patrols, the knight should be able to make another patrol the moment a hunt begins, not ends. a survivor shouldnt be able to be hunted by more than one guard at the same time, but if a survivor starts a hunt the knight should rotate to his next guard at that moment and be able to start another patrol that could end in another hunt while the first one is still happening.

Comments

• roundpitt
    roundpitt Member Posts: 578
    edited November 2022

Quality of life changes

I wish you had numbered these, but I'll try my best.

Yes, I think the guard should apply all the effects that the Knight would use, but he needs to be reworked for that to happen. Right now his 3 gen game is too strong, while everything else he does is weak.

Yes, the AI should be better. Fire whoever wrote the AI and hire someone who does AI in Unreal Engine.

I actually like all the information the Knight gives out and I do like the banner. It feels good to play against him (because he's easy to escape from). It does however make him feel useless in anything other than a 3 gen scenario while playing him. So maybe a happy medium is needed. Right now he just gives all the information right up front. You can even see which guard he will summon next.

I think the speed of the guards is good right now. I think if you increased the speed anymore and it would feel oppressive.

I like the idea of hunts being longer. Right now there's not much reason to take the flag if you don't have to, holding W is better.

Big Changes

"the knight should have more than one patrol available"

Currently, the best way to play Knight, is to sit at a 3 gen and never leave it. It's actually pretty oppressive. As long as you don't leave the gens you can hold the game hostage until the servers shut down after an hour. I know you can because I've had it done to me as a survivor and I've done it while playing him. It's incredibly hard to get downs with him while you're doing this though so you mostly have to pester survivors into disconnecting. I actually don't know why they haven't kill switched the Knight because of this. It's terrible gameplay for both sides. I'm not advocating for people to do this, but it's the only way I've found to play this killer at high MMR and reliably get 4 kills or 3 kills and one hatch (But usually several of them will disconnect after about 30 minutes).

While doing this, I've had several survivors tell me to "Kill myself in real life" in the end game chat.

Back to your suggestion, no. Having two patrols would make 3 gens even more oppressive than they are now. This is a terrible idea.

"if not multiple patrols, the knight should be able to make another patrol the moment a hunt begins"

Same thing here. He can already 100% hold a three gen. It's already oppressive. This would make it worse.

• Arkren
    Arkren Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2022

thanks for answering, yes is true that the knight has a strong 3 gen setup. but that has the easy counter of survivors actually learning not to give knight a 3 gen, the same that you learn not do drink from fountains when facing plague or not to stay close when facing legion... is very countereable. plus, is not really the knight what is strong, but the perks that he uses, which are probably going to be nerfed sooner or later, and then the knight would be good at nothing.

maybe no two patrols from the start, but the ability to summon a second one after the first one is at a hunt i feel like is needed

• roundpitt
    roundpitt Member Posts: 578

So if at the start of the game, the Knight picks three gens and never leaves them, how do the survivors "not give the knight a 3 gen"?

• Arkren
    Arkren Member Posts: 10
    edited November 2022

i have seen other killers picking a 3 gen from the start with eruption and the like, even a 4 gen if haddonfield allows it with the ones that can appear near the main house. and i have been able to break it with randoms on solo queue. not always, is hard, but is not guaranteed that the killer can maintain a 3 gen even if they want for the start.

and again, is not the knight the one that is powerful on a 3 gen is the perks that the knights are using. if the knight is using 3 gen regresion perks that rely on gen kicking of course if going to be a powerful gen kicker. but that is not reason to not boost his power. just look at nurse, she has everything, and startruck and noed still work on her and they continue to give her powerful aura reading perks, one each update. all the knight has going for him right now is that if he prepares his build around maintaining 3 gens, and the map happens to have a strong 3 gen and the survivors happen to not carry faster gen progression perks/items... then he can actually do something unfair? all the killers can do something unfair with those "if" clauses, even trapper, just hear this:

trapper runs agitation iron grasp... deadlock? and other perk, if the map has a good basement, he can down one survivor, bring him to be basement, trap it and is 100% killed. you want one even more unfair? if bubba facecamps a survivor, even without perks, is also almost 100% killed. there are countless of things like that in the game. knight has that one, and that one only. and just because he can be strong in a 3 gen situation by using all the gen regression perks availabe for it you are going to deny him of a needed buff when there are far more strong and opresive killers in the game that can also be strong in a 3 gen situation with those perks, even stronger.

the same setup on a blight is stronger simply because blight can make weak 3 gens still work since he is super fast. or nurse, or spirit... and those killers can do other things that knight cant. and the problem is still knight? i dont thnik so. knight needs help, the problem with the 3 gen situation is a perk problem, not a knight problem, the knights power shouldnt suffer for going towards the one estrategy that is viable to him as things are now.