We deployed a fix to solve an issue preventing players from unhooking, healing or picking up Survivors. Players will need to reboot to see the change reflected in-game. Thank you for your patience!

Dead by daylight is boring now

Anara
Anara Member Posts: 1,297
edited December 2022 in General Discussions

I play since 2018, Im a huge fan of dbd, I got a discord server with friends just to play dbd together. At a point we reached so many players. We used to play EVERY night at dbd.

Now we only play for rifts and events. But we get bored and some of us start to stop playing the game even for the rift, they dont care anymore.

I feel like Im the only one still playing in my friend list. But I dont know why I play except the rift.

I still have fun in dbd but its not like before.

And I ask myself : is it me ? or is it the game ?

Answer : its the game, dbd became boring af.

Why ?

Behaviour changed the meta, buffed the killers, created new mechanics like we asked but its not enough....

So what is the problem ?

Players :

- now every players play like its a competition, no fun allowed just skill.

Wrong developpement choices :

- devs encouraging tunneling and slugging.

- new killers discouraging looping strategy for survivors. Hold W meta.

Every games feels the same. Rushing generators, preventing tunneling, tunnel and slug for the 4K, 3gen strategy.

Now there is no place for entertainment, it feels like we are in ranked mode everygame.

What do I suggest :

- Create a ranked mode so people who want to have fun or chill can play in quick mode.

- Delete new jungle gyms who promotes hold W meta.

- For the future killers powers : please go back to create powers who promote mindgames in loops.

- Give us back Hawkins 😌

Its not a whine post, I still love the game but it lost the entertainment aspect of it. I want dbd to feels like scary movie again not a esport game.

What do you think ?

Comments

• danielmaster87
    danielmaster87 Member Posts: 8,974

I'm tired of seeing "boring" be used to describe everything in this game. It can be interpreted in so many different ways, often times because nothing concrete is accompanying it. If holding W is "the only thing you can do," then it's the smart play, not the boring one, unless you think that dumb plays are the only exciting ones.

Buffing the killers has basically never hurt the game. It let them be proactive in chase, changing the way they play to fit the situation. But now they're so down in the dumps that it's mostly irrelevant how they play, so most figure they might as well play the way that can* actually get kills consistently: slugging, camping, and tunneling. Strategies like these, perks, and add-ons are used to push killers towards viability where there was little or no viability before.

If you want to play for fun, stop trying so hard to win and being involved in balance talk. Otherwise it's an oxymoron. Why am I going to design a killer, or a perk of theirs, off of what I think is fun rather than useful? Because I'm incapable of finding perks fun if they're not balanced?

The most important over-arching issue I can think of in this game is matchmaking. Since we're not gonna "split the player base" (almost never used to describe new modes in other games), then we've got to make it to where the low caliber and carefree players don't face off against experienced people who play to win. I know it's hard to do, but it's not impossible. Team MMR will help in this. Other improvements to MMR will help in this.

The more accurate the matchmaking, specifically for high level because you don't balance off low level, the more accurate our perception of the game's balance will be. The better that is, the better the game can be balanced, because people will be educated, through experience and observation, on what's strong and weak. There will be less of "Wraith's really strong!" and "Off The Record doesn't do anything." both of which I will argue against any time. But the point is that good matchmaking is what this game needs to survive.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,657

now every players play like its a competition, no fun allowed just skill.

I've only been playing for about 4 months, but I'd like to understand the idea behind this. How did people use to play? It's a game, the goal is to accomplish the objectives, the faster you do that (example: gen rush/tunneling) the more likely you can accomplish that.

Now I have a problem that certain perks/add-ons are so powerful that they seem necessary/over-powered, but that's a different issue than player's attitudes toward the game.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279

Is dbd the only game you play?

• Anara
    edited December 2022

I only play underused perks and builds made by myself nobody uses.

I dont play like its a ranked mode, but the others are so I need too. Even with my trash tier meme builds 😂

People used to meme more often. The games were slower, there was less genrush and less tunneling. People tried to loop and anti loop the best they can.

The game was more around chases than objectives. And it was wayyyyy more fun.

I play so many games right now, dbd is the one I play the less, but one I love the most !

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,169

Same. Whether or not I enjoy a game is usually unrelated to whether or not I escape or get a 3/4K, unless I happen to be doing a challenge for kills/escapes.

Usually if I've had a good killer game and secured a load of hooks, I'll happily ease off and let the last couple survivors escape. Providing the game has been close enough that they can power the gates without me totally and obviously throwing, because I hate it when they think you're farming and they just stop doing gens and start dancing around you and stuff.

Similarly, if it's been a good survivor game, I've got some repair time in and I've made a few rescues and heals, I'm not going to be tilted if I don't escape. Providing I'm not camped out from the start of the game or my team mates don't leave me to die unnecessarily.

• Bran
    Bran Member Posts: 2,096

The game as been boring for a while now.

Ranked, mind games, all that...bleh.

As survivor, all you do is hold a button on gen or run the same direction around a wall.

As killer, all you do is run around a wall for a few seconds or run around a wall for 5 minutes.

If you ask me the whole tile looping thing needs to get the hatchet.

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

I don't think it's the game to be honest

I think your friends burned out on the game and you desperatly clinging on to it when the biggest pull, being able to hang out with friends is gone

Players have always played like it's a competion

Tunneling and slugging were always in the game

And while less known hold w was always as strong as it is

The issues you are seeing in the game were always there but it didn't matter in the past cause you focussed on the fun things dbd has to offer

Now that magic has burned out and you only see the negative

It's okay to be burned out on a game and just letting it go while being happy with what it gave you.

To many people see it as a problem that needs to be fixed

• versacefeng
    versacefeng Member Posts: 1,129

People didn’t play like their life was on the line.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,142

It's the fate that every online pvp goes over time.

At the start people on the greater scale don't know what's the best tools/strategies and therefore can try a wide variety of things without feeling pressured by the rest.

As the game grow older a meta (most efficient tools available) crystallizes, gets used by the majority and if you don't then you get left behind.

It's the same in DBD as in lol, DotA, R6S, rocket league, Fortnite and so on.

For example rainbow six siege (i don't know if you know the game, but it's too complicated to fully explain):

At release it was enough to know the maps and bunker down at the objective as defender and wait for the attacker.

Nowadays people know the best spots to make peek holes in every wall, spread out through the map to ambush attacker and spawn peek. Half the characters that were fun and useful in the beginning aren't played anymore since their gadgets aren't the most perfect and you will probably get flamed for playing what you like.

But again, that's how the world of online pvp games goes, it is in our nature to optimize and so the most efficient is found and spread via social media and YouTube, so the general public imitates it and the people that want to goof off get left behind. But pvp aren't a casual genre in the first place anymore.

• Anara

Its not true there was less competition before and more fun.

The only thing which has not change is people playing meta perks

• Igbylucy
    Igbylucy Member Posts: 47

It’s definitely a different feel than 2 years ago. Too much DC and way too much aura reading. No one wants to fight to the death anymore. I’m only playing right now cause it’s cold as hell outside.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,657

However, a lot of people agree that playing the game optimally is not the most fun experience. Tunneling takes out one player entirely, who can't play the game at all because in 3 min they're out with little rewards.

So I get the idea behind this, I generally don't play killer because I feel like I have to avoid doing the obvious thing to keep the game interesting, but I'm surprised how frequently the player base puts this on other players instead of BHVR.

As the game grow older a meta (most efficient tools available) crystallizes, gets used by the majority and if you don't then you get left behind.

This makes sense. Games get old and we look back on the old version as if it was radically superior when what it was was new and fresh. Though the creators of DBD deserve massive praise if it took six years to get there.

Isn't that what the game is going for though? Tension? That's what has kept me around DBD. Escaping actually feels significant. Getting caught at the end/losing a teammate late actually hurts.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

"I'm surprised how frequently the player base puts this on other players instead of BHVR."

I mean, I think to a certain degree it's fair to put it on the players. Sure, BHVR are the ones that make the game rules and what is or is not possible, but the intent and attitude of players do count. The game is supposed to leave enough space for players to have agency in what they're doing with the resources the game gives them. If people use that agency to be toxic or uncaring, it's on them.

If a survivor is teabagging you at the gate after a 0K, are their bad manners the fault of BHVR ? It's not hard to not be a sore winner... It does not justify removing spam crouching, as it does have other meanings. They could just have been more graceful in their win. I've had teams run me down and have a 4-man escape, yet leave items and be encouraging in postgame chat. At some point, if players have agency, it's not the game anymore, it's their own behaviour. (pun intended)

If a killer is tunneling, they clearly don't care about the fun of the other player. Which is, by all means, their prerogative. They don't have to play fairly. But it's not on BHVR.

At least, that's my opinion =)

• DashMonsta008XV
    DashMonsta008XV Member Posts: 611

There's really no sense of urgency.Only for one side.What made Friday a success was the fear that the killer could kill any moment.Whos going to be scared of a killer who's just their for aesthetics and atmosphere.Killers need to e overpowered for survivors to get that thrill.If they can heal and abuse perks and items than you lose the value of the killer and you just become their dartboard.

Survivor's are supposed to get out but their not entitled to an escape.Theres no real fear for SWF running three dead hards a boon and gen rushing meta they just need to waste your time and they win.

Barrow time is a fine example of an abused mechanic.It's another time factor for SWF.

• DashMonsta008XV

I don't know why people choose to tunnel but, I bet even if they don't realize it, when their being tunneled their having the most fun,I'm sure that's why they provoke killers into chasing them the whole game most of the time,but they want a free escape at the end.

• DashMonsta008XV

I literally didn't carbon copy your post, I only read after posting after reading OP

• HugTheHag

It's fine ! I actually don't really agree with your points.

I don't want to debate though, so I'll leave it at that. Have a good day =)

• Tranquil_Blue
    Tranquil_Blue Member Posts: 335

What exactly do you mean by "less competition"? What kinds of things were survivors and killers doing then that they don't do now? Were you playing at the highest red ranks (in the old rank system) or not?

• DashMonsta008XV

You guys don't agree with nothing,I post.Ive never been so wrong in my life xD

• HugTheHag

Oh, it's not about you being wrong !!

Everyone has their own opinions, and yours are as valid as any. We just have a different vision of fun. Some things you find exciting I would find discouraging, and some things I find fun you might find boring. It doesn't mean any of us is objectively wrong =D

• HugTheHag

I didn't know this game existed, haha. I'm very non competitive and usually don't like pvp, so DbD is the only game of this genre I play. =)

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,546

Making a competitive mode would be good

Plus fun is subjective... People have fun stomping noobs, people have fun memeing around... ETC

So separating the two would be a good move

But the major issue is the player themselves...

• DashMonsta008XV

So rank mode it is 👍

That should be easy to implement

What about 2 v 8 ?

• DashMonsta008XV

It's not really competitive,it depends on who you face like DBD

• DashMonsta008XV

I'll and breathe rank mode and keep that nastys away from you all casuals

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

A ranked queue would split the player-base, make queue times longer, and sweaty players would queue into unranked anyway.

I do agree that the game has become a bit too sweaty though. MMR may have been a mistake in hindsight.

• Anara

It was more around chases and less objectives. People tried to mindgame now they only hold W in chase.

There was less tunneling it wasnt seen as a strategy, now tunneling is normalized as an effective strategy. Back then tunneling was seen as not fair.

The only thing that didnt change is camping. There was and there is still same amount of campers 😂

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,153

I don't necessarily mind that people play the game like a competition. It's just that the meta perks are awful from a gameplay perspective at the moment. Killers could go for chases pre-6.1. You'd just lose if you were bad at those chases. Players have a hard time with that, and apparently BHVR did too. If they wanted to buff killers a little bit, fine. Some of the lower end M1 killers definitely needed it. But there should never be a point where perks are covering up skill gaps to the degree that they are right now.

• Aceislife
    Aceislife Member Posts: 241

Only you yourself know whats fun to you. You figure out yourself ways to entertain yourself. Change your playstyle, or maybe play a different game?

• Anara

Very constructive..

I said I care about the game, if I wasnt I would have already leave it.

The game could be better dont you think ? Or is it already perfect for you ?

• RavenBirb
    RavenBirb Member Posts: 466

we need different objectives, different types of trials not just generators over and over

• FlameGNG
    FlameGNG Member Posts: 746

killers has been hugely buffed... "be completely invulnerable due to a range of second chances and strong pallets, and then just heal right back up again" back in the days when i played killer survivors could heal after 2 pallets that is not the case... If thats a problem for you bring sloppy... killer is just to easy i play bubba with troll perks not even chasing correctly just messing around and i still win without any problem. Survivor is trash soloQ i lose 70% of my matches with friends i win 100% i havent lost a single 4swf match in a whole week the closest we were to losing was a 2 man escape which is a tie?

The game is more balanced sure. Yet they make updates no one wants. Why did they remove so you cant see your ping in the lobby? why lower the DC penalty? the 6.4.0 patch just made camping and tunneling even worse one time i had campers literally 60% of my matches. The devs doesnt even play their own game i mean have you seen them play?

Killers once said that it wasnt fun to play killer Mathieu responded with play something else haha. They dont listen to anybody they have started doing it now which is good but still. The knight DLC has broken the whole game dh doesnt work, you get weird animation bugs, the wiggle skillchecks are broken, the twins bug inst fixed etc.

(while this might sound all negative i still find the game enjoyable :p )

• Diablitokawaii
    Diablitokawaii Member Posts: 38

I like My Dog he is so cool and grateful for Everything i'm just trying to be more like My Dog woof woof

• Aceislife
    Aceislife Member Posts: 241

Oh yeah there is definetly some flaws. Thats why you give reasonable feedback, perhaps you can make a change. I hope you'll find the game fun again.

• Anara

I hope too because Im slowly leaving dbd. Now I just play for rift, at some point I will get sick of the rift, then I will leave.

I dont play because I want to I play because Im used to.

And thats a real problem.