Anyone feel like solo queue is just not worth it in the current meta?

Options

I really feel like I just can't do it anymore while full gen control builds, particularly with Eruption, are the current killer meta.

Match after match killers are bringing in 3-4 gen control perks and almost always Eruption and Eruption is making solo queue unplayable at this rate.

Sadly I feel the only options are to either play easy mode and SWF or just drop survivor altogether and play killer. Anyone else feeling solo is being ruined by the Eruption meta?

Comments

• xfireturtlex
    xfireturtlex Member Posts: 419
    edited December 2022
    Options

I think it has more to do with survivor quality than perks. Eruption and gen slowdown can suck, but there's ways to play around it all if you know what to do. It seems like more often than not when a teammate gets hit with incapacitated or sometimes even DMS, they just run around all crazy. Idk if its panic or frustration or what, but dont run straight towards the killer or out in the open. Hide. Wait it out. Pull a chase that lasts more than 10 seconds....something. Seems to me like everyone simply gives up at the slightest inconvenience these days.

• kingcarl2012
    kingcarl2012 Member Posts: 1,710
    Options

I have never been a fan of solo q, I have always felt if im gonna play solo, I'm gonna play killer so I don't have to deal with garbage teammates.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140
    Options

If I'm playing and no friends are online, I'd much rather play killer to be honest. It's easier for me to have better games as killer than as survivor, let alone SoloQ.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,734
    Options

Yeah I feel that, I just want the incentive but I dunno if it is even worth it at present

• HugTheHag
    edited December 2022
    Options

With enough Survivor puddings, you can make your own incentives hahaha

I was lucky yesterday, incentives were on killer for a while

Made 175k bps in one game with incentives + pudding + cute survivors willing to play around in snowmen and farm a bit

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

Nice, yeah I do feel it is easier to compensate on killer either way.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

Yeah a lot of my friends don't play solo at all but I have always enjoyed the randomness of solo and not having to wait for others etc. I play at weird hours due to my work so that also complicates things...

But yet again had another match where Eruption carried the killer against solos. The situation is ridiculous

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,558
    Options

If it was me just now, I apologize for what I've done.

If it was not me, I still apologize to those guys.

• TheycallmeLix
    TheycallmeLix Member Posts: 334
    Options

Wish I could help you out bro! If only you were playing on EU servers ☹️😔

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

I agree with DS, 3 seconds is just not enough and you almost always cannot make any distance and it renders the perk useless and not worth taking up a slot.

I also agree that survivor was easier, or I feel the game was a bit too survivor sided say a year ago. But I think they may have pushed the balance maybe a little too far towards the killer side, in particular the ability to stack slowdown perks.

If you bring a full slowdown loadout with Eruption on S tier killers, a solo team has no chance if you are even slightly competent

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,205
    Options

Remember, killers don't know if you're playing solo or in a SWFs. If anything they need to treat every group as a SWFs.

Solo isn't the problem when MMR works, the problem are SWFs when MMR works.

• Katzengott
    Options

As i said, they need to as there is no telltale in the pre-lobby if the survs are SWFs and/or sweatlords in general.

Cosmetics won't tell anything, low Prestige Levels can be smurfs and no items can still easy quickswitch.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,803
    Options

@MaTtRoSiTy

just play swf and save yourself from any further torture. solo q full of bull$h¡ț with little reason to play. just a few examples

●random DC's every 4 to 5 games which is auto L for u

●bad teammates/match making usally to the detriment of the survivors

●(camping, tunneling, slugging ) These are fair viable strategies but only server to reinforce your helplessness in solo q as u can't communicate the need for help to the team most of the time.

●And last! the most important reason..... (drum roll) u don't win often.

Most people delude themselves into thinking wins aren't that important and they just wanna have fun. But those mental gymnastics never last long as u start to complain "I'm not having fun" when the match isn't going your way. Solo q isn't miserable because of the meta. It miserable because the average player rarely wins.

• Mockingjay_S451
    Mockingjay_S451 Member Posts: 393
    Options

I have to disagree about playing to have fun means you are deluded. I mainly play solo. I have one friend that plays duo with me once a week for a few hours.

I honestly go into every game assuming I am going to die, and if I end up escaping it truly feels like a huge win. But regardless, I have fun.

Do I get upset if I’m tunnelled or camped at 5 gens? Sure, who wouldn’t, as we all want to just play the game. But I just GG, Next.

To me, wins aren’t that important. I take all the bloodpoints I can get and then go into another match.

Maybe this is because I’ve only been playing for about 7 months so I’m not jaded or tilted enough yet? Who knows. But I play to have fun and and my fun isn’t dependant on escaping.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

Wait til you have many thousands of hours in the game...

Then you will start to feel the pain of knowing you outplayed your opponent at every step but they simply brought in a perk (Eruption) that handed them free wins. Even if they cant catch you, they don't have to as they can just pick off the weaker links in the team and so long as they keep kicking gens they can keep you incapacitated so you cant do anything.

I am okay with there being weak links in the team too as playing killer against full teams of gods is not fun either. But the gen control stacking meta is overwhelmingly oppressive.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Maybe ask yourself why killers are still using 3-4 slowdown perks.

With over 3k hours i also don´t feel outplayed by Eruption when playing solo. Usually not every survivor is affected by the explosion. It slows gens somewhat down, but requires the killer to kick a gen and then down someone. In a normal match, either the perk is still on cd or a gen is repaired faster than what it takes the killer to down a survivor.

• HugTheHag
    Options

I think SWF is a problem when mmr doesn't work.

Assuming mmr works perfectly, and assuming SWF really does have a higher escape rate at any skill level, then their mmr would inflate and put them in front of killers who are able to handle them. In a majority of cases, SWF would not be a problem, because mmr would take care of harmonizing SWF and Solo escape rates by boosting SWFs to a higher mmr where they'd have the intended win rate, roughly 50% of the time.

The problem lies when mmr keeps putting really good SWFs against killers that aren't well adjusted against them.

As it is, there aren't enough players to make sure mmr works as well as it should, so the game will put anyone and everyone together if it deems them loosely close in mmr, and that means some really good SWFs are matched against killers that have a harder time handling them.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

I know why they are using full slowdown builds - because they are relying on a broken meta to compensate for an inability to get pressure/downs.

I have over 3k hours myself and I am finding I am being hit with Eruption several times in an average match. Sure, sometimes maybe only once but if it isn't getting me it sure is getting my team mates. The perk is broken when it wins matches by itself and anyone being honest knows this

• Tsulan
    Options

Yeah the argument that a perk wins a match by itself got old pretty fast, when it was used on the old Undying Ruin. Which is probably being missed right now.

Killers are still feeling forced to equip so many slowdown perks, because gens are still to fast. People would really like to switch to something more fun but when gens fly, there is no other way around.

• Tsulan
    Options

UPDATE: Just had a match against a killer with Eruption. It triggered twice during the whole match with a total of 3 survivors affected. Its 25 seconds. With the time between downing a survivor, picking him up, carry him to a hook and hooking, the timer was almost over.

The game has other problems than Eruption.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

Of course the game has other problems but that does not mean you don't address the glaringly obvious ones though and anyone who plays solo queue is well aware of how Eruption is making life miserable.

Even considering your example match (I did say there are some where I only get hit maybe once) you say 3 survivors are affected for only 25 seconds... but that isn't really the full picture as they collectively are affected for 75 seconds and in solo queue even a minute is a big thing.

I am being affected by a minute or more by myself on bad matches and there is no counter. I don't even know how to reason with people who don't see this as a problem?!

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

Yeah I would say my average escape rate is probably 30%... I may escape 3 games in a row at one point but most matches I still die.

I still manage to pip up most of the time unless I just give up and go next as the situation is hopeless but escapes are getting rarer than they were in the past.

I do think the game was too survivor sided before but it has gone too far the other way now imo

• Tsulan
    Options

If you start to count things collectivly, then take a second to consider how many minutes killers spend picking up, carrying survivors and hooking.

As i said, by the time the killer finished the hooking animation, my cd was almost over. Even though he downed a survivor right next to me. Wasn´t really inconvenient, as the killer also isn´t getting much progress during that time + he needs to kick those gens. Which gives a headstart in chases. Which are far more valuable.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

But survivors work collectively, clearly.

The thing is, clearly killers do feel they are getting value from kicking gens over starting a chase. I am seeing them do it mid chase lol...

I watched VOD from a streamer myself and a big streamer in my region were playing against where both me and the big streamer ended up DCing (not condoning this mods!) due to his ridiculous Eruption based build. When I watched it back he was even saying how it was worth it to kick gens mid chase to get "eruption value" which ironically was what made two of us say screw this and leave.

It is getting really tedious dealing with this over and over

• Olokun
    Olokun Member Posts: 264
    Options

to be honest, 3 hours of playing without a an afk , escaped twice , at least getting some Bloodpoints . if BP bonus did not exist i would have stopped playing (at least) survivors , not worth it.

• MaTtRoSiTy
    Options

I just escaped twice in a row which is fortunate as I had that challenge to do... but I escaped maybe once in the two hours before that. Survivor incentives have been on all night it is 11pm where I am...

• SunaIIanu
    SunaIIanu Member Posts: 767
    Options

Atleast on steam you can look at their friendlists, which works most of the time for me.

I don't know if console has a similar feature though.

• HectorBrando
    HectorBrando Member Posts: 3,167
    Options

The few matches I play as Survivor make me feel like me and the other Solos exist only to give someone a power trip.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077
    edited December 2022
    Options

Yes, with an if.

No, with a but.

Basically, while there are a few things BHVR could do to help solo queue out, this game cannot be balanced around solo queue or else SWF just walks up and down killers all day.

Solos are going to be at a disadvantage, whether you're facing Eruption or Surge.

However, if you understand this and go in more to practice and last as long as you can, it's not terrible. I play a lot of solo queue.

One thing though - let's say that BHVR nerf Eruption to Thana levels of uselessness.

Do people complain less, or do they just switch to whatever meta perk takes it's place? I'm predicting Call of Brine or Pain Resonance.

Hyperbole.

Eruption is at I think 18% pick rate.

Considering that DH was at 70+% for years without being changed at higher MMRs, surely turnabout is fair play?

Was playing some solo queue last night. You see a fair amount of Eruption, but it's certainly not every game.

Also - people DC'd like crazy before the shakeup. You aren't going to stop people throwing a sulk when they make a mistake, get downed early, face a killer they don't like or just want an easier game. That's not on killers, that's on survivors.

Argh, this. This so much.

Eruption is a good perk, but it's not a frigging 'I Win' button like old OoO was in SWF or prenerf DS. It's a 'win more' perk. This is just the newest incarnation of 'whatever the current killer meta is makes it automatically OP because I lost to it that one time and must be complained about endlessly until it gets nerfed into oblivion'.

• Katzengott
    edited December 2022
    Options

I wouldn't call checking each survs profile every single time a solution.

Same with checking hours. Luckily PC killers can't check my hours (and vice versa) as im on console.

• Tsulan
    Options

But why would that streamer dc? Because he can´t repair or heal for 25 seconds? Thats not really an issue. Maybe a nuisance but not an issue.

This just feels like Undying Ruin, where people complained that they had to cleanse 5 hex perks in order to get rid of it. When in reality they could just ignore it, as it had no effect on survivors that repaired.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,096
    Options

The big thing is matchmaking. This level of skill variance between teammates can work in other games where there's more carry potential by a single player. But the carry potential isn't there in DbD. I'd have a nice chunk of change if I had a dollar for every time a killer gave up on chasing me to tunnel out a weak teammate instead and then turned that into a 4k. The killer always has the option to go after a weaker player in DbD, and there is ALWAYS a much weaker player with how loose matchmaking is anymore.

The devs wildly over-corrected from initial SBMM feedback. Solo queue was awesome for those first couple months. Some of the most fun I ever had on both sides. But many killers weren't happy about facing 4 good players in the same game, so the devs turned it back into old ranks.

• Olokun
    Olokun Member Posts: 264
    Options

Considering that DH was at 70+% for years without being changed at higher MMRs, surely turnabout is fair play?

Before the patch wich nerfed DH i ve never had a problem with it as killer was counterable , less than now but it was. was nerfed because most killers complained, now with the latency it is miserable. i think the old DH had his place in this new meta.

Was playing some solo queue last night. You see a fair amount of Eruption, but it's certainly not every game.

never said it was every game but i see the same 6 perks every games

Scourge Hook: Pain Resonance

Call of Brine

Eruption

Dead Man's Switch

Corrupt Intervention

Pop Goes the Weasel

i rarely see killers with less than 3 perks generators perks listed above every game while Survivors have more variety of perks unless some like Boons.

Also - people DC'd like crazy before the shakeup. You aren't going to stop people throwing a sulk when they make a mistake, get downed early, face a killer they don't like or just want an easier game. That's not on killers, that's on survivors.

i dont agree totally , there is a lot of more d/c or suicide on hooks now , every 3 games there is a suicide .

Today , 6 hours gaming, never paused the game, i escaped 5 times , Killers mostly done 3 or 4 kills, i counted only escapes.

10 mins a game so 5 games an Hour , around 30 games ,5 escape let you count the escape ratio how this is fair ?

Game was well balanced before new SBMM update for SoloQ than Now .

• SunaIIanu
    SunaIIanu Member Posts: 767
    Options

It's slighty inconvenient, but not a big deal imo, I always check the profiles of my opponents and teammates.

Can you check the profiles of players from the same console though?

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,367
    edited December 2022
    Options

The reason killers pick out the weakest is simply strategy that happens in every game. As far as tunneling and 3 genning, that’s a symptom of the games poor balance. Gens go so fast they feel forced into it. So in an ideal scenario we’d fix map design so that killers have more time and then in turn we’d prevent the severity of how well killers can tunnel or camp as well as reducing gen slow down perk effectiveness. In other words, the negative things you’re talking about here are the symptoms of a problem, not the problem themselves and we have to fix the core issue first.

• Grumblephant
    Grumblephant Member Posts: 73
    Options

Solo Q isn't good. I know at its core, solo q is the true DBD experience IF IT'S WITH THE RIGHT PEOPLE. Like what others have said, if you have good teammates who don't DC or suicide on hook, it can be such an Endorphin rush to silently work together and 4E. Sadly that doesn't happen except in rare circumstances.

That's part of the reason why I've been on the Discord looking for people.

• VoidOfMe
    VoidOfMe Member Posts: 416
    Options

I'm playing solo Q "for fun" which mean I don't care about winning.

So I'm at a place where:

• Do you want to tunnel me? Go ahead and tunnel me, I'll die and jump right into the next game, easy
    • Do you want to camp me? Go ahead, if my teammates are smart they'll open the gates, if they're not... Well, whatever, I died anyway, next.

I can have fun that way, I choose to, cause if I cared I definitely wouldn't be having fun cause let me tell you, face camping, tunneling, and slugging is more common than ever right now.

• MegMain98
    MegMain98 Member Posts: 2,907
    Options

I’m not a fan of solo queue because it’s boring to play without friends in my own experience. I like doing dumb things with friends and just talking.

I usually only play with @Cornpopers_Evan in a duo so it’s really not that much different than solo queue in terms of strength. I’ve had good and bad solo queue matches but the quad gen slowdowns are super oppressive against solo queue notably Eruption.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077
    Options

Okay, going point by point.

• You...don't think that there was anything wrong with the old DH? Well, you're certainly alone there mate. But my point is people keep bringing up how often you see Eruption, without realizing that DH was over triple that rate.
    • It was nerfed because *it was dictating the entire meta at any MMR above intermediate*. Again...70% usage rate? Why do you think that was?
    • Well...yes? Regression perks are how the killer meta has worked for years now. Because anything that isn't regression is aura reading, and anything that isn't aura reading is - at best - gimmicky and mediocre. About the only lethality perk I can think of worth running on a few killers is STBFL - which, before the Eruption QQ train left the station, was the current topic.
    • Also - I almost never see Pop anymore. I'd say I see more Deadlock than DMS/PR, a good few Overcharges and Surges and the rare Pentimento. That's...what? Nine perks? That's the best it has ever been. Do you mean 'I want all regression perks nerfed?' because that's not going to happen without massive buffs to killer lethality or a bigger nerf to gen speeds.
    • Let me clarify - I saw as more DCs in *losing games* before as I do now. BHVR wanted to increase kill rates, so the amount of losing games went up and so did the quitters.
    • Were you playing solo? If so, that's your issue. This game cannot and should not be balanced around solos, because that makes SWF unbeatable.
    • But okay, let me explain the math. Otz did this infinitely better, but I can't find that video now sadly. Basically, kill rate is over 50%, which is where BHVR wants it (of course, if you took out quitter games this number would be much lower, but that's another discussion). This accounts for both solo and SWF. Going by BHVR's numbers, SWFs are about 10% more likely, overall, to escape than solos. So the solo survival rate is about 40%.
    • This means that you're going to have losing streaks due to bad luck. But...in those losses, do yourself a favor and count how many of those were caused by another survivor either giving up, going AFK, DCing or suiciding. Because my last few survivor sessions, playing solo, when I removed those I had an escape rate of maybe 50%. Which is fine.