The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The First Nerf Windows of Opportunity Thread

ByeByeQ
ByeByeQ Member Posts: 1,104

Getting laughed at in the other thread has inspired me to play Devil's Advocate and make this thread. I don't really care but this should be entertaining so why not?

I am not calling for it to be nerfed, I firmly believe it will get nerfed sooner rather than later. If 6.1.0 taught me anything it's that BHVR's idea of "balance" is based on usage rates more than anything else.

And currently Windows is the second-highest used survivor perk in DbD, only beaten by Dead Hard. According to one source at least.

Should it be nerfed? Not really, it's just an information perk and can be countered by blindness.

However, should it always be on all the time without any condition whatsoever? Should survivors be able to drop 5 pallets in one chase and still be shown where the next one is? Does it encourage interesting gameplay from survivors because it is always on? I think the answers to all these questions is no.

Merry Christmas everyone.

Comments

• ByeByeQ

Pop and Ruin weren't destroyed for the sake of balance. They were destroyed so BHVR could sell more Freddies, Nemesises and Sadakos.

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

Imo they were destroyed because of usage rate instead of balance.

• ByeByeQ
    edited December 2022

It's a convenient thing to hide behind.

But usage rates don't completely explain why they completely nuked Pop & Ruin. They could have made much more reasonable changes to Pop & Ruin and lowered their usage rates to reasonable levels. Lowering Pop to flat 20% (not 20% of current) and only adding the death deactivation (and not also destroying its regression) would have been those reasonable decisions.

It just makes too much sense to me that it was a business decision. Especially knowing BHVR.

If WoO is just a tool for new players then why do we see a high percentage of all players using it?

Most often I am seeing WoO played alongside Dead Hard and Resilience. These are not new players. These are players who want easy mode DbD who don't have to even have to think when they play the game. Drop glowing yellow thingy and move on to next glowing yellow thingy...

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,590

What seems more probable:

1. They don't know how to balance well
    2. It's a sneaky plot to squeeze extra money out of players

I mean really. #2 is much less likely.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Some add-ons also got this treatment. Remember flask of bleach and madeline’s scarf?

• MaTtRoSiTy
    MaTtRoSiTy Member Posts: 1,849

I think Windows is healthy for the game, it allows newer players to at least have some chance to navigate a map and not get completely destroyed within a couple of seconds. Even then, it isn't really going to help an inexperienced player and the really high level players never run it so it sure isn't meta with the top end of the skill range

• xfireturtlex
    xfireturtlex Member Posts: 419

They'll probably nerf it. I think they'll take another pass at DH too, now that people have figured out how to use it again. Neither of em need a nerf, but it will happen.

Spose Ima weird one. I din't like windows at all. Clutters up the screen and makes it harder for me to be effective. I've also been playing for a long time and am a decent looper. Guess it's good for people to get to know the layouts, but I also think it can hold back people that get too dependent on it. Why would you ever learn how to recognize a strong loop if it's just highlighted for you. So for that reason alone I hope it gets toned down a little.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,404

I don't think it needs a nerf, because i think in some games it can be detrimental to the team, particularly when used by those who don't know how to loop. Survivors start off the game in a strong position, with plenty of pallets at their disposal. As the game progresses, these resources slowly diminish. All you need is one pallet-dropping-happy survivor dropping as many as they please to avoid taking a single hit, and creating dead zones early in the game as a result. It's a very handy perk, when used conservatively.

• VideoGameMage
    VideoGameMage Member Posts: 358

Windows is fine. It's strong but not busted, but as the meta shake up patch proved, that fact won't stop the devs from obliterating a perk. With a perk overhaul patch #2 hanging in the horizon, I won't be surprised to see it on the chopping block. The devs keep at it, we'll end up with more ######### tier perks than good perks. Maybe that's the end game. When all the perks on both sides are garbage, there finally won't be any more complaints.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,210
    edited December 2022

I used it before the buff and it was fine for me. Now everyone is getting why.

The difference is: Console players. Maps got more dark with the reworks and now pallets are harder to spot aswell.

We can't just brighten the screen, we can't lower the graphics and/or use filters. Which is fine, as we're playing the game AS INTENDED. That's the only reason i (needed) to start use Windows. For killers i don't see a problem here. The problem are big maps and pallet RNG. Which is already there, Windows just shows you the mess. Also Windows is one less perk slot, -1 slot for second chances.

• TheWheelOfCheese
    TheWheelOfCheese Member Posts: 666

What about when windows is used with a Game offering? Hmmmmmm?

This combination is OP, so obviously the devs should do something about it and nerf Pig.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,558

I don’t understand how WoO could possibly be the issue, and not the maps themselves.

Windows is solely telling you what you’ve got to work with. If that’s way too much stuff, that’s not WoO’s doing.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,404

I know you're having a laugh, but I feel like anyone who uses a Game offering with WoO is wasting a perk spot lol

• TheWheelOfCheese

Toward the start of a match, yeah. Toward the end, knowing which parts of the map are dead without having to remember and/or know where your teammates threw pallets already can be quite valuable.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,268

now here's a WoO nerf I can get behind: remove the breakable wall auras from it 😎

No, but seriously. Using WoO to just drop every pallet is the wrong way to use it. - As an info perk it's good to have to avoid running into deadzones (especially in SoloQ) - and to avoid creating deadzones.

But let's entertain the idea that WoO is getting nerfed. - What could they even nerf? The range? Make it conditional that it triggers only every x seconds? That it needs to be activated by a stun and lasts for x seconds? That it only works while sprinting? - Or standing still? That it only shows windows? - Or only pallets? ---- All of these changes would make it borderline useless. Then again. It's not like BHVR has any issues making perks useless - regardless of whether or not they were overpowered (yes, I'm still sad about Pharmacy).

• GoodBoyKaru
    GoodBoyKaru Member Posts: 22,740

Now is this a problem with WOO or is this a problem with The Game?

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013

Idk, imo windows has high usage because it is an essential rather than OP perk.

It gives new players a fighting chance, truly experienced players don't need it because they already know the tiles far better than their home street I'd imagine.

I'd consider myself a medium level experienced player. (Started august 2022, 20 days playtime, and i usually go pretty hard on games I enjoy)

I still need Windows to run a truly effective chase. And I still get stomped by killers on the regular.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

What’s worse is the better purple version of the add on remains unchanged. It was very clearly adjusted due to stats and nothing else

• Eelanos
    Eelanos Member Posts: 390

Let's give it the DS treatment. When hit, see all windows and pallets for 3 seconds and then disable it for the rest of the match. Maybe even give the killer a 3 second Haste after vaulting a highlighted window or dropping a pallet. That'll keep it balanced.

Let's be honest here, the reason this perk is so widely used is because all other survivor perks suck anyways and pallets and windows are going to be always universally useful, so might as well make looping more reliable than having perks disable as soon as you touch the ground.

Just look at DS and Blast Mine. There's so many requirements and exceptions to their activation that it's not worth having.

Reassurance was meant to prevent camping and it literally requires both the killer to camp and you to lick the survivor's feet to apply it.

Perks don't do what they're supposed to do, so the best option is to just equip Windows and try not to die for as long as possible.

• nf452
    nf452 Member Posts: 18

Exactly. The reason it became one of the top used perks was the nerf to smithereens of great perks like ds, iron will, spine chill, base kit BT among others in conjunction with its buff, which finally made it useful. WoO is a great soloq perk that shows you which pallets have been dropped by your teammates.It is not going to show you what loop is strong lol #########. You already know the moment you go to that tile or loop if it is weak or strong, even without WoO. It is not going to show you how to run that loop effectively, or which is the most efficient path to run a tile. The killer can still mindgame you, since it does not give you wallhacks. And yes it is used by old,new,good or bad survivors alike. If other great survivor perks were not nerfed so hard it was WoO was not going to be one of the top survivor perks. In not expecting nerfs on WoO anytime soon. It is just an aura reading perk, which is great for any level of survivor,especially in soloq.

About reassurance; if a killer sees it and still commits to camping, you really dont need to stay at the hook. If there is a gen at the proximity, it's free progress. Even better if you have, hyperfocus,stake out or both. If there are more than one reassuarnces on the team, the camping killer is just losing the game at a faster rate, since you can apply it 2 more times (different survivors) for the same hooked state.

• Rogue11
    Rogue11 Member Posts: 1,409
    edited December 2022

I hope it gets nerfed. There's nothing more boring than chasing a survivor holding W and pre-dropping every pallet following Google Maps. Bring back the cooldown and/or reduce the range. Just because it wasn't used as much before the buff doesn't mean it wasn't useful. Currently it's easy.

Also nerf gen regression meta (again).

Post edited by EQWashu on
  • kisfenkin
    kisfenkin Member Posts: 616

Windows really isn't as good as everyone thinks. If you play the game enough you know where the pallets and windows should be. The only advantage above that is knowing which ones have been used. To some degree Windows is actually a bad perk, because the players that use it tend to throw way more pallets than they personally are allotted in a match (if they divided the pallets by four) and this leaves less pallets for everyone else while only extending a chase a little bit longer.

I personally feel that Windows of Opportunity is the perfect example of an over-hyped perk. A bunch of streamers starting showing off how useful it can be for a new player and all their survivor main followers started using it like the cultists they are. This happens regularly. I bet these streamers could start hyping up how great Iron Will still is (it is bad now) and some people would blindly follow them totally oblivious to the fact that it deactivates when you are exhausted. There are a lot of reasons you can become exhausted that don't include personal speed boosts.

• TheWheelOfCheese

Oh definitely The Game. Thematically it's a cool map but balance and fun were clearly not even remotely a consideration for the team that designed it.

• ByeByeQ

I'll just leave this here.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 3,159

I think Windows having such high usage rate is a product of literally having no information in SoloQ.

I cant tell you how many times Ive ran myself into a complete deadzone because my teammates used all the pallets nearby, and Windows solves that issue.

In SWF, you can at least call out what pallets youve used. In SoloQ, the lack of information just really leaves more to be desired.

As for someone "dropping 5 pallets in one chase", if you dont like it, you dont have to chase that survivor, just drop chase and go for someone else. Or continue to chase them and burn through all the resources the Survivors have. Either one works. But I digress.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Well, sure? It's a really comfortable perk, especially if you struggle to see stuff on the darker maps (I know, I run an OLED screen and oh man some of the Autohaven maps, Midwich...can barely see anything if I play during sunlight hours).

• ByeByeQ

Many people are saying that only newbs and SoloQs are running WoO when that's just not true. I frequently see SWF members running it too.

My problem with WoO is that survivors can pretty much turn their brain off and run to the next yellow aura. If the perk wasn't always on at least they'd have to try to do some memorization and planning then it would be much more healthy.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

It's only "turning your brain off" if you play the most safest boring way possible aka predropping every pallet

But they would do that anyway regardless if they have windows or not, just because you know where to go next - it doesn't automatically mean you'll be able to play it 100% perfectly. A lot of survivors have tile layouts/pallet spawns memorised and it takes just as much brain power as using the perk if you ask me.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,351

Nerfing WoO wouldn't change the fact that many maps are just ridicious in the tiles they can spawn together.

• Iron_Cutlass
    Iron_Cutlass Member Posts: 3,159

That feels less of an issue of the perk, and more of an issue with the maps itself, since Survivors could theoretically just do the same without WoO to begin with.

I mean, look at a map like Garden of Joy Pain, that map is known for chaining tiles and a strong main building. Running from pallet to pallet would not be the product of WoO in that instance because the map itself is just poorly design and Survivors will do it anyways.

• ByeByeQ

Does anyone actually have a good defense for why Windows of Opportunity should always be on?

Why should such valuable information just be available 100% of the time with no deactivation?

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

There are a lot of issues with the game that need to be addressed. Windows of Opportunity is not one of them. If you play killer, you should be glad if a survivor is using this perk. It means they are bringing one less annoying “meta” perk like Dead Hard, CoH or Prove Thyself

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,871

If you ever played SQ and got downed upon reaching a tile only to find out the pallet was used, you know the value of Windows of Opportunity. <-- This is the reason why it's so popular with the majority of the player base. The perk is wasted in SWF as they can just call out where they're dropping pallets and use more powerful perks like Unbreakable.

And on the High Usage = Overpowered, see BBQ before and after the nerf as well as Bloodweb update.

Windows is effectively a Perk Tax in SQ for the lack of in-game communication, the same way BBQ was a perk tax on any killer that wanted BPs.

• CosmicParagon
    CosmicParagon Member Posts: 1,070

Blast Mine is an amazing perk, wym? Literally just do a gen, then tap the button when the Killer chases you away and laugh your ass off when you hear the muffled explosion

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869

This is heresy.

• ByeByeQ
    edited December 2022

That's still really not a good defense of why it should always be on. Just because SoloQs and newbs have a hard time does not mean there should be an always on aura perk that everyone can use and abuse. An external factor like brightness issues should not even be a factor in balancing perks. Did SoloQs, newbs and console players really have such a difficult time before 6.1.0? I doubt it especially since I played a lot of SoloQ back then and never ran WoO.

Before 6.1.0 it was still a popular and effective perk and it was not always on. The difference is the survivor had to think and do some memorization before their chase began and the auras disappeared. It took actual effort and skill to use effectively.

The problem with WoO now is that it removes a lot of thought from survivor gameplay and they can go on autopilot.

Old BBQ was great for DbD. It encouraged killers to player fairer by giving them a secondary objective (collecting stacks) as well as giving them information that gets them away from hooked survivors. BBQ used to be the best perk for survivors in the game, imo. Look at my username I still miss old BBQ.

WoO is not great for the game. It allows to survivors to play sloppier and drop pallets more carelessly than they should and rarely do they have to worry about the auras going away. WoO doesn't improve the game for everyone involved like old BBQ did.

Somehow I thought Overcharge was a Freddy perk when I posted that. Derp.

• TeabaggingGhostface
    TeabaggingGhostface Member Posts: 3,108

Anyone in a swf on comms with me knows exactly what happened when i do The Laugh

• Tantamountain
    Tantamountain Member Posts: 38

Everyone knows it can only be one thing, never two or more.

• Anti051
    Anti051 Member Posts: 606

One of the bigger things to consider about WoO is the average distance between pallets/windows. Currently, if you vault a window/drop pallet and straight line to the next closest window/pallet at 100% speed, much more often than not, a 115% speed killer will not physically be able to catch you because of how close the safety is and because you just know precisely where to go....all the time...

With the way maps are generating right now, possessing a perfect prescience of the environment as the runner is an incredible advantage. I mean it knocks off a lot of the challenge if you constantly know exactly what to do + always have enough time to do it by map design.

• Johnny_XMan
    Johnny_XMan Member Posts: 6,428

Just gonna drop this here:

Usage =/= Balance.

It may give some indication that it is a good/stronger perk, but it doesn't immediately mean it is unbalanced.