The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

The First Nerf Windows of Opportunity Thread

2»

Comments

• CodeDB
    CodeDB Member Posts: 272

Windows of Opportunity wasn't touched in 6.1, it was last changed in 5.3. Unless you have specific stats from pre-5.3, 5.3 to 6.1, and post that, I don't think we can make a direct comparison.

That being said, I also have no specific stats on soloQs, newbs, and console players before 6.1 but survivors in general have seen a dip in escape rates across the board since then. And based on the seemingly consensus opinion here, its not coming from the comp team bully squads. So, by elimination, it has to be coming from somewhere which would be, assumedly, the lower-ceiling skilled players.

So, based on my 3 points, if we were to nerf Windows of Opportunity, those squads would be hit harder than the others. Experienced players would still know the pallet spawns, SWFs could still call out deadzones/broken set-ups, and PC players can increase their brightness to help spot pallets in general. All things other groups can't do to offset not getting as much value from the perk.

Sure, you can say its braindead easy and all and I may not even disagree with you. But these are legitimate concerns about nerfing it that I tried highlighting.

• ByeByeQ
    ByeByeQ Member Posts: 1,104

I stand corrected.

Survivors have seen a dip in survival rates across all MMRs according to stats released in September 2022. They even posted stats for top 5% MMR and survival rates dropped there too. Whatever consensus on this forum is doesn't matter since it's purely anecdotal.

I still think WoO would still be greatly helpful to newbs, SoloQs, console gamers and even some experienced players even if it wasn't always on.

Why does having it turn off every once in a while (like say after 2 or 3 vaults or pallet drops) completely destroy the perk for anyone who chooses to use it?

• lagosta
    lagosta Member Posts: 1,871

@ByeByeQ BBQ being healthy or unhealthy was not my point of discussion. Being pigeonholed into perks was.

WoD was buffed more than a year ago and doubled in usage because the latest Meta Balance made other perks less mandatory. The same phenomenon happened to other information perks, see how Kindred jumped from 9% to 13% and Bond from 5% to almost 10%. Not only that, several common builds are using 2 information perks. Also, it's no surprise it's overused as SQ comprises the majority of the Player Base.

Now, ask yourself why 30% of the survivor player base needs to dedicate a perk slot to make sure they don't die due to the lack of coordination.

Or just keep doing what you're doing and dismiss SQ as sloppy and careless for using one information perk.

• ByeByeQ
    ByeByeQ Member Posts: 1,104

If a survivor knows that there is another pallet around the corner then they don't have to try to conserve the one they are currently at, do they?

How about you ask yourself why do people need it on all the time?

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,993

for optimal pathing. Killers have the exact same perk (zanshin tactics)....go ahead help yourself to it

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142

Oh...

But wait. Where's Technician, Bite the Bullet, Visionary, Deja Vu?

Those perks are great for helping new players find gens, stop 3-gen situations, and negate failed skill checks! But they're nowhere near the top 3 perks used, unlike Windows of Opportunity.

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167
    edited December 2022

Technician is a garbage crutch perk that harms newer players more than it helps them

Bite the Bullet is usually only good for gimmicks and newer players likely aren't aware of those gimmicks to begin with. RE is also a licensed chapter that you need to pay money for. (One of the most expensive ones too)

Visionary is a horrible perk that is overshadowed by several other perks.

Deja-Vu is a good perk, sure it's pick rate isn't amazing but there could be tons of reasons for that. Perks that revolve around gens are pretty unpopular except Prove bc Prove actually has a big impact on games.

You picked 3 generator information perks and 1 stealth/healing perk and compared it to what is basically a chase oriented/information perk. That's not fair imo.

That's like comparing BBQ to Bitter Murmur or Whispers or something like that.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 9,351

Just to add on to what you said, there's no reason to run Visionary over Deja-Vu and Deja-Vu is a generic perk so you don't need to level up another character to have it.

The few times I've tried to get new players into dbd, I've recommended they use Deja-Vu simply because it helps them find gens which is something new players struggle with a lot.

• nf452
    nf452 Member Posts: 18

Seems like your problem are the maps and not WoO..Looks like every map for you is The Game map, where a survivor has unlimited pallets that can predrop and there are no dead zones. In reality most of the maps do not have that many pallets and especially SAFE ones. You present it to be as if survivors have in their disposal so many god pallets that block your path and you cant mindgame a loop or a jungle gym.

You have to understand that if a survivor doesnt know how to run e.g a long-wall jungle gym, WoO will not dictate them how to run it. If a survivor is good and depending on the type of killer, they can run it for a few loops without dropping the pallet, making it really strong (just because they didnt predrop the pallet). And now we go to the cooldown part.. Let's say that we have this good survivor approaching this long-wall jungle gym. The moment he gets close to it he sees though WoO that next to it there is a straight tile with a pallet and in its proximity a TL wall. How does WoO cooldown help this survivor run these tiles or autopilot??? Does WoO give the survivor wallhacks that make it unable for the killer to mindgame? The answer is No. Because WoO will not tell a survivor how to run a tile effectively, what's the optimal path and won't make them immune to mindgames. The survivor already has all the info for every tile in the proximity to the jungle gym he entered, making the cooldown of the perk not problematic. No need to memorize something that is so simple either. At the time they reach the final part of the loop they are going to see the pallet and window auras of the next tiles..On the other hand the no cooldown thing is good for a new survivor that is not confident and tends to predrop pallets. BUT this eventually can and will be detrimental to his team.

In addition we are talking about soloq dbd and not "comp dbd", where predropping pallets doesnt matter as much, because you know that your teammates will be as efficient as it gets with gens. On the other hand in soloq dbd, or even in some swfs, gen efficiency most of the times is not a thing and the waste of resources is on the killer's side.

Looks like you have problems with survivors who predrop pallets and cant deal with them for whatever reason. Maybe try perks that will help you on this department or try to get better at reading the player. Again as it was already mentioned by others, WoO was not buffed in the 6.1.0, but 5.3.0 and the reason why it's being used more now, is the hard nerf of the known meta perks, whether you like it or not. I would be scared more of a player who runs dead hard, circle of healing, off the record, deliverance, reassurance among others instead of WoO. Any of these perks apply huge pressure on the killer.

Dunno this guy, but he is a good laugh. Calling WoO a "tryhard weapon of mass destruction" and implying that it is a hack for survivors..Ridiculous, but made my day KEKW. Then i watch a bit after that where he proposes buffs for Terminus to counter the sprint burst part of Adrenaline.. He wants Terminus to not only cause the broken status but also exhaustion. Now imagine a typical combo of Terminous with No Way out for 60+20+30=110s. A guaranteed minute of survivors being in injured state, unable to heal AND survivors without Adrenaline being able to use exhaustion perks only from No Way Out (but more from Terminus and opening gate attempts even without NWO). Also an end game nerf to dead hard and the rest of the exhaustion perks, because this guy JUST wants to counter the sprint burst part of Adrenaline ahahaha #########..

• BenSanderson55
    BenSanderson55 Member Posts: 454
    edited December 2022

Bad killer main it seems. Solo and duo is majority of matches in dbd. Guess what you dont know when randoms are dropping pallets unless you're right there with them. As far as predropping again theyre going to lose their resources if in solo q unless everybody is on a seperate gen (highly unlikely in soloq) and if its a comp team you're going to lose anyway lol.

FORGOT TO ADD: Woo was buffed it used to be only 24m until you threw pallet or vaulted then 20 sec cooldown, once they buffed it no complaints everybody was happy still wasnt used that much more. It wasnt until they nerfed survivor and buffed killer basekit did a lot more people start using it. Dont have as much time with killers doing everything faster.

• Entitled_survivor
    Entitled_survivor Member Posts: 828

Killer players these days,,,next thing you know they wanna get circle nerfed for a 3rd time :)

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,280

If a survivor perk does something, it's OP and should be nerfed, apparently.

Shining examples of survivor perks that are actually truly, properly balanced: No Mither, Autodidact (though it should be capped at two tokens)

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

Technician isn't useful for anyone. It's basically a killer perk.

Bite the Bullet is attached to a licensed survivor and is a bit more advanced. I don't think new players really care about sound radii etc.

New players don't know what 3gen is. But I actually do see a lot of Deja Vu on newer players...and more player should use Deja Vu, it's a hell of a useful perk.

I'm 99% sure OP was bait, and probably a failed attempt at satire if you look at other posts by the author.

• HauntedKnight
    HauntedKnight Member Posts: 388

There’s a reason it’s popular. It shouldn’t be a priority to be nerfed but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was changed at some point.

To me it’s an example of something in the game which is clearly meant to help noobs but ends up being way more effective in the hands of more experienced players- and I don’t really think that’s the perks intention. It lets you plan your escape route when you’re just sitting on a Gen and during a chase you know exactly where to go- these are massively advantageous. A survivor making a wrong turn/running into a dead zone is a big help to killers and this perk totally negates that.

Again, changing it should not be a priority but if some sort of cool-down was incorporated to the perk it would be a lot fairer.

• Shnicel
    Shnicel Member Posts: 19

OMG! This is funny considering the fact that there are ton of killer perks that are allways on and very debatable on they same way. Just stop and leave survivors alone they have been nerfed for way too long and painfully. That perk is fine!

Not everyone plays this game 16h per day for them to know every pallet and window spawn. Plus pallets are hard to see in game environment. And if you as a killer have problems with this perk then you need to check on your skill not survivor perks...

• Entitled_survivor
    Entitled_survivor Member Posts: 828

Have you seen some comments ? Even if post is a bait the comments are pure gold :)