This game makes me sad

Options
pooPyrus
pooPyrus Member Posts: 32
edited January 2023 in General Discussions

Playing killer, this game is incredibly depressing. Either I play a chill game of killer and am immediately gen rushed, or I play sweaty (ie; tunneling, slugging) and am immediately called a cringe sweat lord. It’s exhausting at this point and makes killer a serious physiological investment. This game should not be so mentally straining, and I should not have pstd after having a swf teabag in my face. Plz buff killer and/or nerf realms/map offerings.

Comments

• jajay119
    jajay119 Member Posts: 876
    Options

Take a break.

If you're finding killer sad and depressing now, it's needed.

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638
    Options

I didn't say harder. There's just a difference between losing because you lost (even tunneled), and having a nightmare drawn out and out and out because you are getting bagged, clicked, Head-On'd, flashbanged, and having the egc milked for every last possible second.

The only solo queue equivalent would be Mr. Knight's 3 Gen Jamboree.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    Options

If playing killer is so miserable for you or the people that agree with you—switch to solo queue! That’ll solve your worries. Like Hugthehag said, you can focus on yourself and still escape. Have at it. :)

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077
    Options

Eh. The only time clown squads annoy me is when it's a coordinated 'you can't hook us' squad with multiple sabos who know hook deadzones. Otherwise I welcome it, as you're basically giving me a chance to come back. Be as silly as you like, I'm not going to lose my cool - and make one mistake...

What does grate my cheese on killer is the duo I seem to run into at least once a day.

You know the exact duo I'm describing.

3gen themselves, then sulk - and spend the next 20 minutes hiding in a locker or a bush in some weird corner of the map, using <redacted> to never get AFK crows in the hopes that you DC.

Those are the games that make me lose my cool.

The 3gen thing can be a pain, but at least you can just bumrush in and if you die, you die.

• WesCravenFan
    Options

I once had a pair do that to me on old Coldwind.

I was Freddy.

22 minutes of that crap.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,092
    edited January 2023
    Options

And you completely missed the point, it's not about harder to win but more STRESSFUL to play with micromanaging, keeping attention on half a dozen things simultaneously and non stop action , not the good kind but the "zero time to breath kind".

Step of the gas as killer and the match is over before you know it.

It is as if you play lol non stop Teamfights. No Backport, no shopping, no back to lane.

• Zeb89AceGamer
    Zeb89AceGamer Member Posts: 41
    Options

Hide endgame chat and play how you want

• Zephinism
    Zephinism Member Posts: 535
    Options

Given you don't know the difference between Eruption and Pain Res you clearly don't play Survivor at all, so you must run into the occasional toxic SWF squad.

• StarLost
    Options

Okay...but then why do you care about killing on killer?

I find both roles stressful in their own ways. As killer, I usually feel like there's something I can try in most games to come back, but solo survivor can make you feel completely helpless - not to mention those games where you spend the majority of it being facecamped or slugged.

Killer - yes, your mistakes are punished because it's all on you. But this also means that you won't get messed around by a teammate who does their totem archive then goes AFK, and only need to rely on your own skill.

• WesCravenFan
    Options

Yeeeup. You got me. Never played a game of Survivor in my life. Nope. No, sir. Every single one of those achievements is a.... um... graphical bug.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,454
    Options

Play both sides most survivor but as killer don't feel you have to win that is not good for your health. Play killer for fun and solo survivor to win. As soon as you start feeling you need a lot of slowdown perks, tunnel etc now you are trying to reach high MMR not good for your health as killer. Here is how you play DBD:

Solo survivor 80% of your games: Play to win, not stressful you don't feel bad dying it's the game man

Killer 20%: Play for fun but don't stress use fun perks and builds, you win some and lose some big deal, just have fun

When you go up against survivors or killer playing only to win "sweaty" just think "are they really having fun lol?" You are the winner of mental health when you don't care that much about losing, being tunneled, t-bagged these people are not happy people you are the happy one because you have more fun then they have 😀

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885
    Options

Exactly as Killer it's a very stressful experience. I'm not a top tier player as Killer but I know my way around as them and get the job done....but dam it's stressful to do it.

If I want to be silly and have fun with the Survivors as Demopuppy looking for head pats they rush hard and go EZ GAME JUST QUIT or TRASH KILLER JUST UNINSTALL. And when I go to win mode still called trash killer.....

• KSzerker
    KSzerker Member Posts: 191
    Options

You can play vs bots in custom games. They're extremely bad, though, but perhaps BHVR will buff them in the future.

• Gamall
    Gamall Member Posts: 487
    Options

😭😭😭 PLZ BHVR BUFF KILLERZ

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,695
    Options

Legitimately if this game is having such a strong emotional impact on you, you need to stop playing, or at the very least take a break.

I get burnt out on this game sometimes and dont play for a week or two. When I come back I feel more refreshed and ready to play.

(That and from being inactive my MMR has probably dropped a little, making my matches easier than when I last played).

• Interocitor
    Interocitor Member Posts: 141
    Options

Also Killer being in first person makes everything feel more personal, frustrating, and generally annoying IMO. It's easier to separate yourself from the frustration and not care as survivor since it's third person so there's more psychological distance and more visual awareness of the game environment as a whole. The extremely low killer FOV without shadowborn makes the game extra claustrophobic and disorienting which I presume is unfortunately how most people play killer and also adds to the stress. The low in game brightness and intense flashing animations for blinds and light flickering in maps probably give people headaches/physical discomfort more in first person view as well. I know it does for me.

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,759
    edited January 2023
    Options

DBD isn't really a game you should play if you want to chill.

What I think people mean when they say they want to be able to play a chill game of DBD is that they want to 2-3k without having to put much effort in.

Also, you don't have PTSD after playing DBD. PTSD is an actual debilitating thing and not something people get because they take a video game too seriously.

• drsoontm
    drsoontm Member Posts: 4,189
    Options

The curtsy (look it up, it may help to see it that way) survivors are doing is absolutely meaningless.

If you know you can't get them at the door, I suggest you don't go there and let them languish while they act like monkeys.

Playing killer is almost always arguably more difficult and more tense than playing survivor. You are pressed by time and you can never stop. Survivor, win or lose, has more down-time. I'm not talking about winning or losing, only about resources spent to play. This will never change without making the game too easy for killer and/or unbearable for survivors.

In my opinion, killers are in a generally good position at the moment. It may depend on the player's expectations though.

Whatever killer I play (I play almost all of them, with Nurse and Huntress being the usual go-to) I usually only care about having fun and good chases. If I go against a team that rushes the gens faster that I can handle, I don't really care. I'll tunnel one to avoid a depip, and I'll move to the next game. (And sometimes, survivors try to defend the one and get exterminated for it)

As for the end chat, most players are nice or polite. The ones that aren't and act silly, I'll laugh at and move on : they don't matter.(Sometimes they get reported too, when they cross the line)

If you want to experience a truly exhausting killer play, check VHS, before they vanish from the face of the Earth.

I only have a few suggestions (some easier said than done, I agree)

• stop caring so much about stranger's opinion,
    • learn to out-troll the trolls,
    • play both roles (more?),
    • focus at one task, or self-determined challenge and ignore anything else in the game, be happy when you succeed.

Example: Nurse, grand-master-style (no perk, no add-on), or just one perk (e.g. Franklin, until 6.5)

Example: Huntress, cross-map hits.

Example: Trapper, only trap downs.

Example: Survivor, take the time of the killer for as much as you can. Ignore gens. (Great way to improve, in the long run)

• Interocitor
    Options

I can see how DBD and online gaming in general could act as a strong trigger for some people who have been severely bullied in the past and bullying and harassment are generally considered events that can cause PTSD episodes.

• drsoontm
    Options

Let's be real. PTSD is a very serious thing. The kind of event that trigger a PTSD are way to dark to even being to describe.

Someone getting PTSD from something as innocuous as a game is absolute nonsense.

• Interocitor
    edited January 2023
    Options

I didn't say getting PTSD from it, I was saying it can theoretically be a trigger. Unfortunately as you likely know innocuous things like certain smells if they relate to the original traumatic event can trigger people.

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/what-are-ptsd-triggers

• pocajohnny
    pocajohnny Member Posts: 219
    Options

One of the major things the devs need to do is just completely remove the ability to chat period. So much toxicity is spread simply through the end-game chat that it could literally cause someone to not play ever again, ESPECIALLY as Killer... I'm not sure why they think being able to chat in a game like this, where emotion runs so hot in many people, is a good idea. It's not. It's a really big factor of why the game is so toxic. Having people talk to you like this toward the end of any "GAME" would be a miserable experience. Be better than League of Legends...BHVR....

End-game chat adds literally nothing to the experience and I promise you it does NOT make people want to play again.... :/ I suppose we have to wait until they figure that out.. That is a big part of it for many I have spoken with though.

• Dogma_loki
    Dogma_loki Member Posts: 436
    Options

That is your opinion, it doesn't make it fact. Ironic you bring up "gaslighting" in your response.

• jotaro
    jotaro Member Posts: 173
    Options

Like i said, dont take it so personally. Its only stressful if you let it be.

• Jylppy
    Jylppy Member Posts: 44
    Options

I think it is hard to be more "mature" because no other player is mature in the game lol. Most survivors I myself see are always bullying the killer any way they can. In my soloq and killer games. And this is certainly not uncommon.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,156
    Options

You're right but killer just is so upsetting if you lose it does not matter even if you won 10 games a row when swf just humilates and destroys you. Maybe it can give some comfort but it's still horrible experience. As survivor you have team at least you didn't were alone. Killer needs team too 2 killers vs 6 survivors would be more fair. It should be added as another game mode. So then killers could just relax and have fun.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,156
    Options

That maybe explain some of it but if killer was 3rd person how you would lunge the 1st person is just better for the role.

• drsoontm
    edited January 2023
    Options

As annoying versing some survivors can be, it's almost always worth it.

This was one of the sweatiest match I've played today. I was quietly doing my dailies with my least used killers when I found myself going against a very annoying team.

They were exploiting loops to their fullest and "tagging" whenever a window would get blocked for one survivor to prevent a down and continue looping. (This was one of these cases were committing to a down is the only good option.)

They were dropping flash-bangs, readying a flashlight save and doing sabos.

The were very coordinated.

Although I downed them several times, I didn't manage to get a hook before three gens were done. I didn't answer to their provocations and kept trying to be unpredictable. And then they finally made a mistake that I took fully advantage of. Soon after one dead, then another, then the last one. No hatch for them.

As tense as it was, it felt very good to made them eat their flashlights.

Their silence after the "gg" was the sherry on top. (They were all still connected.)

My point is, aggressive teams can be beaten by using their peculiar style against them, as long as the killer can keep his cool.

• Sometimes_Sage
    Sometimes_Sage Member Posts: 143
    Options

Ah yes, the ol' reliable "it's your fault because you don't just ignore the harassment" argument, gotta love victim blaming.

Getting tunneled is obviously a bad time, but is is ridicilous to claim that encountering a Killer, who values their win over your fun, is on the same level as getting put into a match, with a group of people who got organised, communicate and coordinate, with the sole goal of harassing you, is on the same level.

Infact the percentage of games which don't have Survivors trying to harass the Killer is probably in the single digits and it's nothing short of a disgrace that Behaviour isn't doing way more to combat toxicity.

• StarLost
    Options

This is one of those things that's easy to say...until you get tired of people sitting in the exit gates teabagging and gloating at you, then trying to add you on Steam so they can tell you what a coward you are for not sitting around in postgame to get gloated at more.

A few of those, and suddenly you care a lot about winning - because that's the only way to stop the gloating.

What makes solo survivor frustrating to me is that I don't necessarily play to win, but I do play to pip. And...I swear, it can be legit impossible sometimes. I'm Gold at the moment, and had a game where I led the killer on a chase for a good 2-3 minutes, did 2 gens almost solo, but the killer downed someone, camped them, they DC'd, then someone else DC'd, then I got camped out and still depipped.

• Rudjohns
    Rudjohns Member Posts: 1,762
    Options
  • MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,217
    Options

Don't open post game chat if you're not in the mood for getting trash talked. If you're playing for fun, set yourself other win conditions than "kill X survivors". For me, it's to have some good chases where I get to utilize my build and power, and to make some BP.

• Marik1987
    Marik1987 Member Posts: 1,700
    edited January 2023
    Options

Once again:

"If u struggle as Killer its a skill issue".

My opinion: You cannot say this by default, because the Killer-Roaster is soo widely open, its unreal. If u play Nurse, Blight, Spirit, Oni, Huntress, Artist for example, sure, but if u play a pure M1-Trash-Killer like Freddy, Sadako, Trapper, Myers, Legion or Ghostface for example, its a complete different story.

Please keep this in mind :-).

• Erenior
    Erenior Member Posts: 88
    Options

i only started playing a month ago. but i had to learn something about dbd:

this game is mostly toxic. i mean, the vast majority of players makes it toxic. the game itself is funny.

as a killer i free mysself from "i want to win" to "i want to have some fun". maybe i want good chases, maybe i just want everyone to be franklin'd. whatever makes me giggle works.

i had to remember that playing is for fun and not for winning. this is a game. i would love to win at the lottery and i bet if anybody has to decide they want to win at the lottery and become a millionaire OR win most of the time in dbd... they will surely choose the first option.

thats something i had to learn (or remember) the hard way in dbd. you cant influence other players in soloq. you start as akiller with a hefty disadvantage stacked against you.

toxic players will tend to say "it's a skill thing, get better" but is this really true? is it skill if you get harassed/blamed/flamed whatever after the game even if you just play the game in a regular way? is it really skill if a swf4 team can just rip through the gens? in my opinion it is not.

my advice to every player:

• remember its a game. not more, not less.
    • remember that there is a human being at the other end of the internet. well, at most times human *g*
    • having fun does not necessarily mean winning
    • you can not influence what other players do (that thought might come in handy in soloQ)
    • as a killer the game is at the start stacked against you so dont feel stressed if you can not recover from that.
  • pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,903
    Options

Eh what's to feel sad about just play the way you want to.

I tunnel and camp when I feel like it because it often gets kills that I probably would have had to fight harder to get.

The game is still fun and if people can't accept a legitimate game mechanic then they should really be asking is this the game for them.

You're not responsible for anyone else's fun than your own. So play and have fun the rest is meaningless, just be good natured no matter what the outcome is and you have nothing to lose.

Anyone who can't do that, well that's a them problem and their opinion of you as a gamer is completely irrelevant and inconsequential.

Its only a game.

• BreadLord
    BreadLord Member Posts: 274
    Options

who cares, go ahead and tunnel, go ahead and camp and slug, who cares what the survs think, you paid for this game play how u wanna play

• PrincessCalla
    PrincessCalla Member Posts: 139
    Options

This. I've turned mine off and ignore it. I move onto the next game or if I'm not having fun I do something else.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885
    Options

I get more a more chill game experience from Rainbow Six Siege....and that's after I have some rando try to insult me on my style of game playing or who I picked to play a round....