Why did the killers start being lazy?

Options
2»

Comments

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573
    Options

Honestly, we can do some simple maths to see whether 10s gen time was going to slow the game down with other regression nerfs. That's 50s longer. (or 50 charges).

Ruin would previously cause all gens to regress at 0.5 c/s. Now it's 0.25c/s. So, those 50 charges more are 100s of old ruin value (of course it could affect multiple gens at once, so that's cumulative). Fairly simple estimate is that if you could keep it up for about a minute or more beforehand even semi-consistently (assuming 2 gens regressing etc.), gens are actually faster.

PGTW used to knock off 25% (20 charges). Maximum pop value before Survivors died: 160 charges (220 total before the game ends). Now it knocks off at most 20. Assume an average of 50% gen progress when the Killer can kick it, and that's a max of 80 (110) on average. That's a gap of 80 charges--gens are faster.

Pain Res didn't change its regression, but since it can no longer force people off with DMS (once they re-implement that), the major slowdown part--that it allows for about another 30s of regression that can't be stopped--and forces Survivors off the most-complete gen to give time to interrupt it.

So, the big ongoing regression was nerfed to near-uselessness, and the big burst regression was similarly nerfed. Call of Brine still only applies the speed Ruin did, so it's not actually that great in isolation--and Eruption's pretty similar to Pain Res. In fact, that's what Eruption is replacing; the combo of CoB+Eruption is more of a kick-based Pain Res+DMS than a replacement from PGTW+Ruin. Yes, kicks now do some base regression straight-up, but about all that does is punish constantly tapping in chase then running off.

More regression was lost than gen time was gained. And then the Bloodweb rework made always bringing some sort of item way more doable. And then Hyperfocus and Stakeout came into it as possible ways to get some really silly gen times. And the aforementioned DH nerf caused everyone to really focus on doing gens until people started to get really good at new DH instead.

All of which leads us to the current fairly miserable situation where a 3gen went from nice in general and really important without the biggest regression perks, to the only thing the current regression meta can actually do. No DMS+Pain Res targeting of most-complete gens wherever they are (if the Survivors miss the hooking anim); no faster global regression if shoved off a gen; no big regression burst on a single kick. Nope, all the good regression now means 'keep downing people in a small area so you can go back and kick as needed'.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,054
    Options

Don't get me wrong, I hate seeing the slowdown stacks as much as anyone else. Most DbD players are going to run increasingly strong builds until they can't escape the fact that they have a skill issue. Or they quit.

But BHVR didn't really solve any problems in 6.1. Why take info perks? Finding survivors isn't hard. Most of the time they're sitting on a 10% gen when you're 10 meters away from them. And you're not accounting for the whole map after the first 3-5 minutes of the game, so it's not exactly trying to find a needle in a haystack. Why take chase perks on killers that don't need chase perks? If I'm on a strong killer like Spirit, there's literally nothing in the game I need to account for as an experienced killer other than gen speed. What else are killers supposed to run?

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,214
    Options

Its funny that most people dont mention the 50 charges canbe done in anywhere between 50 and 12.5 seconds. Even quicker with perks and toolboxes.

Good old "cant do 400 (450) seconds gens by myself", still ignoring 3 other sirvivors.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Yeah, but instead we got more gen repair perks. Its almost like they want gens to go faster than before.

• pseudechis
    pseudechis Member Posts: 3,902
    Options

DBD the only game where the players get angry when they have to play more DBD.

• StarLost
    StarLost Member Posts: 8,077
    Options

What bothers me a bit is they added perks that are merely 'good' in solo queue but absolutely crush in a team. Fogwise, Hyperfocus and Stakeout are the big problems and PTS...PTS has always been a quietly busted perk.

• VikingDragonXii
    VikingDragonXii Member Posts: 2,885
    Options

PE is like Self Heal....those who don't know how to use it effectively make it a trash level perk, but those who do will break a 3 Gen, finish the last Gen or do that one person Gen so fast the Killer will have their head spinning

• VikingDragonXii
    Options

Not to mention not touching Gen Speed perks and then giving more perks that increase Gen speed making Gens fly enev faster than before the "meta shakeup"

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897
    Options

Well they nerfed Ruin to the point nobody would run it. So killers looked for different slowdown perks and found alot of synergy with the current meta. Add to this the increase in base gen time along with the killer basekit buffs and survivors realized they had to be efficient with gens to stand a chance.

• PowZapBamWoofMeow
    PowZapBamWoofMeow Member Posts: 195
    Options

Welp I’m in the minority, an older player that plays for fun.

I run no hexes and no slowdowns. Lightborn always, then usually things to make my life easier like brutal strength, agitation, etc

I don’t camp, except proxy occasionally. I just like going around downing whoever i can find.

I wish this game were less fixated on the whole generator thing. But that’s the core of what this game is about. Being asymmetrical doesn’t help.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Yeah, pretty much. Its like they actually want gens to go faster and not slower.

• White_Owl
    White_Owl Member Posts: 3,784
    Options

I think that is the result of chases being easier than ever for killers. Less chase time means less time for gens, so survivors feel the need to rush gens as much as they can. Since killers don't need much chase perks they gravitate towards gen defense, while on the other hand most gen rush perks for survivors are bad so they go for perks to extend chases.

Essentially the game has become over time more frenetic, and everyone tries to buy more time as they can with perks.

• sulaiman
    sulaiman Member Posts: 3,213
    Options

I play without gen slowdown all the time, and it works just fine, unless i meet a 4-swf, or get unlucky with rng.

• RainehDaze
    RainehDaze Member Posts: 2,573
    Options
  • White_Owl
    Options

They are. Killers is the last years have been given many buffs that help in chases: faster breaking, shorter attack cooldowns, shorter post-hit sprint for survivors and so on. That's an undeniable fact.

• VikingDragonXii
    Options

That's partly why I stopped playing a few months back....I want to play how I want to play and not with some "Meta".....but I find my way is always losing ground to repaired gens and I was forced to use more Regression to even stand a small chance....

• Blueberry
    Blueberry Member Posts: 13,238
    Options

Thank goodness you decided to post all this, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to speed all that time lol. There was a lot of incorrect things that needed correcting. Agree with most everything you said.

• Vampirox
    Vampirox Member Posts: 411
    edited January 2023
    Options

you know I play with both sides more survivor than killer, but when i play killer i main spirit with only 1 slow down to gen always 3/4k and then the other day i was playing survivor and went against a spirit that 4k'd us with 0 perks and yellow addons and you know what he said i feel bad for survivors so i ran 0 perks.

Now and days killers are to lazy to learn their killers so they take the easy way out and use the most popular build that some streamer came up with.

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • White_Owl
    edited January 2023
    Options

That's because it's the most recent and I have better things to do than remember every single update of this game. Plus learn to read, never have I said anything about the game being sided, I just said that chases are quicker compared to before.

• DashMonsta008XV
    DashMonsta008XV Member Posts: 611
    Options

Because secretly their all in the cult of dash and what dash do they do 😉

• DashMonsta008XV
    edited January 2023
    Options

Also you can't play a fun game without regression perks

Have seen this just disgusting

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871
    Options

Meanwhile, Pig continues to cry because she still is bad at chases against competent players.

• DashMonsta008XV
    edited January 2023
    Options

@Hannacia you shouldn't let that stop you if you found it useful, survivors are still going to come in with gen over kill meta and what ever gets those gens done perks and mentality

Your happiness does not matter to them, their also talking crap about you the entire time

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638
    Options
  • squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,292
    Options

If your team got beaten by that, thats a big skill issue, that spirit was handing out free 4 man escapes.

• Vampirox
    Vampirox Member Posts: 411
    edited January 2023
    Options

it wasnt a 4man swf i play solo 80% of the time.

its ok not all killers are good eventually you wont get piggy backed

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • DashMonsta008XV
    Options

Challenging matches can be fun, especially when you beat those really obnoxious builds,I run spirit fury always I just like it,it really doesn't do anything special you still get the same amount of stun duration but I don't have to kick another pallet , iron Maiden because survivor's will randomly just get inside a locker, I'll literally be on other side of map , huntress lullaby because survivor's seem confused when they miss the first skill check, and Im really liking Merciless Storm just the name it's so sexy,it's not to demanding small little mini break if they miss or stop,we all just sit around and look at the gen sometimes I just play for fun none of my games I take serious except fast gen game's,I get a tab bit defensive

Sorry if this was creepy