The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Why Do People Hate Trickster?

StarLost
StarLost Member Posts: 8,077

More so than Nurse, more so than Blight, more so than Bubba, even more so than Hag - I don't think a single killer exists that makes people cable pull on first down than Tricky Boi.

No idea why. He's...really not a great killer, at all.

Comments

• dspaceman20
    dspaceman20 Member Posts: 4,699

I think Because going against him is completely map dependent. If you get a map in which he can hit his knifes over then there is nothing you can do to counter it. Like it's actually really annoying.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775
    edited January 2023

Legion and Pinhead are more hated.

It probably stems from the fact that a lot of people disliked him being added to the game and felt it was a pretty blatant cash-grab attempt. Also that he's super weak in most scenarios but in the places where he's good, there is LITERALLY nothing you can do.

Also also, he's borderline unplayable on console

Post edited by Pulsar on
  • Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,263
    edited January 2023

I wonder about that too. - Like, I do like to play as Trickster occasionally and it's usually pretty fun. I rarely play against him and as long as it's not the ricochet blades or a funny trickster who does what some argue Trickster can do best - camping certain hooks - it's pretty fun as well.

Yes, how well he does is pretty map / tile dependent - but I also think it's not as bad as people make it out to be. As Trickster it's funny to see what you can hit --- and as survivor how you use a map just kinda changes. - Though, I can see why he's got a reputation for not being too much fun to play as as killer. Simply because there isn't that much you can improve; the knives are always inaccurate, so there isn't really anything to master with him.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,197
    edited January 2023

When I play Trickster:

• Can't hit survivors, recoil sends my knives in a 180 degree direction away from the survivor I'm looking at.
    • Run out of knives in 1.5 seconds.
    • Main Event happens when I least need it, usually when I'm taking a ######### or doing laundry or driving to work.

When I play against Trickster:

• Every knife lands directly on my butt, sometimes around corners!
    • Seemingly unlimited Knives.
    • Always in Main Event!

But, I'm on console. Where it's well known that ranged killers don't work because you can't have seperate sensitivity setting for turning and aiming, and there are no deadzone settings.

As opposed to PC, where ranged killers = click on survivor to kill them.

• HugTechLover
    HugTechLover Member Posts: 2,482

I don’t mind him. He’s a pretty easy killer to loop.

• StarLost

Legion is 0.5% below him on my little set, but...yeah, they're close.

Pinhead - at #5. Below Trickster, Legion, Nurse and Plague.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586
  • MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586

yes - Legion and Pinhead are far worse. I had a match against a Thana Legion today on Dead Dawg, about 5 minutes into the match, no generators done, no hooks, just constant chase, deep wound, mend, chase, deep wound, mend. Any time I load into a match against Legion I just want to quit playing for the rest of the day.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,265

he ether insta downs you from healthy if you're in a bad position with his power or he slowly but surely gets 1 or 2 knives in and downs you eventually. Ether way it's very unfun and it feels like nothing you do matters against him

• LuthirFontaine
    LuthirFontaine Member Posts: 375

Few things are as annoying as getting trickster on wreck park so many open spaces on that map that quicky makes you dead. He isn't the worst ( pinhead he's horrible to play against) but yeah I can see some hate for that guy

• Chaos999
    Chaos999 Member Posts: 869

The thing with killers like him and pinhead is that, while they are very weak in a lot of situations, the specific circumstances where they are good, they are basically unbeatable. Dealing with that specific scenario can be very frustrating because even if you make no mistakes and do everything right, you still loose.

Those who come here and complain about them are those who just faced those situations and are understandably frustrated and come to vent, making it look like no one has anything good to say about them. Even if there is helluva lot more people beating the crap out of those killers on a daily basis who have no reason to come here and let everyone know.

They are just that polarizing.

• StarLost
    edited January 2023

I really like playing against both of them, weirdly. Especially Pinhead. Unless he's just going out of his way to grief, like standing AFK on the box or a Trickster is facecamping.

• StarLost

And yet, my stronger killers (Artist, Dredge, Hag)...the only one people flip out over is Hag.

Trickster has a ton of counterplay.

• Pulsar

Ehhhhhhh.

His counterplay is basically just stay near high walled structures and even then, you go down eventually.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,475

I mean I'll admit I'm just really bad against Trickster in general, but he can down you faster than almost any other killer if you're out in the open, making it feel like there's no counterplay to him depending where he finds you.

Also he's a really effective camper.

• Nirgendwohin
    Nirgendwohin Member Posts: 1,251

usually the trickster that i face like to play the worst way high ping, facecamping, tunneling, hook hitting, nodding, slugging and bleed out.

the gameplay can be sometimes annoying too but most of the time its the person behind the killer.

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287

I would prefer to against nurse rather than trickster. He’s annoying as hell with the sound and screen affects.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

He's just one of those killers that is annoying to face, for me at least. My most hated is Dredge, but Knight is a strong second.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,986

i swear they all do that lol. Trickster and wraith players love bming.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

Probably a combination of chases being often very black and white and the fact thzt he's a S tier camper.

I.e. you either get a loop where the survivor can't do anything, or the Trickster gets one where he can't do almost anything and he just sluggishly gets the health state via death by a thousand cuts, as opposed to making a specific read or play.

• Emankcin
    Emankcin Member Posts: 19

He's annoying and irritating. He is not even trying to be "scary" as bhvr states their game is about. Going against nurse or blight is different. You know it's a gg from the start so don't feel as bad as you feel while going against a cocky jerk armed with a freaking machinegun firing knives. Why would he need a bat at all may I ask? Just give him feathers and ak47. This is where this game is going anyways!

• StarLost
    edited January 2023

Well...sure?

This is a team game. You're supposed to drag things out in chase while your team does gens, but a killer that you didn't go down to eventually would be completely useless.

If your team isn't doing gens, then that's a big waste but not the killer's fault.

If you go down too fast in chase, that sucks - but not the killer's fault.

Or am I missing your meaning?

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,436

By the time a trickster downs you on a high wall loop at least 3 gens should pop, if not, that team is asking to lose.

• Pulsar

I think he's guaranteed 3 knives everytime you vault, so not really

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,187

Not a huge reason to even play the window. Huntress path it by looping the outside of the tile a couple times (just take the long way instead of vaulting) and pre-drop the pallet early so there's no risk of an M1. He can't hit you either way then.

• GlamourousLeviathan
    GlamourousLeviathan Member Posts: 981

Killers hate him because he is worthless garbage. Survivors hate him because his antiloop is spammy and offers little 1v1 counterplay on certain loops while also being good at camping. He is just a terribly designed killer, this includes his visual and lore as well.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804

As a trickster enthusiast, I think it's due to the fact that not a lot happens during a average chase, either you get to a loop where his power is worse then useless, or you end up at a low-wall or in the middle of nowhere and get mowed down extremely quick, and he suffers from old Deathslinger syndrome where he's fun to play, but not very fun to play against.

Doesn't stop me from appreciating whenever i play against him though, beats having to play against yet another Blight or Wesker

• WesCravenFan
    WesCravenFan Member Posts: 2,638

Not really. The entire culture of this game has shifted away from the intended hide and seek, and moved into tag.

Before you were supposed to avoid the killer at all costs. Now players want to "interact" with the killer, then get mad when the person designed to take you down does so, then demand "counterplay" for said downing.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

Most of the time he is garbage but there are moments and situations where he can be seriously oppressive and annoying to face. He sucks at every aspect of killer except for 1v1 situations on short wall or open loops.

• sonata93
    sonata93 Member Posts: 418

I think it's because his power works really well when he camps. I can't even count how many Tricksters I've gone against who will proxy-camp a hook then just spam knives at players who go for the rescue.

Also, if you're caught out in a dead zone without many pallets/loops, his range attack feels very oppressive and offers very little counterplay. At least with other range killers (Huntress and DSlinger), you have some level of counter-play as you can see them aiming and it gives you a little more time to react. All Trickster has to do is run behind you and aim in your general direction and all his knives seem to hit.