Frustrating to play killer without Slowdown

Options
Xernoton
Xernoton Member Posts: 5,334
edited February 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

I've played this game for 2 years now and I was never really fond of slowdown. My survivor matches felt awful going against it and as a killer I've always enjoyed the chase more than anything and brought aura perks or gimmicky builds instead. These past few days however my win rate dropped dramatically. In the last 10 games I got exactly 7 kills with an average game time of 6 minutes. Did the survivors just play well? Can't tell. I didn't really have any interaction with them.

The last game was a 4k that I managed to get because I decided to screw it all and instead of my usual builds bring CoB, Overcharge, Eruption and STBFL on Doctor and even that only worked out because I camped a 3 gen. The survivors didn't have fun and me neither because instead of chasing I had to prioritize gen kicking above all else just so I wouldn't lose against their preset loadout again. One green medkit with extra charges and Styptic Agent, 2 commodious toolboxes with extra charges and BNP and another yellow toolbox with extra charges, as well as Prove Thyself and a map offering for Ormond (at least it wasn't Garden of Pain). This isn't even special anymore. It's just the default mode now. I can't say I blame them though because you get so many of these.

Before anyone says: "Skill issue." Maybe it is a skill issue. I can't tell. I had very few interactions with these survivors, so I don't even know. Maybe they were absolutely insane but from the few chases I had it didn't look like that.

My question for you is: How has your experience over the last few days been? Did it feel more balanced? Were your matches as short as mine?

Post edited by Jocelynbee on

Comments

• kingcarl2012
    kingcarl2012 Member Posts: 1,710
    Options

Mine are a mixed bag, depending on the survivor efficiency and how good the first person I chase is. I too prefer aggression over slowdown, If I get a down fast enough I can usually keep up the pressure and have a decent game for the most part. But if the first hook takes too long, then I'm pretty much relegated to proxy camping for trades and hopefully a tunnel/major mistake to make the game managable, because base regression is just terrible.

• Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,870
    Options

Honestly, its a bit of both. I dont feel like you "need" slowdown, nor the "need" to tunnel(which a lot of people do claim), but I do feel like playing killer is somehow a bit worse, even though gens are slower, chase is faster and me barely having played with slowdown before.

Personally, I think its probably because the 10 second increase on gens having taught survivors to finish 1 generator solo at least, where back in the day, players were a lot more likely to sit on the same gens. I'm still of the opinion that 90 second basekit gens shouldnt be a thing. I feel like having slowdown when more than 1 gen is being worked on, similar to the 2 survivors sitting on 1 gen slowing them down.

• MrPeanutbutter
    MrPeanutbutter Member Posts: 1,586
    Options

Just camp and tunnel. It will take one or two (sometime all three) other survivors off gens and is an incredibly effective slowdown tactic. Of course you’ll get tons of salt in endgame chat but many survivors don’t seem to care if you as the killer don’t have a fun match.

• Notionless
    Notionless Member Posts: 243
    Options

I think any killer that cannot atleast in theory down survivors really fast needs a teeny bit of slowdown just to keep the game under control. nothin too brutal but maybe surge or NWO. Billy, huntress & co can just snowball quickly so i don't think its as needed when it comes to winrate.

• RaSavage42
    RaSavage42 Member Posts: 5,533
    Options

It's mostly due to BHVR making Gens take longer (I get their thinking behind it... but didn't do anything else)

Which cause Gen regression and Gen progression to be slower... cause again they didn't do anything else

So Survivors will pick perks that either help them in chase (which causes the Killer to on them longer... and more time to get the Gens done) or do the Gens themselves

And the same can be said for Killers... do they want to have chase perks or Gen perks

• Ithiria
    Ithiria Member Posts: 236
    Options

Yeah, this unfortunately.

If you aren't playing someone like blight, nurse, spirit, etc. who can get downs extremely quickly and can also quickly find survivors, you'll struggle to create enough pressure to 4k through downs and hooks alone without tunneling/proxy camping. (dont facecamp, it's just dumb.)

However if you want to find a middle path.... the game has a pretty wide variety of slowdown perks. You can try things other than the COB+Overcharge+Eruption+Nowhere to Hide meta. Plaything with pentimento for example is actually a really good slowdown combo, especially if you're someone like dredge or billy who can get around to throw down pentimento.

There is also yet another alternative, which is to stop caring about 3ks and 4ks. You can totally just play the game, enjoy some chases, and go for snowballs when the opportunity does present itself and you'll still get 1 or 2 kills usually just from end-game. You can even throw on end-game perks which are extremely strong, like No Way Out and NOED. Mad Grit is also a pretty fun perk when I'm not playing sweaty, body blocks while carrying are really common in the end-game especially from the better teams.

• MikeyBoi
    MikeyBoi Member Posts: 537
    Options

You will need gen slowdowns unfortunately on m1 killers with no mobility. When I play Blight, Billy or Huntress it’s usually Lethal Pursuer, BBQ, Shadowborn and either Agitation or Enduring just cause those killers are so strong and don’t need gen slowdown perks, but these damn survivors and their distortion make Billy angry 😤😂

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,927
    edited February 2023
    Options

Another killer that hit high mmr where survivor were super efficient at objective and its really hard to win. A vast majority of my games are very fast as killer. I share same experience as yours. when you reach the top play as killer, that experience is normal. it is why killer run generator defence because the games are just too quick. they have always been too quick. Weaker killer just do not have much kill pressure on the game. its been ongoing problem for many years as killer.