The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Killer has become an unplayable role. Nonstop losses and no relief in sight.

Canas
Canas Member Posts: 1,021
edited February 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

I've been collecting data from several matches since the last patch dropped and noticed an increasingly worrisome trend: matches have become VERY survivor sided. It's borderline impossible to have a normal match as a killer anymore, literally every single survivor group is comparable to a SWF sweat squad and gens pop at rapid speeds. I also see bp incentives for killers seemingly throughout the day, that's how bad things have gotten.

You want some pics? I got pics.

This is my profile; I currently have over 2600 hours on DbD. I've been playing since 2018, mostly as killer.

This is a compilation of recent matches, 18 of them in total. I've been playing as Knight, Legion and Plague in those games and it's been one loss after another.

Some of these matches even featured players with hacked items (yellow flashlights with instablind capability, being able to blind from behind the killer) which has drastically lowered my enjoyment of the game. It's plain torture, not even camping seems to work against these teams.

Everyone brings Adrenaline and Dead Hard, every single survivor is playing at maximum efficency and chases take so long that half of the survivor objective is done when I finally hook someone. The constant information buffs for survivors have created a gap that's so vast that most killers can't even cross it anymore, it feels completely hopeless.

I urge you to revert these HUD-changes, survivors should NEVER have this much information to begin with. The killer entirely relies on survivors mostly lacking coordination and stumbling around; you've put this important aspect entirely on its head and enabled survivors to make a mockery out of killers. This cannot go on.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Canas

I've been cycling through multiple builds for various playstyles but all of them still kept Call of Brine in them. I did try things like Terminus and Bamboozle to deal with Adrenaline and various obscene loops but it hardly made a difference. I tried everything, I went as far to bring Rancor and STBFL along with a mori offering for maximum lethality but it hardly amounted to anything.

I even attempted to stall as Knight by setting up a 3gen but the guards never were able to hit anyone, that's how worthless they are. So all I could do was walk from gen to gen to delay the inevitable.

• Moxie
    Moxie Member Posts: 806

Terminus is currently bugged to not work on Adrenaline. Another reason there is a spike in that perk usage.

• Jylppy
    Jylppy Member Posts: 44

This is why I decide to take a long break. Mostly when I play killer, I encounter very good SWF squads, but in my solo q games as a survivor I encounter like top tier killers. At least it feels like it.

Play other games, see your friends or start a new hobby. Do something else for a while. When fog is a bit clearer, it is good time to make comeback.

• Piruluk
    Piruluk Member Posts: 995

Well its the same as survivor, there are essential perks, or you are going to lose very badly. Running just fun stuff will cost victories on both side.

• AssortedSorting
    AssortedSorting Member Posts: 1,056

Take a break. The more you play the less your MMR will shift, as the limit for how much it can shift per match is lowered the more frequently you play. The more time you're away from the game, the more this limit will revert and the more your MMR can shift from losses. In the event that the developers have implemented core rebalances to mechanics at the detriment to a given role, you might as well want to let your MMR become more malleable before you dive back into the game again, assuming they for whatever reason haven't loosened MMR changes upon the release of the mechanic update.

• Wowie
    Wowie Member Posts: 571

It's easier to run off-meta stuff with survivor than it is for killer. I had a consistent escape streak running No Mither/Tenacity/Soul Guard/Dead Hard.

Granted, Dead Hard is meta, but it didn't work half the time I tried to use it anyway.

Last build I was running was Reactive Healing/Botany/Self-Care/Desperate Measures and I was getting decent escape rates with that one, too.

My latest build is a simple Power Struggle build, with Power Struggle/Flip Flop/Unbreakable/Boil Over but Boil and Unbreakable are pretty strong on their own so I don't think it really applies here.

And keep in mind that I have 1600 hours, with most of them being on survivor ever since the addition of Nemesis, so I can't be that low in MMR (as if that means anything anyway). So yeah, off-meta stuff is still mostly viable on survivor while it isn't on killer.

• spirit72
    spirit72 Member Posts: 227

Yeah, I dunno man. Any idea where your MMR might be? I like to think mine is somewhere in the middle(I'm a competent Survivor.....not bad, not great), and I can tell you that even this afternoon, Killers are doing just fine due to the usual boneheaded Solo Q Survivor stuff.

• Piruluk

Well of course, its always will be harder to play the one role, because you are going against 4 other human, and you are just alone. So you arent permitted any mistake, while survivors are sharing the work, so they have it easier.

Its not really something that you can change, because as far as I know dbd devs want to have casual audience, if you make the killer role too strong then survivor numbers will drop, and at the long run the game will decline because of it.

So far this HUD change, I have to say the queue still very fast for survivor, so that means, that killer numbers are still very very healthy.

• Wowie
    Wowie Member Posts: 571

Right, but I'm not really suggesting that the HUD changes are bad for the game or that killer should be an easy role.

My point is that they're focusing too hard on competitive aspects of the game and as such the things that made it fun on both sides are now suffering as they no longer fall under the umbrella of what BHVR wants for DbD. Thus, you now see even less perk variety on killers and survivors both and games are gradually going to become so indistinguisable from each other that you might as well be playing any other generic comp game.

Until they realign with what the community liked about the game, it will slowly die.

That's my issue with the direction DbD is heading, and I know it is vaguely incomprehensible, for which I am sorry but it is so damn hot in my room that it is very difficult to think or form coherent sentences at this current moment in time.

• KMainEZ
    KMainEZ Member Posts: 129

Its definitely gotten harder out here. I've gone from consistent 3-4k games with the odd loss, to having to sweat for a 3k since the update - and they happen a lot less frequently than before. Personally i think the HUD buff was necessary but im of the mind that killers need something now. Map changes in their favour would be a good start imo. New meta shake up would also be great. Im sure the devs are working on something

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,164

IDK, maybe it's just my area or maybe because I don't play as often (and constantly switch up Killers) that my MMR dropped greatly but I've been having no issues murdering those meddling survivors.

Although at least reading this thread, I seem to be in the minority so...not sure what's up. I can't imagine my MMR has dropped that much since I do still play a match or two every day, even if that's a lot less than what I used to play. I don't run super sweaty builds (my builds vary based on the killer but I usually will run either Jolt or Oppression and Call of Brine for my slowdown perks and then various random other perks like Hysteria or Nurse's Calling or Blood Warden)

• spirit72
    spirit72 Member Posts: 227

I think your penultimate sentence may have said it all. I think "Meta" is the real issue anymore. There are just so many perks on both sides that can be stacked and combined to make things real difficult for one side. And when they address it, it results in just a new meta. I had a match just maybe an hour ago where Spirit was running Eruption, Jolt AND Dead Man's Switch. Talk about a toxic build...we were lucky to get 3 gens done, and almost nothing we could do about it. I'm all for Killers being able to slow gen progress down via perks, but jeez! Anyway.....

• Piruluk

Yeah, but any multiplayer game always have a meta. The best way to play, and especially nowadays you just watch a streamer and you already know the meta, and most people want to win at all cost, so they play that way which gives most chance to win.

Devs decided and wanted to make the game more comp type instead of party game, so there is no turning back now.

• KMainEZ
    KMainEZ Member Posts: 129

I imagine that would be rough. I don't run slowdowns, with the exception of jolt on some M1 killers - but my builds are heavily chase oriented. With fewer chases because shorter matches it has become harder, at least from my POV.

I wonder what the game would look like if they vetoed the top 20 used perks for a month?

• VideoGameMage
    VideoGameMage Member Posts: 358

They aren't going to revert anything, the devs decided this game needs to become more balanced and competitive so they're changing things accordingly. Solo q buffs came first now they're working on killer/perk rebalancing. If you can't handle this rough period while they fix things at a snails pace I suggest you stop playing killer.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

What's a "normal" match

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,492

It's not that bad I would like to see some of your matches. Some games are rough but there are still normal games. Did you tunnel in any of these games it's most viable strat for killers and you can win even gen effient teams with it.

3 genning with knight should almost quarantee you win if you run eruption, call of brian etc. Use the quards to kick and chase survivors away from gens. I had played soloQ agains't that kind of knight and games lasted +30 mins and we lost.

Before this hud update I was gold IV on killer but now im red rank I. I have had many 3-4K:s in row with Wraith, Oni and Spirit but I do sweat like my life debends on it... That's how you have to play killer if you want to win most of your games.

As solo survivor I still get useless teammates but it is bit better after this update. I still die most of my games today just died 4 games a row and even in garden of misery. So this update is fine but weaker killers does need buffs now. Swf is still much more powerful if you play with decent teammates. This update still does not fix bad teammates and make them better.

• StutteringSpartan
    StutteringSpartan Member Posts: 254

The more worrisome part of it all is - they’ve made balancing changes to the game for both sides over the past xx months. Now with this latest patch the efficiency of survivors has increased immensely to the point where every game for killer feels like you’re facing a SWF sweat squad.

I honestly don’t know how they’re gonna fix it. This isn’t a tweak gen speed, perks, or killer movement speed buff solution.

• Canas

I already have over 2600 hours on the game and you're telling me I need even MORE hours? Are you joking?

• Canas

That would be a 2K/draw but as you can see even that has become a rarity.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,455

cool story bro

• Veinslay
    Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959

Yeah the efficiency is insane now. Every game feels like playing against 4 man sweat squad. Gens are absolutely flying and then in the end game screen I'm seeing 2 Kindreds and a Bond in addition to the 4 Dead Hards and 3 Windows of Opportunity. You pretty much need to play accepting that you're just going to lose more often than not because the game favors survivor so much or just quit until they give us 1% faster pallet breaking six months from now

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

There are many variables that don't transpire from just the result of a few games.

Maybe post a video of what you consider a typical match and we can brainstorm something that could change things for better.

Your experience suggests that you are experiencing balanced kill rates now and overly favorable trials before.

• Forza
    Forza Member Posts: 109

i mean imagine saying that to a 6000 hour survivor.

oh wait, you are.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,532
    edited February 2023

So it happened with your games as well? If you don't mind, what perks were you using? I had a very similar experience of me getting curb stomped by default but figured it might have something to do with me bringing no gen defense and playing nice (no tunneling / camping). I made a post about it too and it seems that this is a trend for quite a few players. I'm honestly curious what killers will get in return because this HUD change clearly happened to have a much bigger impact on the game than (at least some of) the devs expected.

I don't think killer is unplayable, though. Just a whole lot less fun. Hopefully BHVR won't take too long to think of something for killers now that SoloQ got their 'QoL' improvements. Base kit Lethal Pursuer would be nice. Maybe even 50% base regress instead of 25%?

Post edited by Xernoton on
  • Veinslay
    Veinslay Member Posts: 1,959

Most killers are only playable with CoB+Eruption+Overcharge+Nowhere to Hide unless someone on the survivor team is cleansing dulls or hiding in the terror radius all game for a challenge. That's not good at all

• Canas
    edited February 2023

I used several perks but refrained from using Eruption since I get very little value out of it due to gens popping before I'm even able to down someone. Here's a list of the perks I used on my killers in various combinations:

• Call of Brine (never took it off)
    • Corrupt Intervention (only on Plague)
    • Deadlock
    • Nowhere To Hide
    • Brutal Strength
    • Enduring
    • Bamboozle
    • STBFL
    • Rancor
    • Sloppy Butcher
    • Shattered Hope
    • Terminus
    • No One Escapes Death
  • Predated
    Predated Member Posts: 2,976
    edited February 2023

Ah yes, increase the gap between solo and swf to make killer easier thanks to exploiting the lack of communication, instead of closing that gap to see where killers lack the most when playing against coordinating survivors.

You do realize that after the meta changes in 6.1, with Thana being the way it was, the average killrate was 3.5? That means that survivors rarely escaped, and when they did, it was most likely hatch.

Yeah, killer meta kinda sucks right now, but survivor meta has sucked too. Just take a break from the role/game untill they change it. I've done it before, heck, I've played killer games for 3 chapters only, I've played survivor games for 3 chapters only, I've left the game for 8 chapters once. Taking a break when you cant handle the current stress around the meta is not something to be ashamed of. You're not unskilled for it, you're not hating the game for it, you're not even lame for doing so.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,532

Thanks. Your perks seem to be more aggressive rather than destined to hold a 3 gen as well. I mostly run different aura builds. Let's give it a bit of time and see how BHVR react. We somehow managed before 6.1.0 as well.

I agree that the game should be balanced around one standard that is somewhere near the level of SWFs. However, I'm not sure that adding unlimited Bond and maybe even aura vision on the killer as long as one survivor has a line of sight is good idea. SWF have that information anyway, yes, but how exactly can you balance around this? Trapper will stay Trapper. He will never be Nurse. The same goes for other killers as well. Adding more and more power-creep in hope that it will somehow even out eventually is unlikely to work.

I also don't like the idea of everyone running around with what would had been 2 or 3 different builds a year ago simply because there is X amount of perks base kit. Maybe thats just me, though.

• Canas

The matchmaking is supposed to adapt to the level of each player over time and yet that hasn't happened.

I also don't have any recordings since my potato rig wouldn't be able to endure it, infact it would only handicap my performance.