The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Dead Hard - What are your problems with it?

Heyo, I wanted to make a thread on this topic because after the Eruption fiasco the Dead Hard discourse has already begun to flare up again.

As somebody who's not really cared too much for new DH since it's rework, I wanted to try to come to an understanding about what issues people have with the new version and what bothers them the most about it.

For me personally - The only issues I've encountered with new DH while playing Killer are:

• Sometimes playing pallets is a lose/lose if the survivor has good timing
  • The 'wait game' has only gotten worse compared to how it was pre-rework. I still think New DH is weaker than old DH but the fact that the perk is still pretty rewarding when it goes off leads to a lot of waiting.
  • This also means that even if a survivor doesn't have it, they can pretend like they do to waste a bit more of the Killers time in chase. If you play survivor but don't use DH, try it - do the thing where you turn toward the killer when they are within lunge range and see how many times they actually wait.

That's it for me, what are your problems?

Comments

• Brokenbones
    Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,167

I can't disagree, in basically all of my games there is always at least 1 person running it.

But is that because DH is insanely powerful or is it because the perk is just fun to use and rewarding? I genuinely don't know.

This is how the whole "Maybe Windows needs a nerf" discussion started as well - the sheer frequency of the perk.

• Dinan
    Dinan Member Posts: 33

its not like im gonna use poised or something, ofc im gonna use perks that dont suck.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,830

To be fair, it is both strong and fun to pull off. Yes it can inflate egos, but it does feel satisfying pulling off something borderline stupid and saving a match because you could parry a hit (which begs the question of why so many auto dh exist).

• Brokenbones

Well yeah, people gravitate towards their preferred playstyle and/or the meta perks because they net the best results

This thread isn't criticising people for using DH, it's a discussion to figure out what people's core issues with the perk are because as someone who's played mostly killer lately I'm not as annoyed by it as a lot of others are.

Like people comparing it to Eruption, I get the comparison but I also don't fully agree with it

• Brokenbones

Worth mentioning though DH does basically nothing against a Deathslinger who's good with their power, not only can the killer always force a deep wound but you can't DH when you're speared. There's at least some ranged killers who can deal with it

There are valid complaints about it, for sure.

I made this very thread to hear those kinda complaints since my personal perspective is that I'm not really bothered by the perk all that much.

I see it a lot, on pretty decent survivors too but I typically don't feel robbed like I did before with old DH.

• Moxie
    Moxie Member Posts: 806

Main issue is it has no down side like other exhaustion perks.

Sprint Burst you have to walk to save it. Balanced needs a drop and Lithe needs a vault point.

Only downside to DH is when you use it but you get "exhausted on ground" which is more a server/ping issue than the perk itself.

• Brokenbones

???

The person I was replying to mentioned Trickster already

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,658

What was the point of mentioning deathslinger? Do you think it helps trickster players, when you mention that deathslinger is cool with dead hard? Do you think at helps trickster players when you say you personally don't feel like dead hard robs you?

• Brokenbones
    edited February 2023

What's your problem I wasn't even talking to you

The person was talking about ranged killers getting hard countered by DH and I said hey at least deathslinger can deal with it

• Coffeecrashing

And that was completely unrelated information that was completely unhelpful. If someone is having issues with characters like Trickster, telling them "well, deathslinger is cool with dead hard" doesn't help them at all.

Dead hard is unnecessarily oppressive against certain killers, and reminding people that some killers are ok with new dead hard, doesn't help anyone at all, and doesn't solve the issue that dead hard is unnecessarily oppressive against certain killers.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,492

I think the game should show the killer who has dh while injured so you know to bait it out and then when survivors don't have it you can just lunge normally.

• Brokenbones

That's an interesting suggestion honestly, but I wonder how you would do that

Would it be some kind of visual on the survivor or would it be something on the HUD?

• nf452
    nf452 Member Posts: 18

Yeah many players can reliably dh the slow attacks (lunge), but the quick attack is just not reactable even if you have godlike ping and the dh mini game that most people complain about start when they are close to the survivor. It is a gamble situation for both sides, whether people want to admit it or not and it is annoying because a survivor wastes a few seconds from the killer, but there is no way for a player to react on a point-blank attack. More than ever the new dh is relient on ping, now that you cant use it for distance . Also lot of killer players have adjusted to the pallet and vaults and most of the times can bait dead hard.

New dh can be used for distance against Deathslingers.The small dash can be enough to avoid the hook in some situations. The new dh is objectively worse than the old dh and i hope no one disagrees with this. What the new one lacks is consistency. At least old one had i-frames and if u did it for distance it was 100% consistent.

• Laluzi
    Laluzi Member Posts: 6,057

I don't mind Dead Hard in its current state. Maybe that there's nothing the killer can do if the survivor uses it at a pallet, but hey, that's the play. And the waiting game is stupid, but I don't see a way to change that.

It's funny, because Dead Hard used to make me pull my hair out and now, for the most part, I just find myself going "nice, good play" when I get Dead Harded. Mostly I find that once I've identified the perk on a survivor, I can no-sell it for the rest of the match, which was assuredly not the case with old Dead Hard.

• Coffeecrashing

That still doesn’t address the fact that new dead hard is more oppressive than old dead hard against certain killers. By telling people the counterplay is a quick m1 attack, you just told trickster players they should stop using their power, and use their slow walking speed to walk into point blank range of a survivor. How is that fair? Do you think “stop using your power” is a fair counterplay?

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,607

I don't play that much Trickster, so perhaps there's something I'm missing, but what exactly is stopping a Trickster player from holding the last knife until after the DH, or from throwing a knife intentionally to the side to force a survivor into reacting even though the knife misses them?

Like I said, I don't play Trickster much, but those would be my instincts when I know a survivor has Dead Hard. As with most killers, the counterplay is to bait it out - or to just circumvent it, but outside of perks that doesn't apply to Trickster.

• Anti051
    Anti051 Member Posts: 606

For me, the lose/lose situation at/near most pallets with Dead Hard kinda breaks the contest of the activity and ruins the fun, especially while playing M1 killers.

• Coffeecrashing

Trickster's knives have travel time, and survivors can notice if his character starts facing a different direction. And this is only an example involving trickster. Huntress has a similar issue, and she can't rapid fire hatchets, so it's even more noticable if she turns to try to fake a hatchet the wrong way. This also doesn't help killers like Pyramid Head, whose power is so heavily telegraphed, that a survivor can dead hard it on reaction, even if it's at point blank range. And that's not even the full list.

The problem with dead hard has always been scenarios where the survivor doesn't have to predict an attack. With old dead hard, "dead hard for distance" was a scenario where it didn't need to be used predictively, but that didn't mean "dead hard for distance" was the only problem people could ever have with dead hard. People using dead hard on reaction to lunges, or certain killer powers, is the same type of problem as "dead hard for distance" used to be, where there's no prediction or mind games, and instead the survivor is just either using the perk proactively or reactively.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,607

I'm not saying facing a different direction, I'm talking about aiming very slightly to the left so the knife just barely misses them. Or like I said, just hold the last knife for an extra second, I'm willing to bet most survivors would preemptively hit E at least the first time. Or just keep throwing, I know Trickster can chew through Endurance if he's got enough knives or has his Main Event up. Or bring addons and perks that deal with Exhaustion perks... I dunno, maybe I'm missing something, but it sure sounds like he has a lot of options to deal with Dead Hard and other sources of Endurance.

There are definitely killers who are more likely to hit into Dead Hard, but for the most part, it's killers for whom that isn't damaging. Blight and Nurse don't give half a damn, for instance, and even Huntress can ready up another hit super quickly, as well as being able to partially bait it out with camera flicks and such. They all, too, have addons and perks to handle it, though I will say that shouldn't be the default expectation. All killers should have some basekit way of adapting to DH, and outside of Twins (poor things), I am pretty sure most killers do.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,432

The knives move extremely slow. Not slow enough to react, and then move out of the way physically with travel time and animation and reaction. But certainly slow enough to determine if it will hit you, then press "e'.

• Coffeecrashing

The biggest problem is MMR. It doesn't matter if half the playerbase can be tricked by a projectile flick, MMR will still try to match me with the people that are really good at using dead hard, and those games feel miserable regardless if I win or lose.

And the speed boost makes it so that Huntress can't just ready up another hit super quickly. Her hatchet tap creates a really slow projectile, and the speed boost moves the survivor so far away that it's difficult to land a fully charged hatchet if the survivor starts wiggle dancing to try to dodge the hatchet.

And killers like Nurse absolutely do care, especially now that her range and recharge addons got buried. She still needs to go into fatigue, then slowly recharge tokens, then has to start chasing a survivor that is far away because of their speed boost. And her new chase music is so loud and miserable that survivors go instantly silent is they break line of sight, which they can often do because of the speed boost.

All this could have been fixed if survivors didn't get a speed boost. Allowing survivors to tank a hit should have been good enough. BHVR really didn't need to attach a speed boost to it. If there wasn't a speed boost, then yes, maybe huntress and trickster could better handle dead hard, but BHVR decided to combine two perks into one. Remember that the speed boost didn't exist with old dead hard. Survivors would just tank a hit, then be a bit farther forward than they were before. The new speed boost creates problems for killers, that didn't exist with old dead hard, and it should be valid to complain about it, even though it's not the same problem people had with old dead hard.

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,327

Enough with the whining about DH, it got nerfed, get over it.

• Juicyman
    Juicyman Member Posts: 135

If your plan of action is to M1 then most pallets are very safe and you have to break them. For the few that aren't safe and you can actually play around you will have to perform a telegraphed lunge which will hit DH. DH pretty much removes the ability to play these few pallets if you are going for the safest outcome. If you try and perform mind games at pallets you have no business successfully getting a hit at (survivor error) you will often still find yourself required to lunge, which again, results in hitting DH. The safest outcome is, once again, just to break the pallet.

You could play around these scenarios knowing DH is in the play, but if you're going to be optimal you're 100% better just removing the resource and removing the interaction instead of hoping the survivor messes up. People often say that the "wait out mind game" is interactive but the same people are ignoring these predictable and noninteractive outcomes at the few pallets that you can actually play.

As someone who loathes DH because of how much it actually limits the killer's interactions with the survivor the only time I like the perk is when a survivor flies in and takes a protection hit with it. I'd personally love to see this aspect of the perk become its focus if possible.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

My only problem with it is that just like the boons, DH can be used over and over. Second chance perks shouldn't work this way, especially with generator defense perks continuing to be nerfed. DH should be redesigned to be a limited or one time use perk. Like many others have mentioned, it all but guarantees safety at a pallet. Either the killer swings and hits the DH, or the survivor can turn around and drop the pallet afterwards.

Either way, this new meta still hasn't differentiated enough from the old meta, and more needs to change.

• nf452
    nf452 Member Posts: 18

Yes there is a huge downside to dead hard. It is called consistency, or rather inconsistency. Most of these perks you describe share this. They are consistent..They will work 100% of the time when you need them.. E.g you are working on a gen on the first floor, or on a hill. You drop when the killer is close and balanced landing works 100%. You are working on a gen in a deadzone and you sprinburst to safety. Works 100%. You vault a window or a pallet with lithe. Works 100%. There are so many times that i was in a dead zone working on a gen and vaulted a TL wall or a stupid U wall and manage to reach a good tile before the killer caught up on me. It doesnt matter if you have to use them preemptively. By using them that way you can go to a safer area or even a great area with chained tiles. There are so many times that i've watched streamers with thousands of hours saying that they pressed E and they were dead on the ground. In addition to that, do not forget that the distance that a survivor can make when hit from the killer was nerfed way back. Im not saying that dh is not strong, but i point the downsides that u couldnt find.

The other thing that you say about tunneling the dead hard players as a strategy. Im not sure about the situation you describe. Maybe you are talking about when immediately another survivor farms them which i guess ok(?)..or you are implying that except from tunneling you are camping them too. There is no way you are in a chase far away from the hook and you have enough time to return back and the hooked survivor didnt have enough time to get at least healed inder the hook. If you play this way though, against goos survivors this is an easy gen rush.

• DBDVulture
    DBDVulture Member Posts: 2,437

The biggest problem with Dead Hard is that it gives you a third health state.

DH would be fine for example if it penalized you for healing and encouraged you to play hurt the rest of the game after you had become injured. But then most people who are using it now would turn their nose because that's exactly what they want. A third health state lets you have a 60-90 second chase vs some killers instead of a 40-60 second chase.

What kind of Nerf should DH get? Make all healing actions take twice as long (except for mending which will now take 50% longer). Prevent any kind of funky math with sloppy or any addons so you get some benefit for stacking but not crazy amounts.

The easiest way and most fair way to nerf DH would be to make it give you the "broken" state for the rest of the game as soon as you use it. This would make it make perfect sense to use AND have synergy with the perk no mither.

The best counter to Dead Hard is hard tunneling+ STBFL. If I know someone has DH then I always hit them immediately as they get off the hook to take it away from them. If you time this perfectly because you were proxy camping there is no counter to this action. This sucks as an idea because the best counter to one of the strongest perks requires you to proxy/face camp AND hard tunnel them.

STBFL is one of the best perks in the game right now at high MMR because so many people use DH. You can punch one person three times rapidly; not only will you not care you will benefit from punching them three times. Granted if you are using this perk on a killer who can't maintain stacks then that is a problem.

• Witchubtet
    Witchubtet Member Posts: 640

Like it would be fine if I saw it once a match but everyone and their mother runs it.

• NODD3RS
    NODD3RS Member Posts: 150

Idk half the killer powers in the game include “waiting it out.” Like wait out demos shred, take the window or get hit, or dont, and still get hit. Like huntress, nemesis, deathslinger, ph, blight, and probably other killers. Same premise as dh. It is bad game design. Punishes people for playing well. I dont have a problem going against those killers.. or deadhard. But i do agree that Dh should be reworked.

• Malkhrim
    Malkhrim Member Posts: 956

There are two things I hate about Dead Hard:

1. The lose-lose situations on pallets., not to mention the survivor is rewarded with the same distance as any hit, meaning they get more distance they before and don't need to drop the pallet.
    2. The fact that DH exists mean you have to wait and waste a few seconds before every downing hit until the perk is used or you can confirm the survivor you're chasing doesnt'have it. Some skilled survivors can wait for a LONG time before using Dead Hard, and that can be enough for the others to finish a gen before you can proc perks like Jolt or Pain Resonance (Eruption too... but let's be honest, nobody is going to use it anymore). On a game where every second counts and playing killer can feel quite rushed sometimes, this is annoying as hell.
  • cluxdx
    cluxdx Member Posts: 168

My problem with it is that it's just not fun. Sure it's still probably the strongest survivor perk in the game, but its strength isn't really my issue, nor is it the occasional lose/lose when someone makes a pallet from it. My problem is that it predominantly punishes M1 killers (who are already generally weak) and also forces me to waste my time waiting around to swing when in any other case I could just down the person.

The amount of times lately I've waited almost 5 seconds to swing right behind someone just for them to Dead Hard on the third juke when I finally M1 them also has me questioning how many players I face that really could be cheating that I just never noticed before. It blurs the lines between cheaters and legitimate players when I'm sitting there wondering "Did they just get THAT lucky or is something a little fishy here?"

• Sava18
    Sava18 Member Posts: 2,439

It's just a bit annoying to play around constantly. To me they should gut it due to the sheer longevity of it's strength over the duration of this games life span.

• TheWheelOfCheese
    TheWheelOfCheese Member Posts: 666

My main complaint about DH, aside from it feeling annoying to play against, is that it creates the same problem as Eruption currently does on the survivor side. I'm not comparing the strength of the perks, only that they both "infect" the game simply by being in the game, regardless of whether they are actually equipped:

You have to assume they're in play until you know they're not.

This means sniffing survivors' butts to bait it out in case they might have it. The same way you have to "play around Eruption" until you know the killer doesn't have it.

The fact that both of these perks force boring and silly counterplay in anticipation of them possibly being in play is really unfun and gets old quickly.

• TigerSnake
    TigerSnake Member Posts: 531

Perk single-handedly changes the entire way you play the game regardless of if they even have it or not.

• Coffeecrashing

And with certain killers, it's way more than a few seconds. There are a lot of times, where I can hit someone with a fully charged Huntress hatchet at a distance, and it would take me way longer than a few seconds to use my slow killer walking speed to get into point blank range, so I could do a quick m1 attack instead.

• FengShuiExe
    FengShuiExe Member Posts: 84

As any killer with a decent power, it's w/e for deadhard. For the M1 killers it's painful to see. M1 killers already have an uphill battle sometimes and having to hit a survivor 3 times can take way too much time. You have to fake deadhard on all survivors at least once per match just to see if they have deadhard which is stacking on more time in chase. Even once you know who has deadhard you have to keep faking until they use it and either take a swing at DH or let them run to a safe loop.

M1 killers are the ones who really struggle with deadhard.

• Aurelle
    Aurelle Member Posts: 3,611

Mainly the fact that it's a lose/lose scenario at certain pallets and windows.

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436

I'm pretty much neutral about it. It's not fun for Killers but there are things that Killers can do that are far more fun than DH (eg cross map shots on Artist and Huntress) but probably aren't that much fun to the survivor who gets dropped out of the blue. If everything that was fun for one side but annoying for the other got blocked there wouldn't be a game.

The true test, in my opinion, is if DH users survive significantly more than people using SB and Lithe. If DH users do then DH needs a nerf. If they don't then it's annoying to watch DH be used at a pallet but you wouldn't have gotten to the pallet that quickly anyway if SB or Lithe were used so I keep that in mind.

• Malkhrim
    Malkhrim Member Posts: 956

Since comparing it to Eruption is unavoidable, here's something: Eruption used to do two things that combined were really good. It regressed gens and incapacitated survivors. One was removed and the other nerfed.

Dead Hard also used to do two really annoying things: it gave the survivor free distance and forced the killer to wait before a hit. The first one ceased to be free and gained a condition (good timing before a hit). The second one became worse since the distance is even bigger if you fail to wait it out.