Survivors, why do you bring medkits if you don’t want to use them?

I’ve played so many matches in solo Q with other survivors who bring medkits and then as soon as they’re injured, they run to me on a gen and want me to jump off the gen I’m on to heal them. Why?

Now I understand in some cases you may have depleted your medkit and need to be healed but I’m talking at 5 gens when youre on your first hit or first hook. You obviously haven’t used your medkit yet. So why would you want your teammate to stop doing a gen to heal you instead of using the item you specifically brought to heal yourself with?

Also, when I bring a medkit I bring it to use it. I hate when someone unhooks me and they chase after me to heal me and then they stand there and teabag trying to indicate to let them heal me when I’m clearly healing myself. To me, that’s one extra set of hands that could be doing a gen somewhere else or rescuing someone from hook, but you’re standing there trying to heal someone who’s clearly using a medkit.

Is there something I’m not understanding?

Comments

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

I don't really have anything to add to this other than I feel the exact same way and it's really annoying being followed for heals when I can heal myself in 8 seconds and the other person can just go do a gen.

My best guess is archives but it's way too common for that to always be the reason.

• BougieBlackChick
    BougieBlackChick Member Posts: 316

Yeah if I have a medkit, I’d always rather other peoples hands be on gens. Same when someone brings Boon: CoH. We have a boon totem right there for you to use to heal up but you want me to stop doing this gen to heal you? I don’t get it.

• NewPlayer100102
    NewPlayer100102 Member Posts: 515

Medkits are for healing generators.

I just figured that out myself.

Also T-Bag means "Thanks for your service."

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,873

If a teammate is near me, I'll let them heal me an conserve my charges. Most of the time they want to do it, ostensibly for the altruism points.

If no one is in my immediate area, I'll use the kit.

One thing that is annoying is when the game is reaching the end, and/or a teammate's gen is nearly done and they run to me and clamor to let them heal me because they are that thirsty for the points. I've even had standoffs where I pointed at the gen and they refuse to continue repairing it because they are hell bent on healing me.

Sometimes I think they think I am using Self-Care, but who the hell runs Self-Care anymore?

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,376

They might want to make it last in case they need it in a clutch (had a game yesterday where we had to do an endgame save, my medkit was depleted, and the other survivor was on the opposite side of the killer and hook), or maybe seeing if you wanted the healing points?

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,296

I could see if they are running a styptic agent or Anti-Hem add-on. Other than that maybe to give teammates points and save charges?

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,654

Personally, I don't like using finite resources early if I don't absolutely have to. An empty medkit does me no good later if I'm stuck with no other way to heal once people are dead or hooked.

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

It's a black-or-white decision. It's dictated by the circumstances. The correct answer might be any one among:

• get healed and save the medkit for later, if there's no immediate pressure to repair gens;
    • self heal because you'll give killer snowball at this moment if you're injured, but let others repair because you're behind on the objective;
    • or, there's no time to heal at all, killer has too much pressure, just push gens.
  • remoirel
    remoirel Member Posts: 231

if i bring a medkit its for using it when i need to heal and nobody is around. If someone saves me and theres no heartbeat (or i save them) then we're healing eachother sorry 💁‍♀️

• K_Nottie16
    K_Nottie16 Member Posts: 72

Honestly i forget to use it sometimes because i dont usually bring items. I always run coh so if i dont have my boon up I'll use the medkit for emergency purposes.

*Side note*

Love the username

• BougieBlackChick
    BougieBlackChick Member Posts: 316

I totally get wanting to save your medkits. That’s understandable. I personally am just not going to stop doing a gen to heal someone who has a medkit if we’re still at 5 gens or if there’s a ton of pressure from the killer. The gens are the objective so if a surv has another way to heal, use it is my opinion. I also don’t want 1-2 survivors chasing me down to try and heal me when we need hands on gens and I have a medkit.

I bring my item to use it. If I don’t make it out of the match that item is gone, so if I don’t use it I lose a full item. I’m a loot goblin tho so…

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142

I need my medkit for when there are no survivors left to heal me and I want to be healthy looking for hatch

• Quizzy
    Quizzy Member Posts: 862

I literally leave you after i unhook you when i see you have a medkit tbh

• Trollinmon
    Trollinmon Member Posts: 690

So medkits are insanely broken. If you actually look at what medkits do you see why survivors will do what they are doing. What makes medkits insane is that you don't require to find and have someone heal you. If it takes me 16 seconds to find someone and then 16 seconds for them to heal me then that took 48 seconds of gen efficiency to get healed(16x2+16). A medkit in comparison is 16 seconds with no heal speed. So if you are removing the finding part/massively reducing it then saving the medkit is usually ideal.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

I generally prefer to save my charges for when I really need them. However it's going to vary depending on the state of the match.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

It's vital for a solo player to have one heal left for the end game. And how can I save you in the end if I'm injured and killer is proxy camping?

• himheart
    himheart Member Posts: 93

Is there something I’m not understanding?

Yeah, that there is not only black and white.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,873

Just because they have one doesn't mean it has any charges remaining.

Yeah, they're busted af. Which is why survs would be foolish not to run them. I've said before, but medkits stand alone in utility among surv items. Unless you're trying to genrush or doing a blind challenge, there's really no reason to run anything but a medkit.

For sure. And if a killer hooks someone in the end game, they're going to be at least proxy camping, because there is really nothing else for them to do at that point. I hate having to leave someone on hook, but if I'm injured and there's no one else, what else can you do?

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,258

I usually take a brown medkit with me, sometimes with add-ons - usually without. It's the "idfk where anyone is but I need a heal now to xyz" - this situation usually occurs in late to endgame or if a killer has a back-to-hook-tendency and I and whoever unhooked me need to split up asap.

Now, when the right time to use the medkit is depends very much on the situation. - But it's definitely not the right time when the only reason to use it is "because you have it". That aside: regardless of how the heal occurs there are situations where healing is not the way to go in general. Except if you just want to farm benelovent points - which is fair enough, I guess but I don't blame anyone for not partaking.

• Quizzy
    Quizzy Member Posts: 862

No worries. I pay close attention to hud and know if they heal. I always assume by default that they have a brown medkit. If they heal once, then ill heal them regardless if they have more charges once unhooked

• Entitled_survivor
    Entitled_survivor Member Posts: 828

I had a Nea dc after she unhooked me and i wouldnt let her heal me cuz killer had sloppy, she had no medkit or healing perks and i happened to have a green medkit 😂i still laugh to tbis day about that game

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142

"idfk where anyone is but I need a heal now"

I tried a build that turned me into Circle of Healing. Empathic Connection so injured survivors could see me. Botany Knowledge for heal speed. Bite the Bullet for stealth. Vigil to help them recover from exhaustion (because what else does that perk do??)

What happens? Injured Leon kites the killer into me (successfully). I manage to lose the killer with a god pallet on The Game map, and hop back on my gen. Leon's still injured for minutes on end, despite others being chased and he can see my aura working safely on a gen.

Survivors using Empathic Connection to get healed up? Nah...

Survivors using Empathic Connection to ditch the killer on someone else? Heck yeah!

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,258

Ouch, haven't seen that happening yet but sounds like a very dbd moment.

I did see the one or another with empathic connection and while the use I get out of it is usually where that teamie is on a gen (usually also on the exact opposite of the map, so not really worth running to at that point) or where not to run ich chase. - But I could see it also being useful in a variation of the situation you're describing: if the perk user is healthy and fresh hook and a chased, injured is death hook. - In that case it would make perfect sense to run the killer into the perk user (safe for them being on a very far progressed gen or in a reset).