Good lord that music is atrocious

SweetTerror
SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

How does anyone play skull merchant with that abysmal 2 second loop of chase music? People rightfully gave the reworked chase music for Ghostface crap because it was grating to the ears. How could they not? After all it sounded like a washing machine, and yet the skull merchant is somehow even worse.

Seriously, gameplay discussions aside I can't stand the music. It's very annoying, and no matter how hard I try to look past it, I just can't. Out of all the killers, I can't think of a worse chase music.

Comments

• AMOGUS
    AMOGUS Member Posts: 482

Yeah, the composer (I forget his name) has been really good with new chase music ever since they started that with Oni, but it seems like he's been sort of... losing his touch? I suppose it's the result of having to make songs for years every... what, 4 months..? but... it's becoming a noticeable pattern. Hag, Nurse, Knight, and now Skull Merchant... there's others I'm forgetting, I'm sure.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

Yeah it's not my favorite but I'm so focused when I play I just tune it out but honestly this is something I'm all for people complaining about since I'd be happy to get something a bit better.

I get what they were going for with the two layers one invoking the sounds of radar with a tribal hunter drum type beat underneath but the radar bit is just kinda annoying. If they take that out and make the drums a bit longer before it loops that would be so much better.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,018

still think clown is the worst offender in the game for ear drilling chase music

• hailxsatanxeveryxday
    hailxsatanxeveryxday Member Posts: 913

I wish there was a way we could replace the music tracks in the game with our own.

Some people might play in complete silence in hopes of hearing the other side better, but that doesn't give you any advantage that buying a $300 pair of headphones wouldn't.

I'd pay a full DLC price for the option to replace all of the ingame music with horrorcore, goth rock, and black metal.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,267

I was actually going to make this exact comment lmao. DBDs recent love with 2 second music loops for chase music overstayed it's welcome since clowns music

• Leguś
    Leguś Member Posts: 181

One thing people don't seem to know is that the Layer 4 - the Chase track - has to be a bit repetitive because actually at any point of it "playing" the chase can happen. Also, each Terror Radius Layer is actually about 30s in length.

Hag's Layer 4 is specifically even harder to balance out because same Layer is used by Phantasm Traps. Although, the variety in the section is there - the water/log-like sound fades in and out from the layer. Maybe the drums are a little bit too dominant but assuming you know the reasoning as to why it has to be like this then it's at least not terrible.

Knight's Layer 4 has the bell ring change within said Layer. The pattern is "normal - difference 1 - normal - difference 2" and etc. Maybe again, the consistent rhythm part with drums is a bit too loud although you can argue it fits him due to him being a "Summon Army" Character.

Nurse's Layer 4 loops perfectly with itself. The dominant instruments provide lots of variety as well. I don't know why people think it's washing machine-like.

Skull Merchant's Layer 4 has a lot going on with itself. Maybe similar issue like with Knight where 1 sound is a bit too dominant but it's not the worst.

Also, if people are having issues with repetitive chase tracks then why nobody complains about Executioner literally having about 8s loop and the only variation in said Layer is harder to catch.

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,611

"Also, if people are having issues with repetitive chase tracks then why nobody complains about Executioner literally having about 8s loop and the only variation in said Layer is harder to catch."

Because it's not nearly as bad as those other examples.

• Entitled_survivor
    Entitled_survivor Member Posts: 828

She makes ghostface's washing machine sound like an exotic songbird

• Remedicist
    Remedicist Member Posts: 1,096

The way her theme sounds when she is near 32 and 16 meters is cool. I don't know why they didn't stick with that kind of sound in a more emphasized chase format for the actual chase theme.

• SweetTerror
    SweetTerror Member Posts: 2,695

True. Sound plays a pivotal role in this game, so playing with a headset is practically a necessity. But because the music is so grating to the ears, I'm looking to end chases as soon as possible so that way I don't have to keep listening to that god-awful loop.

More power to those who can, but I'm not one of them.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

$300 headphone just makes these chase music changes worse.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,553

The first layers of terror radius are pretty cool.

But the chase layers with their drumloops are really annoying and loud at the moment.

• Phasmamain
    Phasmamain Member Posts: 11,531

Hag’s is still worse imo but yeah merchant’s sucks. Just give every killer wesker’s chase music and I’ll be happy

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,856

I actually really like her chase track, i think it's pretty bop.

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,611

The concept of Skull Merchant's music is interesting, you got high-tech electronic sounds mixed with traditional drum beats, emphasizing her nature as a modern-day hunter who uses technology to track and pursue her prey. And her Terror Radius music is cool, it's hard and oppressive and meant to evoke the image of a persistent hunter. Everything about it is GOOD, until her chase music kicks in, which is where it goes WAY TOO HARD with EVERYTHING and becomes an incomprehensible audio mush.

If they could just dial down the intensity, it would be fine. Look at Oni, his music is hard and loud drums, but there's pacing to it so it doesn't overload your ears.

• popoles
    popoles Member Posts: 831
    edited March 2023

Nurse's soundtrack sounds like someone is banging on cookware lol.

• bobateo
    bobateo Member Posts: 368

Was about to say the same. There are others I don't like, but aren't teeth grating. Clown's chase music tho.... It just assaults my ears to the point where I groan anytime I see it's clown match and seriously consider throwing chases that last more than 1 pallet. Either that music loop needs to be lengthened significantly or a different segment needs to loop once he gets within a certain distance.

• Hi_Im_Chucky
    Hi_Im_Chucky Member Posts: 366

First day I put the SM just because her music was loud and too disruptive, gave me a headache. I gotta be healthy and hydrated before I play SM. Luckily it’s just background noise that I barely recognize now. I still wish it was more enjoyable chase music though, but music is too subjective to ask for changes. Probably my least favorite is Trickster, I’ll take washing machine over that, easy~

• CerealKillerPhD
    CerealKillerPhD Member Posts: 6

Agreed, I find the music untolerably LOUD and, hence, very annoying. I have a very hard time hearing survivors footsteps, grunts, and even boons.

• Snowflake_Syndrome
    Snowflake_Syndrome Member Posts: 239

I like the chase music on her, feel like I'm the only one though.