The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Got held hostage.

Just got done playing a match against a Deathslinger. At first he slugged for the 4k which is pretty typical nowdays and he patrolled near the body . Then when he saw i wasn't coming he hooked the guy and i tried to find the hatch. He found it first and instead of closing it to start the EGC he stood in it and waited for me to come to it. I then stood by the exit gate as many survivors usually do when this happens. This went on for at least 25 minutes essentially holding me hostage in a game he already WON just because he wanted extra points. I got tired and came to him and then he closed hatch and procedeed to slug me to death. I already did an ingame report and opened a support ticket. Does BHVR usually do anything in cases like this or do they just ignore it? No killer deserves a free kill and no survivor deserves a free escape but this is well beyond the point of normal gameplay. He could easily close hatch and come straight to the exit gate to catch me since there was only one exit gate which i could feasibly be in.

Comments

• ThatHairyGreek
    ThatHairyGreek Member Posts: 31

Technically i could but he would know where i was thanks to the gen popping. Maybe the better discussion would be if the EGC should be completely reworked i guess..

• ThatHairyGreek

Even if technically thats true this is something that should never happen. No wonder so many survivors DC if people legit play like that.

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013

Mm not really. If you did the furthest gens you'd have ample opportunity to hide and bypass him to get the hatch. You had multiple avenues.

• ThatHairyGreek

I guess it was a 50/50 yeah..Still people should not be allowed to do that kind of play but unfortunately thats something BHVR has control over.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,999

It just a standoff. I don't think u can say it was being held hostage. He didn't wanna risk the excape and u knew hatch wasn't possible to get so u stay at the gates. yall both did the best possible move u could

• TicTac
    TicTac Member Posts: 2,404

I had a similar thing with a legion. So i 99ed one gen and was 50% at the second, than he closed the hatch. I sneaked near an exit, looked when he was patrolling and opened the door (i had resilience).

Other problem i have is when gates are too close.

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013

Like i said. It's not pleasant play for sure. But not against the rules as written and you had options. Idk if you were exaggerating at all but I wouldnt mind an endgame like that. I'd have plentt of chance to get more bp doing gens chests and boons until killer started to actually play.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,743

It's not reportable but does suck. Letting you bleed out is cringe, but as others have pointed out you should go do a far gen and then get that last chase in.

• kingcarl2012
    kingcarl2012 Member Posts: 1,710

Simple solution, when the 2nd last survivor is dead start the endgame collapse like when hatch gets closed, and power the doors. Hatch will spawn closed and you can get a key from killer shack or the top of the basement stairs on maps that dont have shack, adjust door spawns to be more fair for both sides and make them spread out but not cross map and have a max range for spawning the doors and hatch from killer shack to shrink the endgame area and get rid of hatch aura effects to make for a fair short endgame.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,492

I disagree 25 minutes waiting to get one kill in my opinion is worst move you possibly can do. You just waste huge amount of time and instead you could played 2 games and got 4K:s and 200K bp+. Also it's very boring to wait 25 minutes and look around is survivor coming... Person with common sense would never do this unless he is myers with tombstone trying to get evil incarnate achiement.

• kingcarl2012

No a special chest spawns open at the same time hatch is spawned one guarenteed key so you dont have to go looking through other chests you obviously can if the killer is guarding that key but at that point it would probably be better to go for a door than make a play for that key or a randm shot in another chest

• SunsetSherbet
    SunsetSherbet Member Posts: 1,607

Hostage holding is not "It's hard for me to win/the killer won't let me win." It's "I literally have no option but to DC." Was it a total D-head move? Yes. But it isn't hostage holding. As you said, you went to him and he slugged you and the game eventually ended. Hostage holding is a situation where the game cannot end unless you DC. Which is pretty much just "Physically blocking a survivor in a corner."

I think the killer was a ass to do things like slug you to death, but at the same time, he doesn't owe anyone a good chance to escape at that point if he really really wants the 4k.

• LuthirFontaine
    LuthirFontaine Member Posts: 375

My brother don't complain about killer bm here. This is only a complaining about survivor bm board

• Zokenay
    Zokenay Member Posts: 1,158

99% all gens and them pop them one by one in seconds, to assert dominance.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

So it's ok for you not to give up but it's holding the game hostage for the killer not giving up? Yes, you could of done gens. In order for the killer to come to you they would have to leave the hatch or close it. Don't go crying victim because the killer wanted some extra points when you wanted to escape for extra points.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,436
    edited March 2023

That's not holding hostage, just a newer version of hatch standoff plus both of you being stubborn. The fact that the killer can bodyblock hatch and force the last survivor to finish all gens is extremely stupid.

Honestly the last survivor shouldn't have collision with the killer either, to prevent blocking someone in a corner with hatch still open.

Another solution is to make hatch close automatically after 60 seconds or so, and make hatch escapes count as a sacrifice for challenges and points and stuff for the killer, so there's 0 incentive to camp it.

• Nicholas
    Nicholas Member Posts: 1,951

I had one where the hatch was on a hill and The Killer could watch all three generators. So effectively I couldn't do anything. Fortunately I was running Wake-up and Spine Chill so was able to open the door after he decided to finally close the hatch.

Why doesn't the hatch automatically close after a period of time? That would eliminate these scenarios. Either the survivor escapes, The Killer closes hatch, or The Entity closes the hatch after 3 minutes? The devs seem to pretend to be so concerned about not wasting time and moving on to the next match, but they still leave things like this in place that serve no purpose.

• eastrock87
    eastrock87 Member Posts: 51

Does not sound to me like he did anything against the rules, and I don't even consider what you described to be 'hostage taking'. You had two options, either go do a generator, or go to him to surrender and die. This way, 25 minutes would not have had to pass, and the match would have ended much sooner

• fulltonon
    fulltonon Member Posts: 5,762

Or you could literally just let last survivor escape or die, either way it's more or less quicker and efficient.

• ThatHairyGreek

Lol he already got massive amounts of points from hooking and killing every survivor (no one gave up btw) while i got a paltry sum from generator completion and a bit of chasing. Plus he already WON the match (3k is a win as the devs stated) he was just salty that one survivor put on a red forest offering (not even a terrible map tbh if it was garden of joy id get it) so he purposely made the match as miserable as possible (thats what he stated).

• Deathstroke

Meanwhile if killer would closed hatch and killed the survivor and went to next matches he would earned 200K+ bp instead waiting 25+ minutes to get 1K bp...

• ThatHairyGreek

As many people pointed out its not a hostage situation BUT imo this is something that should be looked at. This goes well beyond the point of typical BMing such as teabagging and hitting on hook. I could understand if he went for the Evil incarnate achievement but the reason he gave me for doing it is because a survivor put on the red forest offering. Whats more he already won the match and he got a good amount of points. I dont think there can be any defence for this behavior and im a killer main that understands what its like being on the receiving end of BMing.

• kingcarl2012

Thats why hatch needs to be eliminated and the egc should start when the 2nd last survivor is dead.

• Mr_K
    edited March 2023

And if the survivor walks up to the killer they get a little bit more BP for the chase and move on to the next match.

People keep putting this all on the killer when it's both parties being greedy. Either one of them can end the match at any point.

• Deathstroke
    edited March 2023

It's 70% on killer and 30% on survivor. Killer would get 4K most likely even if he closed hatch so it's more on killer and 3K is already win even if the survivor manages to somehow escape.

• Mr_K

No it's 50/50. There are no thresholds that grants a killer a 4k or a survivor an escape.

3k? Why does the survivor deserve the win? Because they outlasted the others?

Accept death? Why does the killer deserve the 4k? Because the team failed?

It's called a stalemate because both sides choose to continue. They are both equally capable of ending it.

• Deathstroke

Killer is not entitled to 4K always with 100% chance. Not 50/50 as killer has more options and still great chance to get 4K just playing as intended and closing the hatch or look for the survivor. 80% of time when I close hatch I get the 4K anyway. Survivor just only get small chance to get invidual win/escape if killer closes the hatch. But in bigger picture killer still won the match.

• Mr_K

It's not about chance. The killer could leave the hatch open and down the survivor before they can reach it. The survivor could find a key and open a clised hatch. It's not about what could happen it is what is happening.

Both players enter into a stalemate willingly. Both players could give up at any time. Escape or kill is not guarantted but is what both parties want.

• Deathstroke

So survivor should just give killer free kill to get out of that situation. Is killer just entitled to 4K with 100% chance? Killer has multiple options in this situation whereas survivor does not have that much he can do the game is not 1vs1 with both sides equal power...They should just start EGC if killer is AFK blocking the hatch extended time that would fix this problem.

Only fix hatch need in my opinion that it should spawn like 10-20s later than now so it does not give free escape when killer slugged succesfully for 4K and the hatch spawned exactly under the last survivor or slugged survivor could be unable to escape through hatch.

• Deathstroke

Fair enough but I don't know who would not close the hatch as killer after waiting few minutes at most. And I think that is what your intended to do or get the last survivor before he finds hatch.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152
    edited March 2023

This isn't about what killer or survivor want or should do but what they are doing and that neither of them get to cry over wasted time due their opponents AND own greed.

• MrMori
    MrMori Member Posts: 1,436
    edited March 2023

Everyone wants this stuff looked at, along with waiting at gates after EGC has started, last 2 survs hiding while avoiding crows on a big map, killer bleeding out with no way to recover, bodyblocking survs till everyone but them escapes, bodyblocking the last survivor indefinitely, etc.

But nothing happens. How hard could it be to check for an active:

• Self pickup perk or Boon
    • Deliverance or Slippery Meat
    • Decisive Strike

And just sacrifice everyone if there's nothing to save everyone? No more bleeding out, at least it would be a lot harder. Fixing these issues would be incredibly simple, but they just never get addressed.

• Jangles
    Jangles Member Posts: 377

Remember the old hatch stand offs? The killer couldn't close it but could pull you out of it so you'd essentially play a game of who's the most stubborn and with DbD players these matches lasted a looooooooong time.

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

Had this happen to me recently. Dude stood there for 30 minutes. Maybe it isn't technically against the rules, but it is hella lame to just stand on hatch. Killers really be desperate for the 4k.

• kingcarl2012

And what did you do when you saw them standing on hatch, that was worth wasting 30 minutes of your time doing? You complain about the killer being desperate for the 4k while you are doing the same thing desperate to escape yourself.