The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Is blindness underrated?

Sonzaishinai
Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976
edited March 2023 in General Discussions

Blindness has always been considered the worst status effect and in the past i agreed with that.

The only aura reading it blocked by base was the slug and the hook aura, one easilly countered by swf and the other still giving the bubble to indicate where the hook is. Most durations were really short or tied to a hex and most survivors just didn't bring aura reading perks.

However in time i think this very sneakilly changed. Most sources of blind last quite a good while now and between Windows, Fogwise and the occational aftercare/bond it's not unusual for there to be numerous aura reading perks in the survivors loadout.

I've beginning to use blindness more and more now and there is a very notable difference between a windows user capability to loop when they are or aren't blinded.

To top it of slugging is now a much stronger tactic now that unbreakable has taken a backseat on the meta. Swf can still call it out but solo's get crippled.

What do you think? Is blindness still useless or are we stuck in the past and we really need to look at it again with fresh eyes

Comments

• AGM
    AGM Member Posts: 806
    edited March 2023

Still pretty useless. Blindness is at its strongest over an extended period of time where the killer can cause enough chaos to be able to take advantage of it. Anything that inflicts 90+ seconds of blindness or more is still not enough to make me sure that there isn't a better perk/add-on I could be running because you don't know if any survivors are in a SWF, which negates it entirely, or if they're even using aura perks and therefore being denied information.

For an albeit extreme example, take Freddy's blindness add-ons (which don't stack). What does inflicting any amount of blindness on a survivor he's currently chasing even do for him? Or on a survivor on the other side of the map disarming one of his snares?

If certain killers had an add-on that inflicted blindness indefinitely until they perform a certain action then it might be decent, but otherwise it's really bad.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

It is, Blindness is a very cool effect ! I used to play a lot with Third Seal, and it's so good at making survivors lose time. They might have a general idea from the bubble as to where the hooked person is, but will they remember it ? Especially if you're putting pressure on them ? My experience says, no they won't, or not before they've wasted a ton of time !

I stopped using it because it felt a little unfair towards solos, but I remember it fondly.

People don't tend to cleanse Third Seal too, because "blindness is fine, just push gen". =D

• Sonzaishinai
    Sonzaishinai Member Posts: 7,976

"What does inflicting any amount of blindness on a survivor he's currently chasing even do for him?"

Denying WoO which is really popular now, downing and slugging them means they can't see their teammate, add knockout and everyone is in the dark, if you leave them be they can't see you with fogwise, no finding people with bond to heal them up.

I'm not going to say blindness is secretly the strongest status effect in DbD but it does more then you'd think.

Take a look at the survivors loadout in your next 10 or so games and see how many perks you shut off for a time. I think you'd be surprised

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013

It could be good. Temporary blindness is kinda meh though. Third seal can be surprisingly effective just because it lasts for ages.

I've always been a fan of fearmonger though, it's kinda useful to make gen rushers lose some of that situational awareness. It'd be a better perk if more people ran fogwise.

Overall blindness is pretty niche. Most people can still find hooked survs from the sound bubble and slugged survs are unlikely to spend long enough hidden from allies to make a real difference.

• DBD78
    DBD78 Member Posts: 3,455

It's pretty good..against newbies. Otherwise it's weak

• Chocolate_Cosmos
    Chocolate_Cosmos Member Posts: 5,735

Since they buffed solo Survivors a lot (that's a good thing btw), Blindness is way less impactfull. It's probably the worst status effect you can put on Survivors since it doesn't do much.

• BlueHorkew
    BlueHorkew Member Posts: 1,081

I think blindness is in a good spot right now.

Its a very polarizing status effect, it's most basic effect makes it a slugging enabler while also affecting solos disproportionally compared to SWF.

Right now is in a ok spot. If it was buffed more i think it would be really annoying and toxic, so i am glad that it's kinda niche, most killers have easy to apply and long blindness effects while not being too overwhelming.

• Ἥφαιστος
    Ἥφαιστος Member Posts: 100

There is no need for blindness when SWF know exactly what everyone is doing. It should actually reduce your vision when you're affected by it.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333

We've had the concept of object permanence since we were toddlers. WoO doesn't give you any info you that you can't glean with your own eyes unless you're trying to keep track of used palettes. Which considering how there are so many more palettes these days it's hard to imagine running out of them before gens are done or everyone is dead.

If the justification of a status effect's efficacy is slugging scenarios then it sorta probably isn't really worthwhile. It's a status effect that is near useless against people who've been playing the game a long time regardless of skill level and marginally useful against people who are new to the game.

• ARTRA
    ARTRA Member Posts: 938

Yeah, windows is more common these days and sometimes fog.

I only use blind with knight 60 seconds after chase(addon) + fearmonger to perma blind.

Its not a strong effect but last very long. I think its kinda worth. But nothing more.

• Remedicist
    Remedicist Member Posts: 1,096

Currently, the only time I run a blindness status effect is when I use Plaything. Third Seal and Plaything are pretty good comboed together. It's also the only time I ever run Third Seal.

• kingcarl2012
    kingcarl2012 Member Posts: 1,710

Just a quick point historically speakinng prior to hemorrhage being buffed it most likely would have been considered the weakest status effect by quite a large margin, not blindness, it was probably number 2 back then.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,265

genuinely good against solo/duo survivors on indoor maps but very meh to bad in most other situations

• Carth
    Carth Member Posts: 1,182

It's only good vs players not on comms and inexperienced players. As your game knowledge and skills increase not being able to see auras matters less and less and becomes more of an extremely minor annoyance "omg my X perk got blocked..ugh...can anyone find that totem please?"