The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Visual Terror Radius and Spine Chill

With the new visual TR incoming, can we also remove the 36m indicator from spine chill? For those who don't know, the perk will light up anytime a killer is within 36m, even without LoS. Players can run to a pallet as soon as a killer approaches.

As a longtime ghostie player I feel like there's nothing that can be done other than go for other players, who might also be warned by the spine chill user or could be using the perk themselves. In my experience, 2 spinechills a match isn't uncommon.

At least make the perk only also light up when killer is within LoS, maybe increase the range/action speed to compensate for the change.

Comments

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,828
    edited March 2023

Hard agree. The indicator has two big problems:

1. It removes stealth players as a threat. The moment it lights up, you know the killer is near and have ample time to simply leave the area. Most stealth killers have to take their time on their stealthy approach, so it makes those stealth killers a non-threat.
    2. It gives pixel information on if the killer is approaching or not. The MOMENT the killer gives up chase, you can tell...even without looking back at the killer. The pixel perfect indicator on Spinechill gives MORE information to a survivor than what the Terror Radius does, as it's impossible to tell small fluctuations of the music getting slightly louder or quieter. You are guaranteed to know EXACTLY when you have distance on the killer or if the killer gives up chase without ever needing to look back to keep tabs on the killer.

The TR pixel perfect information needs to be removed from Spinechill once the new TR indicator goes live. The designers said themselves that it was supposed to be a temporary thing to give it to Spinechill while they worked on a solution. I hope they fulfill that statement that it was only temporary.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,169

Then...what would the perk even do? Lighting up to say "OI! The killer is in your area and is coming to stab you in the butt" is the entire point of the perks existence...

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,581

It can still light up when the killer is looking at you. That's still fairly useful information without completely invalidating stealth killers.

• rororoxor
    rororoxor Member Posts: 182

It could be made more fair, like what OP is suggesting. Look at it from the other side, where as killer you're forced to M1 chase with no power because someone with a perk completely shut you down.

• tippy2k2
    tippy2k2 Member Posts: 5,169

I thought that's it did only go off if the killer was looking in your direction but evidently it changed to 36m no matter what.

Then yes, I am on board with the LoS change (assuming the OP means just looking the survivors way, not that they physically have to see the survivor for Spine Chill to go off, the survivor having to be physically looked at before it goes off would make the perk virtually useless since most killers worth their salt keep stuff between them and the survivor on their way to a generator).

• Bwsted
    Bwsted Member Posts: 3,452

The 36m indicator is the intended effect of the perk.

The TR indicator was a temporary band-aid until an accessibility option was implemented.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,117

ironically, their visual indicator is going to buff soloq pretty hard on yoyoing generators as survivor that did not understand the heartbeat mechanic will now perfectly see visual exact precise indicator of the killer's position. When I am playing killer vs non-swf, I often get opening hits in places that I should not be getting hits in the opening chase.

Are killer just going to be running monitor&abuse so their heartbeat is not a complete sonar for the survivor? Wesker with his 40 meter TR is going to be funny with that change. lots of... shift-w... yay! At least they're shortening the gap between soloq and SWF with each of these small incremental changes.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,828

Oh, I agree. The new TR will be yet another survivor buff, so I'm hoping the glow is hard to at least discern minor distance shifts. For example, the current spinechill gives you pixel perfect information on if the killer is closer or farther. I'm hoping the glow will at least make it where you just notice more significant distance changes as opposed to inch by inch changes.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,117

i would assume its perfect pixel information because the feature is intended to be an accessibility feature for players that have hearing deficiency. its entirely based around replacing spine chill, well rather making spine chill effect base-kit. It would be strange if it was worse then manual hearing because your discriminating among hearing impaired. that would be very impolite to put it mildly.

• Gamedozer7
    Gamedozer7 Member Posts: 2,657

You can't always hear the TR right away between gen noise and on some maps the ambient noise it can take a bit to hear the TR. Plus SC still works on undetectable killer which have no TR and people with perfect hearing can't hear them coming so acceptability is not an argument on that part.

• the_ghost_man
    the_ghost_man Member Posts: 17