Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

Bot AI Request

Advorsus
Advorsus Member Posts: 1,033
edited April 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

Can we get an update to how bots AI works??

It's a little difficult to practice different killers and builds when half the stuff is useless, and it's very noticable stuff.

Totem locations: I've had lethal pursuer equipped and watched as the bots just took off immediately to go cleanse my totem that was in the corner of a completely different room halfway across the map. They just know where they are at all times/which ones are being used. I've brought stuff like devour and ruin, cleansed instantly. But if it's haunted they'll never cleanse it. So it just makes all totems pointless to try in practice builds.

Any Undetectable power/perk: no matter what they always know you're coming and where you're at. I've tried with wraith, Myers, ghostface, spirit, tinkerer, they always know, so again bringing any of those is pointless if you're trying to actually use their power/perk.

Any ranged or aiming attack: They react to the release of your input at instant speed. Meaning it doesn't matter how long you wait or hold it, they won't even try to dodge or move until you've released your input, and then they dodge instantly. This happens every time causing you to miss 90% of your power/attack. The only time they don't is mid animation like vaulting. So your only options when playing these killers is to either wait for them to vault something to use your power, corral them into a corner when you're right on top of them to where they can't move, or just M1 all game. None of which give you any actual practice. This happens with nurse blinks, blight rush, billy's chainsaw, clown, pyramid head, pinhead, plague, deathslinger, huntress, trickster, Wesker, and doctor and even charged attacks. So half your killers you can't actually practice with.

I think the tracking system they use for bot knowledge needs to be changed, because it doesn't make sense for them to just automatically know where all my totems are, or where every pallet/window is from the start of the game, or where I'm at at all times regardless of perks or powers.

The input tracking for instant dodging is definitely needs to be revamped. The whole point of bots is to practice your power. But you can't really do that currently due to the auto dodge mechanic they have built in. I can guarantee you that most huntress players best shots and skills don't come from simply waiting for survivors to be mid animation to throw a hatchet. A big part of learning a killer's power and the game is decision making, and you can't really get even a small idea of the actual choices you should make because you have to play towards the bots auto mechanics.

I've even tested it out on huntress with lethal pursuer, beginning of the match, see the survivors, tossed a long range hatchet and watched as the bot auto dodged it. It just simply doesn't make sense. I don't know how to fix it, maybe a built in probability time that gives the bots a varying chance to dodge something based upon the current situation it's in. Idk, but I really wish they'd change the AI completely for it

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• MrSheep51
    MrSheep51 Member Posts: 91

you forgot the horror that is giving them flashlights

• KingFieldShipper
    KingFieldShipper Member Posts: 612
    edited April 2023

Their dodging AI is essentially how Zelda II enemies work because it tracks your input and knows where to safely move to.

It definitely needs to go because when you are against real survivors that dodge you typically have to read their jukes, but you can't do that with the bots, it's a very unrealistic experience for sure.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,360

I think the bots are really impressive. Defininitely flawed but I was expecting them to far worse than they actually are. You are completely right about their reactions though. I wanted to practice Nemesis with bots and soon realised they did exactly what you described and simply moved out of the way as soon as I attacked.

I'm not to bothered about their inability to cope with certain perks though. The effort getting bots to randomly search for totems might be more effort than is worthwhile. But I would hope you could effectively play as someone like Ghostface without them simply knowing where you are.

• LeFreezy
    LeFreezy Member Posts: 228

I once gave them 4 flashlights + iri bulb/purp lens and it was painful to watch xD

• xerox8521
    xerox8521 Member Posts: 112

Making an impossible skill check doctor also doesn't influence them in anyway. They will NOT miss any skill checks at all.

• Advorsus
    Advorsus Member Posts: 1,033

I definitely agree with all of these, including being impressed by them. I enjoy having them and I'm thankful for it, they just need some tweaks to the AI is all. Naturally I don't expect them to ever be like actual people, but you simply don't benefit from using them currently as you don't actually get to practice certain powers.

• not_requested49
    not_requested49 Member Posts: 1,979

I've seen then miss some skillchecks, but I don't think it's influenced by how hard the skillchecks are at all