Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

How do people enjoy going against Demogorgon?

Seriously, this killer is one of the most unfun to go against in the entire game. Insanely good zoning that you can do next to nothing about, and thanks to his portals, he's one of the best 3-gen killers in the entire game, if not THE best, because being able to teleport wherever he wants means he gets to 3-gen any 3 gens he wants, even if they're on opposite sides of the map. Not to mention, holding shred out means he can see survivors near active portals (or they just get passively revealed if you're running Lifeguard Whistle), so it's basically Skull Merchant if she could teleport to her drones when they detect someone, AND with one of the strongest zoning tools in the game on top of that.

Miserable to loop, miserable to do gens against. Demogorgon is miserable to face. It BAFFLES me that so many people love him so much.

Comments

• Remedicist
    Remedicist Member Posts: 1,096

I don't like facing the zoning Demogorgons. The ones that use STBFL and fake using the shred to zone you from a loop and m1 you. That is boring to face against, especially since holding the shred doesn't immediately slow them down so it makes the zoning easier. However, the Demogorgons that use their shred proficiently are very fun to go against in chase.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,169

For me, he's as balanced a killer as there is in this game. He has decent map pressure and attack abilities without being oppressive. The portals can be dismantled pretty easily, so if I suspect a portal is nearby I will dismantle it after taking time to find it. His shred has some mindgames but is not impossible to dodge.

• LiveBritishReaction
    LiveBritishReaction Member Posts: 427

If you try to cleanse the portal, Demogorgon will see you doing it, and unless he flew across the entire map, there is no way he won't be able to just walk back to you and smite you down. Plus, that time you spend doing a portal, which is a good while, is time you spend not doing the gen, so he's still getting good stall.

As for baiting Shred—if you start juking to the side instead of running away from him, his movement speed is fast enough that he'll just catch up and hit you point blank, especially if he's running Rat Liver. And if his mechanical skill is so poor that doing even that is too hard, then he'll just exit Shred and hit you normally. That's what makes him a good zoning killer. Same with Pyramid Head or Deathslinger. He doesn't get punished for not committing to a Shred mindgame... well, ever, really.

• LiveBritishReaction

I'll take Meme Merchant over Demo any day of the week lol. She does one thing, she doesn't do it well, and Demo does it better.

• CorvusCorax86
    CorvusCorax86 Member Posts: 1,064

I love facing him because he is a rarity. This also means that I assume Demo mains use him or players who've been playing DbD for several years now. For me Demo is just as odd as Wesker: I hate and love being chased by them due to the great music themes they have.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,205

I mean, you can make up excuses for dying to Trapper as well but...

• LiveBritishReaction

What a fantastic, well-constructed, insightful counterpoint.

• Marc_123
    Marc_123 Member Posts: 3,529

Demos are pretty rare these days.

If you get a really good one he can be very scary. But the usual ones are not the hardest.

... i still hope we get ST back some day.

• LiveBritishReaction

Pocket portals are an easy strat to pull, especially since he won't need all 6 portals in most situations. Just because he's not Blight doesn't mean he doesn't have great mobility.

And Shred's reduced movement speed, again, is zilch. It has such little uptime and is barely slower than a running survivor. You can just feather your Shred for free zoning and literally not even receive a movespeed penalty. There are several killers that have much, MUCH more cumbersome movement speed penalties and are still fantastic zoners. Demogorgon is a zoner, and a very strong one, movement speed penalty be damned.

• squbax
    squbax Member Posts: 1,440

You have 3 portals on 3 generators for a 3 gen, you have 3 pocket portals that once placed wont be cleansed if survivors are not AI, so you can effectively use a pocket portal 3 times in your 3 gen.

Regarding zoning demos shred attack is a way easier attack to avoid than say nemesis tentacle which is subjected to strafe tech or pyramid head with flicks, you can bait demo incredibly easy or put object inbetween to make him collide.

He can zone all he wants but if you have good routing you can absolutely be sure that shred wont present a thread to you.

But alas this discussion wont get anywhere, I cannot convince you a killer you deemed something already is not that thing, and as such you cannot also convince the makority of players that a killer that is widely consider to be mid at best is anything else.

• LiveBritishReaction

You could also place the 3 portals in a somewhat smart location so they're not out of reach once used. Is it really that hard?

As for dodging Shred, do you know how zoning works? I've said it before and I'll say it again, the reason Demogorgon is so good at zoning is if you try to juke his Shred, he receives no punishment for just exiting it and hitting you with an M1. That's why Pyramid Head is good at zoning, that's why Nemesis is good at zoning, that's why Deathslinger is good at zoning, and that's why Demogorgon is good at zoning.

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,291
    edited May 2023

I love playing against Demogorgon players who know how to hug walls and hit those tight angles. I do admit I hate playing against this killer when they essentially do the equivalent of a backrev on Billy or Huntress Hatchet throw all game. It's just a lack of the killers true potential and it's boring. Some addons suck too but that's typically when it's an experienced Demo player.

Demo is one of those killers that if the player is good it can be one of the most fun games you have alongside a good Wesker or Hillbilly who know how to land their power and don't rely on M1's. Even more so when the player avoids M1's and prioritizes using their power.

• AssortedSorting
    AssortedSorting Member Posts: 1,079

Fair enough. Never played as the Demo, only against him (and I don't play enough Survivor to play at too high of an MMR), just that it seems like it's a commitment from a Survivor perspective.

• AverageKateMain
    AverageKateMain Member Posts: 949

I get the example you're going for but it doesn't really compare well since Demo has more to his kit that was talked about besides Trapper. A better example would be Pinhead

• TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,436

Game mechanics have left poor Demo further behind than Netflix has left having good value behind. The only issue I see cropping up is that newer players can't get Demo and can't learn how Demo's mechanics work.

That might be the case here; while I wouldn't put Demo at Freddy or Trapper level Demo doesn't fare well in today's DbD.

• AverageKateMain
    AverageKateMain Member Posts: 949

The only 1 annoying thing about him is zoning but he has to commit for a shred while other killers who are ranged don't have to do too much like demo. He's a fair killer

• LiveBritishReaction

In what way does he have to commit? He gets little to no slowdown and ever since Deathslinger's ADS nerf, Shred is the only zoning power that you can just tap and feather. Every single other ranged killer is much slower on the draw and requires much more commitment and better positioning.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,582

A killer that has some form of anti-loop that requires mind games and game knowledge and yet has sufficient counterplay, a secondary ability that allows him to get into chases quicker but can be dealt with pretty easily for the most part and visual and audible clues to everything the killer does?

What an absolutely horrible killer. I would much rather play an interesting 45 minutes 3 gen game against Knight or Dull Merchant. That's so much more exciting.

• Phantom_
    Phantom_ Member Posts: 1,327

I honestly love going against him bevause of his unique-ness and ofc because he is from Stranger Things.

His zoning powers aren't greater than that of Nemises. Neither is its hitbox any larger than Huntress/Wesker's. I think it just gets some getting used to on how to precisely counter him. But it definitely is possible, it's just that not many players play him anymore these days, so people forgot how to.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,437

He's full of it, it literally is a commitment because charging the shred makes you move slower than a survivor unless he uses an addon that makes him move at exactly the same speed as a survivor. Missing a shred is also punishing as well and the survivor will gain more distance depending on the circumstances.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 6,016

The hotboxes make me cry like it always feel like it shouldn't hit, but it's worth it to hear sad demo screech when stunning her

• LiveBritishReaction

Moving less than 4 percent slower than a running survivor for a length of time whose frames are countable on one hand is a commitment?

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,173
    edited May 2023

I think OP post is kinda like Knight complaint threads. Demo is zoning based killer and just like Knight who is also zoning based with his units, some people hate zoning based killers because there are situations where zoning hits are unavoidable. Its basically lack of counter-play. He's also kinda 3 gen based because of his portals. they're like mobility traps. I am sure 3 gen skull merchant has developed some strong opinions.....about this gameplay. Overall, his post is just complaining 1vs1 zoning and how he cannot loop killer for 5 gens which is same hate that knight gets with his zoning units and knight's 3 gen which is not even that strong to begin in my opinion.

• AverageAshEnjoyer
    AverageAshEnjoyer Member Posts: 427
    edited May 2023

if you hate demogorgon then i dont know what killers you do like going against

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 5,423

He's probably the killer I do the most well against, but then I play him myself sometimes which helps obviously.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,265

yea he can zone you pretty hard sometimes but compared to a lot of killers he's really that not bad. I don't understand ppl saying that he's their fav to play against but he's 100% far from the worse imo

• Reinami

Try playing nurse for a bit, and just spend a few seconds chasing a survivor without using your power, and you'll realize how much slower 4% actually is.

• Solo_Queue_is_Hell
    Solo_Queue_is_Hell Member Posts: 20

L2P issue from your part. Nothing wrong with demo.

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013

Demo is fine. Don't be mean to my boi.

• 1ettuce
    1ettuce Member Posts: 1,141

My entire argument when someone says "this is like lying"

• Anti051
    Anti051 Member Posts: 616
    edited May 2023

What baffles me is how many of you guys think you're supposed to feel like a kid in a candy store when the bloodthirsty monster is hecking after your ass to make you die.

• AddingAUsername
    AddingAUsername Alpha Surveyor Posts: 20

Hmm demo op? Try playing as the poor guy! If only he was as good as you were talking about lmao...

• Ghoste
    Ghoste Member Posts: 2,135

Because Demo is a good boi. How dare you speak bad about the doggo.

• LiveBritishReaction

Right, because playing as a killer who constantly moves slower than survivors vs. a regular 115 killer who only enters that speed for less than half a second is totally comparable.

• Reinami

Its more than that, the charge time is a second, and you aren't going to launch it literally at a second, because it is super super telegraphed, so you'll need to hold it for at least 2 maybe 3 seconds to see what the survivor is doing (unless you know they vaulted or you are trying to make a read on a pallet like shack or something).

The charge doesn't happen in a vacuum, you aren't charging for the minimum time exactly every single time. I generally need to hold the charge for at least 2-3 seconds to bait the survivor into doing something, or to cancel it. During which time they likely had time to round a corner if i guess wrong.

My point wasn't to compare the killers, my point was for you to see exactly how slow 4% slower than survivors really is. And playing nurse is the easiest way to do it, since i'm assuming you don't have demo otherwise you wouldn't be making such a thread about probably the most balanced killer in the game.

• LiveBritishReaction

It takes 0.65 seconds to hit minimum charge and 1 second to hit maximum, and you don't start slowing down until you hit minimum charge. If you're actively holding it to bait something out, then you're either zoning and will only need to hold it long enough to get the bait you want of not vaulting a window or not dropping a pallet, which takes like half a second of holding out Shred at most, or the survivor is actively juking, and at 96.25% movement speed, doing anything other than running in a straight line directly away from you means you're getting free distance.

Outside of that, there really is no reason you should be holding it for any considerable length of time. If you're actually going for a shot, you should be making a prediction to how the survivor will react rather than holding it for so long, and while that does have some skill, compared to most ranged attacks in this game the prediction is a pretty basic toss-up with a very forgiving hitbox.

Let's use shack as an example. Shack is the go-to hypothetical. You're at the door where there isn't a pallet, and the survivor is running towards the window. You pull out your Shred. Either the survivor vaults the window and gets Shredded because of animation lock, or they juke into you, and you just exit Shred and M1 them. If they run towards the pallet, if they do anything other than predrop the pallet, it's the same story, and even then Shred breaks pallets very quickly so you lose only a small amount of distance, especially if you have Barb's Glasses equipped.

Shred is a very strong and easy to use zoning tool. And putting all this aside, even if the reduction in movement truly were all that bad, Rat Liver is a brown addon that can be run every single game without issue and completely nullifies the distance loss argument.

• Reinami

examine yourself. Why are you complaining about demo, when nurse and blight and SWF exist. Priorities

• LiveBritishReaction

Examine yourself. Do you have any more of an argument beyond fallacious whataboutism?