The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

If you think tunneling and camping are toxic...

Monlyth
Monlyth Member Posts: 982
edited July 7 in General Discussions

...Then be the change you want to see. Do not teabag, do not emote at the Killer, do not BM, at all. Especially not when the Killer is playing nice.

When a team of Survivors escape, it is almost guaranteed that at least one of them will teabag if I go to the exit gates. And many will wait out the EGC timer if you don't chase them out, too. This happens remarkably consistently; it's seemingly never enough for Survivors to take their W and move on, someone's always got to rub it in the Killer's face first.

And then those same Survivors will often get mad at you when you respond in kind. Ignoring that tunneling and camping are viable strategies that see regular use in comp play, Killers play mean because... what do they get out it if they play nice? More teabags at the exit gates?

And to you, sure, teabagging is just this once and doesn't tangibly do anything, so you might see it as harmless and have trouble seeing how it might negatively impact others. But for the Killer, it's not just this once. It's every match, and it's hard not to take it personally when BM is the rule and not the exception, when seemingly every Survivor you meet sees fit to kick you when you're down.

And sure, maybe not everyone who teabags at the exit gates means it maliciously, but if something is considered to be toxic near-universally by the Killer community, I think it's time to get a different signal if you're trying to be friendly. Might I suggest nodding? Or the old classic: If you can't say anything nice to someone, don't say anything.

Post edited by EQWashu on

Comments

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,409

Love these threads. If we took out all the BM, Dbd wouldn't be dbd anymore. Literally makes it more competitive. Sometimes itll aggravate you to play a lil harder, maybe even scummy. Truly horrific as the game intends.

Man I hate camping. But man if it went away, games would get pretty stale. You really want to take face camping Bubba away from us?

Really really?

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,409

Come now. We cant have an actual explanation that makes sense because it will ruin the BMing and such. My immersion!

We're entitled to that! Its difficult to hit the ctrl button real fast. Have you tried it?! Crazy hard.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,834

I mean they aren’t really analogous (teabagging/pointing and camping/tunneling) because two are annoying but the others technically prevent game play. But I understand that your point is both are frustrating to experience.

• Dogma_loki
    Dogma_loki Member Posts: 436

Sorry to blow up your thread with a harsh dose of reality but I never do any of those things that make killers so angry and I still get tunneled and camped. So ya.......

• Nebula
    Nebula Member Posts: 1,396

Tbagging is only toxic if you let it be. It’s your choice whether or not to get upset about it. It’s a much healthier mentality to accept that some people will try to BM no matter what and just move on with your day. It has no effect on gameplay whatsoever.

• HugTheHag
    HugTheHag Member Posts: 3,140

Already doing that , and in both roles ! =)

I do find it's easier to set the mood of the game as killer, because there's a lot of silly things you can do to show that you're going in chill and are not going to tunnel or be toxic, and most times my survivors respond in kind.

As survivor, you can just.. not be toxic, and often that's not enough. Especially since one (1) person being toxic on your team, that you might not have chosen to play with, will inevitably bundle you into a "toxic SWF" mental image and mean you'll get BMed even if you didn't do anything.

I personally don't respond in kind with toxicity if I see a killer or a survivor being stinky stinkers, because I don't want to feed the cycle.

If we want players in general to be more positive and see less BM in game, regardless of the role, the change can't be expected to come from only one side. People have to be more positive and less salty and get rid of that chip on their shoulder.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941

Why take it out on the the next set survivors because someone last game t-bagged you? Is that your idea of fairness? Do bullied people somehow gain the right to be bullies to others and no one has to complain? You might not even participate in that type of behavior, but there are killers who try to justify their behavior for taking out their anger on random survivors because they got bullied by a SWF yesterday.

Tunneling also gives advantage but there are people who get tilted and tunnel the guy who is being annoying to them even if it means they lose the game. So in that context tunneling is not used to progress the game in any way, it's used as a toxic tool as well. Face camping can be the same, defending that shows your bias, because many times choosing those actions means throwing the game. It doesn't mean achieving two goals with one strategy (showing your bully survivor who is the boss AND winning your game).

There are many people who are power-tripping whether they are playing one role or the other. You don't have to justify either of them because you play killer/survivor and are biased. I also find it in bad taste when survivors on my team flame the killer in end game and it's obvious they are a beginner or something, but I also find it silly and self-centered when killers bleed you out for whatever reason they thought you offended them.

Sometimes there's just no explanation other than "they can" for why people are ######### in games. It doesn't mean they have been victimized or they are victimized still.

Yesterday I played against Twins and I t-bagged Victor once near end game. Should the killer if he was able to down me left me to bleed out for 4 mins over that one t-bag that wasn't even pointed at the player behind the screen but more so the killer himself? Should a killer who hit you once on the hook be verbally abused at end chat by the survivors or something? Wouldn't that sound like an overreaction to you?

• Saiph
    Saiph Member Posts: 310

You've got it backwards. Teabagging interferes with you emotionally, but it doesn't make you lose anything in-game.

You can still play with the remaining survivors, you still get BPs based on your performance, and you've still played a normal game of DBD.

In contrast, facecamping literally prevents somebody else from playing the game, and will ensure they've wasted their time, just because the killer decided so.

Imagine if everytime a survivor teabags at the exit gates you as killer instantly got kicked out of the game with only 5k BPs.

• Nebula

Where does it end? You take away the survivors ability to tbag and they’ll just find other ways to piss you off. Play against bots if it truly bothers you that much.

• Nebula

Where does it end? You take away the survivors ability to tbag and they’ll just find other ways to piss you off. Play against bots if it truly bothers you that much.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

I don't do these things already. Hasn't seemed to help.

• Sylhiri
    Sylhiri Member Posts: 178

Like tunneling, teabagging needs a gameplay incentive so people can defend it by saying they use it because they want to win.

I suggest gaining a token that increases gen speeds by 10% everytime you teabag in the killers TR while in line of sight. Cooldown is 60 seconds and you lose the tokens when hooked.

• icedrake402
    icedrake402 Member Posts: 145

I never said I take it out on the next set of survivors, that was all your fevered imagination. All I said was that sometimes, tunnelling does confer some advantages (ie, the other survivors try for rescues instead of just banging gens and leaving) even if it is still scummy and unfun for the person on the other end, and REALLY needs some serious attempts to disincentivise it.

Yes, there are toxic killers too, beyond a doubt. Ran into quite a few of them. Thing is, I'm fairly sure the vast majority of people who are toxic from either camp think of it as "just getting revenge", because at some point in the past they loaded in for a chill and fun horror game, then got subjected to anti-fun tactics and dbaggery. So then they take it out in their next game, and create the next generation of us-v-themming, "see how you like it" toxic players.

Why not break the cycle?

• icedrake402
    icedrake402 Member Posts: 145

I said why in the post you replied to. In my 100% subjective personal experience...if I get face camped, then I can punch out early and get into a new game. Get a SWF command team as killer, the sort that's obviously hopeless two minutes in, and I'm stuck until the endgame timer has 3 seconds left, because it's just so important to mock and taunt from a position of total safety.

(Would really like to see "knocked out of the gate" removed from the game, it advantages nobody except toxic players.)

Of course, it doesn't really matter if one experience is objectively 10% worse than the other, because they both suck. We'd all prefer it nobody did that to us, and maybe we should decide "hey, even if that kindness is never visibly reciprocated, let's not do it to others".

• Dogma_loki
    Dogma_loki Member Posts: 436

Tea bagging has been part of PVP gaming ever since I have been playing them.

Leave it to the DBD community to throw massive hissy fits about it and threaten to ruin anyones match that does it to them.

😂😂😂

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941
  • MrPenguin
    MrPenguin Member Posts: 2,425

While yes this is true and I agree.

Camping and tunneling are also the fastest way for the killer to win the game. So yes survivors should stop with the childish BM, they also need to understand that killers are slowing their gameplay down considerably by playing "nice" and should also do the same.

That way, the killer still gets a fair chance to win and isn't being punished by being nice by the same people they're being nice to.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,133

The two aren't linked. Some killers will tunnel or camp without any provocation. Some survivors will BM at the exit without provocation. It's a chicken-and-egg scenario.

These things are done for any number of reasons and other than the grey area of teabagging at a gate, if a survivor emotes or teabags during a game then it's clearly a tactic.

All individuals have responsibility to "be the change you want to see".

• Ecstasy
    Ecstasy Member Posts: 426

The dance to normalize teabagging is so ######### ridiculous. If you want to hurt people, just own it.

The medium is abstract, but the sentiment sure isn't. Mocking. Taunting. With the essence of "I'm better than you & there's nothing you can do", that's "HAHA YOU SUCK LOSER"

If that's what you want, okay, cool.

If it's not what you're actually meaning, maybe don't ######### do it?

Hiding behind hypothetical ambiguity and "I don't mean it so harshly" is just cowardly. People interpret based on the context at large, which means the impact is exactly the same as if you had meant it, and I assure you the gesture of symbolically rubbing your genitals on someone's face is not a token of respect and equality.

Stop deluding yourself about it being a "them" problem how the specific stuff you're doing to intentionally annoy and degrade people ends up mysteriously leaving them feeling belittled and angry.

• Pluto_1
    Pluto_1 Member Posts: 337

You're in the minority. Personally teabagging doesn't bother me in the least bit. I main Ghostface so I just teabag back. Big deal, it's a game. That being said, I also play to win so if that involves tunneling and camping then so be it. If I have two of you on basement hooks then you can bet your teabags that I'm not letting either of you out if I can stop it.

• Hawk81584
    Hawk81584 Member Posts: 405

not the teabag...sheesh. i choose not to let them bother me. they literally mean nothing to me

• Sometimes_Sage
    Sometimes_Sage Member Posts: 144

Honestly, what world are some of you living in?

Players who play for efficiency even if it ruins someone elses experience are monsters, but players who go out of their way to ruin other players experience just because are doing nothing wrong? What?

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 5,162

"I only waited at the exit gate for the whole 2mins, because I wanted to give you some more BP and a free hit. Pinky promise."

• Jeromy137
    Jeromy137 Member Posts: 348

The crouching mid loops really depends on who the killer is for the bm vs not bm.

Example going against huntress or some of the other ranged killers where if you crouch at the right time you can make the killer miss the hit that isn't BM but more of a dodge.

While going against a killer who is without range and doing it while they can see you but a decent distance away that can usually be a BM but not always one

Then there is the crouching to try to confuse the killer and sneak away that isn't BM just a tactical retreat

I'm not one to do the BM tbag/crouch I'm usually using tbag/crouch for thank yous or hey mind healing me and if I do it around a killer it is usually for dodging or trying to get their attention for something that isn't meant for BM

• miniwengsel
    miniwengsel Member Posts: 385

You get the point where they teabag AT THE EXITGATE. What means they are save from everything. One the flip side you could say tunneling is the save way to prevent teabags.

• miniwengsel

You get yourself more points for that and steal points from the killers ranking, because if he hits and you escape he has lost a chase which maybe results in a minus pip.

• Ariel_Starshine
    Ariel_Starshine Member Posts: 937

I honestly don't ever BM the killer at all, or bully them. I just try to escape cases or survivor, do gens and always leave asap.

Howeber the tunneling and such always happens. I've learned to laugh it off and move onto the next round. :)

• KingFieldShipper
    KingFieldShipper Member Posts: 612

You are missing the point where the OP and others including yourself, are trying to justify camping and tunnelling because of these tbags though regardless of where they take place in the match, yes? By the way, in which neither of those things are toxic, and tbags aren't either and people should play however they want.

I stand by what I said, this is a generic bait/us vs them post that has been posted to death on these forums, reddit, twitter, etc, and to be honest they are incredibly tiring and repetitive in which the entire premise of any of these posts are based on a strawman and genericized and hyperbolic survivor (or killer, depending on who is making the bait/us vs them threads) behavior that half of the time I can't tell if people actually care or if they are just looking to rile people up or make themselves mad.

• miniwengsel

true. people should play how they want and true teabags and stuff like that isnt toxic. (the toxic part begins in the engame chat if it get taken out of the game)

I just want to show you, that you cant say I can do this, because he does this. If you want to tunnel feel free to do that if you want to teabag at the exitgate do that, but if you do first dont expect the other side to be nice about it and dont expect theyour next killer/survivors to be nice to you. If you do one thing of these two you just put an other piece to the infinite vicious circle.

This discussion has been closed.