Killer Face Camping Change is a BUFF to killers.

Options
Kirarozu
Kirarozu Member Posts: 240
edited May 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

Great. I can now unhook myself. That's just gonna give the killer more incentive to face camp. Now they just wait out the endurance and down me and hook me again. Unless Endurance lasts longer nothing will change. If anything this is just going to make the hook states go by faster.

If y'all can't see how this is just going to increase tunneling then there is no hope for anyone.

Post edited by Kirarozu on

Comments

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 5,995
    Options

Honestly maybe, but maybe not. if a survivor "kobes" i can get a tunnel faster lol

• sanees
    sanees Member Posts: 518
    Options

I can't even imagine how the "escape any second" button makes killers stronger

this is literally a killer nerf, what's next?

bhvr removes the abilities of all killers and you shout that this is a killer buff and need delete m1?

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 8,983
    Options

We don't even know the values of how fast it charges up or the range.

• mca240
    mca240 Member Posts: 456
    Options

Shall we wait to see, how these changes will play out in a PTB? And then offer feedback so they can adjust? It has just been announced. I am just happy they are actually tackling face camping.

• H2H
    H2H Member Posts: 657
    Options

lmao yes please give survivors more free escapes, amazing amazing

• Kirarozu
    Options

Camping killers will just down you and rehook you. How do you not see that?

• sanees
    sanees Member Posts: 518
    edited May 2023
    Options

you have protected status, hit + 10s haste allows you to run over half the map + you have window pallets and body blocks of your comrades

And in any case, the ability to escape at any time does not make the killers stronger.

• Mat_Sella
    Mat_Sella Member Posts: 3,545
    Options

Because three survivors now can rest assured they can work on a gen for free and then finish the last two knowing you can get off again. Guaranteeing that all 5 gens and an exit gate are open means max one kill for the killer assuming they are literal Face Camping.

Explain how this is a nerf in situations where no one would want to get you at all?

• Veroles
    Veroles Member Posts: 868
    Options

That would be something new if people started testing something before giving feedback :).

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,063
    edited May 2023
    Options

I hope the penalty radius for this mechanic takes into account ranged killers like Huntress and Trickster, who can camp just outside the radius and still deny or easily hook trade any rescuers.

Killers that can "camp from a distance," like Nurse, Hag, Hillbilly (and Oni to a degree), are another thing for the devs to consider.

Ghostface and Shape could possibly stalk and expose the rescuer from outside the penalty radius, but is that considered face camping at that point?

----

Another thing is killer powers. What's the point of self-unhook if Cannibal can chew through endurance as soon as you unhook yourself?

When the meter fills up and the survivor unhooks themself, the penalty mechanic should also disable the killer's power for a brief duration, in my opinion.

• kisfenkin
    kisfenkin Member Posts: 613
    Options

Yes, this is a camping buff. This idea was not thought all the way through.

Here is how to fix the idea! Give the survivor another hook state if they have to unhook themselves using this method. In that situation the survivor being tunneled off first hook would still be on first hook and the killer will gain nothing for camping. Also, if there is a survivor near the hook pause the progress of this feature completely.

CAMPING WAS NEVER THE ISSUE! The problem was the loss of a hook state and/or the tunneling that followed being camped. If this goes live the way BHVR suggested killers have even more incentive to face camp, NOT LESS! There goal was always to get a second phase/kill out of the face camp, and the self unhook pretty much guarantees that even easier than it is now.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 8,983
    Options

Another thing is mult-level maps, because distance calculations in dbd never factor height.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,104
    edited May 2023
    Options

I'd love to be positively surprised during PTB... but I'm fairly sure I won't be.

If anything I see one big result: camping killers at high MMR will just not be a thing; the survivor strat that will become common knowledge from some point on is to just do gens once you know it's a camping killer. The camped will unhook themseles and will, at that point, usually be good enough to buy enough time for the other three to escape. Camping killers will consistently lose MMR until they get to a place where a self-unhooked surivor is two tapped within ten seconds and the remainign survs don't stick gens with max efficiency. --- This of course means that SoloQ is going to be even more of a hellscape and MMR-hell will be the default for SoloQ players who aren't high MMR yet anyway.

• Kirarozu
    Options

They kill you faster now. You unhook rather than waiting the full hook state. They can now tunnel you out FASTER.

• Slaphappyhobbit
    Slaphappyhobbit Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2023
    Options
    Post edited by Slaphappyhobbit on
  • kisfenkin
    Options

You just misread what was said. The pause I suggested was to the self unhook feature they are talking about adding. Pausing that progress...

• Vhillain
    Vhillain Member Posts: 123
    Options

"Buff to camping" But why do killers camp? They camp because it gives them pressure - it either gets a survivor out of the game, or forces a trade, or multiple people to come rescue to secure a safe unhook meaning 3+ survivors have no gen pressure.

By making it so the survivor can unhook themselves the killer will only have pressure on the one survivor even if they choose to tunnel them, but why would they do that? The survivor can wait out until almost second stage, or wait until almost dead, unhook themselves, and the killer just wasted 1-2 minutes letting three other people do generators for free. Killers hate being genrushed so the only reason to facecamp after this change would be a vendetta against that single person/toxicity, no longer a valid strategy to achieve pressure and potentially win the game. This change does not incentivize camping/tunneling, it is a solution. Y'all whine about literally everything and wonder why bhvr struggles to find solutions to the problems.

If you're so worried about being tunneled following this change, run off the record and use your speed boost to make it to a safer area.

• kisfenkin
    Options

Your question can be summarized as, 'Why do killers camp?' and the answer is simple, it works. If you don't think it works you are quite simply factually wrong. It would work even better if the survivor can unhook themselves. How would it be worse for the killer than another survivor unhooking right in front of them? This feature will provide a potentially faster cycle through hook stages if the hooked survivor uses the self unhook, and if they don't self unhook the stages will work the same way they always have. Which we have already established is exactly what the camping killer wanted...

Therefore it is clearly, without a shadow of a doubt, a buff to camping.

• Vhillain
    Options

My thoughts exactly, I also read this comment sideways wondering why they'd unhook themselves immediately with the killer in their face, that's just suboptimal/stupid gameplay and absolutely should be punished. When I run Deliverance I am either waiting 59 seconds if camped, or using it when the killer is quite a while away to ensure that if they wanted to tunnel they now lost a significant amount of time/distance to do so.

I get the feeling a lot of people on these forums simply are not smart players and always want to whine about something instead of understanding they may not be that great at this game

• AMOGUS
    AMOGUS Member Posts: 482
    Options

They mentioned in stream that this mechanic is disabled in EGC, just like DS and OTR.

The bigger issue to this is that certain Killers like Bubba specialize in eating through Endurance, specifically. Although, if the hooked Survivor can control when they are unhooked and it's not automatic when the gauge is filled, they can just wait until last second, and then unhook... twice, if the Killer camps again.

The time adds up, especially since Sprint Burst is now used frequently again and that will secure basement escapes. Hell, if anything, Sprint Burst will be used as anti-camp now in combination with this mechanic.

• Kirarozu
    Options

Maybe stop defending camping killers. And I am the kind of survivor who doesn't kill myself on hook. Stop being so negative. This is not going to change anything for the game. We're just going to get camped and tunneled out faster. You acting like its some big help to just stay camped isn't the solution either.

• Kirarozu
    Options
  • Vhillain
    Options

Sorry, you are just plain wrong. I have already explained in detail how this is completely a nerf and you've twisted it ignoring all of my points and not thinking with a minimal amount of logic. You even said "it works" without explaining the reason WHY it works. So let me break it down for you.

Camping works because it provides pressure on the survivors. If a survivor can unhook themselves via perk Deliverance or this feature the killer does not have pressure on the team and they can do generators for free. BHVR said absolutely nothing in the livestream about potentially faster cycle through hook stages regarding this change. If the survivor unhooks themselves while being facecamped instead of waiting out the entire stage first that is their fault.

• How would it be worse for the killer than another survivor unhooking right in front of them?

Simple, there is no second or third etc survivor involved. AKA no pressure, no reason to camp. If the survivor does not self unhook then that is them making a mistake. If they wait 59 seconds, unhook themselves, get tunneled, the killer is still chasing them for a minimum of ten extra seconds, and for a role where every second matters, this is not a good call. If the three remaining survivors were on generators for this entire time that you stared down and chase the survivor you lose a minimum of two generators, but most likely three. The perk Deliverance is classed as an "amazing" perk because of the sole reason that it removes the need for another survivor's involvement in your rescue.

Camping has no value with this feature, every reason to do it except raw toxicity is gone, it is not a valid strategy anymore to gain pressure and win the game, and you cannot fix toxic players, there will always be ways for people to be mean just to be mean. Your entire argument revolves around survivors making the poorest decisions possible and being punished for it.

Therefore, it is clearly, without a shadow of a doubt, a nerf to camping.

• Vhillain
    Options

"Stop being so negative" - said the person who posted an entire negative thread about a positive change.

"We're just going to get camped and tunneled out faster" No, because the incentive to camp is completely removed. Nobody is acting like it's a big help to stay camped - what we are saying is that if you are being camped you don't need to unhook yourself as soon as possible. Just wait until the end of your stage to buy as much time as possible for your team to do their objectives. This is quite literally nerfing one of the strongest killer strategies in the game by removing their entire reasoning to do it, and you act like this will somehow make the problem worse, you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the game and come across as quite entitled, to be blunt.

The tactic can never be completely removed from the game, but they have taken away the benefits to the killer for staring at a hook. You will see less camping killers and should be thankful for this, it's one of the best possible ways they could have addressed this issue.

• NoHookDC
    NoHookDC Member Posts: 234
    edited May 2023
    Options

Survivors get a free escape, because BHVR gives Survivors whatever they want.

Survivors: This is a Killer buff! Give us something else! (But also this)

The entitlement is real. 🤣

• naweyn
    naweyn Member Posts: 16
    Options

L take, typical meghead

• Veroles
    Veroles Member Posts: 868
    Options

The goal they want to achieve with such a mechanism is not to prevent camping or tunneling per se. They just want to diminish the value of a pure facecamp. I'm always very cautious and say less about something I haven't even seen tested, but I think that's at least not a step in the wrong direction. 

Many facecamp scenarios don't generate much pressure "if" people know how to counteract this and want to make it as expensive as possible for the killer. The possibility of unhooking myself as a survivor in a facecamp scenario can be huge depending on the loops nearby.

But it's far too early to give clear and good feedback on it, and I'm also curious to see how it will work out with Bubba.