Have the developers ever actually stated how they want killers to play the game?

So, reading the PTB notes and I see the change to Deja Vu:

• We have noticed growing concerns surrounding excessively long matches caused by 3-genning (Killer defending a cluster of three generators). We are working on a long term solution for a future update to limit how effective this strategy can be. However, we recognize that Survivors need more options at their disposal right now to combat 3-genning. With this in mind, some adjustments have been made to Déjà Vu: The perk will now reveal the auras of 3 generators which are in close proximity to one another indefinitely (previously for 30/45/60 seconds at the start of the trial and everytime a generator was completed) and grant a 4%/5%/6% repair speed bonus on the revealed generators (previously 3%/4%/5%).

So 3 genning is now bad? Then why do maps like suffocation pit actually exist? Why did the developers release the knight and then the skull merchant and now another killer with seemingly strong 3 Gen potential. Is this just due to complaining from survivors? Because the developers have made decisions for months (years) which suggest they’re fine with the game being played one way, only for enough moaning to cause them to try and counteract the game design they themselves implemented.

I honestly don’t understand anymore how the developers want killers to play the game. Is it just to “have fun”? Enjoy chases and don’t care about macro strategy or winning? Don’t use slowdown perks as they’re all mostly pretty trash?

I do agree that 3 genning can be tedious, but the solution is not removing that ability without changing other things like map design.

Comments

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,647

Yes. Map design is pretty bad across the board, including maps that force 3-gens because they are poorly designed.

I'm glad you agree...?

Although, to be clear, the language used is "limit the effectiveness of", not "remove".

• illNicola
    illNicola Member Posts: 482

So, why not just reworking maps to limit the 3gen possibilities? I know it's a lot of works, but instead of buffing a gen speed perks when gens already fly...

• Davenport916
    Davenport916 Member Posts: 169

Even with deja vu buff, I've recently adopted the 3 gen strat into my ordinary gameplay. I actively search out the closest 3 gens only because it benefits me late game as killer to have a close 3 gens. I still defend them because it's my one purpose next to hooking survivors.

• Davenport916
    Davenport916 Member Posts: 169

Me! It's rare I get an L because of it. I highly encourage this gameplay tactic of you're struggling with the bs that suvlrvivors can constantly get away with

• Green_Sliche
    Green_Sliche Member Posts: 641

So it's ok to ignore that often 3 gen is caused by survivors themselves. It's one thing when 3 gens are spawned near each other with direct line of sight, which should be addressed ( do note, it's not a killer's fault ) but when they are only relatively close to each other compared to the rest of gens then is it fair to punish a killer for trying to play around such triangle?

These potentially imposing changes that are announced do contradict with the idea that killer players are allowed the way they can and want. How far are we from the point where killers will have to play by some kind of rule book which will severely limit their options for the sake of positive survivor experience?

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,393
    edited May 2023

That popped out to me as I was reading it too. I believe a few factors are at play here, of course, map design, the introduction of heavy gen-defense killers like Knight and SM, and the spawn algorithm for gens have created the perfect ######### storm and the devs kinda backed themselves into a corner on this so something is going to have to give.

At first glance, it seems the devs are compromising to surv complaints of 3 gens. Some may say caving, but regardless of what you want to call it, they are cutting into the 3-gen no matter how you spin it. Both temporary and long-term solutions to 3-genning are being sought. Take that how you will.

I'd say map design & gen spawn are the biggest offenders and more than likely a root of this change because some maps (looking at your RPD) spawn the closest possible 3 gens that is so damn easy to guard that you're already at a gross advantage from the start. Like, yeah survs can easily bring it on themselves but some games are just a losing up-hill battle from the start because that's just the game's design.

Post edited by Nun_So_Vile on
  • lifestylee
    lifestylee Member Posts: 262

who can still do that with the nerfed gen kick perks tho? maybe just maybe skull merchant or something? i dont think its really a problem anymore

• HauntedKnight
    HauntedKnight Member Posts: 388
    edited May 2023

I agree maps like RPD (specifically when you get a Gen downstairs and upstairs in the main lobby) can be too oppressive 3 Gen wise for survivors. But the solution should surely be to reduce overall map size and make defending all gens actually possible?

Playing a lot of the roster, especially M1 killers, and especially those without mobility, it is impossible to defend all gens. I am almost certain that it is expected for killers to ignore far away gens/gens in bad spots and to try and create dead zones within an area of the map that is easier to defend. Again, it feels like the devs have bought into the argument that “the chase” is everything in this game. Defending certain areas, not chasing like a headless chicken is all part of a killer’s strategy. Are we really supposed to think the likes of Hag and Trapper shouldn’t be playing this way?

IMO four survivors should be able to break a 3 gen- the only ones who don’t are usually solo potatoes or cowards who won’t create even pressure on the killer and are waiting for their teammates to do it. The only exception to this is maybe skull merchant- which goes back to my original point. The latest full release killer is best played by 3 genning. Did the devs really not realise this was going to happen?

Killers and maps will need major reworks if they don’t fairly address this issue long term.

• AssortedSorting
    AssortedSorting Member Posts: 1,261
  • Blinckx
    Blinckx Member Posts: 426

Then rework the maps !

Deja Vu change is really a BAD BAD BAD change, permament gen speed boost ? always know the location of the gens ? It's truly bad

You're the one who made the maps and you are the one who change change gen spawn location so, instead od buff a perk why don't you fix maps and gen location spawn in order to avoid 3 gens ?

• illNicola
    illNicola Member Posts: 482

As I said in a previous post, in my opinion 80~90% of time is surv fault for the 3gen, 20~10% it's the killer holding the 3gen. I never faced a killer keeping the 3gen from the beginning of the match

• SpiritsHusk
    SpiritsHusk Member Posts: 169

Honesty a bit of everything, not being too extreme and camping 3 gens from the start of the game, rather just normally patrolling gens, tunnel survivors if necessary even, However, killer should not just be played with one thought, rather doing multiple things.

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,981

Wait. How does shrinking maps reduce 3-genning? Less space means more gens spawn closer together as gens have less surface space to load into. If anything shrinking maps makes 3-genning easier. Which is exactly what happened to RPD and New Haddonfield (this one was changed but they can’t really change RPD to prevent the 3-gen that always forms b/c there’s no where else for the gens to go).

• HauntedKnight

Well, this is the problem isn’t it. And it depends on what these “long term” solutions to 3 genning are.

If the devs don’t want people 3 genning, then all gens need to be close enough together so as not be detrimental to the killer if they leave that zone. But the gens can’t be too close together, as this would make getting gens done as survivors too difficult.

I would still argue however that gens on a lot of maps could be closer together. There’s a lot of dead space on some maps.

• HauntedKnight

I’ve always found the discrepancy in answers to the question “how long should a game of DBD be” to be quite bizarre. Especially when I see people advocating for games less than 6 minutes.