If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Tunneling and Gen Rushing are the same thing.

Options
Krazzik
Krazzik Member Posts: 2,263

Basically reiterating what I posted in another thread, but so many people don't seem to realise that these two things are basically the same. They're the most efficient way of playing the game and they maximise your chance of winning.

They're also incredibly unfun for the other side, but I wouldn't necessarily say someone is a bad person for resorting to either. If someone has fun in the game by winning most of their games then it's only natural that they would choose to play this way, it's BHVR's fault that the current game design means the most effective methods are also the most boring the play against.

A survivor who gets tunneled is probably not gonna have fun because they're not able to really play the game much and they leave the game with barely any BP. A killer who gets genrushed is also probably not having much fun because they didn't get to play the game much and end the game with not that much BP.

We as a community need to stop demonising only one or the other, and need to put pressure on the developers to make changes so that the optimal way of winning isn't so awful to play against.

Comments

• KingFieldShipper
    KingFieldShipper Member Posts: 572
    edited May 2023
    Options

Tunneling isn't always the most efficient way to do your objective though. It just so happens to work like that most of the time. But it can backfire and cause you to fall flat on your head and lose. It only works if you are absolutely smart about it and who you tunnel. Doing gens as quickly as possible really doesn't have that downside, unless you count noed existing, which I don't because people aren't doing all 5 totems and very rarely ever have.

For example, I ran this killer for 3 gens the other day, he tunneled me off hook, then tunneled me again, and then finally got his third and final hook when he downed me at the gates. I don't consider that being "efficient" and I'd say that backfired on him.

That said, agree 100% with that last paragraph.

Edit: Just to clarify, I don't only agree with the last paragraph, I laregly agree with the post, I just disagree whenever people blanket say tunneling is the most efficient thing to do.

Post edited by KingFieldShipper on
  • Sometimes_Sage
    Sometimes_Sage Member Posts: 143
    Options

I absolutely agree you can't blame players for doing what the game tasks them with. Punishing players for doing the obvious thing to do would only feel unfair and breed resentment, the only solution is fixing systems at their core.

But this kind of backfiring can only happen if one Survivor is considerably better than the others players in the match including the Killer. So it is a failure of the MMR system at which point every strategy would fall apart.

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2023
    Options

Tunneling is only so effective because of bad matchmaking and lack of survivor efficiency. In most games there is that one guy who is noticeably worse than everyone else. As a killer it's not hard to zero in on who the worst player is. I always hear people say "tunneling is the only way to beat good survivors" but I find the opposite to be true. If you're playing against an actual good team that is strapped with anti tunnel perks, bnps, no weak links, etc then you might not even be able to get one person out of the game before they finish the gens. A good survivor with anti tunnel perks can last a long time in chase if you aren't equally skilled and also playing as a strong killer. If more survivors would bring perks like OTR or even DS then tunneling would be a much less effective strategy. I'm basing this largely off of my own experience. I've had countless games where killers threw the game to tunnel me. I always make sure to go into every game with perks related to chase and tunneling. It works well for me and I don't understand why more survivors don't play this way.