In 3 gen strategy is anyone holding the game hostage.

I had a trapper from the beginning of the game that didn't chase anyone and only hit people near the 3 gens he was trying to lock down. The whole game he just went between these three gens. Of course my team did the gens as far away from him as possible. If he downed someone he just camped them and the 3 gens. We managed to unhook then all ran to the other side of the map. He refused to chase us and we refused to go down to where he was camping the 3 gens. At the end of the game he said he was reporting us for not doing the gens even though we did he would just hit us away from them then not commit to the chase. I have a recording of the full game and of us doing the first 4 gens and cleansing all the totems. If it worth reporting him? Can I even report him? I don't want to be banned because some trapper did a 3 gen strat from the start of the game what do you even do in that situation?

Comments

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176

I don't think you can report him or he can report you. You guys could still do the gens (even though he was defending them) Did he kill anyone or did you all escape?

• Misa22
    Misa22 Member Posts: 36
    edited March 2019

You can't report that killer. That is a valid strategy, my dude.

A crappy one indeed if you won't even chase during the match, but a valid one.

You know, as a killer, from the first 10 seconds you gotta locate the 3 gens you want for the endgame and, in the case of Trapper, fill that 1/2 map with traps.

But yeah, if you are not gonna chase... Why are you playing.

• e8Lattice
    e8Lattice Member Posts: 189

Add more gens to each map. Problem solved.

• ColonGlock
    ColonGlock Member Posts: 1,224

I usually just commit to a gen until killed after clearing all totems and chests in the other parts of the map. I have better things to do with my time than extend a match forever to get 5k escape points.

• Black_Fence
    Black_Fence Member Posts: 308

Well the game lasted over 33 minutes and I got the hatch. My team mates and I dicked around most of the match because he wouldn't leave the gens and we didn't want to die. Like he would hit us we would run to the other side of the map and heal because he wouldn't commit to the chase. We did this over and over and he would never commit to the chase and only go back and forward between the 3 gens, eventually my team mates gave up and died and I got the hatch (which was the other side of the map) he had over charge and unnerving presence so it was really ######### hard to hit the skill check which then made it impossible to make any gen progress.

• Black_Fence

I should add I don't want to report him and I get that it is a legit strat but can he get us banned for not attempting the gens? and eventually getting the hatch? I don't know what else to do in that situation other than die which isn't what you are supposed to do as a survivor.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200
    edited March 2019

The 3 gen strat is not a bannable offense. Its intended gameplay, preventing gen progress and killing survivors are the killers objective.

By the way, if you hide on the other side of the map and refuse to do gens, then its actually YOU who are holding the game hostage since you are not doing your objective and thats a bannable offense. The trapper was completely right about this.

As survivor you can totally break through a 3 gen strat. If the killer commits to this strat, he cannot commit to any chase, so you simply do a little gen progress, then run away. Continue that and you will eventually complete a gen

• Maelstrom1313
    Maelstrom1313 Member Posts: 230

Did one of yous try to keep the killer distracted near the gens while rest tried working on them?

• MegaWaffle
    MegaWaffle Member Posts: 4,172

He cannot report you since you did play the game, and you cannot report him since defending gens is still playing the game.

Since you had a SWF group my recommendation in that situation is to hit either 2 gens with 2 people each and play hyper aggressive on those gens to keep progress always going up on one or the other as he tries to run to both, OR hit all three and make him work for that protection. If you get hit don't waste too much time running far away to heal and try to keep that gen aggro going. The only killer who can effectively hold 3 gens without much trouble is a Sniper Build Doctor, and Nurse on PC (not as great as Doc though).

• DwikeyMain84
    DwikeyMain84 Member Posts: 107

yea sorry the killer was in the right here, though most times a 3 gen strat happens cuz the survivors don't pay attention to what gens they are doing but with a swf you can get around a 3 gen strat if you just do it right, have 1 player go for one of the protected gens and as soon as the killer goes after them to hit them the other 3 start on one of the other 3 gens and do as much as they can before the other player gets downed. whats that? you say he won't commit to a chase so they don't get downed? okay then don't take off running away from the gens when he hits you instead try go get him to chase you around that gen cuz every second you buy the other 3 players is worth it, most killers in this scenario won't chase you off to the other side of the map but they also won't turn down a chance to slug you if you stay close and once you are downed 1 of 2 things happen either the killer takes the time to hook you buying your team even more time on that gen or he chases off your teammates and you crawl to them and get healed and the team then rinses and repeats until one of the gens are on :) Also as a survivor main that 9/10 matches we end up getting all the gens on before a killer has a kill or just 1 kill has been completed then i can understand this trapper deciding to protect the 3 gens from the beginning, the people playing killer paid for this game to and want to enjoy this game to and just like your objective is to escape their objective is to stop you from escaping at all costs so i gotta side with the killer on this one and it isn't holding game hostage cuz like i explained and others have as well there are ways to get around this if you are willing to take certain chances and gambles.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

@Black_Fence You wrote that you "refused to go down to where he was camping the 3 gens" which means you didn't try to do gens. So basically if none of you guys did try to do gens, you were the ones holding the game hostage. You surely can't report the killer.

• Wolf74
    Wolf74 Member Posts: 2,959

"Of course my team did the gens as far away from him as possible."

And here is the mistake.

If there is a cluster of gens, you HAVE TO do them instead of all around them. Otherwise the loss is on you.

• Carpemortum
    Carpemortum Member Posts: 4,506

Always look for a central gen that's hard to get done, and do it FIRST. If you leave it until 3 gens, you essentially have 2 you can use and that makes the game nigh impossible for 1 or 2 survivors against a 3 gen strategy killer.

Plan ahead. Always.

• TeambossFloze
    TeambossFloze Member Posts: 1,260

omg the killer is using strategy to help his plight - games broken ofc

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

No, they are just preventing to be in a terrorradius. None of them were holding hostage, the killer could just commit to chase them down.

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

The trapper was doing the 3 gen since beginning, wouldn't have changed that much. And solos can't coordinate that, unlike swf groups

• Black_Fence

Okay I want to point out a few things because I have gotten quite a "entitled survivor main" backlash:

1. I was solo surviving when I said "My team did gens as far away as possible" I meant I had no choice in the matter they did gens.
    2. As I stated he had overcharge and unnerving presence doing gens wasn't an option because he was hard camping them like this: Tap one -> next one -> tap one -> next one-> survivor fails skill check->hits survivor-> taps gen-> next one
    3. eventually my team mates gave up and stood still and points at hooks and such.
    4. I don't want him to be banned, it is a strategy that clearly works well for him and he enjoys (sounds boring to me as a killer main) but I don't want to be banned for not standing still and getting killed.
    5. we did touch the gens but after my team mates started quitting I refused to go down to the other side of the map because I knew where the hatch was. He said because I didn't give up and was the other side of the map he was going to report me for holding the game hostage. As I left the guy on the floor to bleed out instead of going to him so he could get his 4k. I left out of the hatch as soon as my last team mate died.

My main concern was me getting banned for not going to that side of the map to up my team mate I was sure he was camping because I knew where the hatch was. I said can I report him I meant can I report him to stop me getting banned.

• Master

Survivors hiding somewhere on the map is indeed holding the game hostage

• Master

@Black_Fence

It doesnt matter what perks he brought or that you maneuvered yourself into this situation.

If you are standing afk below a hook, then you wont get banned (afk crows enable to killer to find you). If you just crouch around on the map however, waiting for him to leave his 3 gen strat, then its a bannable offense.

However you dont need to be worried about geting banned, there need to be several offenses before the devs take action. Just take this as a lesson and you know what to do next time

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

I BELIEVE this classifies as the Killer not doing enough.

Like, patrolling's fine, but he hits someone and then doesn't care one bit afterwards.

Idk, i didn't read up on that, i think a mod said that once on here though.

• Wolf74

"...i think a mod said that once on here though."

And it was WRONG. I remember that mod saying that in the forum and still, 3 gen strat is NOT "holding the game hostage".

The only way a killer can hold the game hostage is by blocking the basement stairs.

Protecting gens is the killers objective, he can't get punished for doing what he is supposed to do.

• AChaoticKiller
    AChaoticKiller Member Posts: 3,104

Dame that's a extremely killer sighted point of view, imo its the trapper since he does not try to down people he only stayed in one area like a Dog on a leash

• Wolf74

How is that killer sighted?

Facts don't have a side. Facts don't stop existing just because you choose a "side".

• Master

@AChaoticKiller

I dont know what you cited me on because the new forum.... ya know

But anything I wrote has nothing to do with killer sided or survivor sided, I just explained how the rules in this game work.

And fact is taht protecting gens is one of the primary objectives of a killer and that a killer will never get banned for doing a 3 gen strat, but survivors hiding somewhere ont he map not doing anything ARE indeed committing a bannable offense.

We have official confirmation on that, so there really is not much to talk about

• OrionsFury4789
    OrionsFury4789 Member Posts: 637

I actually suggested someone use the 3 gen strat earlier this morning, whenever you know the game is getting out of your control that's the best way to swing it back in your favor , keeping gen control and dictating where the end of the match is gonna be is huge in being successful as a killer

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

Yeah not chasing a survivor to the point of downing them is not holding the game hostage. Juggling targets is pretty much mandatory for most killers to be able to apply pressure in the first place, let alone a 3 gen defense strat.

As survivor its a good idea to try to lead killers away from pressure points (Other gens you know are being done, survivors getting unhooked, etc.) so expecting a killer to not be allowed to use the inverse strategy makes no sense.

That said, as some others have said, you just have to be as efficient as possible in attempting to counter the strat. Don't miss your skill check (protip: you can actually do the skillcheck after a gen tap, the skill check can be done while running away for some dumb reason) and try to apply pressure on a different gen as others/tank hits for others/distract the killer/anything. Or just don't let yourself get into that situation in the first place.

3 Gen games are an attrition battle. It might not seem like it, but the odds ARE in survivor's favor, as long as they're patient.

• thrawn3054
    thrawn3054 Member Posts: 5,897

That trapper can get over himself. You can't try to ban somebody for refusing to play into his hands. He doesn't want to chase fine. But I'll be damned if I'm going to simply give him the kill.

• thesuicidefox
    thesuicidefox Member Posts: 8,223

IMO the only time it's holding the game hostage is if a Doc is doing it, because he can actually stop the game at that point and hold it indefinitely if at least 1 person is dead. Plus the fact that Doc's usually set up to do this, so it wasn't a mistake the survivors made but something intentional the killer does.

I want to be clear IF the Doc takes chases/hits and makes an attempt to kill survivors then it's not holding the game hostage. It's only when the Doc just circle jerks the gens and never takes a chase they could easily take just to make the game last an hour.

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

Sometimes it's just not winnable in a Solo Survivor game, the Killer was using douchey tactics because this was his game from the start and knew what he was doing. His defense was perfect and the strategy valid, it's not wrong but his attitude towards it makes it #########. His attitude was clearly antagonistic and made every strategy you could possibly have wrong and he made you the problem by having that attitude.

But normally yes it's a valid tactic and in a Solo game sometimes it's not possible to win and the hatch is your only chance to survive. You couldn't communicate to your team and that's why everyone lost, you got the hatch and that was the only way out of it.

• TAG
    TAG Member Posts: 12,871

This game is really bad at handling stalemates.