If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

The Trickster is too powerful on outdoor maps

Options
KateMain86
KateMain86 Member Posts: 2,231
edited June 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

The trickster's power advantage on outdoor maps as opposed to indoor maps is massively different. On outdoor maps it seems almost impossible to avoid being hit by his knives. I've even been downed by the knives before the sprint burst was over from the first wounded state. He simply throws them too fast. Trying to dodge them in the open feels pointless most of the time when he can just spam them repeatedly. I think there needs to be a range requirement for using the ranged ability. He shouldn't be able to throw them at close range. I feel like they give him too much reward and too much of an advantage when trying to run from this killer and makes him much less reliant on his basic attack.

Also just to be clear, this would have to be worked to only function while in chase. If he's not in chase with a survivor then being able to throw them from any distance is Ok.

Comments

• KateMain86
    Options

Yea the trickster had to do the impossible task of moving slightly to the left or right when I did just that... He doesn't need a buff. His knives do too much damage too fast. From a long range no killer should get that much power that quickly.

• Dark_Alex
    Dark_Alex Member Posts: 91
    Options

Skill issue

• Veroles
    Veroles Member Posts: 868
    edited June 2023
    Options

Every killer in this game has situations, where the power is most effective. A trickster open field is such a situation, but that's the same with bubba/ billy/ huntress and so on. What you described is a situation where you get catched* offguard, but that is a situation what people can prevent in a lot of scenarios so they try to stay near a loop possibility.

It sounds dumb but i can tell you, dodging knives open field is no good idea in most cases. It is better to run a straight line to make more distance, what gives you a higher chance to reach a filler pallet or anything, where the power is limited, instead of trying to dodge knives.

That's pretty common that people wanna avoid damage but in a lot of cases the distance is much more important overall. When i play against trickster and he catches me offguard open field, that's something what works much better.

Added: At least when you are full life or you have endurance. When you are half life you need to dodge anyhow because you will not get a sprint burst and that's the last possibility to prevent the down.

Post edited by Veroles on
  • SpiritsHusk
    SpiritsHusk Member Posts: 169
    Options
  • KateMain86
    Options

The trapper and trickster are 2 very different characters. My issue with trickster is the strength of his power, particularly with the speed of it. I think with how fast he can put survivors in the wounded and dying state at range the power has too much control in a chase situation. This is only problematic on outdoor maps which make dealing with this killer significantly harder. I've tried avoiding the knives many times and found that on outdoor maps doing this is very hard to do. It feels similar to the plague's power in how difficult it is to avoid being hit by them. Running left and right in chase hasn't been effective in dodging these attacks. I really don't know what else to do to avoid trickster's power while in chase in the open.

• nars
    nars Member Posts: 1,124
    Options

I mean yeah, a killer who likes LOS is gonna be better on outdoor maps. Trciskter is fine. I dont get why you think hes an issue on outdoor maps when huntress can hit you literally anywhere at any time. Also, if you got downed mid SB then maybe try strafing or running behind something. He shouldnt never be landing every single knife consecutively unless you are in a choke point.

hes a ranged killer. Hes meant to be m2 reliant, thats why he moves 0.2/ms slower than everyone else. Hes c tier anyway it'd just be stupid to nerf him.

• nars
    nars Member Posts: 1,124
    Options

Trickster throw rate is fine, the whole point of his power is to shred through health states. the problem is that hes got great 1v1 but is horrible on the macro scale. Just crouching behind something ruins his entire power.

For comparison: Huntress, a very similar killer, can use a hatchet to injure instead of a regular basic attack and the survivor will gain less distance from their speed boost. Melee huntress is a very effective way to get a quick down *out in the open*.

The key word here is out in the open. You should never be there unless you are chaining a loop. Even then though there shouldnt be a situation where you are just caught somewhere with no pallets/windows. If there is, you made a mistake and him damaging you is the price. its the same with any killer; if wesker catches you in a deadzone, hes gonna infect you. if nurse finds you out alone, shes gonna have a real easy time downing you with all that free sight.

If you want some tips on how to avoid his power in the open, I've got a few. Obviosly for one theres dodging, simple enough just move unpredictably. Secondly, break line of sight as much as possible. Meaning, run behind stuff. Dont just stop and stand there, put map geometry in the way of him seeing you directly. Even a simple rock can stop him, if you run a circle around it and play it right he'll have to regular hit you. At which point you get distance and he cant just shred you.

His power relies on having a direct view of you, like you said thats why hes better on outdoor maps. So do anything you can to make sure he doesnt see you. Break LOS, loop the tall wall gyms, etc etc if you do all that hes just an m1 killer with a slower speed. Thats why huntress is a tier and he is c tier; just one quick blip of LOS can end in an injury against huntress. Trickster has do that, but 6 times.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 6,645
    Options

Secondly, break line of sight as much as possible. Meaning, run behind stuff. Dont just stop and stand there, put map geometry in the way of him seeing you directly. Even a simple rock can stop him, if you run a circle around it and play it right he'll have to regular hit you. At which point you get distance and he cant just shred you.

good explanation. I think explained this a long time ago when he came out that LOS is too exploitable for his ability because he takes too long to deal damage because he's not burst damage focused but rather dps focused. Its kinda silly that running around rocks completely deletes his main event and makes it more of drawback then normal shooting mode. this was even more exploitable when his movement speed was 66%-33% but even at 96%, using line of sight against him properly makes him a very inefficient 1vs1 character. I still think he'd feel a lot better to play if his throwing mode m/s was 105% so that he can hold knifes around loops and not lose that much distance. He'd still probably not be that great but at least his gameplay would make more sense from constantly pulling out knives and then putting away knives. its just kinda weird right now. The only way he's punishing survivors that are healthy when moving around objects out in the open with no pallet is if he uses iri photocard and arguably iri photocard is only remotely threatening version of trickster.

Thats why huntress is a tier and he is c tier; just one quick blip of LOS can end in an injury against huntress. Trickster has do that, but 6 times.

huntress has higher skill-cieling because difference between average huntress players and the best huntress player are their ability to find 5-10 second LOS windows where the survivor is vulnerable and land high pressure shot. The better your aim, the more effective and reliable it is. Trickster can land 1-3 knifes in these exact positions but that is worse reward then full injures and this is just how trickster is designed to be dps as opposed to a more time-based burst injury character. He needs buffs so that his play-style works but nobody really plays him and BVHR mostly balances killers off excel spreadsheet where trickster does fine in excel spreadsheet.

• DaddyMyers_Mori
    DaddyMyers_Mori Member Posts: 2,206
    Options

Different characters, but both are weak overall except specific maps.

Trickster is basically bubba if he catches you in open space. It's not really easy to down someone fast enough on higher distance.

You just need to work on positioning. When he catches you in open and you die during SB, that's skill issue.

• mca240
    mca240 Member Posts: 457
    Options

I do not feel the Trickster is too strong. Yes, he is stronger in certain situations than others. But him being stronger on outdoor maps goes for all ranged killers. If anything his power is boring to go up against? And I see so many survivors not being able to loop him running to a pallet in the wide open instead of breaking line of sight.

The only thing I hate about Trickster is his ability to camp. He'll just spam knives which is very effective almost always resulting in a min. of 1 down.

• not_requested49
    not_requested49 Member Posts: 1,980
    Options

Trickster can be strong.. on PC

On console he's terrible to control

• Orthane
    Orthane Member Posts: 373
    Options

And he's unplayable in indoor maps like the Game and Lery's so it's almost like he's map dependant or something?

• scorpia
    scorpia Member Posts: 31
    Options

Come on man, he’s one of the weaker killers. Let him have SOME times when he is actually strong. You can’t just ask them to nerf every killer so they never have an advantage.

• ReverseVelocity
    ReverseVelocity Member Posts: 3,064
    Options

He has a 40m lullaby, you get plenty of warning if he's coming, and he can't get rid of it with perks. If you're caught out in the open against a Trickster then that's your fault.

• DbDistorian
    DbDistorian Member Posts: 7
    Options

good outdoors in an open space, trash everywhere else

balanced as all things should be