Thoughts on farmers.

Options
Riski
Riski Member Posts: 208
edited June 2023 in General Discussions

I've had a few matches so far of the new event and love playing with the new mechanics however whenever an event happens you find players (mostly killers in my experience) who just want to farm. On one hand play how you want, it's a game you paid for and you can do what you wish. On the other more compelling hand please play the game, the point of the game is the killer is trying to kill the survivors and farming isn't this at all it's quite the opposite. Personally this is on the same level of afk to me of not really playing the game. This also applies to survivors to a lesser extent but at the end of the day if the killer wants it to end they can just kill.

"But what about the bp" idc really. BP is a reward for playing well and it means nothing if I'm not being challeneged into playing well. I understand some people like BP but if I wanted to see big number go up I'd play a clicker game. "Why complain" relatively minor but when you're only playing for a couple of hours in the evening having even one or two matches wasted by people not playing the game feels bad when you want to play the game.

I wonder about the general consensis around this, if most people like this or not, and what people do if they find a farming killer and they don't want to join in. I personally try to just do gens and move on but I understand some people have different preferences to how to handle this, just feels like when you queue up you do make a silent agreement to go along and play with the spirit of the game and this just ain't it.

Comments

• UnknownKiller
    UnknownKiller Member Posts: 3,024
    Options

Well i typically farm when someone dc or hook suicide.If they want to ruin his fun fine by me but not ours

• VirtuaTyKing
    VirtuaTyKing Member Posts: 452
    Options

If 2 DC early then I can understand it and go along with it. People can de-pip otherwise which isn't fair.

In general outside of a silly match with a ghost face where we all lined up t- bagging to the terror radius it's boring as hell.

Not only that I think it's slower getting bp this way.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941
    Options

I've only encountered one friendly killer yesterday, it was a Ghostface. I don't think I encountered any farming killers, if anything sometimes they could afford to let us finish a gen or two with two DC, but hey what can you expect from a Blight player.

Farming can be boring especially since you can hardly interact with the killer outside of chases. If they added more ways for killers and survivors to interact in funny ways I think it could be refreshing. I wanna be able to chill in the swings with Ghosty on Haddonfield goddammit, or the slides.

• Hannacia
    Hannacia Member Posts: 1,152
    Options

I was friendly killer today due to the event. I want survivors to enjoy themselfs and get masks so i didnt go too hard on them.

Personally i don't like farming killers as a survivor nor do i like to farm as a killer but today was an exception.

Playing spirit people Dced against me when i got first down so i didnt even feel like just stomping on the last remaining ones at 5 gens. I just find farming boring.

• Annso_x
    Annso_x Member Posts: 1,611
    Options

I find farming really boring on both sides, when I want to be friendly I just play normally except I don't hook survivors if they're on death hook, and once everyone is on death hook I let them do the remaining gens (which doesn't take long because I stop pressuring gens depending on how quickly I'm hooking everyone) and then I open the gates once they're done. The only kind of farming I'll do is during the endgame collapse and only if survivors are asking me to, and even then I usually make them leave after a couple of minutes.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,772
    Options

I don't enjoy farming but I don't see farming killers enough for it to bother me. I just do gens.

• Riski
    Riski Member Posts: 208
    Options

Considering what beens said I think I just had an unlucky stroke of several farming killers in a row. So take what I've said with a grain of salt.

I can understand that but I guess I don't play for long enough at a time to feel like that.

• EvilSerje
    EvilSerje Member Posts: 1,070
    Options

Can you explain farming? Because I was accused of farming once.

I usually play to the point when I win, not when everyone is dead, i.e. all alive on hook and last one is down (or everyone alive are downed), they I let last one to wiggle out, uhook still breathing friends, finish gen and get out. Or find hatch if only one left.

Those who lived to this moment, usually very happy and gladly help finish some stupid grindy challenges/achivements (like break 9000 pallets or kick 100000 generators). Also I very often give "rescue mission" and "left for dead" achievements. And 90% of the time everyone is superhappy and saying nice things in EGC.

But once one survivor said that I'm farmer and held the game hostage and get reported (he didn't live to the end, though, maybe was just envious of his friends)

• Annso_x
    Annso_x Member Posts: 1,611
    Options

I don't consider that farming tbh, that's just being friendly. I think the survivor was probably jealous, and you weren't taking the game hostage at all considering survivors could just do the gens and leave.

I consider farming to be "not playing the game as intended to maximize BPs for everyone", stuff like kicking a gen over and over again, having everyone lined up to get hooked twice, hitting survivors until they've maxed out their heal points... these kind of things I find really boring and not fun (not to mention playing the game normally usually gets you BPs faster). Playing normally and then letting survivors go is just nice.

• edgarpoop
    edgarpoop Member Posts: 8,071
    Options

Annoying and pointless. You get more BP from playing 2 normal matches during an event in the time it takes you to slog through 1 farm game.

• malloymk
    malloymk Member Posts: 1,542
    Options

I don't mind farmers, but admittedly I've seen maybe 2 or 3 total in the last three years and I have thousands of hours in this game so it's not like I don't play enough to encounter more of them.

I envy you people that see them enough to make a post on the forums complaining about them that's for sure.

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,056
    Options

The occasional farming killer is a nice change of pace so I don't mind them.

When I'm the killer I don't usually go out of my way to farm unless someone D/Cs immediately or is otherwise a one-hook wuss. Then I'll set least to easy so this week stay have something for their trouble.

Rather than obviously farm I'll try to pay until I'm at 8-ish hooks then mess around without interfering with gens too much.

• TheEvilShape
    TheEvilShape Member Posts: 38
    Options

People who don't like to farm, every once in a while, are so bland. It's just a game, take it easy every once in a while. Wipe the sweat from your brow and enjoy the match and go back to sweating next match, acting like it's the end of the world.

Mind you, this is my opinion if it's every once in a while. Farming none stop is a bit annoying, I agree, but it's a nice break from all the try hards in the game.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333
    Options

People usually farm during events so they can max out on bp and event challenge rewards. It's fine honestly because you could be getting the other thing people do during events which is play extremely sweaty and cause low scoring games for everyone which makes doing the event stuff harder and makes the games not worth it.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Survivors: killers are killing the fun during this event by killing survivors.

Also survivors: killers shouldn´t farm...

What are killers supposed to do?! Forum is full of complaints about slugging, tunneling and killing at 5 gens.

It doesn´t matter how a killer plays, someone will complain about it.

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013
    Options

I don't mind the odd farming game. But too many would get tiring if killer farms from the outset.

Me when i play killer i often kill 2. Double hook the last 2 and then i tend to let them go. Game is still challenging and they get a free escape.

• Jeromy137
    Jeromy137 Member Posts: 348
    Options

You can never please anyone that's the sad thing about humanity there will always be a complaint about something

At least with this complaint that doesn't need to be as much of a complaint they have an easy fix just finish the game quicker while people farm

• Zwergz112
    Zwergz112 Member Posts: 197
    Options

Whenever I played Killer yesterday during the event I mainly farmed due to knowing the stress of getting to endgame for Survivor in order to get a mask in comparison to Killers just having to have held onto it when the game is, it's a pain as Survivor sometimes trying but falling short of getting a mask so the least I could do is help them along the way and make some games a bit of a break

• Hex_Llama
    Hex_Llama Member Posts: 1,787
    Options

The rules of the event put Killer players in an awkward position. I don't think it's wrong to play normally, but I would personally feel like a jerk if I loaded in on the first day of the event and 4ked everyone before the doors were open. I don't EXPECT anyone to farm, but, I get why some Killer players might take their foot of the gas for the first dew days, while everyone's trying to get their rewards.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    Options

Yes. But this also explains, why some killers play so scummy. If the match ends with insults, no matter how you play, then whats stopping the killer from playing in the worst possible way?

I´ve had matches where someone dc/suicided early on. I farmed with the remaining survivors and let them escape. Endgame chat: "reported! enjoy your ban!"

Then i have a similar match, decide to not farm, endgame chat: "why didn´t you let us farm?! why are you such a ****?!"

When all it needs is being a bit nice, no matter how the match went. DbD has one of the most toxic communities i´ve met and some kind acts can really go a looooong way and improve the game for everyone.

• RoastedGarlic
    RoastedGarlic Member Posts: 532
    Options

I dont typically farm, but during events I will. I know what its like on the survivor side of things so I rather be a change of pace and joy during a time right now. I will play normally until I two hook everyone then I chill let everyone out so they can get their masks. I've never had any negative feedback from doing this.

Events can be frustrating, I've been hard tunneled out of several games today. Would be refreshing to get a killer who farms.

• Pluto_1
    Pluto_1 Member Posts: 337
    edited June 2023
    Options

I'd say my games, killer only, are 1 farm out of 10 games. I was also surprised at the amount of surv dcs when I did this so I don't do it as much anymore. I did have a fun farm game today with all four survivors though as the wraith.