The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Ruin Rework Idea (8 SkillCheck guarantee))

AshleyWB
AshleyWB Member Posts: 4,061
edited March 2019 in General Discussions

What if each generator had a ruin skill check for every 12.5% of generator progression. This would mean you would get 8 ruin skill checks per generator which is a fixed amount on every gen.

Divide a generator progression bar by 8. At these 8 checkpoints (indicated on the gen progression bar) you will get a hex ruin skillcheck.

12.5×8=100

For every great (hex ruin) skill check you push the progression check points ahead by 7%. So this would mean that if your first skill check was a great the 12.5% gen progression would be present and the next checkpoint at 25%gen progression would be set to trigger at 32% gen progression (7%bonus).

The thinking behind this is to encourage pushing through ruin as rng cannot badly influence you. Ruin will be less tedious and other forms of gen defence including more dynamic approaches will be encouraged.

Post edited by AshleyWB on

Comments

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176

I actually really like this, it could be paired with unnerving presence and the new killer perk (Dark Devotion I think) for a nice combo

• AshleyWB

Normally its hit or miss with the responses I get on these meta perk rework suggestions. I think this would be a well received rework.

• PreGum
    PreGum Member Posts: 64

Except since it’s a hex perk it’ll get destroyed and overall be less useful than it is now since there’s only a fixed amount of skill checks. Ruin is fine, if anything it’s totem spots that need to be changed.

• NuclearBurrito
    NuclearBurrito Member Posts: 6,807

Personally I wouldn't put the markings in there and I would give it a range where it can activate. That way it doesn't give survivors the information preemptively and it still keeps survivor's on their toes with perks like Huntresses lullaby and some doctor builds

• AshleyWB

@PreGum Ruin isn't fine. Ruin is anti fun-gameplay and only is so widely used because it's needed to slow down gens.

The purpose of hex ruin remains the same. Just a few tweaks to encourage dynamic and more intense gameplay.

• AshleyWB

Having the marking on the gen progression bar isn't needed to be fair.

• PreGum
    PreGum Member Posts: 64

You’re right. Ruin is unfun. It’s unfun to be genrushed and then have one of your only four perk slots destroyed. Ruin is fine as is. If it’s such a problem just break the totem 🤷🏽‍♀️

• AshleyWB

@PreGum This is far from a nerf to ruin. It still has the same purpose except there is a guarantee that hex skill checks are rewarded with less skill checks when successfully hit.

Survivors will want to try working on the gen more often as they have the certainty that they won't get a million skillchecks. In fact having a base 8 ruin skill checks is a very decent amount for each survivor to have to slow down gens as killer.

Nothing to do with the totem itself, its how ruin functions. You said it yourself its tedious and boring to use whether killer or survivor.

• Tucking_Friggered
    Tucking_Friggered Member Posts: 636

NOED cry didn't gain traction now switch it to Ruin. Just git gud.

• TLP_Legion
    TLP_Legion Member Posts: 25

One of the worst ideas I've seen for a change to Ruin. This is a complete nerf to the perk because you struggle with skill checks, and this would make the perk totally worthless. I hit the majority of them because it's all practice.

Not only would this need to be no longer a hex perk with this change, but it'd make it too easy to rush gens. Ruin isn't hard to push through as it is. The totem usually lasts for only 20 seconds. Ruin is a fair perk, with many options to counter it.

• Dwight_Confusion
    Dwight_Confusion Member Posts: 1,650

Ruin is fine.

They just need to make cleansing totems 2 seconds longer, or.... BUFF Thrill of the Hunt.

• rexydon
    rexydon Member Posts: 42

Sooo what? If they fail ruin then what? Where is the negative to this? If the engine goes below the 12.5% marker then do they have to do another check, or is it a one and done?

I am sorry but even as a survivor main, I don't see this being any more fun, or even needed.

• AshleyWB
    edited March 2019

To all of you complaining saying this is a nerf to ruin you are literally clueless. Ruin is the exact same. Just that hitting a hex skill check reduces the amount of skill checks you get.

If you fail a skill check then you will get another skill check within seconds until you pass the marker for that gen progression to be reached. This will be done by being bumped back to the last marker so you can attempt the skill check you missed again. No rng makes it better for killer. Hitting great hex skillchecks makes survivor have less skillchecks. Simple.

And I'm not a survivor main nor am I a killer main. The reason why you say this is such a bad idea is because you rely on ruin so much that in fact you are the one who cries when that's under threat. In my idea ruin is the exact same.

The fact is that ruin is boring and encourages slow, dissatisfying gameplay on both sides when you get so many skill checks or survivors getting 1 or 2 skill checks per gen through rng.

My idea gaurentees 8 skill checks per ruin generator which infact is a buff for ruin. The only time survivors get less skill checks is when they hit the hex skill checks they are given.

If you fail to admit what a boring perk Ruin is then how can you talk down my idea which makes it more rewarding for attempting to push through it encouraging survivors to be doing something so they can be found rather than crouching in a bush as they hear the tr and must search for totem.

One of the main reasons totems are destroyed so early is because everybody hates ruin because its boring again. Don't know how many times I need to say it but you're in denial if you think its a fun perk.

• AshleyWB

Also I never cried about noed nor am I crying about ruin. You're just too dumb to see the positives of this rework idea.

Also I'm suggesting you're legion mains too so it's a little hypocritical to say my idea is so bad when you play the most stupid and unfun killer in the game. You people make nurse mains look fun.

And maybe my idea isn't perfect. Maybe all hex perks should take longer to cleanse. That is a separate issue but I do agree with you. The cleanse speed should be determined by the number of dull totems present.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,018

Why do we need a ruin rework

• Well_Placed_HexTotem
    Well_Placed_HexTotem Member Posts: 824

“Hey guys it’s totally not a nerf to Ruin, the perk is exactly the same! Except these changes which make the perk worthless:”

LOL

How are 8 skill checks where you get a boost for hitting them, anything BUT a huge nerf to Ruin? I typically get at least 10+ hex skillchecks when I encounter Ruin. And if I hit all of them perfectly, I don’t get any bonus. Under this rework I’d get less skillchecks and complete the gen much faster.

Basically this is an idea to get people to work through Ruin without looking for the totem. So it’s already incredibly easy to just find the totem and destroy it, and it’s easy to just work through Ruin, but you want an even easier third tier where you can find the totem, or work through Ruin, but if you do work through Ruin, hey now it’s way easier.

No thanks. This is almost as bad as that NOED rework another person was begging for in another recent “nerf this killer perk” thread.

If you want to fix Ruin, make it so that killers don’t feel pressured to always use it. Increase gen times or add other required objectives. Then less killers will run Ruin.

• AshleyWB

@Hoodedfengm1n Because Ruin is an unfun perk and it's been the same since release.

• AshleyWB

What if ruin wasn't a hex anymore? If it can't be destroyed but the effects are constant. I'm personally ok with that. I have a problem with teammates being dumb noticing theres ruin and then spending 10 minutes looking for the totem only for the killer to be patrolling it. Survivors get down and it just makes it annoying to be the gen jockey.

• AshleyWB

And having a generator with 0 hex skill checks is fair, yet you complain about having 8 every time is a nerf.

• Bongbingbing
    Bongbingbing Member Posts: 1,423

That'd kind of make ruin useless.

You have a choice of trying to do the skill checks or looking for the ruin, That's the whole point of a Hex perk, It's strong and should force you to want to try and get rid of it.

You say ruin is an Unfun perk because it hinders your ability to get trough our objective but you don't realize that most perks on both sides do exactly that. By that logic we should change half the perks in the game.

The only problem with Ruin is that it's too easily found.

• Hoodied
    Hoodied Member Posts: 13,018

@AshleyWB The perk is needed for some killers to slow the game down just a little bit

its fine and the rework you made does not help the killer, it hurts them more than help

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

Question: Why would anyone take a perk that blatantly helps the other team?

• SlothGirly
    SlothGirly Member Posts: 1,146

This is a huge nerf to Ruin, I despise this idea alot and I'm a survivor player. This doesn't slow generators, it speeds them up; if you believe otherwise your maths is flawed. For convenience sake lets say there's a good high rank player who hits all great skill checks.

So a generator with one person takes 80 seconds to complete, leaving us at 1.25% progression per second. It would take 10 seconds per 12.5% on the gen up until the first skill check where you get an extra 7% progress, 7% equating to around 5.6 seconds of progress, multiply that by 7 as you would only have 7 of the skillchecks which you can find if you graph your idea. So in all we get 39.2 seconds of extra progress, take that away from 80 we have 40.2 seconds.

So in short by hitting all great skill checks you reduce the time needed for a single person to complete a gen by almost 50% where as with ruin now it slows down progress by an insane amount as in 80 seconds still if you hit ALL great skill check. So I'm sorry, but your idea is very bad.

• AshleyWB

Even if you disagree with my idea then I say its important to discuss changes to Ruin if you care so much about gens being done at a reasonsble pace. It shouldn't require ruin to defend gens effectively but it's how it is. I don't want ruin in my loadout but it's too easy to take it patrol it and not worry about gens so much. It drains excitement and creativity and I hate how not taking it is harming yourself as killer.

• AshleyWB

@Orion This wouldn't help survivors, this idea intends to encourage working on a ruin gen rather than hunting for the totem. Also as a console player I may have generalised skill check performance. There is hardly ever a smooth skillcheck needle to hit great. I can really concentrate and get many greats but it's just so boring. PC likely has way better skill check performance, framerate likely good and I kinda overlooked the ease of great skill checks is vast.

All I'm saying is that we should brainstorm a rework for ruin to make it last longer, be less influenced by framerate and to encourage meaningful gameplay.

• HavelmomDaS1
    HavelmomDaS1 Member Posts: 1,948

I get sometimes 1-2 skillchecks on a gen. I had even repaired some gens without getting a single skillcheck. The current Ruin is in these situations useless

• Orion

The perk literally makes skill checks stronger. Given that killers don't have skill checks, there's only one side this would benefit.

Ruin has counters. Use them.

• AshleyWB

@Orion Ruin has counters

*breaks totem* complains about totem being destroyed.

• Orion

I don't use Ruin, so you're talking about someone else.

• AshleyWB

Neither do I. Can I ask why do you personally not use ruin? @Orion

• Orion
    edited March 2019

Because with the exception of Haunted Ground and NOED, Hex perks are worthless. By design, they're perks whose benefits you only reap if your opponents let you. How bad is that? Even NOED is worthless if the survivors allow it. Haunted Ground is sometimes useful because survivors can't take the chance it's not Devour Hope or whatever.

• TheBean
    TheBean Member Posts: 2,320
    edited March 2019

Sounds like a good idea... how about changing that idea.. to per survivor.

So... Any survivor affected by ruin, will face 8 skill checks on the generator, at any given point of progression.

Meaning... If the generator is 50% completed before that survivor works on the gen, they will face 8 skill check through that remainder of the progression.

Then... That 8 skill check counter, resets everytime the survivor stops working on the gen.

• AshleyWB

@thebean I like this suggestion.

See anyone who disagrees with my initial idea, just suggest a tweak and we will see how it fits in.

• AshleyWB

@Orion agree completely with you.

Personally I think when someones cleansing a totem all totems auras are shown to the killer to show that. All hex totems should have the cleanse speed determined by the remaining dull totems. Just like ToTH but without the notification. I hope ToTH gets a shake up also.

• Tarvesh
    Tarvesh Member Posts: 765
    edited March 2019

Ruin makes it so that there either a negative effect or that there is no reward for good/great skills checks.

Giving a reward with no actual negative effect is basically taking the name Ruin and slapping it on top of a perk that should be called “Free Gen Progress”.

This isn’t a nerf, it’s getting rid of the perk entirely and replacing it with something that just helps survivors when they hit their skills checks.

”Oh no. 8 chances for me to progress the bar faster. Whatever will I do? Darn the killer for bringing this helpful perk for survivors!”

• AshleyWB

@Tarvesh my ruin rework doesn't speed up gen progress at all. It guarantees 8 base skill checks and rewards with 1 or 2 less ruin skillchecks if you hit them. There is no bonus speed on great just less frequent skill checks.

• AshleyWB

@EntityDispleased This is about Ruin being boring and required to be in killer loadout if you want to defend gens effectively.

• KingB
    KingB Member Posts: 747

The problem is guaranteed skill checks would make waking up easier than it already is.

• SlothGirly
    SlothGirly Member Posts: 1,146

No, no, no, no. This has nothing to do with gen being done effectively. You made an idea which outright ruins, Ruin. It does the inverse of Ruins purpose, you in trying to "fix" it just made it worse in any case. It isn't required to use, and with this nobody would use it, it would be the worst and most useless perk in the game. If you think otherwise there is some serious problems in realising the flow of the game.

You have no concept of how Ruin is meant to function, and I myself as a survivor find Ruin no more boring than being in a chase, Ruin adds a problem to the game, something to be mindful of, not brainless fixing a gen without penalty, and if this was brought in, you would never see another Ruin again.

• Orion

That's not the problem with Hex perks. The problem is that you only get anything out of it if your opponents say so, and if they don't say so, you're immediately down one perk.

• AshleyWB

@AlphaJackson Can you not read?

When I said effectiveness I meant it for the killer being able to use ruin to defend gens properly and effectively.

In ruins current state you can get anything from 0 to 20 hex skill checks per person per generator. How is a base 8 for every survivor on every gen a nerf? It isn't.

Stop acting so violated because I suggest a change to a perk you likely rely on. Stop going off on a tangent and read what I said.

• Orion
    edited March 2019

It's a nerf because while you're proposing more consistent skill checks, you're also proposing they be a lot more beneficial to the survivors than they are now.

• AshleyWB

@Orion What if all dull totems were blocked off by the entity at the start of each game. Hex ruin can disguise itself as a dull totem and for every generator repaired, one by one the dull totems are unblocked.

• TreblucFayle
    TreblucFayle Member Posts: 75

Interesting idea, however it still suffers from the same issue that the current Ruin has. It holds the killers hand, and slows down the game without the killer doing anything.

Because of this, killers who use Ruin never learn to pressure gens and become dependent on it.

It's usefulness is completely dependent on the skill of the survivors, not the killer.

I'd much rather see it changed to something that accomplishes the same thing, but requires the killer to be involved.

One example I've seen is that it no longer slows gens in any way. Instead it reveals the survivors aura while they work on the gens, allowing the killer to know which gens to pressure.

• Orion

That could replace TotH's effect that increases cleansing time, which could then be added to the base game.

• AshleyWB

Hitting a great skill check in my idea doesn't increase the repair speed as it does today. It affects the amount of skill checks you get on that particular gen.

The figures I use are just an example, there can be 12 base skill checks if you all think that's more balanced.

• AshleyWB

IDEA - WHAT IF HEX TOTEMS COULD BE REIGNITED BY THE KILLER?

• Orion

Ah. There seems to have been a big misunderstanding here. I thought you meant the progress bar would advance by 7% or whatever it was. While the suggestion isn't as bad as I first believed, I still say it's bad on the basis that powering through Ruin can be done effectively and is sometimes better than finding the totem, depending on how well hidden it is.

• Orion

Already suggested, and no. Killers are under enough pressure already.