The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Flexible Repair Speed (based on Gens/Survs/Hooks)

Ivanynakov
Ivanynakov Member Posts: 235
edited July 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

PROBLEM:

Big amount of one-sided games without change of leading opportunity. Leads to scenarios when you already lost but need to keep playing few more minutes or DC. Often caused by lucky/unlucky beginning.

SOLUTION:

Having flexible repair speed on generators (based on generators repaired/survivors died/hookstages) would balance SWF, SoloQ and Killer games and make the game reacher.

• For every generator repaired, Survivors would get (x)% repair speed penalty.
  • For every hook stage, Survivors would reverse (y)% repair speed penalty up to 0%.
  • For every Survivor dead, Survivors would get (z)% repair speed boost.

NEW POSSIBILITIES:

1. Situations with 4 gens 2 survivors would be winnable.
  2. Situations with 1 gen 4 survivors would be winnable.
  3. Situations with 1 gen 1 survivor, when repairing gen instead of finding hatch is good enough option.

EDIT:

This mechanic would also PREVENT TUNNELING. As a Killer, farming hook stages will be more effective than killing Survivors because hook stages can NOT lead to Survivors repair speed boost.

Post edited by Ivanynakov on

Comments

• DaddyMyers_Mori
    DaddyMyers_Mori Member Posts: 2,205

Slugging only during 3-gen sounds fun...

Add Thana for even more fun.

• Nash
    Nash Member Posts: 24
    edited July 2023

That looks like a punishment for killers that are playing fair. I sometimes get 1k at 6-9 hooks with 1 gen left.

• Ivanynakov

According to my formula, In this scenario Survivors would have repair speed penalty so you would be able to get more kills.

• Penalty (Repair Speed Nerf) is calculated by Number of Generators Repaired minus Hook Stage Compensation. Can not be less than 0 so we don't have boost.
    • Repair Speed Boost is calculated by Number of Survivors dead.
    • Final Repair Speed is: "Base Speed - Penalty + Boost"

This mechanic would also prevent tunneling because the most effective way would be to NOT kill survivors but get Hook Stages instead.

So very simplified formula is:

Base Repair Speed - (Penalty from Generators finished - HookStage Compensation) + Boost Speed from dead Survivors = FINAL REPAIR SPEED

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,272

Wouldn't this just incentivize slugging everyone to death? They're reworking Sadako to deincentivize this on her, but this would make slugging builds stronger for EVERY killer.

• Nash

Mb I didn't read it thoroughly, although it's an interesting idea but still I doubt it will change much about the current state of the game, something like the new pain res could be better, i.e. only incentivise fresh hooks without much downsides to it. The problem with your idea is if the killer slug to avoid the hook compensation for survivors, so it could be abusable by slugger. Other than that the killer might as well tunnel or camp one survivor out to force a 3v1, and in this case once the killer down one survivor the rest two will be struggling to maintain on gens so the z% is of little use.

Overall if this goes to live it definitely will benefit my killer games but meanwhile the survivor games will be more furstrating. You must have a good mindset to come out the interesting idea but once again those abusable actions I mentioned are same reasons I don't play survivors as much.

• Ivanynakov

Slugging would be really bad option for Killer.

• In early game, if Killer slugs and camps slugged player, other 3 Survivors have free generators. If Killer doesn't camp, Survivor will be picked up soon.
    • In late game, if Killer didn't kill anybody he is in losing position because 4 survivors 1gen. Just not as losing as it would be without repair speed penalty. Looking after 2/3 slugged Survivors and 3 last gens is pretty difficult and risky.

With fair and balanced numbers for x,y,z, repair speed mechanics would mainly just make less one-sided games and more balance and tense once.

• Nash

Slug is a very strong strategy to apply massive pressure then snowballing to it. By definition, slugging is to down one survivor bleeding on the floor then chase another survivor, it could be a second down or a hit then the killer will go back and forth trying to get more survivors involved. It's not as effective against SWFs or very coorperated teams but is very powerful versing solo queue and especially at the start of the match. What I mean is with the x%, survivors will be punished from the proper counter play of slugging otherwise they go for the rescue then suffer more pressure from the slugging.

• Ivanynakov

I see what you are saying and it makes sense. Hooking people will make potential penalty disappear. Tunneling players is punishing. Because if you are winning by objectives, late game becomes punishing to you. So you try to avoid objectives and slow down the game in early stage.

But wouldn't be slugging without actually hooking anybody too risky for early game?

If slugging would be a huge problem, then probably devlopers could take it into consideration as well when calculating repair speed boost or penalty. But it needs a deeper though and testing IMHO

• Annso_x
    Annso_x Member Posts: 1,611
    edited July 2023

I admire the work you put into this suggestion but I just don't think it would be viable.

Killers wouldn't want to be punished for doing their objectives so slugging would become meta, and not only everyone hates slugging but BHVR hasn't been able to come up with a solution for it.

And survivors wouldn't want to be punished for doing their objectives either and it would lead to a weird strategy of 99ing gens and popping them all at once to bypass the speed penalty. Obviously this would be much easier to put in place with communications, so it would also significantly increase the gap between solo q & swf.

Finally, even without these problems the idea of a mechanic giving your opponent(s) a buff or giving yourself a nerf by advancing your objectives doesn't sound like a good idea at all.

An other much simpler and probably more viable approach would be to just put a cap on how fast generators can be done, and how fast/much they can regress.