What does "Overtuned" mean?

Options
LordGlint
LordGlint Member Posts: 7,989

I've seen this term used afew times when discussing if something should be nerfed. I feel like it's just another way of saying OP without saying OP. Am I missing something?

Comments

• LordGlint
    Options

So they are like tiers of saying "too powerful, needs nerfs"?

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,134
    Options

As others have said, I personally use "overtuned" when talking about something that is too strong, but isn't so much so that it's genuinely overpowered. Just... a bit too much as it is.

• LordGlint
    Options

So something that can wait, as opposed to something that causes people to freak on the forums and claim it'll kill the game?

• OnryosTapeRentals
    OnryosTapeRentals Member Posts: 711
    Options

To me, the difference is this:

• Overtuned means something is a little too strong. For example, a number for a perk/item/add-on is too high. Something that's overtuned is easy to fix -- just tweak the number a little.
    • Overpowered means something is much too strong and requires bigger changes.

So yeah, essentially they're just different tiers of too strong.

• LordGlint
    Options

I'm pretty sure I heard "overtuned" alot when ppl were talking about Billy and defending the overheat thing. So these people actually meant OP since they weren't suggesting a longer charge time or slower sprint?

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,333
    Options

You can use them interchangeably to a degree since anything overpowered is by its very definition overtuned. Though generally when someone says something is overtuned they usually mean that specific feature has more strength/efficiency/functionality than it needs, but isn't necessarily extremely difficult to beat or game breaking.

Proving something is overturned is a lot more difficult and subjective than proving something is overpowered. Overpowered things tend to have very obvious outsized effects on the game that. Overtuned things are strong, but not so strong that they feel out of place in scope and affect. For exampled an overtuned perk would likely be the current version of Buckle Up while an overpowered perk would be the first version of Hex Ruin.

Hex Ruin had an extremely negative effect on the game that was hard to miss and that effect could experienced no matter who used it. The only thing that contained it in any degree was that it was a hex perk and og hex spawns were turbo dog water. The current Buckle Up could be said to be overtuned due to it's combo potential.

• LordGlint
    Options

Someone in a thread labeled STBFL as overtuned, which is what got me thinking. It's a perk only used on some low or mid tier killers, so it really feels like the term is just... something to say.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,354
    Options

It's a term the devs started using. So we've been using it too. We can sound like devs.

• LordGlint
    Options

That gives off the same energy as "I say random long words so people think I'm smart", lol.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,114
    Options

Missing nothing. The intent between both is the sane.

• devotedDBDenjoyer
    devotedDBDenjoyer Member Posts: 269
    Options

bro fr really started this thread and ended up mostly complaining about other threads in the replies lmao. you're pushing people away because no one wants to argue or debate or agree with you on completely irrelevant subjects to the thread, mate, they really just wanted to help you have your question answered.

• JawsIsTheNextKiller
    JawsIsTheNextKiller Member Posts: 3,354
    Options

Agreed. And I also offer you my most enthusiastic contrafibularities.

• LordGlint
    Options

And I'm discussing. I'm also getting multiple responses.

• Sharby
    Sharby Member Posts: 498
    Options

Wesker is overtuned, Blight and Nurse are OP.

Hope this helps.

• LordGlint
    Options

So like Op means needs rework while overtuned means number tweaks will do?

That's what some others were saying, which now I'm thinking these particular killers.

• Sharby
    Options

I would say OP means a full nerf with 0 readjustment or compensation. But in Wesker's case a slight nerf with some compensation elsewhere would do.

That's just my definition though, I'm sure it changes from person to person.

• LordGlint
    Options

What do you think should be nerfed on Wesker? Usually when ppl suggest a Wesker nerf, they don't really say anything in particular and alot of the ppl suggesting are just hoping he gets less popular because they don't want to face him so much. Do you think his dash goes too far? Recharges too fast? Does his increased TR offer him too much of a bonus, even though it was meant as a drawback?

• Sharby
    Options

-Infection Cleansed when put on hook

-Reduced Stagger when being thrown into objects

-Bigger recoil when missing dashes, though not by much

They can buff him elsewhere, but these are the changes I'd like to see to reduce his tunnel abilities and to raise his skill-floor. They already put in the grabbing over vaults/pallets which was another change I wanted, so we're off to a good start.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,255
    Options

overtuned means that the mechanic is fine but the numbers are too big on it.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,334
    Options

Overtuned mostly implies overpowered. However, I use the term overtuned to describe something that is only off in numbers and not by design.

For example I consider Blight as overtuned but not broken by design while I see Nurse as straight up overpowered. I can't see a way for her to keep her power the way it is and only modify numbers as a way to balance her.

• ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,660
    edited August 2023
    Options

It seems like this is talked about a lot in other communities after giving it a google to see what the textbook definition was.

Anyway, I think examples are the best way to show how I personally view the word since people seem to use it very differently. I do think OP goes hand in hand with it but is itself different.

For me overturned is something that is a bit too much in the number/mechanic department but not necessarily strong. While OP is something that is too strong because of a number or mechanic.

As an example, let's take Wraith's blind warrior add-on that inflicts blindness for 60 seconds. Let's buff it to 10 minutes and now it would be way way overtuned but not OP. The number is simply way too high and would need to be toned down.

Now we have something like Tombstone Piece on Myers. This add-on is rather OP as it let's you kill someone for little cost. If you were to increase the stalk cost the add-on would never become overtuned, it would simply cease being OP at a certain point. You could also say the same of old Iri head.

Then we have something like 3-gen Merchant. She's not OP as it's very much a beatable strategy but is instead overtuned as it shouldn't take 30+ minutes to win for either side. You could however say her ability to make people DC is in fact OP.

New Sadoko is an example of something I would consider both overtuned and OP. Her ability to kill you for so little investment is rather OP while her teleport is overtuned since you can use it often and it gives stacks to the entire team.

Just a few examples I came up with off the top of my head and is very much opinion based.

• Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 684
    Options

Lol, they could change the names on the HUD from white to very light grey and someone, somewhere, will come to the forums freaking out, claiming they quit and it will kill the game.

• LordGlint
    Options

I feel like some of those changes have glaring flaws. If infection is cleansed off hook for example, the infection has very little use. You would have to infect someone, then leave them to give them any reason to look for the spray.

The stagger after missing would basically prevent Wesker from using his dash for map traversal. That's basically the reason ppl don't use Demogorgon's shred to get around. Demo has portals though, where Wesker is just using the dash.

• LordGlint
    Options

I feel like Sadako players might be strongly skewing ppls perception simply because alot of them are spamming her iri addon. USUALLY while holding a tape. You're shown the auras of every TV. You can make a mental note of them for future use, while also keeping an eye on the closest ones to know when Sadako is using them.

The Iri tape isn't just making you run far, but also robbing you of very helpful info. Without that addon, I can basically keep track of everywhere she teleports to.

• versacefeng
    versacefeng Member Posts: 1,084
    Options

Overtuned = Old Toolboxes

Overpowered = Old BNPS.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,790
    edited August 2023
    Options

I assume they're saying something just needs some fine tuning. Like it's almost right/balanced, it just needs a bit of adjusting.

• ShinobuSK
    ShinobuSK Member Posts: 5,279
    Options

Means too strong

• BlightedDolphin
    BlightedDolphin Member Posts: 1,678
    Options

From my understanding, it’s just a “soft” overpowered term. Something that is slightly too powerful and could be changed, but if it isn’t it’s not really an issue

Overtuned = bit too strong but not a problem and not causing any major balance issues. Game plays similarly to how it would without it, but a bit easier. (e.g, Base kit Blight, pre nerf Prove Thyself, maybe Made For This)

Overpowered = too strong and needs to be adjusted, causes major balance issues and you can win games simply because of it, but the game is still playable against it (e.g, Blight’s add ons, OG Dead Hard)

Broken = needs nerfing ASAP as it completely changes the game around it, makes gameplay aspects impossible to use (OG Mettle of Man)

I disagree with everyone saying it’s numbers based, otherwise Mother Daughter Ring would have been “overtuned” and not “overpowered”.

• CatnipLove
    CatnipLove Member Posts: 1,006
    Options

I'm old school. To me, broken means SF2 Akuma or SF3 Gill. I'd probably use overtuned and OP interchangeably for things that are too strong and need nerfing to some degree.

• ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,660
    Options

Honestly, yeah probably. I believe every game I've played against her has been with Iri tape, comb or some other add-on, that and people dc the moment they see her so it's just me and the bots.

I don't think I've had a single "normal" game against her so it's certainly harder to judge then I'd like.

• LordGlint
    Options

I had 3 games against her back to back and somehow managed to not get the iri tape. I'm also not a high MMR survivor though, so the ppl I was facing probably don't have a stockpile. All and all, the games were pretty chill, even the one on an indoor map.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,807
    Options

I've always equated "overtuned" to being too much was done to it; not necessarily making it too strong, but trying too hard to refine it and breaking it in the process. This could be making to powerful, or too weak. Just over cooked.

• Sharby
    Options

The use is that it hard-caps how long a chase can be, having to do four mini-games after being unhooked (heal/Plaything/mend/cleanse) is way too much and leaves the Survivor way too vulnerable to being tunneled.

Blight and Nurse both get a hefty stagger even when using their powers to traverse the map I don't see why Wesker is exempt, either that or make the first dash longer but the second one shorter so its primary use is in chase, though it would mess a lot of people up so most likely never happening this late into his release.

The reason Wesker is so popular is because his strength compared to his non-existent skillfloor is really egregious, I would like to see that gap reduced substantially so he's not the obvious pick for anyone noob at killer that wants free wins, but not at the cost of reducing his effectiveness for those who actually took the time to master him and play him well at harder skill-brackets.

• LordGlint
    Options

Blight's dash allows him to travel across the map before going through his stagger, so it's not really comparable. As for Nurse... her map traversal is actually just slightly better than a normal 115% killer walking. She DOES have it nice for not having to find stairs for maps with multiple floors.

• Chadku
    Chadku Member Posts: 729
    Options

Overtuned was something like Wraith's uncloak lunge back then when he kept his cloak speed for 1.25s

After his general buffs of true invisibility (can't see his cloak after 20m) and basekit Windstorm, the devs decided that having 1.25s was "a wee bit OP"

Now it's back at 1s of keeping cloak speed.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941
    Options

I always thought "overtuned" meant something that has way too many uses, see MFT. I come from LoL so usually that terminology was used on champions whose abilities where whole paragraph's and they had some unique mechanics for weird/specific interactions cases. So to me that's what overtuned means. Something that has a main use while at the same time doing quite a few smaller things on separate categories.