If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

how long did it take you to "master" the game?

Options

almost every average player that i play with always have around 2k hours in DBD, which is...A LOT, in my opinion, and it makes me feel like a total baby-player at this game because of having only around 660+ hours, which is REALLY little compared to most of the players i match up with; not a small amount of them also have around 4k-9k, like damn have you ever seen grass? i know that this game's old enough but is it really possible to spend THAT much time on just one game?

jokes aside, and onto the main point...when did you become a "God" at this game? such as being able to get chased for almost the whole match, master going against every killer and their different abilities, looping, predicting, etc etc. and yes, hours DO make you better and better at this game; bit by bit you get used to it within every match, it's logical. i saw people say that having just under 1k hours doesn't make you an "expert" and i agree, i'm not one of them but i'm still able to play normally and win most chases; so i wouldn't say i'm too bad either.

i'd totally love to hear your experiences with a lot of hours and how much it has impacted your skills.

Comments

• Moonras2
    Moonras2 Member Posts: 256
    edited August 2023
    Options

Little over 3k hours and I am no where near good at it. I've played against higher hour people who weren't quite as good as me, or maybe just had a bad game, and I've played against people with fewer hours who just demolished me. It just depends on if you play for fun, to win, to get better, etc...

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    edited August 2023
    Options

The way I explain it is we all go in and out of potato. I can, in one instance have a great chase and the killer gives up to pressure elsewhere, then get caught completely lacking, run into a wall, just die.

Players never hold onto greatness consistently. In. Out.

But earnestly, I feel I came to grips with this game around 1,000 hours in. I’m at 6,500 today and that does not include my time on Playstation.

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,069
    Options

3,4K hours and have not mastered either side. I still go sometimes down quickly and sometimes loop killer whole game. To master survivor I think you need competive mindset and memorize every map and pathing. Don't use windows of opportunity it just holds you back actually learning the loops and getting good.

• catslayer
    catslayer Member Posts: 147
    Options

i mostly agree; most of the time it depends on "luck" & smallest mistakes. as you said, there are those random unlucky times whenever i bump into a wall while getting chased and get down because of it; literally the smallest decision you make decides whether you'll "win" or not. but of course, at the same time putting time into training helps too.

• catslayer
    catslayer Member Posts: 147
    Options

WoO is my 1st to go perk...not sure whether i wanna remove it since it really helps in most situations but at the same time i wanna get better in a "fair" way as you said.

• DudelPuma
    DudelPuma Member Posts: 329
    Options

doing gens and drop pallets (i dosent die in 10secs) 100+ hrs, means better then 95% of dbd community sadge

learn all stuff in dbd and being a rly good player ? 5k+ hrs!

• Deathstroke
    Deathstroke Member Posts: 3,069
    Options

Yeah I have used WoO always... and when I take it off I don't know where pallet's are anymore. It becomes must have perk. Basically im boosted survivor with it. You could take it off for few games see how it goes maybe put offering on map you think you know pretty well.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,489
    Options

I play on ps4 so no idea how many hours... I have not mastered this game

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,360
    Options

It's different for everyone but generally I only see good players at above 3K hours.

Again, it's completely possible that there are exceptions, this is just a generalization.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,553
    Options

I'm at about 1400 hours and I'd say I'm intermediate. I can hold my own in general. Sometimes I have tougher opponents and I feel like a new player all over again.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,553
    Options

I've been playing for a few years and only started using WoO several months ago. Never touched it before that, but solo queue can be so bad at times that I'll now take any help I can get but I find its made me a bit lazy. When I didn't use it, I was much more aware of my surroundings/tiles and I'd mentally plan my route for when the killer would approach. WoO kind of eliminates that awareness.

It can be a hindrance in the wrong hands too, so it kind of sucks that it's so popular. I've had team mates use it and just burn through so many pallets in one chase. Had a Pig game the other day where everyone was dead with 2 gens to go and I don't think there was a single pallet left on the map thanks to this Nea with WoO. I ran around the map in absolute amazement. Too many people think it doesn't have a downside but it absolutely does.

• solarjin1
    solarjin1 Member Posts: 1,722
    Options

The people who say this type stuff are usually humble demons at the game

• SirCracken
    SirCracken Member Posts: 1,414
    Options

I'm at 5.6K hours currently. And I can safely say that there's no way to really "Master" DbD. You can only keep improving yourself.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,465
    Options

Master defiantly isn't accurate for any of us but we became good enough to threaten the average swat with every killer and be a competent teammate as survivor, both sides with theme/gimmic builds, probably around the 3.5k mark (every new killer since that mark [sans Hux] has taken us about a week or less to "master" them to this bar). Currently enjoying the carnage and chaos with 4240 hrs.

• Pepsidot
    Pepsidot Member Posts: 1,658
    edited August 2023
    Options

Experience is massive in DBD. Practising looping or trying to master certain killers only gets you so far.

So for example at a few thousand hours you'll likely have gone against a killer acting oddly - not really leaving the hook but staying semi-close. And they turned out to have Devour Hope. Your first experience of that you might not have thought anything of it, but now you've experienced that situation you can recognize it when it happens again. You'll anticipate it.

Another example is The Artist not hitting you when you're getting crows off. In the moment you'd think it's weird, but would probably get the crows off you right? Big mistake, she has the exposed addon and you're now downed. You'll remember that next time and not get rid of the crows if she's acting this way again.

Experience will tell you NOT to hug certain parts of the shack wall of Dead Dawg, because you'll get stuck.

Other things experience will allow you to do is look behind you more in chase as you know the tile loops so well you simply pay more attention to what the killer is doing rather than what you're looping or where you're going. Because you already know in the back of your mind how to smoothly loop the tile and where to go next.

So what I'm trying to say is is that experience means a lot in this game. You improve A LOT from experience. And from perks, to addons, to killer powers or even bugs, there's a lot to experience before you know what to expect - so that nothing is a surprise. The game is ever changing - even at 8k hours I adapt to things, like new killers, addons and perks that are released, reworked or buffed etc. For example I'm now adapting to the fact that pain resonance can't really be reacted to and mitigated in the same way it could be before the last update.

I'd say you need about 3-4k hours of experience whilst actually trying to improve to be really good at the game - as survivor. As killer it depends if you main a certain killer, or not.

Post edited by Pepsidot on
  • ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,650
    Options

I'm a bit over 2k hours and I'm very hit and miss with my survivor skill. Sometimes things click and I can run the killer for multiple gens or make a big brain play. Other times I have three bad chases and die almost instantly or make a dumb game losing mistake.

I don't think I'll ever get much better then what I am now because I don't really try to learn higher level play. I just go in and do whatever to have some fun.

Game knowledge wise I try to keep up with what many of the popular perks/add-ons do to not get caught offguard.

Killer wise I don't really try all that often and generally just mess around so I'm very average to below average in that department.

So as far as mastering the game goes, I'm not even a little bit close and I don't think I'll ever be no matter the amount of hours I put in.

• Nirgendwohin
    Nirgendwohin Member Posts: 1,251
    Options
    • 1000 hours to feel like i can do something as survivor and not be the killers pet
    • 2000 hours to know what i did wrong but still a lot of mistakes on my side
    • 3000+ hours to flatten out the mistakes and start to do meta play as survivor

... sometimes still going down in less than 20 seconds and being impressed by the gameplay of 10.000+ hours survivors

• thisislastyearsmodel
    thisislastyearsmodel Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 636
    Options

I felt pretty confident about a year ago. I played about 5 killers really well, and about 5 more decently...

Then I took a year break and now I'm relearning everything, along with new maps, new perks, new vaults, killer buffs/nerfs, survivor buffs/nerfs... :')

• I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,121
    edited August 2023
    Options

3000 hours is the point where I got significantly better. I have around 3500 atm. Insane survivors usually have 5000+ in my experience.