We deployed a fix to solve an issue preventing players from unhooking, healing or picking up Survivors. Players will need to reboot to see the change reflected in-game. Thank you for your patience!

Do you judge players based off skins?

Gamzello
Gamzello Member Posts: 828
edited March 2019 in General Discussions

Aside from Claudette, do you judge certain players based off their skins? I notice times when I used to have my P3 skin for my Dwight killers dodged the lobby.

Or even when I'm wearing clothes that don't match at all killers still dodge (probably thinking I'm a troll) but I just like the way they look like that. It's funny to me.

Comments

• ABannedCat
    ABannedCat Member Posts: 2,529

People who use extravagant or bright clothing are almost always people who seek to be seen. They are not always good, but they like to get into chases. I am definetely judging that. Especially if its a Dwight. I usually think Nea's are toxic and/or sole survivors, and I am rarely disappointed.

• ClogWench
    ClogWench Member Posts: 2,582

When I was just a baby killer main I'd avoid full P3 lobbies. Not anymore cause prestige is meaningless to me now but back then I always felt they were the ones that were gonna bully me.

• Boss
    Boss Member Posts: 13,614

No.

But what i do know is, if a player has an anime/manga/hentai picture as their Steam profile picture, that's someone VERY good.

• HatCreature
    HatCreature Member Posts: 3,298

Rainbow Meg--troll

Ace---jackass

90's Jake---loser git gud

P3 Claudette--I love a challenge

Quinten---mediocre

Zebra Pants Nea/Pink Hair Nea---your pants are disgusting/wannabe troll

Other than them I have no opinions based off appearance.

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688

Yup. This type of Nea = DS confirmed. Good chance of flashlight and tbagging too.

• Incirion
    Incirion Member Posts: 612

Typically, anyone who has spent actual money (auric cells) on their cosmetics is either very good at the game, or very bad. They're also the most likely to rage quit if they're the first one you catch.

• Yamaoka
    Yamaoka Member Posts: 4,321
    edited March 2019

People who spend a lot of time playing a certain game usually become good at said game.

Spending a lot of time in a game also causes the random skins to become boring at some point leading to the desire to unlock event- or store skins.

Result: People who wear event skins or store stuff are more likely to be experienced/good players but as many things it's not guaranteed. There's loads of ridiculously bad players who wear the fanciest and brightest clothings.

Personally I don't focus too much on what survivor people choose or what clothes they wear. I won't lobby dodge just because of p3 claudettes.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

If it's quadruplets I know they're running gen rush perks, will be clustered together, and are asking me to tunnel to the best of my ability.

• GrootDude
    GrootDude Member Posts: 14,110

Shirtless David=most toxic looper with DS ever

ninja Nea or with her street set jacket= DS and probably toxic

blendette/p3 Claudette= stealth player and possible loop god

Default Dwight will go down in 5 seconds

• PhantomMask20763
    PhantomMask20763 Member Posts: 5,176

No

• mintchapstick
    mintchapstick Member Posts: 891

Bright hair Feng & Bright hair Nea = DS, going to chase killer around & bodyblock

Plaid Skirt Nea - Inoffensive, trying her hardest to not be seen while being a good teammate.

Claudettes with the green shirt/brown pants = Going to be the biggest pains in the ass in the match

Megs with expensive cosmetics = DS

Default Dwight Skin - I'm going to end up accidentally tunneling them because they'll keep accidentally running into me over and over again, when I'm not even looking for them. GO AWAY, DWIGHT, I DIDN'T WANT YOU.

Pizza Boy Dwight - Has 500+ hours into the game, probably not worth trying to chase

• Saint_Ukraine
    Saint_Ukraine Member Posts: 942

Your English is actually better than many native English speakers (even if you're only typing). Thank you, from the DbD community, for not being a toxic Nea main.

• Dragonredking
    Dragonredking Member Posts: 874
    edited March 2019

From my experience, survivor who use auric cells skins tend to be more "toxic" than other player.

More likely to dc in game and generaly more often verbaly abuse the killer or other survivor.

Can't really talk about killers because they generaly leave the post game chat without saying anything.

• Nikkiwhat
    Nikkiwhat Member Posts: 1,378

Heyyyy, as a Nea survivor main in the Harajuku outfit, I'm not toxic xD

• shinymon
    shinymon Member Posts: 298

I know some killers have deliberately spared me for being shirtless David for sure.

• Mr_Myers
    Mr_Myers Member Posts: 422

If Claudette is wearing prestige 3 you know they're trying to be toxic. I judge off that mainly, cosmetics are just cosmetics

• Deltin
    Deltin Member Posts: 240

Claudette wearing dark clothes = "Doing gens, you?"

Meg wearing light clothing = "I'm gonna make your game hell"

P-3 any killer = "I'm so good, i'm gonna 4k y'all"

• se05239
    se05239 Member Posts: 3,919

Definitely. P3 survivors only do generators and extra colorful survivors tend to be the type that clicks flashlights and teabags at every occasion.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,614

I don't usually dodge clothes unless there are a SWF of two or more spawning with flashy/auric clothes, in that case I dodge, the chance of being a toxic SWF is 95%.

• NoShinyPony
    NoShinyPony Member Posts: 4,570

No. Prestige clothes also don't mean that the player is skilled since you can get these pretty quickly.

• Laakeri
    Laakeri Member Posts: 835

People with exclusives and legacy prestige tend to be toxic. Normal shop and prestige clothes are fine.

• PiiFree
    PiiFree Member Posts: 1,154

Yes I do

• BACKSTABBER
    BACKSTABBER Member Posts: 1,809
    edited March 2019

Yes, totally

A Laurie or Bill with toolbox are going to be mostly a labourers doing genrushing

A Dwight or Nea with certain clothes and a flash light: toxic trolls

Blooded P3 skins may mean they are pros, specially when they swap P3 chars on purpose

etc

• Jesp
    Jesp Member Posts: 192
    edited March 2019

P3 Claudettes are well aware of the power they have, they WILL try to just crouch in a corner and it'll probably work as often as it doesn't.

Nea in general is a gamble. Either gonna chase the killer with empathy and a flashlight, or urban evade in a corner while 3 people are slugged. 99% guaranteed to have Balanced Landing though.

This one is weird, but if a Quentin brings a medkit it's like a 75% chance it's an instaheal of some sort. No idea why, but it's weirdly enough a thing in my experience.

Legacy Hillbillies are usually bored to tears by the usual tuning guide + primer bulb/thompson mix combo, they often run turning addons and chainsaw you by swinging around loops, hitting you when you thought it was impossible in my experience.

Wolf mask Huntresses seem more likely to fall victim to the "huntress rage" pitfall where they miss all their hatchets and keep chasing for several gens, then (face)camp the survivor when they eventually catch them.

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

I don't pay attention to it really since some with P3 or bright outfits are horribly bad like potato level and others are swat team level.

The only ones that I pay close attention do and still won't ever dodge are the Legacy Jakes, when I get 3 in my lobby It's a handful.

• HazeHound
    HazeHound Member Posts: 814
    edited March 2019

Ofc we all do. If someone spends real money or shards this indicates they are most likely playing the game very often and through raw experience will be bigger challenge. If you asked if I assume toxicity by skin - no (with exception of Sheriff Jake). If they bm and use old ds - camp, all others get normal non-tunnel gameplay (given they don't farm each others, if someone is making huge mistake i will exploit this weakness).

Edit: You guys do realise survivors are all the same and Nea or Dwight mains are just memes right?

Edit2: Prestige means nothing really. But if you see someone last second switch to p3 Claudette its 90% sure they will try to be toxic and will most likely fail at it bcoz they watched too much ochido who is medicore at best...

• SlothGirly
    SlothGirly Member Posts: 1,146

Nea- trash,

Dwight p3- annoying,

Ace- Tru3 wannabe,

Meg high top- toxic

thats about it for me.

• Lagoni
    Lagoni Member Posts: 180

@Gamzello

There are 3 other players than you, so it might not be you that the killer is dodging.

Most of the time people dodge because of bad/unstable ping between players or suspected SWF (if 4 people join at the exact same time).

Generally I expect people who are wearing flamboyant clothing to be better at the game, which is not a reason to dodge IMO.

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 16,014

Cosmetics should not go into account. For Nea I am either wearing her P3-Head or the Pink Hair-Head, but I am not toxic or using DS. I rarely use Flashlights, but this is either to farm some BPs or to try to do Flashlight Saves. Which usually does not work, because I am really bad at it.

I had a game yesterday were a default Adam was the toxic one... Went to one of the best loops in the game and T-Bags me so that I chase him there. When I downed him, he DCed. Yeah, gj Dude.

btw. another aspect of Pink Haired-Nea: It is one of the few decent Head Cosmetics...Her Head Cosmetics look aweful, so this might be a reason why people are using it.

• The_Crusader
    The_Crusader Member Posts: 3,688

I'm sure there are some good ones, and it's always a nice surprise to see one. Howver the pink hair cosmetic gets a bad rep because an overwhelming number of toxic players use it. Highly likely that a lot are noob3 fans and if you check their profile most are in the noob3 steam group.

• Rex_Huin
    Rex_Huin Member Posts: 1,208

Both pizza Dwights I have played so far have been impossible to catch!

I fear Dwight's generally but this is a whole new level.

• xmenfanatic
    xmenfanatic Member Posts: 816

Most people do and it’s irrational since any character can have any perk and be played in any fashion,

• Orion
    Orion Member Posts: 21,675

It's not irrational so much as it is expected behavior based on prior experiences.

• Gorgonia
    Gorgonia Member Posts: 1,607

I combine clothes to make my characters look good. I know it sometimes ends up being to flashy and might give me away, but I don’t care. It’s all about aesthetics sometimes. Besides Claudette and her stealth camo, I don’t see how you can guess someone’s attitude based on their clothes. You dress the way you like, not for a purpose. (Unless pixel girls with little to no clothes on a game turn you own and the survivors know that and do it on purpose to gain an advantage hah)

• pemberley
    pemberley Member Posts: 1,510

My spidey sense goes off when I see bald Dwight. He is literally the devil. Megs that are bright and stylish will bodyblock me and run me for a loop. Bloody Lauries know what they’re doing. Claudettes with p3 or camo with the short or dreadlocks hair will give me a headache and/or screw fellow survivors over by waiting for the hatch.

That being said, I am average at best, and I style my survivors to look good. I love 90s Meg and I know I look brighter than a Christmas tree but she looks so cute. Same with shirtless David. I am also terrible at chases so I do try to wear clothes that keep me relatively hidden, but I never try to be toxic.

• xStansfield
    xStansfield Member Posts: 17

I do, mainly when someone replicates the outfit of some YouTuber known for playing Survivor and "bullying" Killers, which is a surefire way to know you're going to face some kid thinking he's as good as the player he imitates (they're often not)

• Papayarng
    Papayarng Member Posts: 73

Honestly skins mean nothing [unless its P3 which just means that they use that character alot] and even flashlights rarely mean much.

For example when i was getting my nea to P3 i used my flashlights as soon as i got them because i knew they would dissapear when i pretiged, i wasn't toxic with them and only used them for flashlight saves/lightbur/hag traps or getting another survivors attention.

• DBD_Pinhead
    DBD_Pinhead Member Posts: 763

Outside of Claudettes, which I've already posted about, Aces kind of are a bunch of jerks lol.

• EvilJoshy
    EvilJoshy Member Posts: 5,295

If I see someone in a legacy skin I assume it's a hacker. Most of the people who actually earned those don't play anymore.