The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Any hot takes?

Livion
Livion Member Posts: 162
edited August 2023 in General Discussions

I just wanted to hear the communities hot takes on the game in general, but with hot takes I mean HOT takes something that will make all of us pray for you to not get on the dev team

Comments

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,308
    edited August 2023

Seven hot takes... Seven hot takes is all I can spare for you.

1. SWF should be removed from the game. It's too strong and breaks the core design of DBD.
    2. MFT is fine, you're just being outplayed because it highlights skill issue. In fact, it's not good enough to even sniff the meta and it does not require any changes whatsoever. Hyperfocus, Resilience, and Distortion are all infinitely better perks and more meta by comparison. Better than SB? Ha! Don't make me laugh. Crunch all the numbers you want nerds, It is still inferior when it comes to real world gameplay, outclassed by several other perks that aren't even top 10, and really nothing more than the new shiny toy. Its luster will wear off once people see it doesn't live up to the hype. Another overhyped perk the community got wrong like so many others.
    3. Skull Merchant is the best-designed killer in the game and we need more killers like her
    4. Dead Hard changes should be reverted so player can gain distance
    5. The game was much more fun in 2017/2018 and that's not nostalgia
    6. Comp DBD is still a joke
    7. Pig's crouch should change her movement speed to 4.4 m/s instead of 3.6 m/s

Pray 4 me

Post edited by Nun_So_Vile on
  • I_CAME
    I_CAME Member Posts: 1,231

Killer is laughably easy at the moment due to the non existent matchmaking. Anyone who is consistently losing is suffering from a major skill issue.

• Moonras2
    Moonras2 Member Posts: 372

Sometimes I love this so much in Mario Kart and other times I want to throw the controller lol. Sounds like it would fit this game just fine as I already feel this way in DBD some days.

• Ryuhi
    Ryuhi Member Posts: 3,733

it doesnt need to be rng, preferably things like a buff that applies as people die/gens pop that has a reasonable impact with considerations to prevent abuse. Just some things to keep the game realistic if someone quits/gets tunnelled out and/or 3 gens pop in the first 90 seconds.

• biggybiggybiggens
    biggybiggybiggens Member Posts: 659

I agree with the ideas of this game, but I disagree with the actual ideas behind it.

• versacefeng
    versacefeng Member Posts: 1,131
    edited August 2023

Skull Merchant’s lore isn’t as bad as it’s made out to be and her tome helped it be that way. Yea it’s still not that great and definitely isn’t the best, but most people that are saying it sucks don’t even care for/read dbd lore and are just regurgitating what other people say.

Post edited by versacefeng on
  • Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,308
    edited August 2023

😅. SM Haters reading that post (who don't understand her deep and mechanical complexity, perfect balance for killer, counters, and digest Team ItDoesn'tMatter propaganda videos aimed to smear Adriana's good name and upstanding reputation) Be Like:

• FoolyCooly
    FoolyCooly Member Posts: 21

Wesker is like at the bottom of A tier and nowhere near top 5. Power that gets stuck on more and more stuff with current map design and his techs are too situational, high risk and inconsistent on most loops. Strong killer yeah but hes not better than killers like pyramid head, artist, or plague

• Hex_iButt
    Hex_iButt Member Posts: 233

I'm of the mindset that DBD has a lot going for it to bring back old players, but is not new player friendly at all.

Even though we got general tutorials for the game basics, there's no "advanced" tutorials to explain concepts such as basic looping/evasion, facing/using killer powers, items, etc. Thankfully you can use customs as killer as bots as a testing ground of sorts, but that only takes you so far.

Iri Shards are also pretty abysmal to grind up unless you dedicate a lot of time to play everyday; whether you're looking at cosmetics or other characters to purchase, you're basically incentivized more to drop a couple of dollars for cosmetics or characters just for their perks.

It's really hard to get friends into this game when you have to tell them that DBD is a way bigger investment than some people may think.

• ohheyitsbobcat
    ohheyitsbobcat Member Posts: 1,707
    edited August 2023

Spasmodic Breath (60 sec of normal mov. speed after blink hit but can no longer blink) should be basekit on Nurse and that's the only nerf she needs to be okay.

It keeps her kit basically the same, all add-ons can still be used, she's still strong but now has a weakness. Other perks she couldn't use now have a reason to be used on her and she won't be complained about nearly as much.

• TheWarNung
    TheWarNung Member Posts: 794

Boil Over is a gawdawful perk that needs to be nerfed into oblivion, and I frequently compare it to the survivor version of NOED (bear with me on this one).

Both perks can occasionally give you massive, potentially game-breaking value simply because you can't do your only job. For killers it's obviously holding the gens, and we've all seen plenty of killers who win matches by camping and tunneling then sweeping up with NOED. With survivors who can't loop the killer well they just run to inopportune places on the map where the killer can't hook them because of horsey perk.

Also hot take: Billy is the worst killer in the game. His power is mostly useless but it's so enticing to get those sweet chainsaws that Billy players keep trying to do it even when M1 hits would be way easier.

• SamuraiDragon27
    SamuraiDragon27 Member Posts: 105

DBD meta is not as constricting as some people make it out to be, and the game is pretty balanced with a few exceptions. As someone who has played overwatch for years, this game’s meta is nowhere near as defined as OWs. You can still run off-meta and win 9/10 of your matches just based on skill and game knowledge alone.

• BrightWolf
    BrightWolf Member Posts: 429

Found this out the hard way, I was the only one on my team against new Sadako doing tapes, guess who was the only person to die on hook instead of being condemned moried that game? (she out juiced me because of the short cooldown on teleport). I wasn't mad, just a little disappointed.

• thisislastyearsmodel
    thisislastyearsmodel Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 636
    edited August 2023

Apparently it's a hot take to say that WoO doesn't need to be nerfed, or at least these forums would have you believe that.

My real hot take is that, as a certified Save the Best for Last user and enjoyer, the perk is unhealthy for the game but borderline necessary on M1 killers with the amount of endurance and haste perks/effects that survivors have at the moment. Playing Trapper, for example, without it is significantly harder, which is saying something because even with it Trapper still sucks LOL

Him, Clown and Piggy (maybe to a lesser extent for her) feel absolutely miserable to play right now, especially on maps that already lean towards being survivor-sided.

• Smoe
    Smoe Member Posts: 2,836

Streamer's opinion on balance is only as valid as the average player and should not be treated as more important.

Streamer fanboys and sheeples do not deserve to be taken serious in any capacity when it comes to balancing of the game.

Wesker and Legion's chase music should be replaced by something that sounds like actual chase music and Deathslinger's chase music should be shortened.

Dbd has the highest chance of dying if bhvr ends up becoming a public company when the current owner dies.

Borgo is a way better setting for a Medieval map than a Castle map would ever be.

Nemesis does not need anything other than a QOL pass for his addons.

These are just off the top of my head

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941
    edited August 2023

M1 killers are boring to play as and against and I don't think they need buffs because they're braindead easy and basekit buffs would probably make them OP.

Brightness add-ons should become relevant again for Flashlights and maybe allow you to blind through cracks or something similar. At the moment they are relics of the past like fog offerings.

Nerfing DH was a bad decision considering all the Endurance we have right now. At least you could use Dead Hard for yourself as a solo, other perk combos like Buckle up and FTP are only good in a SWF which doesn't make any sense.

Sloppy Butcher should not persist after being hooked.

Killers can still run 3 slowdown/regression focused perks and do as well as they did, people just got too comfortable running the same build, but every game is about re-adjusting every time the meta changes.

Killer BM consists of killers focusing the obvious newbie and no one talks about it. Everytime I see it I have to be reminded of how insecure that killer must fill if they have to focus that person out. The game doesn't even have a ranked mode and the matchmaking is atrocious, relax.

Stealthy survivors can easily throw the game for their team by refusing to alleviate the pressure the killer is applying and usually are too scared to complete their gen. I'm talking about the average survivor, not the guy who has 10k and knows when to be stealthy or when to get in chase and gets a 3+ man out.

Survivors should get a re-build perk/ability for pallets or even walls. As it is right now survivors are strong in the early game and weaklings in late game and many times it's not even their fault if their teammates used up the pallets, they should have some comeback mechanics they can earn.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,197

I don't think it's smart to tailor matchmaking solely to what players think they want when they don't understand the intricacies of a matchmaking system. I wouldn't get much done at my job if we asked our customers how they thought we should solve problems and based our solutions on that. Players *think* they want the fastest queue times. Of course they're going to say that. Nobody is going to say they want a restaurant to take 30 minutes to cook their burger if given the choice. But they're going to send back a burger you barely cooked in 30 seconds. It's silly to even ask people because it sets an expectation you can't reasonably meet either way. Find the middle ground that makes the system work with reasonable queue times and roll with it.

This is exactly what BHVR have done. Players think they want close matches, but this means queue times longer than matches themselves.

Players DO want fast queue times over close matches, because close matches are sweaty matches.

When players say they want close matches, what they really want is weaker opponents.

• M1_gamer
    M1_gamer Member Posts: 346

ok here i go. tunneling and gen rushing are made up turms by saltly players who cant stand they lost. they arent real. it can get tempting to fall to the side of accusing these tatics. i nearly fell myself until i took a break and got a new perspective on the game.

• GaunterODimmDBD
    GaunterODimmDBD Member Posts: 119

Moris were fine at the time.

• JustAnotherNewbie
    JustAnotherNewbie Member Posts: 1,941

I've had fun matches even if I die/lose. It can happen but you are right that close matches are sweatfests because everyone is at the same level. Although snowballing can happen over certain mistakes but comebacks are more common as well (I'd say from the killer side though, as they have stronger come back potential in general than survivors imo).

• Moonras2
    Moonras2 Member Posts: 372

It would probably take a lot of back and forth of slight number changes to balance it out well but I'd love to see them give it a try. Whether during an event or just a PTB it'd be cool to see. It would take away a lot of the hopeless feeling when playing, for both sides.

• FreddyVoorhees
    FreddyVoorhees Member Posts: 369
    edited August 2023

I am sending Nemmy a package. Start praying.

Honestly though ... this item would be a single use rocket launcher. You could dodge it ... blast radius of 6m would down anyone if it hits a wall. Only one crate on the map.

Also the flamethrower. Small fuel tank so it would be close range but slower walking speed.

All of these would work.

• TheWarNung
    TheWarNung Member Posts: 794

Could be a fun idea for an event.

Give the only 3 remaining Twins mains an AK-47 and watch them have their greatest moment of catharsis.

• Nos37
    Nos37 Member Posts: 4,142

None from me 😑

• Komodo07
    Komodo07 Member Posts: 34

Chasing survivors all over the map is boring.

Killer design in the vein of Knight and Skull Merchant is a breath of fresh air since they break up the monotony of chases and to an extent makes it feel like you have a team of your own.

In the case of SM specifically, she also offers a playstyle that flips the script and makes survivors have to come to you to finish their objectives which is a really nice change of pace.

• kin
    kin Member Posts: 552
    edited August 2023

-Once a year, survivors would appear with "features" like killers powers, but for the survivors .. which, in other things, will sometimes only complicate the game for survivors :3.

-I would redo the trickster and the singularity (two of my most hated killers in the game).

-I would rework the customization system. allowing players to customize absolutely everything from memento, ending with what kind of headgear will be on your skin. More emotions, including for killers. A phrase wheel for survivors... that would probably be good.

-I would redo the training, because I think it's bad ...... in general, the game would become worse;)

• MikeyBoi
    MikeyBoi Member Posts: 541

This I really agree with.. I’ll even admit if I see a really sweaty looking Swf with 1000s of hrs knowingly the last time I’ve played them wasn’t fun, im just gonna dodge. Sorry I mean it just won’t be fun for me :/

• Beatricks
    Beatricks Member Posts: 857

Here are some actual hot takes:

• SoloQ should repair one less generator
    • 4 player SWF should repair one extra generator
    • Killers over the MMR softcap should not be matchmade with a group that's not a 4 player SWF over the soft cap and vice versa
  • ratcoffee
    ratcoffee Member Posts: 1,351

i think it's funny when i get intentionally sandbagged (so long as it only happens once a day or so)

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167

Most killers on the roster are not oppressive enough to incentivize survivors to utilize stealth as a primary tactic.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,717

new sadako is fine, and trapper is super boring and annoying to face. blight, oni and wesker flicks and other "techs" should be embraced and acknowledged as features, they add extra depth and deserved strength to the killers since they are rather hard to execute.

• Zokenay
    Zokenay Member Posts: 1,158

Hope should be 5%

Adrenaline shouldnt heal after being unhooked.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,607

The Skull Merchant's core design is not only not a failure, it's one of the best core designs we've ever had.

Note that I say core design here, not live balance. The version we have is both obviously problematic and too weak to reach anything even close to its full potential. But, with 3-gens addressed and some number changes (+ some moderate adjustments outside that, but nothing too huge), the Skull Merchant would be one of the most versatile and interesting killers we've ever had.

• Justa335i
    Justa335i Member Posts: 224

Iridescent Killer Addons should light a hex totem, and are removed once destroyed. Tombstone Myers, Pinky Finger Clown, All Seeing Wraith, etc. are more powerful than most Hex perks, and should have the same treatment.

The Shrine of Secrets should be deleted and reworked so it is a place to "cash out" bad items/add-ons for better ones. Like 3 brown medkits for 1 yellow medkit, 3 green keys for 1 purple key, etc. Maybe have 3-5 trades that change weekly for both killer and survivor.

The exit gates should automatically be powered 45 minutes into the game. The entity is disappointed in you for guarding a 3 gen and not sacrificing the survivors to them.

P100 Killer / Survivor should get the base skin with an crimson or deep rift blue colors incorporated.

Hex totems should be blocked for 2 minutes from the start of the game so they cant be insta-cleansed by survivors.

Survivors should have an in game chat. "That will make solo queue too strong". Really? Its better that we all invite each other to a party in the pregame lobby? Same thing, just stupid.

Killers should see the hook states of each survivor. There is no point to making them "remember". Is it easy? Yeah, but when im playing nice and just going for 8 hooks; i feel bad when accidentally i sacrifice a survivor that i thought wasnt hooked yet or only hooked once. "This will be abused!!!" Yeah, so its abusive when people count?

Thats all i got. Now rip me apart :)

• FilthyLegionRevival
    FilthyLegionRevival Member Posts: 313

Legion should be able to spend their entire power gauge to vault over a pallet or window as if they were in frenzy in the normal m1 mode.

• Xxjwaynexx
    Xxjwaynexx Member Posts: 301

Im a die hard nurse main and I'd advocate for this or matchbox being basekit, matchbox makes blinking more skillful since you don't have the follow up blink to correct mistakes.

• Evan_
    Evan_ Member Posts: 542

Strange, I see it completely the other way around!

But it's cool, it's a Hot Takes thread afterall.

• biggybiggybiggens
    biggybiggybiggens Member Posts: 659

I approve of this idea. Anyone saying this couldn't work period has a very limited imagination tbh.

• Tatariu
    Tatariu Member Posts: 3,068

Legion's ability to chain together hits is absolutely laughable in the base-kit and they would greatly benefit from 6m/s base-kit Frenzy speed (with add-on changes in accordance).