I thought That DbD can distinct a DC and Server Error

Options
Dipper
Dipper Member Posts: 149

I played some DbD. On my side everything was fine. Youtube loaded, no internet connectivity problems at all. Only DbD couldn't really connect. Then I get the error that the servers are unresponsive and it seems that everyone crashed:

Then again I was still banned for a "DC" that I didn't do

And unrelated to the "You had to DC 6 times before for that, sit it out", that's not how it works. I get bans for DCs, I don't get bans for clear server errors

Comments

• Aven_Fallen
    Aven_Fallen Member Posts: 15,557
    Options

Did you DC manually before? If yes, then you maybe should not do that because then, in case it is out of your control, the penalty would not be that high. The penalty starts low for a reason to not punish people too much if they get DCed by the game, Steam Maintenance or similar things.

If they DC a lot in their games and then get a high penalty to something unrelated to them, it is still their fault if they have a high penalty when the DCs before that were manually...

• Dipper
    Options

I know, but I was told before that the system knows when someone DCs and when the Servers are at fault. Apparently that's not the case. I just find it weird to say "Server did an oopsie, well just sit it out". It's like saying "Oh you did these crimes before, now you are innocent. But hey, just sit it out"

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,424
    Options

As far as I know they cannot differentiate between connection issues and players manually leaving, and the DC penalty system treats them all the same.

I certainly have been tossed from a match and not gotten the penalty a few times, but most times I do.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,096
    edited August 2023
    Options

If their server or the game engine doesn't have a built in failure/crash detection and report system implemented, then no, they can't physically differentiate between an intentional or accidental connection loss.

All they can see is the loss of connection/stop of data transfered and have to treat it accordingly.

• Shroompy
    Shroompy Member Posts: 6,280
    Options

No they arent able to tell the difference. How are they supposed to tell if your internet actually went out or if you just pulled out your ethernet cable?

A good example of a game thats WAY too lenient on DCs is For Honor. Basically the only time you get a DC penalty is if you leave a game by pressing the 'Quit to Main Menu' button. This means you can just close the game and reopen it just fine and you dont suffer from any penalty. On console apparently the wait to load the game is even shorter than on PC, you can basically leave a game and be back in another in less than a minute.

• Dipper
    Options

I said they are able to see if it was a Server Error. And unlike an internet issue on my side, this was a server issue

• satx3241
    satx3241 Member Posts: 82
    Options

Someone mistakenly unplugged my router while I was in the middle of a match not too long ago. When I loaded back in it told me I had a 24 hour matchmaking ban. I thought that seemed weird since I never DC. I just rebooted my system. When everything loaded back up there was no ban. Not sure what caused the original penalty, but a reboot got rid of it for me.

• saintjimmy456
    saintjimmy456 Member Posts: 185
    Options

I guess it is just the risk you run if you consistently quit games. You might be unlucky enough that an actual connection issue disrupts the next game, and that's the one that triggers the long time out. Lesson: don't quit so much.

• Dipper
    Options

Not really, it's easy to quit 6 times if you just quit even once per day because of a bad round. Now imagine if it happens again. Then just because of internet I am banned for 48 hours, while my real DCs were only banned for 6h. That means that I get penalized 42 more hours than should be

• saintjimmy456
    saintjimmy456 Member Posts: 185
    Options

I don't see any argument against my point. Quit less, get less timeouts, however you look at it or whatever the reason for the final disconnect. End of discussion.

• Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 684
    edited August 2023
    Options

It should be able to distinguish between one person DCing/quiting vs the server going belly up and all players in the match being DC'd at the same time. This apparently isn't the case, but it should be. I know it can't tell if a player pulled the cord or legit got dropped but if everyone on the server drops at once or the game doesn't end in a natural way, that should be detectable.