If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

BHVR are trying to pull the wool over consumer eyes with the price change (Math inside)

Options
Brokenbones
Brokenbones Member Posts: 5,155
edited August 2023 in General Discussions

Just like with Nic cage, they have started forcefully bundling cosmetics in order to jack up the price on steam. This is so you are forced to buy auric cells, which were more expensive than the average DLC price on steam if you wanted both characters.

Here's some quick math to prover my point:

Average DLC (1 killer 1 survivor). price on steam: £5.49 or $7

Auric cell cost: either £3.75 x 2 (£7.5) for two 500 bundles or 7.50 for 1100 auric cells.

DLC cost with bundled cosmetics: £9.99 or $12.99.

This is NOT okay, for those who said it's still the same price - no it is not. The prices have gone UP and they are trying to pull the wool over people's eyes by bundling in content to justify it

Post edited by Brokenbones on

Comments

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    Options

If they always intended on doing an increase anyways, then they picked a really good time to Trojan Horse it in with three licenses in a row.

People are going to want to participate.

Good luck with your boycott.

• Brokenbones
    Options

There is no doubt in my mind that double character chapters are going to be more expensive as well, going forward

First it was solo character DLCS (Nic cage)

Now it's regular DLCs (1 kil 1 surv)

Not to mention the fact we have another solo character DLC coming in October. So yeah, this pattern will def hold true imo

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    Options

I bought all chapters except Nic Cage. Now i am skipping Alien too even i am so excited and hyped for it.

It's kinda imposible but hopefully Alien sells fails and people actually force them to stop this crap strategy. But i have no hope on community tho.

• bm33
    bm33 Member Posts: 8,079
    Options

Since April 2022 they've opened several new offices (Toronto, UK South, and most recently Rotterdam) as well as acquired SockMonkey studios for UK North and Midwinter Entertainment for Seattle. DBD players are basically funding BHVRs expansion.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,489
    Options

It's cheaper with auric cells.

If you don't want the extra stuff in the chapter, just buy the characters with auric cells

• rysm
    rysm Member Posts: 208
    Options

That is how business works... I don't want to spend £4 on a block of cheese but as costs go up that passes to the consumer

• wisdomwielder
    wisdomwielder Member Posts: 348
    Options

They could have done that in other ways that aren't anti-consumer gatekeeping content bullshit. They could have added more value to the game in other ways instead of FORCING you to buy a bad skin. Why aren't there custom moris? I know people would eat that crap up willingly and it would make BOATLOADS of money.

• Hex_Maidenless
    Hex_Maidenless Member Posts: 112
    Options

How is 7 bucks for a killer and a survivor in any way your idea of fair pricing?

Some of you are way too proud to be cheap.

• Alice_pbg
    Options
  • rysm
    Options

Do you literally know how economics works? So because something was one price ages ago means it needs to stay that price? What a terribly basic view of the current world. How do you know it costs that much now just because a skin was added. Do you not think they had to increase the price due to increasing costs and they're adding a skin for free to sweeten the deal a little bit? Maybe the license with the Alien folks TOLD them to make it that price, maybe they want higher cut of the proceedings. A lot of factors at play here. A lot of people are getting triggered over about £2-3 which comes around after a handful of months.

• rysm
    Options
  • rysm
    Options
  • rysm
    Options

My god. You do know buying the rights to something costs more money right? And then you need to sell it for more money right? And if day to day costs, employee wages, IT infrastructure costs etc etc are more expensive then you need to charge more right? Dude if you don't understand how the economy works just say. It'll save the embarrassment of you digging a deeper hole for yourself.

• Alice_pbg
    Options

so they can't just say "this is the price"? they need to say it before the dlc comes out for some reason?

funny... that was never the price I saw for any dlc. it was always 8$+. 5$+ for individual characters.

• Alice_pbg
    Options

fair enough. it would be nice to have a "just the characters" option. you do get a full costume that is worth 1080 auric cells. so I say the price can be justified.

• Crowman
    Crowman Member Posts: 8,858
    Options

Then don't buy the DLC if you don't think it's worth the value. No one is forcing you to purchase the DLC. BHVR can charge what they want for their DLC and if they price it too high and people don't buy it then they'll have to reduce the price.

BHVR does not need to write up a dev blog about pricing changes and make sure the community is fine with such changes ahead of time. Just don't buy the DLC.

• Skittlesthehusky
    Skittlesthehusky Member Posts: 656
    edited August 2023
    Options

one thing you seem to misunderstand is the fact that the pricing of DLCs may also be subject to change due to term agreements for the contracts that BHVR signs for in order to have permission to create the content in the first place. with that being said, they have to balance the costs and profits accordingly. they are a business at the end of the day, and the business' goal is to ensure that it brings in profit to continue to create and provide services for years to come.

you are not obligated to purchase the goods or be in agreement with these prices to continue to play the game. you are not obligated to pricing notifications as a consumer, and it is your responsibility to balance your own checkbook. if you're really that upset about a few dollars of an increase, personally write BHVR a letter for negotiation.

(edit: i forgot to mention that steam, epic games, windows store, xbox, etc. may also have agreements to fees charged for each sale of a product through their services. this is something BHVR also has to account for.)

• Crowman
    edited August 2023
    Options

You can buy the characters individually with Auric Cells. You are not required to purchased the characters via the steam store.

Post edited by Mandy on
  • Crowman
    edited August 2023
    Options

It's really not about defending it. I'm just stating that if the price of the steam bundle is too high for you, there is a cheaper option available in the in-game store. And if you still don't like that, then just don't buy the dlc.

It's a video game at the end of the day. Hardly anything in the Alien dlc is required to enjoy the game.

Post edited by Mandy on
  • RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,713
    edited August 2023
    Options

Considering the legitimate quality of this chapter, I'd say the price is fair. That being said, I hope prices aren't always high regardless of quality.

Post edited by Mandy on
  • Brokenbones
    edited August 2023
    Options

Yeah I mean speaking personally it's not that I have some kind of moral objection to paying a higher price, it's more so the fact they are being really underhanded about it by limiting consumer options (You can't buy it for the 'normal' price on steam anymore).

If it were on steam for 7.99 or whatever, I'd not have as big of an issue with it because at least it's not some weird "if you want the cheap price, you NEED to buy our currency".

Post edited by Mandy on
  • Skittlesthehusky
    Skittlesthehusky Member Posts: 656
    Options

the problem i have with this notion is that this is a common phenomenon with anything that goes up in price compared to what we are used to or is priced in a very unusual way.

i understand that individual's point, and there is nothing wrong with consumer advocacy. there is a reason as to why i outright stated that you should write BHVR a letter to negotiate this rather than solely using the forums (a place where people commonly air their negative responses to things) as a place for this sort of thing. what i was outlining was the fact that it is wrong to claim that a business is simply "pulling the wool over the consumer's eyes" without taking to account everything that can factor into the conditions of a price, including contractual agreements that contain conditions that are to be met by the party signing. this includes making up for the costs that come with providing a resource that's meant to fill a criteria (i.e, a requirement to meet a certain profit margin to indicate a success in a license in order to continue annual resales, or a certain percentage owed for a quarter of the first sale period, etc.).