If you were affected by the Grade Reset Bloodpoints not being awarded properly, you will receive any missing Bloodpoints shortly. You may need to restart your game for the rewards to appear. Thank you for your patience!

Trapper buff

Options

I find trapper fun ONLY if I have the purple bag; and even with it he isn’t the strongest killer, I believe the purple bag should be basekit (Even adding the weakness along with it) and his other bags increase the amount of traps trapper spawns with, you could even decrease slightly the amount of traps he spawns with at basekit. But with how DBD has changed no other killer needs a change more then trapper

Comments

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,557
    Options

The way idd buff Trapper is:

1. spawn traps open in good places/ on pallets or make an addon that does that.
    2. Trapper gets a speed bonus every time a Survivor is trapped for some time.
  • Blinckx
    Blinckx Member Posts: 426
    Options

Basekit Bloody Coil

Start with all the traps

There you go, Trapper is now a B tier Killer

• RubberBrain
    RubberBrain Member Posts: 81
    Options

Yea if anything at least that first one but he’d still be a very weak killer

• Dark_Alex
    Dark_Alex Member Posts: 91
    Options

How about... taking traps from lockers until the maximum number is taken?

• Quietus
    Quietus Member Posts: 27
    Options

I'd be happy with a compromise. A bigger bag that can carry 6 traps, so you can focus on setup more and less on wandering off to find more traps.

I'd also suggest tweaking the trap's hitboxes to deal with the tweaks to vaulting, predicting vault lengths (especially with the gender vault variance) has made window trapping a gamble.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,165
    Options

I'd vote for the green trap bag personally. Purple add on is a very specific playstyle, whereas green is just a nicer version of current Trapper

Otzdarva was always against giving all traps to Trapper at Basekit, and then he demonstrated why in a video (but I can't find it quickly).

On a number of maps, there are a number of locations it allows you to easily box a survivor in with no means of escape. Otz used Lery's as an example, where you can completely trap the route to the exit gates. He had a survivor trapped on the other side at the time, then went around the one remaining opening and the survivor had 0 counterplay. Obviously you are suggesting keeping the weakness... but the point is it allows a Trapper to do this mind of thing in lot of locations... especially basement.

I actually really like to play with the green bag myself. Just having that 3rd trap slot and extra trap at the start feels so much nicer, and allows you to actually patrol instead of assing around walking back and forth between traps.

3 traps means you can swing towards traps in the world as you start heading towards survivors and trap up decent windows and pallets as you go out of the gate without having to worry so much about whether survivors will come this way and the respective time worth.

You can throw down 2 in decent spots and pick up 1, you still have 2 traps to use elsewhere, and with the extra inventory space, you can usually keep swinging by and grabbing another trap on route to patrolling gens and between chases. The fact you have 3 slots means you rarely have to worry about having enough carry space to pick up the crap traps.

Ofc I also like the suggestion to grab your furthest sprung trap out of a locker. That would be nice.

• thisislastyearsmodel
    thisislastyearsmodel Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 636
    edited August 2023
    Options

Trapper needs a lot of love right now. There is a laundry list of things I would do.

1.) Centralize trap spawns. Especially on maps like Borgo, you will lose 3 gens in the time it takes you to walk the 15 miles to the other side of the map to pick up your power from the ground.

2.) Trapper gloves should be base kit, and the speed should also affect how quickly you can pick up a bear trap from the ground.

3.) Bloody coil should be base kit. Traps are not very dangerous right now, especially since the grass changes have made it so almost every trap is visible.

4.) Honing stone should be base kit IF an injured survivor steps on a trap. Hell, even if this seems too strong, at least give them deep wound. If you're injured and step on a trap while the Trapper is on the other side of the map, what penalty is there other than losing five seconds to free yourself?

5.) Make good maps again. Trapper suffers from how open, grassless, and gigantic certain maps are. Once again using Borgo as an example, it's not feasible to check the gens on an entire half of the map unless you want to risk leaving your traps and, let's be honest, losing the gens you want to protect in the time it takes you to walk to the other side of the map.

In exchange for these changes, add a radius around hooks and around other bear traps where you cannot place a trap. This would let Trapper be more than a killer who proxi-camps or just sets up 5 traps around the basement.

• RubberBrain
    Options

That feels too similar to the ranged killers, I like trapper sack as basekit because it allows you to combo other strong addons while changing up his playstyle, giving him a fairly strong power he has access too at all times but a limited number of it and each use of it being partially permanent

• RubberBrain
    Options

Honestly love all these, I think Honing stone basekit would be a little much but getting them into deep wound would be incredible, however the two big changes for me would be Trapper sack basekit and better maps, no killer should be map dependent and it’s a similar thing to dredge except he has a much stronger kit then trapper when the map is in his favor. I think trapper sack should be completely basekit both the upsides and downsides, it gives you a fairly strong power and the ability to use it any time, however unlike hag you have to think a little more on where you place them, changing up his play style and giving him more to separate him from hag, other then that Trapper gloves would be great to make his limited number of traps a real threat allowing him to quickly reset them mid chase or have quicker set up, however I am very split on the bloody coils, I would love to see these other changes first and see what spot he is in after that instead.

• RubberBrain
    Options

That is fair, however I also see that more of a map issue with too many maps forcing trapper to use his power to close off areas due to the lack of grass and areas to hide his traps, but it’s a similar thing to something like Nurse in midwich it’s a shame it’s like that but it would change too much for too many other characters, I suppose I could see better trap spawns but even then I wouldn’t see him being too too much better.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,165
    edited August 2023
    Options

Agreed, and I am completely with you that I want Trapper buffed. He's a really cool character, and him being as weak as he is, just ain't right... even if BHVR want him to be the "simple starter" Killer character, he should remain somewhat viable at the high tiers.

Sadly the reality is, with how the game has changed over the years, Trapper's power is never gonna be top tier because fundamentally it requires players to step on the trap to do anything... and the game just isn't built this way, pushing survivors off gens and downing them fast in chase is what rules the roost here.

The only way to bring Trapper's power in line with everything else is to overload his kit to an absurd degree, which then always comes with the caveat that we have to consider Basement Trapper... and Basement, is where Trapper becomes really nasty, and kinda busted. If you have an ally trapped in basement, and Trapper has it locked down... you are very unlikely to get that guy out.

@thisislastyearsmodels post would make Trapper viable in normal play... but it would also make him pretty damned oppressive at basement camping and at low MMR, as the wounds and downs from Bloody Coil and Honing Stone at base is a big deal, and should require add-on commitment to attain.

So... if we accept that he's never gonna be top tier, what I'd like him to have is general quality of life improvements that at least keep him more fun to play and somewhat consistent. My changes personally would be: -

• Green Trapper Bag basekit. (1 extra trap off spawn and 1 additional carry capacity).
    • Lengthened Jaws basekit (Deep Wound when escaping from traps).
    • Allow Trapper to open a locker and grab a trap out of a locker on a 60 second cooldown. The furthest unset trap from him demanifests.

So the extra trap and trap space gives you some wiggle room for what add-ons you want to take, because I think pretty much everyone takes one of the add-ons that makes collecting and/or disarming of traps not a factor (the Iri's, the Trapper Bag/Trapper Sack). I keep toying with the idea of starting with 2 traps and having capacity for 3, so we can still have the Trapper bag as a viable add-on. Coupled with the locker addition, this would probably be fine?

The Deep Wound means you have an additional slow down on people caught on traps when you are too far away to capitalise. It also takes longer to heal so if you do want to pursue, you have more time of blood trails and whimpering to catch them.

The trap out of locker is a relatively easy to implement change that should work on any map (as opposed to managing all map spawns for current and future maps).

At High MMR we can expect Bloody Coil is then something you take often, lock down key paths, and punish anyone who tries to prevent it. With your accelerated early game set up time and improved trap acquisition through the whole game, you actually have the capacity to get traps down fast and actually start patrolling gens. This all ofc is still a problem for basement Trapper... but that will always be a thing no matter what we do.

• thisislastyearsmodel
    Options

The only reason I'm hesitant to say the purple bag should be base kit is because the higher you climb the MMR ladder, the less repeat traps will work. Sure, you can reset them and simply cut loops in half while chasing, but personally I always loved the unpredictability of Trapper back when thick grass was common. I'd see survivors cut tiles wide thinking my trap was in the same spot that it caught somebody else, only to step in it on the opposite side of the tile or on the other side of a window, etc.

• thisislastyearsmodel
    Options

Sorry, did you miss my caveat about a radius around hooks? I hate the lockdown play-style so I made sure to address it :-)

• RubberBrain
    Options

Yea that sounds good too, there’s too many things they could do with trapper but sadly none of them will probably happen, however I will say that I may be something similar to Object so potentially we can still convince them, on top of that trapper requires a different playstyle then most killers so isn’t really good for learning the game, better killers for that are ppl like wraith, legion l, and Ghostface