What are Xeno's pronouns?

Options
EldritchElise87
EldritchElise87 Member Posts: 626
edited August 2023 in General Discussions

Actually serious question, it's something I have wondered fort a long time regarding the Alien franchise, assuming the Queen skin is she/her (although if not, that's cool too, you're a psychosexual avatar of gender and sexual confusion, you do what you want. )

The biology makes everything ambiguous, as it should be, I notice most people default to calling the default Xeno male, and while that's valid (and certainly reinforced by some fanart ive seen ahem), I really don't see it based on design and lore biology, nor does female, genders weird like that.

Would xenos actually meet the gender of "its" unironically? They/them?

Discus in a light hearted and non bigoted way.

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,341
    Options

Guessing people are going to default to he/him, like with Dredge, Demo and Singularity (although the latter is technically correct according to his tome)

I would say it’s an “it”, though.

• UnknownKiller
    UnknownKiller Member Posts: 3,024
    edited August 2023
    Options

The xeno doesnt have genre so it should be "it."

I think dredge and demo should be it too while singularity could be it or he by the voice he uses becuz he could use any voice despite of it he uses neutral male voice

• DarthRevan21
    DarthRevan21 Member Posts: 73
    Options

tbh it can be whatever you want.. personally i default to calling Xeno He/Him, and the queen as She/ Her.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,600
    edited August 2023
    Options

He/Him unless you're playing the queen skin.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,643
    Options

I think 'it' since they don't have a gender afaik. Though I do think of the queen as a she.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842
    Options

If you want the canon answer Ridley Scott confirmed Xenomorphs are hermaphrodites so I think either is valid.

I use the Queen skin so I just use she/her for Xeno in general.

• Tsela
    Tsela Member Posts: 524
    edited August 2023
    Options

The question gave me a laugh because of the current age nonsense around it.

But When it comes to Alien, it's definitely "it".

To explain this further, in it's first concept back when Alien 1 was created, according to the story written by Dan O Bannon (RIP), and according to licensed books later I read, The whole "Alien" concept was something very alien, never seen before. It was not exactly clear if it's even an organic being. It's very fast growth from chestburster to full size alien was not because it was eating actual food, but the whole thing seemed like it can infect, transform and incorporate anything in it's structure, basically also parts of the ship, and reshape the environment. So It was some very strange completely alien creature. The shape of it's head, was due to the facehugger jumping on a man in a suit, and copied in a distorted way even that shape. The tentacles on the back were also because the human it grabbed had pipes leading to an oxygen tank. And of course it gained a human like shape. That was the horror of it.

Now when Cameron made Aliens, there he reimagined the creature making it into some sort of bug with hives, queen like bees, and so on, losing a lot of the mistery about it, the creatures basically being transformed into a regular organic monster swarm. Bugs.

So the question is:

You prefer the idea from Alien 1 or the idea from Alien 2? If You prefer the original Alien, then the pronoun is "it", it's a completely alien thing, which doesn't have the actual rules of how living things come to be in our regular world. But if you prefer the bug swarm Alien idea from Alien 2, then You can use pronouns. In a bee hive, Queen is female (she), the bees which inseminate the queen are male (he), and the workers don't have reproductive organs, so they have no sex really, so call the drones from Aliens whatever you would like.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,879
    Options

Female.

There's two different 'theories' in Alien lore, one is that they're all genetically female and reproduce parthenogenetically. The other is that males are a seperate caste that haven't yet been shown, but mentioned in sonewhat questionable canon, said to fight each other to the death in competition to mate, the victor then fights the queen, and if he survives he gets to mate and is then killed by the queen anywway.

Either way, our Xeno is female.

• Tsela
    Tsela Member Posts: 524
    Options

Well as long as you wear the queen skin, it's female, otherwise it's not.

• Hex_Ignored
    Hex_Ignored Member Posts: 1,614
    Options

Xe/xim for the worker drone and xe/xer for the queen

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,194
    Options

Default Xeno - IT

Alien Queen - She

• GrimReaperJr1232
    GrimReaperJr1232 Member Posts: 1,656
    Options

Xenomorphs are hermaphrodites; he nor she are accurate, not even for Queens as they reproduce without any male influence, making their reproduction asexual in nature.

The most accurate term would be "it" but due to its dehumanizing nature, particularly in English, they're often assigned male/female pronouns.

Grid, the Alien from Aliens vs Predator is referred to in the novelization as Male. Specimen Six from AvP 2010 game, as well as most Queens in general, are typically referred to as female.

• Annso_x
    Annso_x Member Posts: 1,611
    Options

I'm not a native english speaker but I've always been taught animals are "it/its" no matter how much people anthropomorphizes their pets. So for me it doesn't matter what the lore technically says about the gender equivalent of an alien's genitalia, I call Xeno (as well as Demo & Dredge) "it/its" (although I'd probably refer to the Queen as she/her out of habit honestly)

• Snowball777
    Snowball777 Member Posts: 143
    Options

Good question, you should go up to it and ask!

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,532
    edited August 2023
    Options

dredge uses feminine pronouns in portuguese so I'll default to that.

demo uses masculine, so again defaulting to it. same for xeno.

on topic. based on other species with a queen that has the egg laying job... everything but the queen is male.

but any single drone CAN become a queen in the absense of one. there is a proccess and everything.

so what I'm saying is... xeno said trans rights

edit- forgot... a popular theory is that they are all female and the facehugger is the actual male.

• Alice_pbg
    Options
  • UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,278
    Options

If the Xenos are anything like Ants, they're all female, but you have 1 super female as the Queen, the rest of the females are workers. The males are literally born to fly off and mate with another Queen during nuptual flights then die.

Given all those curves, I believe it.

• bazarama
    bazarama Member Posts: 211
    Options

Why would anyone care?

Call it whatever you like.

It's pixels in a video game for goodness sake.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564
    Options

Call it girl or boy or whatever you want. What is this important anyway? Xeno is alien and his gender is not even important part of him.

For me he is boy. For you if she is female? Sure.

• ReikoMori
    ReikoMori Member Posts: 3,330
    edited August 2023
    Options

It's we're going strictly by the films, they have no gender and are living weapons so it best to describe them as an it.

The Queen lays eggs, but Xenomorphs don't necessarily have secondary sex characteristics in the same way we as humans understand them.

• IlliterateGenocide
    IlliterateGenocide Member Posts: 5,994
    Options

It, would be correct

but im just gonna say he like usual for the non human ones

• Steel_Eyed
    Steel_Eyed Member Posts: 4,031
    Options

Handsome / Brilliant

• Ayodam
    Ayodam Member Posts: 2,353
    edited August 2023
    Options

Canon-wise the drones don’t have sexes because only queens and empresses can reproduce. The “king” technically is male. If we’re treating them like insect castes then all are female (but infertile beyond queens & empresses) besides the “king.”

• brokedownpalace
    brokedownpalace Member Posts: 8,755
    edited August 2023
    Options

Xe/xen

• HugTechLover
    HugTechLover Member Posts: 2,482
    Options

You dare assume the xeno adheres to mere human genders?

• AddanDeith
    AddanDeith Member Posts: 54
    Options

original alien has no pronounce, a lifeform not from earth.

• Majin151
    Majin151 Member Posts: 1,270
    Options

It when referring to a non queen

She/her when referring to the queen

And iirc they called the xeno king a he

• Mushwin
    Mushwin Member Posts: 4,576
    Options

Ridley Scott and xenomorph creater H.R. Giger said, in reality when the Queen reaches a certain age, she produces eggs by herself, which makes her a self-fertilising hermaphodite, as far as the drones they can neither impregnate or become impregnanted which esseentially means they are genderless.

• Mushwin
    Mushwin Member Posts: 4,576
    Options

Is true, he was referred to as The Alpha Alien as well :)

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 3,951
    Options

Soooo aren't you asking for the biological sex of the Xenomorph here? Because I don't think gender applies as that would need the Xenomorph to be on a similar level of intelligence as humans with self reflection and all such? In the same ways animals don't have gender in that sense?

• Archol123
    Options

At least for bees that is not accurate. A quick google search will tell you that the queen is female and fertile, the drones are male and fertile and the workers are female and sterile... Sooooo I don't exactly know how all the other insects work in that sense, but at least for bees that is not the case what you stated.

• Alice_pbg
    Options

I could be remembering it wrong tbf... I don't particularly like insects or want to see a documentary about them.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,251
    Options

Doesn't matter as long as everyone knows who you're talking about.

• Archol123
    Options

For Bees the point is that the drones are worthless over the winter and get chased out of the hive to die, but the workers are still needed, guess it might be similar for other insects.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,101
    Options

It

• Rizzo
    Rizzo Member, Administrator, Mod Posts: 17,354
    Options

Ok, I'm closing this here since some people use any excuse to discuss controversial topics.

This discussion has been closed.