The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

I've finally pinpointed what's wrong with Xenomorph

Okay, so since the flamethrowers spawn near gens, and survivors are heavily slowed when carrying them, Survivors are incentivized to just place them down near the gens instead of being creative with their placement.

This means that, as Xeno, every time you pop out of a tunnel, there's just 3 flamethrowers waiting there for you. The problem is that the Xeno player is left with only three options:

1. Ignore the flames and go for the chase (results in losing your power).
  2. While the turrets are temporarily disabled, break them and ignore chase (results in losing the Survivor, and if there are multiple turrets, probably your power anyway because sometimes they just kinda refuse to break)
  3. Never use tunnels (results in losing your power anyway, but now with less mobility)

So, Xeno players have no real way to continuously utilize their tail if Survivors just place flamethrowers right by the gens, which is where the tunnels are. Survivors simply have 0 risk and all reward.

Currently, Xeno can't use their power effectively because Survivor players have a 0 skill counterplay: grab a flamethrower and just immediately plop it down. That's all it takes.

My proposal for how to fix this issue is as follows:

1. The movement speed penalty for Survivors carrying a flamethrower should be HEAVILY reduced. Allowing Survivors more mobility with the turrets will allow for WAY more fun and unique strategies and places to put them.
  2. When Xeno pops out of a tunnel, instead of deactivating nearby flamethrowers for a short time, they should either be deactivated for a VERY long time, or simply destroyed. You should NOT, as a Survivor, feel safe around those tunnels. It takes away the fun of "the killer could pop out at any moment" if you've got an entire firing squad lined up at the entrance waiting.

Without these changes, as they are now, Xeno is essentially just Sadako without the Stealth, Mori, and instant teleportation. I love Xeno's concept, but its genuinely really upsetting to never get to use their power because Survivors are not incentivized to get creative with their counterplay, and are instead pushed towards just preventing the Killer from playing at all. These are just my findings as I've played, and the things I've seen from Survivors I, and DBD streamers I've watched, have played against.

Comments

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,093

clap clap. your finally understanding what i was talking about when i said that double stacking turrets and using singular turrets to hold-w makes killer unfun to play. they fixed that from ptb to live by changing movement speed from 1.2 ->2.0 so you do not lose as much distance but it has been reverted due survivors dislike of the killer.

you just have to accept unfun games as killer if the survivor uses turrets well.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

3 turrets in the same place? Awesome. Leave them there.

Only 4 can ever be in the map at once. That just means you are free to roam anywhere else

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,267

Funny, I have the exact opposite experience: if you don't prerun like crazy if a turret is placed right in front of a tunnel it's a more or less free first hit / a greatly reduced chase time until first hit (M2 hit since Xeno takes the moment to break it).

That being said, I am all for your two suggestions. The first I can subscribe to as is, for the second one I think the tunnel spawns have to be adjusted as well though. Cause if survivors should never feel safe around a tunnel and will always be surprised by Xeno emerging from a tunnel that translates to never being safe on any gen and working on a gen means a free it for Xeno. So there would have to be a minimum distance between tunnels and gens. (And tbh that would probably further incentivise more creativity with turret placement - kind alike reverse Trapper ^^)

• Drag0n100
    Drag0n100 Member Posts: 40

A very valid point! My only thought on that is that they are typically in the most contested spot, so you are kind forced to travel there, or give up on the gen. Though once the gen pops, this is 100% true!

• Drag0n100

Huh interesting! And yeah I can agree with that, like I said I'm of the mind of the tunnels kinda being like the vents in Alien Isolation where you're kinda always on edge going beneath them/around them, so that's fair. A kinda "reverse trapper" situation is exactly what I think would be more fun! :D

• Drag0n100

Yeah unfortunately that's exactly the case. This is how it is sometimes in DBD, where counterplay is treated as something that should "shut down" the opponent entirely, instead of simply countering their play. So with such an easy counterplay to Xeno's power, it does sometimes feel like you have no power and no fun lol.