The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Should killers see hook stages?

Question is in the title.

Honestly, I see no reason why the killer shouldn't be allowed to see the hook stages. It wouldn't really make tunneling easier but it might help killers, who want to go for as many hooks as possible.

I personally don't have a lot of trouble counting hook stages but I did experiment with it before and made a point out of not counting and the results were an average of 5.4 hooks for the first kill. This is what happens when I do not count hooks and simply go for whoever I can find / down quickly. Now, I don't know about you, but I'd rather play against a killer, who gets their first kill at 9 hooks than at 5.

Now consider what a killer needs to do in order to tunnel as opposed to what they need to do in order to play as 'fair' as possible. Tunneling requires a killer to count to 3. Going for as many hooks as possible on the other hand requires them to count to 2 on 4 different survivors. So it's actually easier to tunnel. Is that really what we want?

What do you think about it?

Comments

• NerfedFreddy
    NerfedFreddy Member Posts: 394

No it encourages tunneling and efficient plays. If killer wants it they should memorize it. That's a part of effort and commitment and shouldn't be given for free

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,901

When I'm being serious, I'm actively thinking about and engaged with hook stages, so it's not a problem that hook stages aren't shown to me. I don't deliberately tunnel as a rule, but if presented with an opportunity to get people on Death Hook I will take it for pressure and force them to hide more, and ofc if they then keep playing aggressively I will take the kill or force someone to lose a hook in their stead. Ofc if I wanted to tunnel, I don't need the HUD to help me.

However there are times I have been playing a chill game and not been paying full attention and forgotten who I've hooked, then accidentally "tunneled" a player out early because I thought they had another hook stage... it's entirely a product of me being lazy, not because it's hard to track hook stages.

With that in mind I consider tracking hook stages a part of the skillset of the killer, and adding them kinda dumbs that down, so I'm not really in favour of them being indicated on HUD... but I also wouldn't really be against it either.

• Stroggz
    Stroggz Member Posts: 498

Idc, I can count. Unless there are 4 similar characters.

• PotatoPotahto
    PotatoPotahto Member Posts: 250

If I'm playing for the win, I will only hook one survivor or two until they die and I don't need the counter.

If I'm playing chill I'm hooking at random and I might not even count them.

Guess which type of gameplay BHVR wants to promote.

• ARTRA
    ARTRA Member Posts: 938

I would love it. A little QoL to remember all hooks in long games after obviously spreading hooks.

If i want to tunnel Meg, Meg its going down no matter what,i dont need to see hooks.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,127

I wouldn't feel any changes are needed for seeing hook stages, since there is already a counter for overall hook stages and I presume most people playing will have a memory and the rudimentary knowledge of mathematics to keep track regardless.

It feels unnecessary to me, because all it would do at most is encourage a small handful of killers to target survivors. It doesn't really add anything more beneficial.

Basically, there are more pressing matters for BHVR to be pushing ahead with than something which will really do nothing overall.

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 840
    edited September 2023

I can't for the life of me keep track of hook counts. There's just too many other things to focus on and I'll almost certainly lose count at some point. So even if I want to play nice and 8 hook everyone before I get a kill, I can't. And I've accidentally killed survivors that I've wanted to spare in the past. So after a certain point, I just stop hooking on those rare occasions when I want to turn friendly and let everyone go.

So yes, I'd like to see this change. It will let me spread my hooks against weaker teams and like others have said, tunnellers don't need the help to do what they do anyway. They know who they'll be dumping out of the game early.

That said, there's an argument to be made that hook management is a skill Killers need to develop and letting them know exactly who they need to target at a key point of the game will give them an unfair advantage. Even though I can't remember the hook states, I can sometimes tell who's on death hook by the way the other survivors are trying to take hits for them.

• Marc_go_solo

It's really not as complex as you make it. As with anything, the brain is processing many things at once. It's really impressive how much it can deal with and certainly all the examples you gave are there for the vast majority. The brain will retain what the most important bits of information are.

Counting hooks is rudimentary maths. It takes little use of the mind. You'd only not know if you weren't being aware (by that I mean that someone is distracted by something beyond the game mostly, like what to do later or not involved enough to care).

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,316
    edited September 2023

Nah dogs, it's really simple math and memorizing. Just put down the good good and redirect your focus to the match.

• DrDucky
    DrDucky Member Posts: 675

You could just take notes on a tally on a piece of paper and do EXACTLY the same thing. There is 0 reason for it not to exist.

• kin
    kin Member Posts: 552

In a compartment with an indication of which survivor you are running after, it would encourage "prioritization" (more precisely, it facilitated, and then not so much, but still)which many also consider a tunnel. I think because of this logic, they did not do it.

• Marc_go_solo

No need. You're not dumb, but you may not be fully focused on the game, which happens to every single player. It's not a crime nor unusual. However, I admire the jump you made to that conclusion when I had earlier said not being able to keep up is due to other distractions.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,659

Because if you aren't keeping track of your own objective it can bite you, and the game shouldn't default to telling the player 'do this next and you'll probably win'.

It's the same reason survivors don't know every gen location by default. Sure, losing track of your objective and focusing on the wrong one can 3 gen your team and throw the game, but the match doesn't have a UI element or even any feedback at all to tell you that's happening. It's up to game sense of the player(s) to avoid that situation.

There's no reason to replace the game sense element of 'which objective is optimal for me to pursue next' for either side. That includes the killer.

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,105

your encouraging tunnel UI. the only skill behind tunneling now a days is remember hook count. it is not particular hard skill for killer but many killer don't do it.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,830

We don't really care either way but just for the fun of it:

Pros:

• One less thing for killers to remeber/focus on
    • Makes it easier for killers who want to rotate or not tunnel (sorta ties into the above)

Cons:

• Makes it easier to tunnel in certain situations (Ex: 4 of the same claudettes)
    • Will cause the unreasonables to call "tunnel" more
  • Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 685

No, it's not distraction. When I'm online, with whatever game, I'm focused on the game almost to the point of it being problematic. Maybe it's no big deal for you, but for many of us, it's a problem and by association a problem for the survivors we play against.

• Devil_hit11

it is giving UI for player that are not good at tunneling to tunnel efficiently.

• Devil_hit11

read the big bold title. you would not be asking for a change that you do not need.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

I don't need it, I don't need many changes that I ask for(and so do most people). it would just be very convenient.

would help me avoid killing someone prematurely, and make sure I get to 8 hooks before someone dies in those game where the survivors are just outclassed...

much like how I also didn't need the survivor version of it before. but it was quite convenient when it was implemented.

like the easier struggle on hook and while being carried.

• AmpersandUnderscore
    AmpersandUnderscore Member Posts: 1,659

The gen tracker and hook circle for killer are identical. They give a general understanding of the 'game score' but give no indication of which objective you should focus on to play optimally.

Giving the killer an indicator that specifically said 'go for this person next' is equivalent to survivors having an aura for 'do this gen next', which is clearly absurd.

But in both cases if you're paying attention, you can figure it out for yourself with game sense as the match plays out.

• Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 685

Again, if you all are so worried about tunneling with it, just give us an auditory cue when we pick up a survivor on death hook. Simple compromise with zero downside.

• HoodedWildKard
    HoodedWildKard Member Posts: 2,013
    edited September 2023

Yeah I'd like to see hook states as killer. I like to try and double hook all survivors before I sacrifice anyone. The amount of times I've inadvertently put a surv on 3rd hook stage early is really annoying.

Plus it wouldn't encourage tunneling. A tunneling killer is simply focussing out 1 survivor and it's very easy to keep track of.

• Devil_hit11
    edited September 2023

people forget who they hooked. that is why your asking a UI to not forget. this is something survivor seeing gen aura's. counting hook is a basic killer skill.