Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

to the people that think there shouldn’t be DC penalties, why?

2»

Comments

• foodie
    foodie Member Posts: 437

Your information is mostly inaccurate, and I didn't give those games as an example. They were initially given by someone else. Regardless, I can't discuss detailed information on this for personal reasons

• NerfedFreddy
    NerfedFreddy Member Posts: 394

It's not competitive game therefore dc shouldn't be too punishable

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,438

Queuing in DBD is the competitive mode. "Kill your friends" is the casual mode.

I think they should punish DCs "and hook suicides" much much more harshly, as in, eventually you are permabanned if you do it too much. Just like you would any other online game like CS:GO/LoL/DotA etc.

• Reinami

When i go into the game, this is what i see:

Playing as killer

Playing as survivor

Tutorials

Battle Pass

Custom Games

Store

Leaving out the obvious ones that aren't games we have:

• Play as killer
    • Play as survivor
    • Custom game

Playing as a killer or survivor takes you to the screen that lets you queue up. This queue uses MMR/elo in order to match you with appropriate teammates and opponents so that you have a mostly balanced and fair game. Winning makes that MMR go up, losing makes it go down making your next match more fair based on those wins and losses. (in theory). If this mode wasn't competitive, then there would be no MMR.

The "casual" game mode here, is the custom game, that lets you play with your friends, add any restrictions, pick the map, invite specific people to the game. This mode has no MMR or matchmaking, and is meant to be the "casual" mode that you can play with friends and/or bots.

Queueing up is the competitive mode, and customs are the casual mode.

• Marc_go_solo
    Marc_go_solo Member Posts: 5,173

Sheesh, if I knew that already I would have joined in with the disconnects .. if I had some ego problem. Shame I don't.

• foodie
    foodie Member Posts: 437

I don't see Arena or Competitive in the screenshot.

Custom game is coop queuing, basically. You're inviting people from your friend list. You're not queuing with random people. Additionally, and ironically, tournaments in DBD are hosted in Custom game.

When a game doesn't offer an official competitive mode, it only has casual.

MMR or skill based matchmaking is used to put you up with teammates and opponents of similar skill, experience, stats, so that, for example, you as someone who has been playing and winning consistently for 1000 hrs don't get paired with someone who is brand new to the game with 2 games on their account and 2 hours of game time. MMR is used both for casual and competitive queues.

• Reinami

Its literally right there in front of you, you just refuse to see it.

Custom = casual

Queue = Competitive.

MMR is there for a reason so that you can have more balanced and fair matches (in theory) why would you have that in a "casual" game? If it was meant to be a casual "party" game it wouldn't have matchmaking that does that. Do you think Mario party queues you up with people using MMR?

• versacefeng
    versacefeng Member Posts: 1,133

Except BHVR has never came out with a statement stating that custom games are casual and open queue games are competitive. Because they aren't. Ask a new player if they think that open queue games are meant to be competitive. Games with a competitive mode generally have ranks or divisions that separate players based on skill level and also, you know, are capable of distinguished and seen by the players and not hidden from them.

• Reinami

I pointed it out to you as well and you didn't answer my question.

Do you think mario party matches people together with MMR?

• ryz
    ryz Member Posts: 26

in another game i would say, yes there shouldnt be DC penalties and there a lot of reasons for it.

• Killer has a very bad connection or servers are laggy
    • 2 survivors left and you want to give them both hatch and not farm
    • last 2 survivors hiding somewhere for the next 20 min
    • you are glitched or stuck somewhere

etc.. usually i would say there shouldnt be penalties but this community is so full with whiny people that im actually happy about it.

its good how it is but only because people would just abuse it very badly and every game would end in a 2vs1 atleast.

• Pulsar
    Pulsar Member Posts: 20,775

Iirc, OW quick play uses a hidden MMR number to match people together.

• Reinami

Overwatch has a ranked mode. I'm talking about a game that, by the definition mentioned, does not have a ranked mode.

Do you think, that MARIO PARTY, matches people together using MMR?

• Wilx
    Wilx Member Posts: 99

The only time I genuinely see a DC is if said survivor is being camped or tunneled. Personally, I'd waste their time and stay alive as long as possible, but I can also understand why one would DC in that situation. Stop the tunneling and camping and I think you'd see a huge reduction in DC's.

I do think penalties should be in place though, but it's ridiculous that sometimes someone's internet goes out and they end up with a 10 min ban.

• Pulsar

Once again, DBD does not have a Ranked mode.

Overwatch has both a Ranked and Unranked mode.

Both of these systems use MMR numbers to determine matchmaking. The Ranked system uses both MMR and SR to determine matchmaking, SR is visible.

The Unranked mode uses a hidden MMR number to determine matchmaking. Now, that sure does sound familiar. That mode also does not penalize people for leaving.

• Zeidoktor
    Zeidoktor Member Posts: 2,064

For clarity on the last point the number of gens was determined by the number of survivors who loaded into the game. In other words, it only applied if someone d/c'd while the match was still loading. That no longer matters as when such a d/c occurs the match is just canceled outright.

To my knowledge, the number of gens never changed mid-game due to a d/c.

• Reinami

So for the 2nd time in a row you are ignoring my question.

Do you think that mario party, matches players together with MMR?

• Pulsar
    edited April 2023

Because it's completely irrelevant to DBD's mutliplayer.

DBD's multiplayer has an MMR system. Mario Party was local multiplayer only.

• Saggioro
    Saggioro Member Posts: 2

DC penalty isn't a problem, what is annoying it's to sum up penalties when the problem is from Behaviour side, It's not cool to get a message that you were disconnected from the host, even when you don't have any connection problem by your side, this game should already have the option to reconect to the match if you have left to a maximun of 1 minute since the game already have bots.

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 844
    edited October 2023

I think the DC penalty should stay, but be a maximum of 15 minutes only. Any longer than that is excessive punishment, in my opinion.

Ironically, if you DC at the start of a game on first down, it's the fairer thing to do when compared to the alternative method of dumping yourself out of the game (by killing yourself on hook or going AFK). Yet giving the other Survivors a bot to play with is considered to be the worse thing to do, since only a DC results in any punishment.

DC policy clearly needs to be reviewed now that bots are in the game.

Post edited by JocelynAwakens on
  • NotPhantom
    NotPhantom Member Posts: 3

some people just crash and eat dc penalties like 48 hours, and thats what i got just for crashing 7 times. i know thats a lot but its not my fault that BHVR has such an unstable game

• Raptorrotas
    Raptorrotas Member Posts: 3,237

Let's say we got rid of the penalty. Whats stopping every killer from dc'ing and ending the trial the moment 5gens are powered? I sure hope you werent expecting the dc freebie to only be for survivors.

Witv the entitlement of our playerbase, the dc penalty is an important feature keeping the game functional.

• SuperCop
    SuperCop Applicant Posts: 137

DC penalties are fine if it's a few minutes but it's ridiculous when it becomes hours especially if it's someone getting kicked off by the game. You already lose BP which is punishment enough and sometimes there's a good reason to DC if players are being toxic. You should not be forced to endure griefing.

• burt0r
    burt0r Member Posts: 4,152

First of all, as a general advice, please check the dates of the last comments in old threads.

It is generally seen as bad manner/frowned upon on the forum to revive long dead threads like this. This thread has been dead for 4 months, 10 if you ignore those two other necromancers and their one or two replies.

Most often topics of long dead threads become irrelevant due to many patches in the meantime, not applicable in this case but still

And second, to your post, loss of BP or pips doesn't bother most people when dcing and isn't really a punishment.

sometimes there's a good reason to DC if players are being toxic. You should not be forced to endure griefing.

And this here can be so extremely subjective that penalties still need to stay the way they are.

I found a YouTuber yesterday that exposes TTVs for false reporting and hypocrisy in terms of toxicity and when you see what many people see as toxic while on the other side nothing was done or meant that way and then imagine how many of them would rage DC over it, it just shows that free DC at a subjective case of "toxicity" would be abused to hell and back.