The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

What needs to change for Boil Over in your Opinion?

supersonic853
supersonic853 Member Posts: 5,497
edited October 2023 in General Discussions

I guess the face of the perk is to make struggling more effective against the killer. But with a handful of maps what would be "difficult" becomes impossible. Especially with combined builds, forcing a death on the only hook in one corner of a map, or just bad map design in general inflated by map offerings being played(midwich and badham). So what would be the best approach. Going through every map to make a better spread so this never happens in the first place and future proofs any future perks that have to deal with struggle mechanic?(Also have of these maps would need such a change anyway. Midwich can have 90% of the hooks on the same floor. Making a unhookable area easily.) Reworking the perk? Or leaving it how it is?

(Its very unhealthy to just be left as is. But i don't face it to much. Although going to Ormond or Badham and having no option but play slug simulator for minutes at a time makes the game very boring)

Edit:(Forgot to mention. Boil over is known to target console players out over PC because of the way killer movement works on console. Making the perk inflated based on your platform. So do with that what you will)

Comments

• buckk0097
    buckk0097 Member Posts: 96

that perk has one use and its the "problem" with it you mentioned. otherwise whats the point of running it in the first place ?

also i know people who can aim in fps games and tap heads with no aim assist on controllers so i dont think its that bad for console players.

besides i notice alot of killers are trying to counter wiggling effect but counter strafing it but that not how to do it. you need to go with flow of the wiggle and hold forward you will actually reach the hooks faster than before. just a tip

Just a necessary point to mention, im not trying to take away from your opinion. im just sharing what i feel about the perk after 2k hours and mainly playing killer going for 12 hooks with blight. so i did alot of hooking i can tell that much

• CLHL
    CLHL Member Posts: 152

Nothing necessarily. The problem is mostly map design, they should add more hooks to all buildings. Now that they will be adding an anti-camping system there is no reason why there shouldn't be a hook on the second floor or basement of any structure.

• supersonic853
    edited October 2023

The problem comes from when you have a map like midwich where theres no hooks in say a hallway you downed a survivor in. So boil over makes said hook impossible. As well as the map just not having a hook on the second floor for some reason. Ormond has this problem as well. Most hooks are off the drop outside. Well so you drop. Giving boil over its boost with no other real option. Badham its the opposite if theres no basement in the school you gotta haul A to get a survivor upstairs. Normally its not bad like you said. Its just annoying. Its map design but a lot of maps at least have one area like that. Especially with sabos or perks. So i was asking if people would like bhvr to go through every map and readjust the hook spreads so you always have a chance to get a hook. (For instance adding a hook on ormonds second floor) or just rework the perk to fix its issues on those maps in particular.

• buckk0097
    edited October 2023

let me help you with your headache on this specific matter. MIDWICH HOOKS ARE GARBAGE. ive had 1 hook and a quarter of the map on second floor behind two doors. this discussion should be about hooks being destroyed and how badly they spawn in these maps. Boilover got nothing to do with it i lost survivors to these maps without it being used

• Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 685

I think it's fine, but i also don't play on controller. The only way I'd really change it would be to scrap the increased wiggle effect, and replace it with a Hindered effect on the killer but also a corresponding slow down on wiggle progress. The idea being the killer has the same chance to get to the hook as a normal carry, but it takes longer to get there, buying more time for gens, and opening up sabo plays for teammates.

• supersonic853

Yeah most of those id agree. But i mean on a case like ormond. You could down a survivor upstairs and easily drop off and hook them on one of the corner hooks. But boil overs wiggle spike is what is making that map impossible. Midwich and badham are bad eitherway. But there are some maps (crotus prenn) which have must-drop hook placements.

• C3Tooth
    C3Tooth Member Posts: 8,266

Remove the wiggle strength, but make killers stunned for extra 1.5sec if escape from carrying.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,540

I guess that could be fun when you get flashlight saved but other than that, wouldn't that make the perk kind of useless?

• NewPlayer100102
    NewPlayer100102 Member Posts: 515

Reduce bleedout timer to 1/2 of base value.

So, when there is a boilover player, they only have to wait 2 minutes to leave and harass another killer.

• JPLongstreet
    JPLongstreet Member Posts: 5,742

The problem with this perk on console is the way the sway is felt and your attempts to deal with it. '

Boil Over's effect feels much more pronounced because of the dead zones in the sticks that do not allow you to flow into the sway, which is how PC deals with it easily. Instead of going with the sway, on a controller the input delay more often then not has you go the opposite way, exaggerating the effect.

So you get slowed even more instead of using the sway to actually gain ground. And Entity help you on doorways you likely will come to a stop. And all this is not even counting any micro freezes and/or frame drops making it even worse to try and deal with.

I implore our PC cousins to borrow a friend's PS4 or whatever and controller. Go find out for yourself.

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,432
    edited October 2023

Its one of those perks that is completely useless in a lot of cases, but in certain RNG situations it creates a part of the map where you as a survivor are literally invincible, i'd say it needs a rework personally.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,827

Boil over doesn't need changed. The maps with unreachable hooks need to be updated. For example, Ormand needs an upstairs hook.

• buckk0097

ive been stuck without pc last summer due to personal financial reason and played on my cousin borrowed ps5 for almost 4 months while he was away. i had struggle first few days due to me never really playing on a controller before.

it took me around 10 days to starts flicking as blight and get my kills. i do not remember a single instant where i thought man i cant counter the sway of the survivors.

its actually kind of easy. i wait for 2 sec to see where im gonna sway first i go with it for a sec then i go the other way while holding w. im telling you i always laugh with my friends saying this guy having boilover is budget agitation for me

but i understand that there is a console concern with controlling sway so i might be in the minority here. i still dont think it should warrent a nerf to a perk that is niche there are far more troubling perks to deal with at the moment in my opinion

• Devil_hit11
    Devil_hit11 Member Posts: 8,106

boil over is designed to be slugged. you bleed people out when boil over is effective. is slugging viable? Not really, but it is all you can do against it. it is particular annoying in the middle of the match when all 4 survivor are alive because 1 player is immortal and if there is a gen, the player get to gens for free and as long they are healthy, the speed boost + exhaust perk allows survivor that is using boil over to position themselves in that particular unhookable spot.

when it is last person alive, it is tedious gameplay because the player is stalling the match for no reason and wasting time. that is why it would be good if there was end-game collapse timer that occurs that begins when all survivor are on the floor. if 30 seconds elapses, the entity should mori the survivor. they did this once in the slugging PTB but it was bad because they made it instant while simultaneously making slugging completely useless with unlimited unbreakable. they were on right track with that ptb but deleting strategy from killer was not a good way to go.

perk is not a problem but the way they balance slugging is not fun the killer. the killer gameplay for slugging is almost completely dominate barring survivors playing ultra bad at looping and it is tedious for killer to counter if survivor forces slugging in an advantage way for them. boil over is exactly that. forcing slugging in advantageous way to delay death as survivor.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

I actually loved it before its nerf. It was goofy and fun as solo survivor. Then SWF came and ruined it by making it impossible to hook anyone during the whole match. Which in the end forced the devs to nerf it.

But the idea was great. Maybe increase the blindness effect from 16 to 24 meters and see how it goes.

• DragonMasterDarren
    DragonMasterDarren Member Posts: 2,804

It needs the Furtive Chase treatment and get reworked in its entirety, Boil Over is either entirely useless or makes you completely immune to getting hooked depending on the map you are on

• EldritchElise87
    EldritchElise87 Member Posts: 626

Its a perk that either has zero value and serves as a minor annoyance, to with stacking of offerings and teammate coordination , the most value of any perk by some margin. (in terms of killer time wasted/hooks lost)

It's not healthy no matter which way you slice it.