Survivors: Do Not Finish Gens Until The End

Options

Complete a gen in the first couple of minutes, now the map gets smaller and easier for killers to find you. Now killer is under pressure to kill. Keep doing this and you are likely to three gen yourself if you aren't sacrificed already.

Survivors should be getting at least five gens to roughly 60% before finally attempting to finish them and powering the gates.

This makes it much more difficult for killer to patrol gens.

Comments

• betelgeuseyes
    betelgeuseyes Member Posts: 268
    Options

Yeah well that's part of the reason I made this topic to get the word out. Then soloQ wouldnt be a nightmare.

Nazzzak is correct. Couple that with this strategy and it's more optimal than finishing gens one at a time.

Ah yes, well I never said it was bulletproof. 😋

• Hunkulese
    Hunkulese Member Posts: 390
    Options

The theory is awful. The faster the gens get done, the more likely the survivors win. Just pay attention to which gens are getting done to make sure you're not giving them an easy three gen and avoid doubling up on gens until the end. It's a solo queue proof strategy.

• MikeStev
    MikeStev Member Posts: 353
    Options

Scourge Hook Pain Resonance & Pop Goes The Weasel : Haloooo

• betelgeuseyes
    edited October 2023
    Options

"The faster the gens get done, the more likely the survivors win." That's a fallacy. Gens can only go so fast.

Also, how does one know which gens are being done in soloQ without wasting time checking all 7 gens? And what do you mean "avoid doubling up on gens until the end?" Isn't that what I already was saying? 😆

"SoloQ proof strategy." that's IF no other survivor(s) do the wrong gen.

• Hunkulese
    edited October 2023
    Options

If you're taking every gen to 60%, it's going to take way longer to finish five gens than if you have multiple survivors finishing different gens, and if the killer is competent at all, they'll be hooking survivors and regressing your 60% gens. If you have 5 gens left and 3 survivors, you're not going to win even if they're all at 80%.

Doubling up on gens means having two survivors on the same gen. You didn't say anything about that. It's also pretty easy to figure out if another survivor is on the same gen as you.

• betelgeuseyes
    Options

Hello, yes, what difference would it make? It's going to effect a gen anyway no matter which strategy

• betelgeuseyes
    edited October 2023
    Options

Eh? No. It takes the same amount of time. If two get a gen to 60%ish it's going to take the same amount of time. At least if a lone survivor finds a few gens more than half done, they can get the gen done quicker than if it was 0%.

Killer is going to regress gens whichever strategy used. At least you can get gens done this way without a killer breathing down your necks.

Post edited by Rizzo on
  • betelgeuseyes
    Options

Just make sure you do a little of two other gens. With any luck, those two will regress.

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Options

The best regression perks activate through the killers winning chase, which is why doing gens quick is the best option to negate regression. Where this strategy fails is survivors not doing the first 3 gens to cut the map and make patrolling far more difficult.

• betelgeuseyes
    edited October 2023
    Options

Not really. You can't negate regression. The killer is going to make a gen regress, be it the last one you're trying to finish, in which case survivors are going to give up on that gen and try get another gen started, or multiple ones you've left unfinished on the map, which is much easier to get an extra gen going when there's 7 still on the map than if your pressured off of the last gen to try get one of the other two started. Cutting the map is a given. Obviously that is the best strategy (although not necessarily always feasible).

• DemonDaddy
    DemonDaddy Member Posts: 4,167
    Options

Depends on the regression perks, the strong one have requirements and the weak ones have to build up over time. Usually a simple gen tap can halt the regression and good survivors can make things like pop rarely useable. Regression gets beaten out by basekit progression, it takes mistakes and misplays by survivors to tilt gens in the killers favor.

• betelgeuseyes
    Options

Wow Yes, I know how regression works. It's still easier to deal with early on in the trial with 7 gens , as opposed to the end when there's 3. Not to mention popping gens simultaneously (or close to) being more effective than one after the other.

• Hunkulese
    edited October 2023
    Options

You don't seem to understand how regression works. You're still going to need to finish that last gen when there are only three up, but with your plan, you won't have enough survivors to do so. The survivors have a clock. The killer doesn't. Extending the game without doing gens benefits the killer not the survivors.

You seem to think survivors can only do gens in one corner of the map, which isn't the case.

• Prosecutor
    Prosecutor Member Posts: 49
    Options

If the killer has eyes and if the killer want to play around triangle of gens he will do so. No matter whether you repair gens on another side or not. It is the silliest advice i have ever heard given multiple perks like ruin, pain resonance, pop goes the weasel etc. Are you saying survivors tell killers which gens to patrol? Or killer decides what to do with his perks and gens?

• Akumakaji
    Akumakaji Member Posts: 4,933
    Options

9/10 it's more beneficial to 99% the shack gens on many maps, instead of finishing them asap. This runs the risk of und gen getting hit by a Jolt or PainRes, yes, but it might goad the killer to move their ass over half the map.

In theory a killer should just write off the gen in shack on Ormont, for example, but if this gen never pops they might feel compelled to patrol that gen later in the game. And then a base kick is insignificant, but the killer wasted some 40s moving there and back to the center. Its not a tactic you do every time, but you should keep it in mind.

• NerfDHalready
    NerfDHalready Member Posts: 1,373
    Options

pain res jolt oppression (lol) entered the chat.

but no, just do/pressure central gens first and keep ones in safer areas and ones far away from the rest.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,387
    Options

Every map has three closest gens, why wouldn't I finish one of those?

I get the idea of trying to keep gens spread out that get finished, but this seems a silly way to approach it. You could have a lot of different gens regressing at the same time.

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 1,026
    Options

Bring your dejavu or understand the basic generator arrangement pattern.

Still, there are cases where the problem cannot be solved regardless of the tactical mistake of the survivor, but it is extremely rare.

• altruistic
    altruistic Member Posts: 1,141
    Options

I am gonna be honest, this is a L take.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 8,876
    Options

It's not something I'll do routinely, by if I'm on the 3rd/4th gen, and I suspect a 3 gen scenario I'll leave it 99d.

9 times out of 10, someone else comes along and finishes it just after I leave it, and 3 gens us.

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,223
    Options

*Giggles in gen regression builds* yes survivors follow the strategy OP is saying

• BlightedTrapper
    BlightedTrapper Member Posts: 312
    Options

If you don't finish any generators until the end the killer will regress them, wasting tons of progress. It's far smarter to only complete gens that won't cause a 3-gen.

• Cryptikk
    Cryptikk Member Posts: 388
    Options
  • TheSubstitute
    TheSubstitute Member Posts: 2,229
    Options

The best thing for gens is to learn the gen layout and then do gens strategically to lengthen the time needed for Killers to patrol them. Survivors three gen themselves more often than Killers intentionally three gem Survivors. If you're not sure which gens to do first equip Deja Vu.

If you just leave them (albeit with the cavaet that sometimes it is a good idea to leave a gen partially done; @Akumakaji mentioned a great scenario above) then the Killer can undo tons of progress. Getting things done quickly is in the best interests of the survivors as the survivors have limited resources that run out (ie items, pallets, hook states) while Killers don't run out of resources (Myers sucking all Evil Within juice notwithstanding).

• betelgeuseyes
    Options

Okay, don't get me wrong, there are different strategies for situations. The point I'm making is that multiple gens going off at once or in close succession is a good strategy if it can be pulled off, and shouldn't be completely written off. And Gen rushing is not the be all and end all!

Regression is not even that big a deal. So the match might last longer, it's better than not escaping at all!

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,806
    Options

Yeah, the correct answer is to deal with the central and/or the easiest gens to defend first. All you have to do is be intentional about the order in which you do gens and you can circumvent being 3 genned (except against like old SM/Knight).

I'm always exasperated by survs that just mindlessly do gens as they come across them and then blame the killer/game design when they end up in an unbreakable 3 gen of their own design.

As a killer I don't set out to 3 gen, but if the survs hand me one, I'll defend it.

I know the dream of just popping a bunch of gens in quick succession is gratifying, but 99ing gens is a very risky tactic that is going to bite you in the ass more often than not. Just finish the right ones first, and you'll be good.

• Lobos
    Lobos Member Posts: 212
    Options

All of these strategies can be viable in different circumstances. You could also complete a gen in a strong tile area early on too.

This gives you a place to go later to escape chases that also has a strong looping area to buy as much time as possible, (In case the killer decides to fully commit.)

Killers rarely commit to chasing into the areas where the gens have already been completed. Especially in the late game with 1 or 2 gens left and the pressure is weighing on them.

• ChurchofPig
    ChurchofPig Member Posts: 2,731
    Options

In theory this is a good idea, except for the fact that killers run generally one gen slowdown/regression perk. Sure you can get a gen to say 60-75%, but when you get back to it I can almost guarantee it won't be that way anymore. Literally just finish the generator.

• xltechno
    xltechno Member Posts: 1,026
    Options

In any case, the reason why the three generations are clustered together is because in most cases the survivors lose in a battle of wits against the killer.

It can be prevented, and even if it happens, it's easy to upset the balance if there are four survivors, and even if there are three, it can be managed. Tips can be found in many videos online.

In rare cases, the location where the third generation appears is so bad that there is no room for survivors to intervene.

You temporarily become a gorilla, but you should throw poops at the bhvr, not at the killer.