Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

The State of Hitboxes

Is it just me or are almost all the hitboxes in this game extremely inconsistent? With the length of lunges being so far and each killer's weapon being a different length, it feels more often that not that I shouldn't have gotten hit when I do. The thing that gets to me the most is that almost EVERY time I vault a window I get hit even AFTER I'm fully over it, when the killer's weapon trails a few feet behind me. Have they said anything about this? It's seriously awful.

Comments

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095
    What you experience is called latency.
    All weapons have the same range, but it might look like Freddy has a longer range than Trapper, because of the height.

Also, survivor hitboxes should be bigger.
  • SanKa_Games
    SanKa_Games Member Posts: 201

@Tsulan said:
    All weapons have the same range, but it might look like Freddy has a longer range than Trapper, because of the height.

I don't think so though. Having those bigger would lead to even more confusion about hitting both for killer and survivour. And it will also make DH absolutely useless since even now it might be useless because of the lunge. I'm not even talking about hatchets which mould hit air near you and give you a hit.
    Hitboxes are fine as they are now. Increasing them won't solve any chase problems and would only add problems, so no.
    Though, collision boxes might be changed.

• Tsulan

@Tsulan said:

I don't think so though. Having those bigger would lead to even more confusion about hitting both for killer and survivour. And it will also make DH absolutely useless since even now it might be useless because of the lunge. I'm not even talking about hatchets which mould hit air near you and give you a hit.
    Hitboxes are fine as they are now. Increasing them won't solve any chase problems and would only add problems, so no.
    Though, collision boxes might be changed.

DH makes the survivor invincible to every damage during the short Sprint.

Hatchet hitboxes are bugged right now. She can miss a hit, even if it was bullseye. She can hit, even if it was a miss.

The collision box and hitbox are the same if I remember correctly. Being the biggest problem during a loop. Also, right now it's possible to set a trap in a narrow path and the survivor can pass by hugging the wall. This shouldn't be possible.
  • Zanfer
    Zanfer Member Posts: 647

@MisterJammy said:
    Is it just me or are almost all the hitboxes in this game extremely inconsistent? With the length of lunges being so far and each killer's weapon being a different length, it feels more often that not that I shouldn't have gotten hit when I do. The thing that gets to me the most is that almost EVERY time I vault a window I get hit even AFTER I'm fully over it, when the killer's weapon trails a few feet behind me. Have they said anything about this? It's seriously awful.

From a standpoint of it not connecting sometimes or barely, it does suck cause it can happen even when latency is a thing. Most of the times I get weird hits are when my connection to the host is not 100%.

Other than that I never really run into bad hit box hits. The hit box on self care does get bigger still.

• Immersed_P3_Nea
    Immersed_P3_Nea Member Posts: 49
    Not only does the hit box extend beyond the swipe, it also projects outward to the sides and behind the killer. If a lunge misses, I shouldn’t get hit behind the killer’s shoulder. Makes no sense.
  • Freudentrauma
    Freudentrauma Member Posts: 1,053

Lag and latency is probably the thing that makes most hits look quite awkward. But I also think that certain hitboxes are kinda bad/too big. What comes also into my mind is Hillbilly's chainsaw. The hitbox registration really seems to be quite forgiving, when it comes to chainsawing a survivor around corners e.g.
    Very unpredictable.

• StalwartXX
    StalwartXX Member Posts: 80
    In respect of vaulting windows, you need to bear in mind you're still within range if you're just the other side of the window. 

When I play killer, there are plenty of times I swing or lunge within range of a hit, and yet somehow I miss. And don't even get me started on the fresh hell that is a lagging survivor. Running normally except for the 5 foot jumps forward every few seconds. I won't lie, if I play survivor and get lag, it's a benefit as I seem to be able to zoom away.
  • DocOctober
    DocOctober Member Posts: 2,230
    All Killers that share the same movement speed share the same lunge range as Lunge works like a Killer version of Dead Hard. All Weapons have the same reach for consistency amongst all Killers.
  • patroclus
    patroclus Member Posts: 12

this whole game is a joke. Fix your hitboxes, stop nerfing everything the survivors use, and learn to properly make a game. I am only playing this crap cause Friday 13th went down the hole. And im debating going back to it and dealing with its issues just because of how infuriating this game is. CAN NOT wait for last year.

• Eninya
    Eninya Member Posts: 1,256

@Tsulan said:

50 ms and hatchets can still miss 1-2 feet to my side and hit me. Killers can reach all the way through windows and hit people on the other side, even if they're not close.

The way the killer's "attack box" works for recognizing when a lunge will hit is... strange. Latency is a pretty tiny factor in its function, but visually it's so different for the killers. I still believe the killers have varying lunge ranges, with Freddy (for example) having a huge attack range. Hag's lunge feels solid, but her own hit box is bloated, so she has a tendency of eating pallet stuns while being substantially farther away than other killers, on top of her being able to hit walls through survivors for some reason.

• Tsulan

@Eninya said:

@Tsulan said:

50 ms and hatchets can still miss 1-2 feet to my side and hit me. Killers can reach all the way through windows and hit people on the other side, even if they're not close.

The way the killer's "attack box" works for recognizing when a lunge will hit is... strange. Latency is a pretty tiny factor in its function, but visually it's so different for the killers. I still believe the killers have varying lunge ranges, with Freddy (for example) having a huge attack range. Hag's lunge feels solid, but her own hit box is bloated, so she has a tendency of eating pallet stuns while being substantially farther away than other killers, on top of her being able to hit walls through survivors for some reason.

All killers have the same hit/lunge range. But because of the different sizes of killers it might look like a huge range. Hatchets are a special case, because they are plain bugged. They can miss a bullseye shot but hit when it really is a miss. They hit invisible walls, corners, etc.
    The lunge through the window might be a problem of the perspective and latency. From the survivors perspective it might look like to far, but from the killers one it looks shorter. This game is optimized to play fluently with a 200 ping.

• powerbats
    powerbats Member Posts: 7,068

The hitbox ahs been wonky since 2.0 compared to before. I've had axes hit me around corners yet I hear it hit masonry and could even see where it hit said masonry. I've seen huntresses stand at base of mounds and throw hitting bottom but nailing a survivor hiding behind the edge where they can't even be seen.

I've been nailed and watched it happen where someone vaults a window and is 3 feet out past it and get hit by an attack. Before 2.0 hitboxes were pretty consistent. Now the Clown has a larger hitbox lunge range than anyone except the Pig ambush and the chainsaws with extended reach.

• BadMrFrosty
    BadMrFrosty Member Posts: 1,100

Maybe they could give killers realistic hitboxes based on the size of the weapon, and, if they're using something smaller than normal, up the movement speed boost they receive on their lunge to compensate?

• Freudentrauma
    Freudentrauma Member Posts: 1,053

@Gillboy75 said:
    The hit box's are broken i see several times the weapons several meters away and hit and i seen somewhere that all weapons have the same range well that shouldnt be, why is that? BECAUSE a KITCHEN KNIFE or RAZOR BLADE CLAWS are not he same as a CLEAVER or a SAMURAI SWORD, the hit box's should coordinate with the weapon and the devs should then proceed to nerf and buff the killers after all the thing that piss's people off is when you see a knife vs a sword youd always expect the sword to have more reach not for you to swing the knife and be able to outreach the person with a sword

p.s. There are now several games that show why the weapons reach doesnt determine a killers power and why even if you had a 1 inch knife the killer can be balanced to use a lower reach weapon and still do well example for dbd pigs knife is at their appropriate range then bam speed them up theyll need more speed since they dont have as much reach

Changing range and lunge speed between killers would be more complicated, than you think. Mostly because there is another case to consider, which are vaults and other parts, which allow the killer over them. Those shouldn't be different for each killer. Consistency is very important here.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

I agree that the hitboxes are a bit weird. In my experience, they work well most of the time, but at occasions they seem a little off. No matter what though, playing killer shouldn't be made even harder than it is now, by making it harder for them to even just hit a survivor. The hitboxes are fine, it's latency that causes issues. Of course, the weird hits at pallets and vaults shouldn't happen, but once again, those are mainly due to latency.

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,356

@QuailHead said:
    Yeah I often have the same problem. It’s really hard to tell when you’re going to be hit if the killers weapon never touches. There’s been a ton of times where I think I’m okay, only to get hit by nothing 5 feet away. I wish at least they could smooth the animation out a bit or something.

Yeah working on the animations might help. Just so hits don't look as weird and can be better judged by survivors. Though if you are getting hit by nothing 5 feet away, it's probably also latency.

• mcNuggets
    mcNuggets Member Posts: 767

Its not the hitboxes.
    That's a myth.

It's simply lag or hit registration, but not hitboxes.

• Master
    Master Member Posts: 10,200

@MisterJammy said:

Hitboxes are quite consistent, but latency is not consistent