The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Focusing More On The Black Characters And Their Details/Designs

oPoohBear
oPoohBear Member Posts: 24
edited November 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

I have been seeing over the years and months from time to time of someone saying that Dbd needs more Black characters. I would say I somewhat agree. The devs for Dbd does a great job in my opinion as far as having diversity for characters. But I honestly would like them to add another Afrocentric survivor to the game. Although we have 4, in my opinion, most of their character designs aren’t really good and are sub par to me, and they all physically look weird, especially facial appearance wise. Tapp is very old which is understandable why he looks old I guess but still has lame cosmetics, Adam I’m pretty sure is in his late 20s to early 30s, yet he looks just as old as or even older than Tapp, and he has a beer belly, and Claudette just looks basic and weird…

Although we have Ada, Jill, Leon, Kate, Jake, Yui, even Nea and other clearly and obviously young looking characters that aren’t Black, I guess in a lot of people minds, specifically Dbd art and design teams minds, physically and obviously young and/or attractive black characters(male and woman) can’t or don’t exist😒. I guess, Elodie who’s the best they could do, and “ok” appearance wise, is going to have to hold it down for a while until they can implement a cooler, physically younger and attractive black character into the game(if ever).

And as far as cosmetics for them, the only character out of the 4 that has “ok” cosmetics, is Claudette but it’s still not as good as Dwight, David’s, Kate’s, Jeff, and others… I guess my only issue is not needing more Afrocentric characters in the game, but taking the design for the few we have in the game more Serious and Focusing on them a little more.. Hopefully if they add another Afrocentric character (man and/or woman), they do way better with their design(young, face doesn’t look weird, body isn’t built funny, attractiveness, etc) unlike Adam, Elodie, Claudette, and Tapp.

For those who may question, what does character design have to do with in-game gameplay and surviving/escaping, it’s nothing but as simple as having a sense of feeling, relation, and connection with a character that’s similar to you in a way.. and being who I am, and Dbd not having character creation, it’s hard to play or feel connected to dev/pre designed characters such as Adam and Tapp, when they look old with their bellies lol, or Elodie and Claudette because they just flat out look weird. And honestly, scientifically, as well as statistically, I believe having connections with your character in games not only in Dbd but other games also, improves your performance and time spent on those games, but I guess that can be a discussion for another day.

Overall, I can say, at least their lore is pretty nice, and isn’t stereotypical by how they represent Black people. Adam, and Claudette are scientists I believe, Tapp has an ok story, and Elodie’s story is super interesting as well. At the end of the day, I’m not stating that characters of other races on Dbd are unnecessary, bad, or shouldn’t be focused on. Honestly Dwight and Feng are two out of 5 of my mains, I just wish they could do a little better for the Black character designs for the current characters and Black characters that may be released in the future.

Comments

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,707

I understand where you are coming from, but i don’t think these ‚weird‘ facial features are specific to black characters at all. Especially Meg, Kate and Nea - three of the most popular characters getting tons of cosmetics and being your typical attractive young white women - all have kinda weird features as well. Kate with her mouth, Nea and Meg with their eyes/forhead. And to some extent, all characters are affected. Possibly also because all of them share facial animations and need to have the same base..

at this point i would argue it’s just part of the in-game art direction and probably limited due to their frameworks etc.

just look at concept art of Claudette for example.

• oPoohBear
    edited November 2023

Definitely, I don’t believe it’s only specific to the Black characters in the game, but in my opinion they are the only characters within the same race and/or skin tone, where all of them looks weird. Nea and maybe, just maybe Meg has a slightly weird look to them, yet you can still tell their age range, even without a bio, in which they are most likely in their 20’s, I don’t believe that Kate looks weird or unattractive in any type of way, personally, I believe they did a very good job with her character design . And as you said, they may look weird, but at least they are attractive.

As I stated, I believe all the Black characters look weird and unattractive, and not one of either separates me from that opinion honestly, especially for the Black male characters Tapp and Adam. Even Claudette, although she may be in her 20’s I believe, yet she looks older and even unattractive. It seems they tried with Elodie as I stated, but I know they could do a whole lot better. But as I stated there are other characters that aren’t Black, where if it’s one that maybe looks weird or unattractive, I can go to others and definitely think and be like “ he or she looks young” or “wow he or she is cute” “pretty” or “handsome”, which would be characters such as Kate, Ada, Jill, Leon, Jake, Dwight, Chris, Quentin a little lol, Jane, Laura, and more that I could probably go days with saying lol. But I really don’t believe anyone else could have said that about any of the 4 black characters in the game, not because it’s personal as if they don’t like Black characters or anything, but literally due to their bad design lol.

And usually when I’ve opened Reddit or even YouTube, and people under some threads and comment sections gave their reason as for why they main a certain survivor, most of the main reasons was due to their attractiveness, and not one person who said they main Claudette, Adam, Tapp, or Elodie stated that the reason they main them was due to them being/looking, attractive, cute, handsome, pretty, etc.

But as far as cool cosmetics, I wish Claudette could have a scarecrow outfit or the heart princess outfit like Cheryl, or Elodie with a red silky dress outfit like Ada or a bunny costume like Feng, and Adam with a toilet paper mummy outfit like Dwight lol, and etc… The only interesting and cool outfit for Claudette in my opinion, is the green fairy outfit.

Overall, I guess for me and other players who also have the same concerns, time will tell, and hopefully our ideas and opinions change in the future, if they release another Black survivor that satisfies our concerns with character designs. Or even future cosmetics for Adam, Elodie, Tapp, or Claudette.

And I definitely respect your opinion, and I’m very happy and satisfied you commented your thoughts and belief, because I definitely would’ve wanted to hear a lot of others opinions as long as people are nice and respectful like you. Thank you so much.

Post edited by oPoohBear on
  • Cecaelia
    Cecaelia Member Posts: 79

I think Claudette is beautiful, and attractiveness is subjective so its a weird ask.

• HugTechLover
    HugTechLover Member Posts: 2,482
    edited November 2023

As said above, what you’re saying is not objective. YOU think they look weird. There are many people who don’t think so.

• Emeal
    Emeal Member Posts: 4,910

I think bHVR makes characters that look relatively normal, plain yes but normal. We don't have characters who would be cut from marble, which is good, no shade at the artists, I prefer the characters look normal.

• oPoohBear
    edited November 2023

Attractiveness is definitely subjective I agree, that’s why I would use phrases such as, “in my opinion” or “I believe”. At the end of the day I do understand it’s about how the devs will feel about it, and also how there are many people who will agree with me and who won’t agree with me. There were some people on Reddit who agreed that they do need to add a more appealing Black character or characters, and Africana themed maps, and there were some who thought what I and others were saying was a stretch. As I stated time will tell, but until then I’m going to keep 5 gen looping killers with Claudette and my other 4 mains lol.

Post edited by oPoohBear on
  • Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,707

I still disagree as I think both Adam and Claudette are attractive and especially Claudette looks younger to me than Meg and Kate. Also Nea does look way older than she is supposed to be.

not sure about how old Adam is supposed to be though but I think his cosmetics make him look older/younger and some are definitely not so good in that regard.

i also think that especially Claudette seems to be a fan favourite and many people call her cute and like her. She also has plenty of cool outfits and seems to be getting plenty of interesting cosmetic contest entries.

Attractiveness is obviously subjective and if you don’t like them that’s your opinion. But saying no one does is very unfair and far from the truth

• Annso_x
    Annso_x Member Posts: 1,611

Claudette & Adam are plenty attractive, you don't need to attack them like that to ask for more young and hot black characters 😭😭

• oPoohBear
    edited November 2023

Understandable, but don’t get me wrong, I’m not speaking for everyone, as I said to someone else comment. There are some people who agreed with me and others that didn’t and felt like what I was saying was a stretch, I was just referring to most and every comment I seen from people on Reddit and YouTube, which is true from all the comments I seen, didn’t refer to Claudette, Adam, Tapp, or Elodie being physically appealing due to the reason for maining one or all of them, but for other characters, attractiveness was the main reason. And I repeat, do I believe everyone feel the way I feel? No, not in anyway. Do I believe it’s the truth? No, I never stated what I believed was the truth, nor what anyone who disagrees with me statements are the “truth” nor close to it. As I said that’s why I used “in my opinion” or “I believe” throughout my whole discussion.

• oPoohBear
    edited November 2023

Hahaha I definitely went in on them characters. Really I need a Black character that looks like they should be on a fashion runway and on Vogue Magazine for “World’s Hottest” man and/or woman😂😂😂

Let me recur for anyone else that reads this comment and joke though, because I really been repeating myself in all the other replies… “I KNOW who or what I consider “hot” is my opinion and my opinion only, and that others may agree with me and others may not.” I just wanted to express my thoughts, just as everyone on forums do lol.

• oPoohBear

Understandable, but don’t get me wrong, I’m not speaking for everyone, as I said to someone else comment. There are some people who agreed with me and others that didn’t and felt like what I was saying was a stretch, I was just referring to most and every comment I seen from people on Reddit and YouTube, which is true from all the comments I seen didn’t refer to Claudette, Adam, Tapp, or Elodie being physically appealing due to the reason for maining one or all of them. And I repeat, do I believe everyone feel the way I feel? No, not in anyway. Do I believe it’s the truth? No, I never stated what I believed was the truth, nor what anyone who disagrees with me, statements are the “truth” nor close to it. As I said that’s why I used “in my opinion” or “I believe” throughout my whole discussion.

• oPoohBear

Hahaha I definitely went in on them. Honestly I need a Afrocentric character that looks like they supposed to be on a fashion runway or Vogue’s “Worlds Hottest” man or woman😂😂😂…

Also let me recur for anyone that reads this joke, because I been repeating the same statements in almost every reply due to some saying I’m trying to speak for everyone or attractiveness is opinionated(which I know)… I KNOW that who or what I believe to be “hot” is completely my personal opinion, and some people may agree with me, while others would disagree. I simply just wanted to state my ideas and opinions just as everyone else on forums does. That’s why in my statements I use words such as “I”, “my”, “I believe”, and and “in my opinion. This statement also doesn’t mean I’m not open to anyone opinions still lol, trust me I love discussions like these, so I’m always all ears.

• ChrissyG88
    ChrissyG88 Member Posts: 22

Well, considering South Asians (India/Pakistan/etc) take up 25% of the world population, I think there should be more South Asian characters, as Haddie is the only one. I think this should be prioritized of Afro-centric characters, as there are already 4 (though I'd still like to see more African-based characters).

• oPoohBear
    edited November 2023
  • Annso_x
    Annso_x Member Posts: 1,611

You're fine lol no worries, regardless of how you or everyone else feels about the already existing characters you're still allowed to say you want more hotties lmao