The Dead by Daylight team would like your feedback in a Player Satisfaction survey! https://dbd.game/4dbgMEM

Let's Discuss That Heartbeat for Survivors

I'm not taking any position on this yet, but have two questions for the community:

Do you consider survivors who use the visual heartbeat feature to be 'cheating' if they're not deaf?

Shouldn't killers get a similar visual to indicate when they are approaching an in-progress generator?

Please discuss.

Comments

• biggybiggybiggens
    biggybiggybiggens Member Posts: 659

There was a problem long before the visual heartbeat. The fact that the heartbeat sound comes from the exact position of the Killer has always bugged me. Just from hearing the heartbeat you know the exact direction the Killer is coming from. I always thought it was weird that the heartbeat wasn't more like Huntresses lullaby where it gets louder the closer they get but it doesn't actually pinpoint their location for you.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,828

My problem is that the visual TR thing gives more information than it should. It glows before you can actually hear the TR/Lullaby. This makes it required at a competitive level. You can see here that I couldn't even hear the lullaby or know the killer was near, but thanks to the visual TR/Lullaby indicator, I was given an early warning. Needs a balance pass.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,542

It's not cheating but it definitely is a slight advantage. You get notified of even the faintest of heartbeats and lullabies. It is an accessibility option though, so I'm fine with it.

This is something I have metioned a couple times before. There are also killers with hearing impairments, so there should be some help for these people. However, this is a lot harder to balance. My suggestion is that BHVR define a certain volume of sound that should be heard and noises with a volume at least that high should be displayed directionally with an indication of what sound it is and how close the source is. This would help at least a little while not giving an advantage to players, who don't need it.

• GentlemanFridge
    GentlemanFridge Member Posts: 5,560

i am approaching 3k hours, and I've never noticed the TR itself is directional.

huh.

• biggybiggybiggens
    biggybiggybiggens Member Posts: 659
    edited November 2023

Yep the heartbeat is like a sonar, which I've always thought is not fair. It comes from the Killers specific position and doesn't just get louder like the lullabies do. With these $200.00 headphones I have, you really really notice it. xD

• WilliamSN
    WilliamSN Member Posts: 524

well, it isn't "cheating" but it also isn't "not cheating", its in a greyzone of acceptability, much like visual game filters are.

You DO get a noticeable advantage over non-visual HB users as someone above demonstrated otherwise why would non-hearing impaired individuals use the feature.

----

Also, like op pointed out, killers also need accesibility features, a basic crosshair , directional audio indicators and customizable aura colors are things that aren't all that difficult to do and most of them can be incorporated with already existing gamecode.

• RpTheHotrod
    RpTheHotrod Member Posts: 1,828
    edited November 2023

Because it was never about accessibility for players. If it was, they would have added this feature for both sides, not only buff one side. Killers should get a visual notification for generator sounds\repairs at the very least, and footsteps\breathing should be considered....though that starts devling into the problem...sometimes accessibility ends up harming the balance of the game. The visual TR should not start the moment the audio plays, because the audio at that level can't actually be heard. The visual TR needs a delay before it kicks in to mimic how people wouldn't hear a sound until it got a bit louder vs the other sounds in the game drowning it out. Easy example is the Onryo...you seriously wouldn't hear her coming when her lullaby starts to play over the background music or other sounds such as generators and such. Only when she got closer would you start ACTUALLY hearing it. THAT is when the visual TR should appear...after a delay...since human wouldn't really pick up on the sound at .01%-10% volume (guesstimating).

See my example I posted above:

You cannot hear the lullaby AT ALL....but anyone with the accessibility feature enabled would get an early heads up.

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 840

I don't feel like it's that much of an advantage for me personally. I don't have any hearing impairments (at least I don't think so). But even so, I use the visual indicator to let me know roughly how close by the Killer is. I don't use headphones to play, so it's sometimes too hard for me to hear the terror radius music getting louder as the Killer approaches with all the other loud ambient noises in the game.

The temporary Spine Chill buff also let you know if you were heading in the Killer's direction, but now that's been removed I never use this perk any more. The visual indicator that replaced it isn't as precise, so I don't see it as much of a problem.

I didn't even know sound in the game was directional. You can't tell if you're sat in front of a TV. I mean, you could argue that using headphones is also an "unfair" advantage if your opponents isn't too, but lots of players still do.

• CatnipLove
    CatnipLove Member Posts: 1,006

I'm not going to debate who should be using an accessibility feature. Like, is it okay to use it if you're not completely deaf? These conversations are not productive. I'm glad hard of hearing people have the heartbeat indicator. Other than that I do not care.

Yes, killers should also get an accessibility option for hard of hearing players. I don't care who uses it.

• MikeStev
    MikeStev Member Posts: 384

I only turn it on when facing Sadako.. never get a surprise attack from Sadako if you have visual heart beat

• Ghouled_Mojo
    Ghouled_Mojo Member Posts: 2,287
    edited November 2023

I don’t hear well. I’ve had both ear drums in each ear rupture twice and I’ve worked a lot of heavy machinery without proper ear protection as a young man. The visual heartbeat has helped me a lot with my solo q playing. Especially when my wife is talking to me

on killer side, it would be nice to have some help but it would be difficult, understandably, to give them a hand on the hearing help without giving them a bit of an edge. I prefer the killer role and will keep my fingers crossed on some aid here.

• Massquwatt
    Massquwatt Member Posts: 421

It's not the first time this sort of thing has been brought up in games. There's another famous example of this that I could think of which was the visual noise indicator in Fortnite, a pretty good accessibility feature until people figured out that it'd ping you of noises that most people couldn't even hear. Accessibility features are great but unfortunately they'll always be the 'better' option, playing without the visual TR depends on your reaction times, volume, attention, and in some cases the actual TR music itself so reactions vary. But with a visual TR it happens the instant the killer comes into your range and immediately gives you the information you need to make a decision. That'll always be a thing with this sort of stuff. The visual TR is great for the hearing impaired but it's even better if you're not, it's not necessary to use but it's kind of like WoO where using it gives you a tonne of extra information you otherwise wouldn't normally get.

• IamFran
    IamFran Member Posts: 1,616
    edited November 2023

In the only case I consider the heartbeat """""""cheating""""""" (notice the amount of quote marks) is against Sadako, because the visual heartbeat nerf her stealth quite significantly. It's like carrying an extra perk against her.

• Seraphor
    Seraphor Member Posts: 9,199

Is having a good headset cheating? Because that's what the visual heartbeat emulates. It kicks in when the faintest of TR can be heard, which might not be audible for most, but it is there.

• Rickprado
    Rickprado Member Posts: 561
    edited November 2023

Some killers like Sadako suffer much more from this as she has a lullaby while demanifested, what give away her position.

And i really would like some good accessibility options for killers too

Since the implementation of visual heartbeat I'm seeing survivors pre leaving gens quite consistently. I have some ideas on how to change this, but it would hurt the gameplay of people with hearing impairment, so maybe its not the best solution.

• Spare_Them_Mori_Me
    Spare_Them_Mori_Me Member Posts: 1,409

I dont use it, but I've asked some randoms and my own friends what they prefer. A general answer I got was it is nice when you have to keep game sound down for family talking, work, being a streamer, etc. The visual queue allows them to play without sound.

Now, i cant do that. I need my sound to the point my SWF friends are drowned out when I'm in chase. I need the sound lol.

• Mooks
    Mooks Member Posts: 14,709

Has anyone considered that in case of heartbeat/lullaby being visible before the actual sound might be a bug?

Sadako is mentioned also very often - but then again her having the lullaby at all was always a big criticism point way before the visual indication. Maybe the distinction of audio lullaby to general sounds (eg being nearby a tv) isn’t big enough and that’s why it’s brought up often with the visual indication but the lullaby is definitely there either way.

• Kaitsja
    Kaitsja Member Posts: 1,833

I use it because I play in a swf and my friend always has his audio routed through his soundbar but party chat through headphones. This results in situations where I can't tell if the TR is on his side or mine, since I route all my audio through my headphones.

Outside of a few exceptions, though, non-hearing impaired people are using it for an advantage.

• humanbeing1704
    humanbeing1704 Member Posts: 8,959

The visual heartbeat allows me to listen to music whilst still being able to play the game normally

• TragicSolitude
    TragicSolitude Member, Alpha Surveyor Posts: 7,135

The visual heartbeat isn't cheating. It is, however, obvious which of my teammates are using it because they begin crouch-walking away from the gen well before I even hear the TR, meaning they don't take aggro but they're also useless as gen jockeys. That can't be fixed, that's just how some players are, they moved from Spine Chill to the heartbeat, but the visual indicator does seem too sensitive. Players using the visual heartbeat and players using their ears should have the same info; neither one should get advanced warning.

Killers need some sort of visual indicator, too, yes. Things like gens and footsteps, sounds DbD wants killers to rely on. I don't use the visual heartbeat, but I might use the killer one, because the sound occlusion has me unable to hear a damn thing half the time, and I certainly can't track via sound in this game. Five years playing this game and I have never once been able to use footsteps to track a survivor. Even the sounds of an injured survivor are pretty garbage, I have wasted a stupid amount of time in this game trying to locate an injured survivor I heard but couldn't see, because I'll hear them for a second or two and then silence; they're still injured, but they're gone and I am never able to pick up where they went. BHVR seems incapable of fixing the audio, it only ever gets worse (even in Meet Your Maker, the audio started out good, and then with the updates it got worse as the audio occlusion eviscerated directional audio: it stopped being any sort of useful for finding Tombs). Since they apparently cannot fix the actual audio, giving visual indicators for things they design around killers being able to hear and use for info would be the next best step, especially since it would make the game more accessible.

• Pirscher
    Pirscher Member Posts: 604

It's pretty much a free 5th perk for survivor.. I used to use Spine Chill before but now I have a free slot for something else.

Killer should also get something, sure.

• Caiman
    Caiman Member Posts: 2,581

It's not cheating, but it is definitely an advantage. There is a reason every content creator uses it.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,911
    edited November 2023

I don't use no visual heartbeat cause I is an elite gamer bruv, innit!

Also I do actually still get immersed in DBD and the visual sensor ruins that. Especially when I've committed to opening a gate as the sole survivor... my real life heart races every single time 😁

However if people wanna use it, all it really is a more effective means of translating the same information... I wouldn't say its big enough to call it cheating, though I would say removing all tension from the game and then complaining "its not a horror game" is kinda on them really.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,469
    edited November 2023

I don't think its cheating since it just cuts out the middle man of skill for regular players, a ton of killers with a ton of different music knowing which music is which distance is something mind-numbing to expect players to memorize so having it be an accessibility feature that also lets people skip memorization is fine.

I do think having a visual indicator for gens being worked on in what would be normal hearing range would be fine since it still helps the accessibility crowd while having a similar effect of pulling a small sound that you could be heard for someone with enough time and just make it visible as well as something that shows "intensity" of the gen in range based on sound because I believe gens with more progress are louder would be a fair compromise if you wanted killers to have a similar strength feature that doubles for accessibility

• GroßusSchmiedus
    GroßusSchmiedus Member Posts: 516
    edited November 2023

I personally don't use it nor care if anyone does, however i do recognize its an advantage to turn it on.

I think it'd be good if Killers would get some QoL Hud changes as well, such as hook states and toggleable crosshair (Before anybody complains, its standard with most monitors these days, might as well equalize the playing field a bit).

• CatnipLove

I think they often do that so hard of hearing viewers can experience the game streams in the same way everyone else does.

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 2,243

No its not cheating, its a part of the game.

I have tinitus + for reasons i wont tell here im unable to play with a headset. That puts me at a disatvantage so i really need that visual heartbeat.

And yes, killers should prob have something like that at least when they are close to gens being worked on.

• CatnipLove
    edited November 2023

So what if we determine that using the visual HB with no visual impairments is cheating. How do we determine who needs it? We can't. We have no idea how other people experience the world, and frankly, it's none of our business. So why even spend time thinking about it. Just be happy that it's there for the people who need it.

• Alice_pbg
    Alice_pbg Member Posts: 6,556

not cheating.

would be nice.

I knew... but my headphones are kinda bad so it never helped much...

• Reinami
    Reinami Member Posts: 5,432

Not cheating, but it definitely gives an advantage over not using it.

Yes killer should get similar accessibility options such as an FoV slider, and sound indicators to show the direction that you hear footsteps and such.

• mizark3
    mizark3 Member Posts: 2,225

I don't remember the game I first played that had this, but it had subtitles change size based on distance for sounds. That is ideally what both Survivor and Killer would get as an option to show up in a corner of your choosing (or wherever). That way deaf/hard of hearing gamers can have the same information as everyone else, and in the case of (frequently) bugged audio, you have a guaranteed functional 'sound' in the form of the subtitles.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,265

Really don't understand the utter hatred dbd players have if you have the nerve to use anything that gives even a minor advantage.

• akaTheBARON
    akaTheBARON Member Posts: 346

It's not cheating but killers need something equivalent.

• delugeoffear
    delugeoffear Member Posts: 16

not cheating in the slightest, though its sensitivity could stand to be tweaked. I use it due to the fact that I can't have my audio too high, my ears are extremely sensitive and I become overwhelmed by the simplest of sounds.. it's helped me out a lot. (I used to rely on spine chill to help me with the issue)

I do play killer more than survivor though, and some accessibility features for killers would be nice.

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,770

I think the heartbeat is great, use it myself.

What I dislike is the lullaby indicator. I get it for Huntress because it's her gimmick with the singing, but for Sadako, Trickster, really anyone with a decently sized TR already or has a stealth element it doesn't make much sense to me.

• I_Cant_Loop
    I_Cant_Loop Member Posts: 355

Everybody except for killer players. What about killer players who have a hard time hearing footsteps or grunts of pain? They are at a big disadvantage, yet BHVR have done nothing to help these players. Survivors very quickly gained this TR accessibility feature when the community asked for it, so why the delay/inaction to help killer players?

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,917

Theoretically, killers with a great headset can hear survivors through walls and pin point their location. Killers without that can't do that normally.

Should therefore all killers have the option to see survivors they can hear in a small radius via aura read or killer instinct?

Absolutely not in my opinion, because it robs survivors of crucial mind game potential and therefore skill expression.

This is a great example to how difficult it is to decide what's acceptable as accessibility and what goes too far.

• jonifire
    jonifire Member Posts: 1,437

The visuel terror radius also shows you, when the Onryo is in undetectable near you, which seems a bit problematic for me.

• Alice_pbg

what you said is a terrible example.

killers should get accessibility options just like survivors. yes or no?

gonna assume you are not a terrible person and answered yes... so instead of saying dumb examples of overpowered things, let's use our time and effort into suggesting and talking about things that we think are actually viable.

like, a small foot symbol appearing in the general direction of the sound. or a small arrow like the ones from the xenomorphs tunnel. the symbol can be more or less "solid" based on distance or how loud it should be. and/or use distance from the center of the screen to indicate one of these.

a gen that you should be hearing being worked on should get a certain symbol indicating it aswell, same if it's not being worked on but not regressing. and a different one for regressing.

these 2 things seem pretty fair to me and should not be an issue.

your argument from "the mindgame potential". is it a mindgame potential? if I should be able to hear the sound and pin point your location, then it's not a mindgame, you are just taking advantage of the fact that I can't properly hear you.

I don't see the difference in this from you just turning my screen off for a second while you run. it's not game mechanics, it's just taking advantage that I'm currently not receiving the full information I should be receiving.

imagine this, we are playing chess.

because it's chess, we know all the possible things that can be made.

but then at some point you look away from the board, I notice that, and I play my move.

you look back and ask me what I did, but I don't tell you.

this leads you to lose the game because you could not properly prepare to what I was doing, you were too late when you realized.

this to me is the same thing. it's not game mechanics being used, it's not mind games, it's not skill expression. your opponent lacked a critical info that by the rules of the game they should be getting, and you are taking advantage of the fact that they lack it.

in this case, they lack an expensive headset or they are hard of hearing. congratulations? such mindgames, much wow?

• radiantHero23

You took this way out of context.

My point was that we should generally be careful with accessibility functions.

That's it.

No bad intentions.

• JoeyDonuts
    JoeyDonuts Member Posts: 106

Killers do have visuals though. Blood on the ground, Crows flying off, Scratch marks, The pistons on the gens, the yellow highlight of gen location.

• Alice_pbg

we should not bother pretending people are asking for cheats when people ask for acessibility options. just dishonest and time wasted.

• radiantHero23

What would be your solution to some of the problems then? Spirit would be my starting point. For people hard of hearing shes almost impossible to play i feel.