Botched reworks seem to be an ongoing problem

Skull Merchant is on their 2nd rework, still a disaster. Onryo is about to get their 2nd rework after a failed 1st and initial design. Track record isn’t promising for the upcoming Killer changes.

Comments

• TheArbiter
    TheArbiter Member Posts: 2,512

The problem with Onryo seems to be they have no idea how to make her insta kill balanced, either You get condemn stacks too quickly, like how it is now, or you never even get stacks, like how it was before

• Skitten56
    Skitten56 Member Posts: 383

Agreed. Everytime they announce a rework I get worried. People enjoy the killers they play as they are. They like the mechanics involved, and usually just want slight tweaks and QoL changes to make them more fun and enjoyable

BHVR should avoid major reworks whenever possible and only focus on small numbers tweaks to improve/ balance them. No one likes it when their favourite killer is suddenly a different killer overnight.

• Alen_Starkly
    Alen_Starkly Member Posts: 1,165

With Onyro, they just needed to reduce the TV cooldown, because it was awfully big, and nerf the Ring Drawing addon to not affect the dying survivors (they did change this addon). The former caused an over-dependency on the iri addon.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

Freddy has entered the chat.

• Skitten56
    edited November 2023

In my opinion condemn was actually pretty balanced pre-rework, it just needed some slight tweaking. You had to work hard for it sure, but an mechanic that lets you take a survivor instantly out of the game without hooking should be challenging.

Pre-rework the best way to get stacks was to run Iri-tape and constantly harass survivors on gens or mid-chase with teleporting. There was also the dreaded slug aspect to it.

I think it would be great if they got rid of most of the rework and keep the Ring Drawing nerf but also keep the shorter TV cool-downs. They should also either increase the range of which stacks would apply or increase the amount. This would allow Onryo to build up condemn easier without it being unfun for the survivors.

• KaTo1337
    KaTo1337 Member Posts: 537

Freddy would be happy if he just gets ANYTHING

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,797

The problem with pre-rework condemned is it was too easy to avoid in general. Unless you're caught off guard constantly by teleports, you could run outside the condemned teleport when you know Sadako teleported near you and avoid tapes entirely. And on the off chance you get condemned built up, the match is halfway over or more and the tape can be exchanged quickly and even in your face unless you have STBFL stacks, making STBFL almost required for those moments.

I'll still die on the hill that the best thing about current Sadako is it makes condemned more of a present thing than before and promotes interactivity with her power, but we need a good middle ground altogether so it's not too strong and not too absent.

• Skitten56

"The problem with pre-rework condemned is it was too easy to avoid in general."

I agree which is why I think they should increase the range or the amount of stacks given if they do go back to a pre-rework style Onryo. It wouldn't need to be might since a good Onryo going for condemn will run old Iri-tape and can apply a good amount of stacks just by teleporting. Just a nice little buff is all we need plus a bit extra to make up for the Ring Drawing nerf.

"the tape can be exchanged quickly and even in your face"

I think they should rework the Iri-Remote Control add-on and have its new effect be to make survivors exposed when they are fully condemned. This would be a great assist to stopping those in face tape drop offs we had before.

• ChaosWam
    ChaosWam Member Posts: 1,797

Agreed on the range for sure. As well as looking through all the maps again for TVs in weird spots like the swamps having them in corners facing a wall.

Iri Remote idea could be pretty rough, but considering Sadako is an M1 killer I think it balances out okay. I guess I'd need to think on that a bit more but it sounds reasonable.

• egg_
    egg_ Member Posts: 1,933

You forgot Bubba and Doctor, both pretty good reworks

Unlike Skull Merchant's

• OrangeBear
    OrangeBear Member Posts: 2,666

Nothing wrong with not getting it right the first time. As long as they can do it eventually. Better than not doing it at all.

• lvst_k4ti3
    lvst_k4ti3 Member Posts: 6

I am so nervous about the twins rework, theyre gonna kill my main :((

• Dustin
    Dustin Member Posts: 2,296

For the most part they may have to iterate on characters and perks a few times but ultimately I feel the goal is to eliminate a problem that is unhealthy for the game first and foremost which both characters presented. I feel while both aren't in an amazing spot they're better than their initial versions and it's better groundwork for future changes.

Although between Sadako and Chess Merchant I feel Chess Merchant was more of a failure and ultimately I feel the concept of stationary drones should be scrapped but again that's just me.

• Tsulan
    Tsulan Member Posts: 15,095

His rework was absolutely botched. No Freddy Main from before the rework still plays him.

• ttvblanchyy
    ttvblanchyy Member Posts: 4

This is not true onryo is technically considered weak with out her iridescent addon. Good survivors should be able to manage their condemnation. The only rework I think should happen is when the exit gates are open with last survivor the TVs should be disabled.

• jesterkind
    jesterkind Member Posts: 7,617

Skull Merchant's current rework is more than fine. It may not be perfect, as pretty much all killers have elements that can be improved, but it's very far from a disaster or a failure as people try to paint it.

She has a power that works and that isn't causing tremendously unfun stalled matches, so I can't see how it could be a failure beyond personal dislike.

• Leachy_Jr
    Leachy_Jr Member Posts: 2,196

Minus some horribly unfun/useless add ons like AV1, SS, LPM, and VTP skull merchants rework is genuinely the biggest W they've made in a while.

The trickster rework however, boy am I glad I main SM and not him.

• ProfessorDunwich
    ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514

We can add Billy and now Trickster to the list of botched reworks.