Why do you hate when killers tunnel but its fine when survivors do it?

Reinami
Reinami Member Posts: 5,437

I see threads on here all the time about how much people hate it when killers tunnel, but nobody ever talks about it when survivors do it. Why? Survivors can hard tunnel gens just as much as killers can tunnel survivors. For example.

• Rushing a nearby gen right as the killer picks up a survivor
  • Refusing to heal each other or themselves in order to gens
  • Completely ignoring totems (and ironically then complaining about NOED at the end)
  • Completely ignoring chests
  • Not body blocking
  • Leaving teammates on the hook to work on gens

These are just a few examples, but in general survivors can "tunnel" their objective just as much as killers can, yet nobody says anything about it.

Comments

• Reinami
    edited December 2023

Also, we agree on one thing, the game goes too fast for both sides. This game is a giant snowball fast. Killers run a ton of gen slowdown perks and try and down someone as fast as possible. If that chases lasts more than 30 seconds, they just lost 3 gens. And then at the same time people complain about "the 3 gen" but like, by design the killer is extremely weak that early and 3 gens are the only way killers can play and not tunnel/camp.

On top of that, killers can just remove someone from the game as fast as possible, meaning that survivors these days have no room to make any mistakes, because if they do, someone gets removed, and now they get to sit around a near guaranteed loss while the killer slowly cleans up the game.

This leads to one side basically beating the other in the first 90 seconds of a match, and then the losing side now has to slog it out for another 8 minutes while they lose. This is why people ragequit, kill themselves on hook, and DC so quickly. Because each match is decided in the first minute or 2.

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    MikaelaWantsYourBoon Member Posts: 6,564

Staying injured is the risk of survivor taking it. Sitting on gen as injured is double risk. If they had time to heal but refused, they can't complain about it. Right now tunnelling is strong and OTR is hardly doing anything but if they buff DS, nobody can complain about tunnelling anymore.

• Gabe_Soma
    Gabe_Soma Member Posts: 276

Prioritising generators is not always the best and most convenient choice, everything you mentioned has consequences that the survivors will have to pay for.

• ProfessorDunwich
    ProfessorDunwich Member Posts: 1,514

Skill issue. Do better at applying pressure. Killer is easier than it has ever been. I always get 4ks as Trapper without trying.

• Gastongard
    Gastongard Member Posts: 114

Everytime I enter a match playing a survivor Im just prepared to get tunnelled, or to have a teammate tunnelled out at 4-5 gens by a killer thats using SB, PR and Pop as everyone else, so I will try to be as efficient as possible, because 3v1 in a 2gens scenario its still doable, 3v1 in 4-3 gens its almost impossible. So the fact that you played "nice" one match, doesnt balance the other 99% of the killers that plays in the same nasty-sweating their asses off-way, so trying to be efficients even if that means avoiding chests, dull totems, or even being injured, its the only thing a soloq survivor can do. Because also, if they go and flashlight save or sabo hooks, they will be considered as toxics, even when they are not repairing gens which is something positive for the killer.

• Gabe_Soma

I mean, if your entire complaint is the worry to be labeled a "tunneling trash killer" by a dumb survivor who made the worst choice possible, who cares then?

• Lixadonna
    Lixadonna Unconfirmed, Member Posts: 147

Tunneled out Survivor has to re-queue....no chance of having a worthwhile game they queued for. Killer has chance for a comeback. 3vs1 is not great time for 3 that are left. Harder to comeback.

• Reinami

I think it is more that, during the first chase, against any decent survivor team, 1 or 2 predropped god pallets, and you will lose 2-3 gens to get that first hook.

Now what happens there? Well because the way survivors spawn, that typically means the 3-4 gens that are left, are going to be close together, thus creating a 3 gen. Killer's don't even have to try to force a 3 gen often times because it just happens naturally.

At the same time, when i complain about how fast killers lose those first few gens people say: "well that is by design, killers are weaker early but once they have pressure the game slows down" But then BY DESIGN the 3 gen is part of the game. So nerfing 3 gens without also evening out that early game is going to cause a ton of problems. Because what happens when the killer loses those first 3 gens, and now the last 4 are so close together the killer just, by default is "3 genning".

The problem with 3 genning isn't the 3 gen itself, it is a fundamental design problem where killers are so weak early on, and strong later on. What they need to do is take some of that power later on and add it to the early game to even out the curve of power which makes 3 genning so frustrating to go against, and the early game so frustrating for a killer.

• Grigerbest
    Grigerbest Member Posts: 1,417

Yes, every single point is right. But killer can punish such gameplay very badly, and turn it into a 100% 3-4k.=)

They don't heal? Chases are 2-times faster.

Teammates should be a priority, not gens. Sacrifice 1 hook stage for a gen - you got one less teammate. Try to blame the killer then, gl.

"Healing is a waste of time"

Wtf did I just read...? Do you actually not healing in your matches at all?

You must be really don't care about escaping huh.=)

Btw, you can blame Developers for the current killer play (tunneling). (Which I really doubt, players are really overreacting on how much killers tunnels in the game atm.)

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon

I am healing but i am leaving my heal at 99% which gives me max value as injured. If killer has Haemorrhage, i am not wasting my time with heal and focusing on gen. SB + Vigil gives me good chance to run early when killer comes to me.

• Gabe_Soma

You are totally speculating about a not yet revealed feature.

The "Solution against 3-gen" should only punish those killers who behave as I mentioned above, this has nothing do to about survivors 3-genning themself.

In any case, regardless, the spawn of generators must be revised. There are maps where within 10 metres you find 2 gen and in 20 metres 3.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,918

What if the killer doesn't have pop, the killer has 3 hooks on 3 different people and the 4th Gen is done.

Would you pop the final one in his face even if it means that you go down?

• MikaelaWantsYourBoon
    edited December 2023

I can't talk for someone else but Pop and PR are in 90% of my games. Corrupt is also so high. And some information perks for last slot usually.

Now when i go against this sweaty builds most times, i can't play chill. Especially when most of games killers are tunnelling someone out for even more pressure.

And yes, getting end game as fast as you can is best scenario where someone survives. So if this will give chance to my teammates escape, i will do that.

• Cardgrey
    Cardgrey Member Posts: 1,454
    edited December 2023

Hey hope today finds you well. but let me try to explain it to you how I see it. Not everyone will agree and that's fine. Just how I see it.

So I love this game. You tunneling me isn't a big deal I'm used to it and am a very decent looper and time waster.

That said my friend asked me if dead by daylight was any good.I told him no I don't recommend him playing it at all. Cause he would just be frustrated after a few matchs.

While I don't know where my mmr is. (as none of us do) I'm sure we would not be with a new killer. He would be seen as weakest link.( cause he is cause he's new) and be stuck in a gameplay loop were no matter what anyone does he loses and if we all commit to trying to save him we all lose. I don't expect 2 randoms to care. So after 2 to 3 games he's gonna quit and that's a waste of time. I get tunneling is a part of this game and is a smart strategy . But there is a difference in people doing gens and your job to stop them.

• Gabe_Soma

If survivor are decent enough as you said, they should acknowledge the problem of this hypotetic 3 GENNING FEATURE that the devs have spontaneously implemented in their games, and thus should be able to fight it, otherwise they wouldn't be as good as you think , and in this case you should also be able to kill them and win.

• radiantHero23
    radiantHero23 Member Posts: 3,918

But let's assume you play against the killer in my example. Would you do it?

• CLHL
    CLHL Member Posts: 152

Because spending the whole match holding M1 is extremely fun, while having 3 guaranted chases with the killer is ruining your horror game experience. It doesn't make any sense to you? Well, neither for you nor for anyone looking for an interactive experience.

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

Self care is funny with bite the bullet, cause it can sometimes throw the killer off with the silence, or my I'm just low skill so it happens more often, lol

• TotemSeeker91
    TotemSeeker91 Member Posts: 2,358

Wow, see I never knew this was a horror game, always thought it was a party game