SoloQ Without Kindred

Options

How do you all play in SoloQ without this perk? I never go in without it and I'd like to try not to depend on it and mix up my loadout.

If nobody is using it, how does anybody know who is closest to the hooked survivor? How do you function without it, those of you that do? 🤔

Comments

• Astel
    Astel Member Posts: 618
    edited December 2023
    Options

That is why I tend not to rely on my teammates a lot, making me to run Sole Survivor SC & Botany Knowledge for stable healing.

Post edited by Astel on
  • EvilSerje
    EvilSerje Member Posts: 1,070
    Options

Ehh... We don't...? At least I definetely don't. Another ######### thing about playing survivor is that you have single same loadout, if you intend at least try to win.

Kindred is a "must have".

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,836
    Options

I make a point of changing my builds up regularly. You come to realize pretty quick how little you "need" certain perks. It's easy to convince yourself you can't play without them but it's not true.

• Raccoon
    Raccoon Member Posts: 7,653
    Options

Self-Care/Botany/Overcome/Windows is my solo build.

I crutch crazy hard on windows, but it literally wins me games.

• tjt85
    tjt85 Member Posts: 706
    edited December 2023
    Options

I just watch the HUD. I assume anyone not on a gen (or on the least progressed gen), death hook, in chase or injured has the sense to go for the save. But if I'm not too far away I'll probably go anyway, just to get a quick heal in and some co-op points.

If it seems like no-one is going for the save, then I try to get there before they go to second. This happens more than it should. I honestly don't know what my teammates are up to in some trials... Some of them do absolutely nothing. And I really do mean nothing, because they're not even raiding chests or cleansing totems.

• Halloulle
    Halloulle Member Posts: 1,113
    Options

I usually use bond (not for unhook coordination but to not accidentally run the killer into a tile with a high-progress-gen)

Hook coordination is relatively simple with the HUD: So one person got hooked. I assume everyone was on a gen while that chase lasted. If all three are still on a gen upon hook then everyone is somewhat far away. Look at the gen progress: If a gen is going to pop within ~10 seconds then that surv will then go for the unhook and should make it in time. If not, the two people with the most gen progress will stay on their gens and the one with the least progressed gen will go for the unhook.

If during the chase a survivor went off their gen it's fair to assume they got interrupted by chase; if they don't get into chase soon-ish after the hook they should get the unhook since they should be the one closest to hook anyway.

• Maelstrom808
    Maelstrom808 Member Posts: 684
    Options

Distortion, Calm Spirit, Deja Vu, We'll Make It is my standard build. As others have said, I just pay attention to what people are doing, the game state, and their status (health, hook states) to inform me of what I need to do.

• Atsuka_Anarchy
    Atsuka_Anarchy Member Posts: 343
    Options

There's pretty much enough info provided to you on the screen. Is someone doing a gen? Is someone down or hooked? Are you or a teammate in a chase? etc.

• Neltaxis
    Neltaxis Member Posts: 46
    Options

Sole survivor, wake up !, self-heal and clairvoyance is the go-to build in soloQ.

No need altruism perks.

• Xernoton
    Xernoton Member Posts: 5,356
    Options

It's not really necessary anymore. You have the HUD to see who is doing what. When someone doesn't do anything for more than 5 seconds, it's safe to assume they go for the unhook. When everyone is working on objectives, then you go for the unhook. It really is that simple.

• BlightedTrapper
    BlightedTrapper Member Posts: 331
    Options

Kindred used to be stapled to my build. But after teammate's actions were displayed to all survivors, it hasn't felt nearly as necessary. When someone isn't on a gen, it's fair to assume that person is going for the rescue. Very few situations arise where a rescue isn't properly executed in my solo queue matches.

• Rulebreaker
    Rulebreaker Member Posts: 1,570
    Options

While we rarely know the details of what everyones doing in solo, the hud gives a lot of info for free and game sense tells us what to do with it. Example: if no ones on a gen or being chased and the survivor is still on the hook, its very likely the killer is camping. If everyones working and no one gets off the gen within 3 seconds, we'll probably go to try and unhook because no ones going for it. Etc. Sooner or later it become on instinct.

• caligraph
    caligraph Member Posts: 359
    Options

Its not exact or anything but the soloQ hud gets the job done. If the survivor's indicator is empty its generally safe to assume their going for unhook. Sadly thats almost never true because my soloQ teammates dont understand that standing around is not productive. I could stand a vague sticker system. For example you can choose between a few stickers that mean stuff like "committing to this gen" or "hell nah I aint saving you" to communicate the general concept of your plan.

• Nazzzak
    Nazzzak Member Posts: 4,836
    Options

Overcome is slept on imo. I've gotten so many rescues and escapes that I wouldn't have had without that speed boost. Atm I'm trying Overcome + Inner Strength + Overzealous + Vigil, and while I can't say it's helping with escapes I'm definitely getting some pips.

• shalo
    shalo Member Posts: 1,497
    Options

I run Kindred and still get left on hook at least 25% of the time - you can lead a horse to water...

• HugTechLover
    HugTechLover Member Posts: 2,482
    Options

Kindred feels like a waste of a perk, especially with the icons.

• not_Queef
    not_Queef Member Posts: 796
    Options

It's still mandatory for solo queue.

The icons are nowhere near sufficient.

• KayTwoAyy
    KayTwoAyy Member Posts: 1,699
    Options

If you want to stop using Kindred, you need to start being more observant.

If you've ever watched any content creators--particularly the educational killer mains, you've probabaly seen them make educated guesses about where a survivor is at any given time, based on the information available to them. e.g. They'll say something like "That gen just popped, and I know Meg is working on that gen over there, so Feng must be going for the unhook right now."

They won't always be right, but that is the type of mental map you need to keep in your head if you want to play without Kindred.

It may be challenging at first, but it's worth the investment of time to learn, and you'll be loads better at the game for it.

The only reason I don't recommend being more observant is because once you understand the metagame on a galaxy-brain level, you develop animosity towards your teammates for making the most irrational decisions imaginable. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

• crogers271
    crogers271 Member Posts: 1,423
    Options

The biggest challenge of soloq is hoping your teammates play 'rationally'.

Couple of things to think about without kindred (I run it sometimes, but not that much):

1: Someone might be running a rescue build (We'll Make It and/or Reassurance). Let them take priority on the unhooks.

2: You don't have to rush to unhook, let the killer get in chase with someone else. If everyone stays on gens and no one is forced off that's not a horrible thing.

3: Where are you on the map? Have you seen any other survivors recently? If you are on the opposite side of where the hook is and you haven't seen any survivors recently, it's likely they are nearer than you are.

4: If you are close to the hook and playing against a killer with a terror radius, have a clock in your head about how long it will be before the killer gets to your gen. If they don't come towards you, that means they probably went the other direction, which means its your role to go get the unhook.

As someone else mentioned, if two people make it to the hook, team up the heal, that makes it harder for the killer to come back for the tunnel.

• Beatricks
    Beatricks Member Posts: 857
    Options

Literally don't. Every single time I take off Kindred because I need the perk slot, I put it back after a few days. It's absolutely necessary, not even a question about it.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,105
    edited December 2023
    Options

Simple, I just don't equip it. 🤷‍♂️. I'd rather have the spot freed up for something like lucky break or a Houdini combo.

• JoeyDonuts
    JoeyDonuts Member Posts: 106
    Options

Lucky Break is such a great perk. My loadout is Lucky Break / Inner Strength / Quick and Quiet / Head On. So good to break sight lines in chase, then jump in a locker and heal, or head on and extend chase.

• Dwight_Fairfield
    Dwight_Fairfield Member Posts: 6,776
    Options

I prefer Bond. That coupled with the hud icons give me all the information I need.

• Nun_So_Vile
    Nun_So_Vile Member Posts: 2,105
    edited December 2023
    Options

It really is tho. I run it on a very similar build to yours, Joey. Just using different exhaustion perks: SB(or Lithe)/Q&Q/LB/DWM.

• 09SHARKBOSS
    09SHARKBOSS Member Posts: 1,157
    Options

i just run a stealth build and play like its swf even in solo que