Kindred. Should this perk become basekit for Survivors?

Options
ShowNoMercy
ShowNoMercy Member Posts: 57
edited December 2023 in Feedback and Suggestions

Here is an image, in case if you're new or don't know what Kindred is:

Post edited by Rizzo on

Comments

• Archol123
    Archol123 Member Posts: 3,923
    Options

I think it fully should, because if you are withing 16 m of the hooked survivor you are probably in the afc radius... I think there are two options, either show other survivors the bar of the afc feature or just show the aura of the killer or both, however I would make it so the range cannot be increased by any means.

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,164
    Options

Yes, without killer's aura.

• Krazzik
    Krazzik Member Posts: 2,287
    Options

If they removed the killer aura part, that would be fine. Even with the survivor HUD it can still be hard to know for sure if anyone is going for the save.

You'll have one person on hook, one person being chased, and you're on a gen. The 4th person is also not doing anything according the the HUD, but it's still not clear if they're actually going for the save or not.

• Astel
    Astel Member Posts: 618
    Options

Oh yeah AFC bar also should be revealed to teammate survivors for better SoloQ experience.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,194
    edited December 2023
    Options

I've been using Kindred since years for good reasons, just equip the dam perk in solo!

Overall i don't like all that basekit-nonsense because EVERYONE gets it, not just solos.

• Archol123
    Options

OK and what exactly is the benefit for swf here? You are already able to give calls on survivor and killer positions without kindred... So how does it help swf?

There are too many annoying things in this game that are bound to perks that are just not easy to get for everyone making specific game elements more annoying than necessary, just having more basekit mechanics is a good thing in that sense because you become less reliant on certain perks.

• Katzengott
    Katzengott Member Posts: 1,194
    Options

I just said this because i often hear "bring XXX baseskit for solos", but BHVR never made a difference between solos and SWFs.

And seeing the killers aura and the pinpoint postion were ur mates are doing gens ofc also helps SWFs, they don't even need to be on coms.

• Archol123
    Options

I think there need to be certain changes for the basekit of both sides to make the game more enjoyable, I don't think they are only perks but different mechanics as well.

If a swf is not using comma besides them being able to decide who they play with, what is the difference between a swf not using coms and solos?

It is no information that is not already available to them if they decide to use comma, it does not give them much of a benefit, since they can already just use communication and make that callout... So I would not say it helps them much.

• Foempticol
    Foempticol Member Posts: 232
    Options

Yes, without the killer's aura

• poinepp
    poinepp Member Posts: 119
    Options

they already killed the perk by making the black bubble opaque anyway so it would be nice to see it being basekit

• MB666
    MB666 Member Posts: 965
    Options

how many basekit features survivors need? jeeeez

The HUD is already pretty useful as alternative idk why people want kindred basekit anymore other than having accurate information for free due to the killer doing their objective.

• UndeddJester
    UndeddJester Member Posts: 2,277
    edited December 2023
    Options

Even as a regular soloQ player, I am gonna say no, I would prefer not to have any part of Kindred being basekit, because it gives way more information than you think, and the Killers counter is proxy camping.

Having all other survivors auras globally up whenever a player is hooked is a LOT of information, especially if you combine it with the HUD. Players get hooked often in this game, and can be left up to nearly a whole minute to give the whole team of survivors a lot of value. Like if I said, l "How about a global info perk that gives me all survivor auras for 50% of the game?", I would hope you would tell me to get stuffed. However that is basically the proposition here.

As well as survivor locations, it tells you Gen positions and their progress by matching survivors to their gen. It tells you where players needing healing are. It even tells you where the Killer is. Seeing a player get chased while a player is hooked, or even just deducing their movement will tell you exactly where the killer is, and be perfect knowledge for you to know to go for the save yourself. This encourages killers to proxy camp, cause if they know all survivors can see where they are the moment a chase begins, they also know other survivors are coming for the save. There is no reason to commit to the fleeing survivor, cause another one is coming the moment you leave.

Also by adding this change, you kill a lot of info perks, cause their value is drastically diminished, or in some cases made almost completely pointless. Perks like: -

• Bond
    • Empathy
    • Blood Pact
    • Aftercare
    • Open Handed

There is no reason to run any of them, because Kindred will already give you a lot of information value... not to mention this also kills Kindred as well, as especially with the AFC, it'll basically do nothing worthwhile. Even the Killer's aura might not be shown to you cause of the bubble.

Basically it means survivor get a lot of info for free, and all of them can take more survival based perks, because their basekit Kindred info gives them most of what they need anyway.

A game that centres around builds needs trade offs. Your perks and Tools/add-ons alliw you to have builds with Survival, Gen Progress, Team Recovery, Information or Utility. You need to decide what concessions you're gonna make with your build. If you overload survivors with basekit information, you dumb down the choices survivors have to make for the requirementa of their build.

As a mostly solo player, I understand SWF advantage, but for most players, they aren't running the clock system to point out where they are, and what the killler is doing. I genuinely believe that having as much info as Kindred provides for free does not sound good or healthy for the game.

Post edited by UndeddJester on
  • UndeddJester
    edited December 2023
    Options

Follow Up:

The change I would want for SoloQ is the ability to see the builds of my fellow survivors so I could change my build to adapt to theirs.

It would help to ensure you play into each others perks, and not accidently stuff each other over by playing out of line with other perks (e.g trying risky pick ups on a Decisive Strike player, or try to unhook for Deliverance).

Deliverance BTW becomes even stronger with basekit Kindred BTW. It could well be adding this feature sees more people actively take Deliverance/Kindred because they notice a lack of info reading in their team builds. This combo would allow you to give your team a whole minute of full team aura read.

This is really the change that soloQ needs.

• Archol123
    Options

As many as needed to bring swf and solo closer together... So we have a group of players to balance around.

• Archol123
    Options

It is not about whether or not people run clock callous but about the tools they can use... Nobody forces you to constantly check on the auras of all survivors to perhaps know where the killer is... It is about having the information if you want it, the same communication offers you, we could as well just add communication for survivors and bridging the gap this way... It is not about free information, it is about tools people already have and other s that don't... And if you think all those perks become redundant if you had some more features then ask yourself why 4men never run them... Because they don't need to because they already have all that information... Don't get me wrong I don't find it unfair that swf has this information, I just find it a bad balancing choice to ignore these seperatgroups of players and not take this into account for balancing.

• bjorksnas
    bjorksnas Member Posts: 5,169
    Options

Except for the killer aura I do think it should start becoming basekit, definitely needs changes to balance it out but it would be a healthy addition since it more supports solo queue than it does swf with decent communication

• sizzlingmario4
    sizzlingmario4 Member Posts: 6,481
    Options

I don't think it's necessary anymore now that the survivor action HUD exists.

I do think they should add some more stuff to the HUD icons though including the ability to see progress on healing, totems, exit gates, etc. (like how it works for generators and dying state recovery) and other survivors' anti-facecamp meter.

• UndeddJester
    edited December 2023
    Options

I understand completely man, but it depends on your perspective of which way you want to slider to move. I personally consider playing SWF to be playing with an unfair advantage. It is long known that for most killers in this game outside of Blight and Nurse, that a dedicated team of organised players will comfortably beat the killer.

The standard model is SoloQ < Killer < SWF. This is why in competition there are limits on the numbers of certain perks, and other perks./add-ons are outright banned.... The point i want to get across here, is we are proposing to basically give survivors enough aura abilities to be as good as the comms in an organised SWF at basekit.

If that is what we're doing, why stop at the survivor aura? Why not just reveal the killer aura whenever any player can see him in their FOV? I realise that is an asinine argument, but you get my point. Giving survivors aura reading to the level of an advanced comms comp team is pretty darned imbalanced, wouldn't you say?

To share an anecdote, I get games with SoloQ players that are very good, and some of the best games I have had are good SoloQ teammates with no comms. Great immersion, lots of tension, huge exhilarating moments, where I myself and my teammates pull off something unbelivable to win the game. Whenever I'm in a SWF (which is a new recent thing for me), it is fun chatting to people, but the disparity of power is kinda boring. I tend to avoid taking really strong perks and add-ons, and instead play more memey and fun builds, and will not take powerful toolboxes to help me out, because otherwise it is just cheap and boring.

I do not want the power of SWF, because to me it destroys the tension of the game, it becomes purely mechanical. The uncertainty and immersion is what makes the game exciting. Frustrating as well sure, but you can't have the highs without the lows.

Thinking about Kindred specifically, unfortunately I do not get to decide what information I am given with this change. If I see the Killer chasing David on the HUD, and I can see David's aura, I know where the Killer is. If I see Nea on a 75% gen, and can see her aura crouched repairing, I know where that generator is. I don't get to not know this information.

So ultimately whatever immersion I have in DBD is completely killed by having this aura perk at base, by virtue of the fact I can that I can have all it's benefits without any of the trade offs. I take a full line of survival perks and never have to look at an info perk, cause the base info is as good as SWF comms.

• Archol123
    Options

I don't want to add that thing and then just keep it that way for 70% of killers to be useless, the point is to integrate a bridge between swf and solo to somewhat put them on the same level and then balance around it... Nobody is forcing you to use the tools you will have and if you value your immersion more you should be able to disable such things, but I don't think using communication in a team game is an unfair advantage, it just feels like the devs close their eyes in front of this difference and don't want to do anything to close the gap fully... Which I just cannot understand, this game is missing so many things that were standard overa decade ago... Replay mode, certain settings, ingame chat,... Just think about how long it took them to get a search bar... It is unbelievable how bad this game is from a technical standpoint... And that did not even take into consideration the spaghetti code that breaks random things every patch.

• VomitMommy
    VomitMommy Member Posts: 1,085
    Options

Survivor aura reveal, sure

Killer aura reveal, hell no.

• UndeddJester
    edited December 2023
    Options

Yeah I get your point, but balancing around basekit Kindred survivor aura will prove to hit all the weaker killers harder than the top tiers due to the aforementioned chase info that survivors get to reveal the killer to the whole team.

There is a reason why sweat SWFs always go against Nurse and Blight, cause comms doesn't mean sod all vs. them. If we gives solo survivors similar level of info to rival SWF comms... we are substantially nerfing all the weaker killers. There is no way around that point and they'll need monster buffs to compensate, otherwise the gulf between Top tiers and Low tiers will be even more pronounced... and I'm not sure it's even possible to buff those killers to a point they are engaging to go against, where comms level aura read isn't a substantial factor.

It's basically a complete game rework, and someone like Trapper or Myers need buffs out the wazoo to even stay relevant. Not to mention the aforementioned immersion loss... if Kindred survivor aura is basekit, I have to use it. There is no uncertainty of whether I should go or not, the decision is easy, cause I have all the information already.

This is why what I want for Survivor is the ability to see teammate perks in lobby first. Its a far less game altering change, that doesn't need 70% of the roster to be rebalanced. If I can see them in lobby, I can see we lack information reading, and I can make the conscious decision to take Kindred in my build to help my team with Info.

As with my previous example, I can take Deliverance and Kindred, and I can get max value that combo to make up for the teams lack of info. I think the main advantage of SWF is you are aware of each others perks, and can create synergies and/or play more optimally around each others loadouts. This is the next big thing that SWF needs, way ahead of Kindred basekit, and a lot of the issues that need Kindred basekit go away with this change.

It's a far easier change that doesn't completely shaft weaker killers and flood the screen with primary colours without at least it being my choice to do so or not.

• Archol123
    Options

Technically I'm advocating for a completely different change that basically removes the gap of information between solo and swf, but for the sake of the argument let's go with this...

If you are in chase with the killer and the survivors can see your aura, does this give you that much more information than being in voice with your boys that just call out exactly where he is getting chased. In both cases there is choice... You can choose to look at the aura of the guy in chase and figure out where he is getting looped and what not and when you are in voice with the boys they can tell you the exact same thing... In both cases you have the choice, you can also play with your boys without voice... everything leaves you the option to just not do that.

I find it a weird argument to say they always go against Nurse or Blight... I don't think there is much data on that and even the 4 men escape squad around Hens does not only face Nurse or Blight despite them having like 130 escapes in a row or what not as of right now? I also don't think the term sweaty is fitting, because it kind of negates the skill of those people, sure they are playing for the win but just because people are trying to win at all costs does not necessarily mean they are able to or are good players... So that phrase is a little bit poorly worded.

I don't really think you would need that much of a buff to the lower tier killers to be honest, because just because people would be able to play more efficient does not necessarily mean they are suddenly better players you could still easily win if you are better than them and the killer you are playing is semi decent. Honestly buffing Myers up to that is probably way easier than Trapper, because Trapper is just so much hit or miss...

Well technically you already have the option to know your teammates perks... You could just ask them, but apparently you chose not to because it is not really convenient, they won't necessarily answer you or are unable to answer since they are from a differnet platform that does not support text chat or what not. Seeing the others loadouts would be nice, but I don't think it is enough to bridge the gap, not even close.

The main advantage swf has is increased efficiency, more information all around and if you are trying to win, the knowledge of having good players every time you queue up because you know your teammates. If you look at the really good survivor streaks they barely run perk synergy, they even limit their loadouts, but what they do really well is play strategically with all the knowledge they aquire and share, and that is exaclty is the main difference between solo and swf. Sure it can also allow you for more synergy, but barely anyone does that.

• UndeddJester
    edited December 2023
    Options

Well technically you already have the option to know your teammates perks... You could just ask them, but apparently you chose not to because it is not really convenient.

Just to correct a misconception there, I am on console. Unless they are on PS5 I cannot ask them as there is no lobby chat on console. Even if they are on PS5, it is extremely slow going typing that message on a person by person case, and unless I want to invite them all to a party chat, its a no go. So on PC, sure you can ask about perks, on console you can't.

This is also a reason why in game voice chat is not necessarily viable, because this game is cross platform, and each platform has its own voice chat system. PS5 has discord, but Xbox doesn't (unless I missed an update somewhere), and I'm darned sure Switch doesn't either.

In both cases there is choice... You can choose to look at the aura of the guy in chase and figure out where he is getting looped and what not and when you are in voice with the boys they can tell you the exact same thing...

I'm not being a jerk, but genuinely I don't understand this statement... I think what you mean is that by adding this feature soloQ and SWF are at the same level, I have choice of auras, or auras and listening to voice chat? My main issue with this is that I personally feel that having comms is an unfair advantage over the killer, especially stealth killers and killers lacking map mobility, so as such, I'm against bringing the whole survivor side up to the same level, and that is speaking as a soloQ survivor.

The killers unaffected are the ones like Spirit, Blight and Nurse that have really good map travesal and strong anti loop power, where the advantage of comms is greatly diminished, and by the same token the advantage of auras is greatly diminished. After all a Pig has to commit to chase far longer than your average Nurse or Blight, so against Pig you can read the Kindred aura of the survivor she is chasing and maneuver around her easily for an uncontested unhook. Against Blight and Nurse who can quickly come back to hook, doesn't care you can see where they are chasing, because they can get back to hook far quicker without losing a lot of momentum. Comms in short, disproportionately punishes weaker killers than stronger ones.

The main advantage swf has is increased efficiency, more information all around and if you are trying to win, the knowledge of having good players every time you queue up because you know your teammates.

To be fair, a big reason I'm against this change is because I don't like SWFs either. I know I can't ask for SWFs to be removed from the game as it would massively downturn the games foot fall, but I also know there is no way to police comms... so that is a necessary evil I have to accept. However by bringing soloQ to the same level with quite a large basekit information buff creates the same imbalance vs. immobile and non anti-loop killers, and I don't belive this level of suvivor infomration should be the game standard, SWF or no.

So I will admit to a certain level of bias, but to my mind, the game would lose a lot fo interest for me if I have SWF level information while playing soloQ

• Foempticol
    Foempticol Member Posts: 232
    Options

For the Reddit Dev AMA, can someone ask if Kindred could be basekit without the killer aura? Please 🙏

• Archol123
    Options

I don't think it is unfair... You cannot expect people to play with their friends and then not be in voice chat and talk about the game... This is a given in basically every single game out there, but for some reason this community has major issues with it, even TCM has it, so we cannot even go for the "it is because it is asymmetrical" argument... For some reason dbd is always the exception, in the worst possible sense.

Sure you could argue that way but Nurse does not really have that great mobility, she is just really good at holding a certain area and her chase is great.

Yeah that is quite the issue, but you could easily negate it by not showing auras of survivors that are getting chased, but like I said before, this is not my preferred solution, I just deem it better than nothing...

I mean you can dislike it all you want, but this is just personal preference at that point... Not letting people be in voice with their friends while playing a coop game just seems weird to me, especially in a game that has so much downtime where nothing really interesting is happening... You sit on gens for minutes with basically not much to do... So why not talk to my friends? When I Play solo q I most of the time watch a stream on my 2nd monitor, unless it is a stealth killer, because the time I need to focus on the game is only a fracture of the whole duration the game lasts... And I'm pretty sure this affects the outcome in some form but so be it then, I m not putting my whole focus on pressing m1 and doing nothing else in that time...

There is no immersion after 2.5k hours and sitting on gens is the most boring part of the game, therefore talking to someone while doing it, be it in voice or with some friends on discord is the bare minimum to make this Boeing task worthwhile... You cannot tell me there is a single person that enjoys doing gens...

• ad19970
    ad19970 Member Posts: 6,168
    Options

Why not though? SWF already has this information as well, so why shouldn't solo survivors get the same information?

• Orthane
    Orthane Member Posts: 378
    Options

Survivors have gotten so many things for them lately, I think it should be, but I also think Corrupt should be basekit for killers in exchange.