Dead by Daylight should no longer be affected by an outage. Players logging into the game between September 26 3PM ET and September 28th 3PM ET will receive 1M Bloodpoints as compensation.

What people may have forgot about Distortion.

Welp, let's get into it.

It's pretty consistent Aura-Block Perk with no real set-up, requirement or risk.

Meanwhile imagine Perks like Residual Manifest, Boon: Shadow Step and Object of Obsession.

One has inherent risk when you are Obsession.

One needs you to Bless a Totem in order to block Auras within 24m range of it with 4s lingering.

One needs you to Blind Killer which depending on situation is easier or harder..... Or impossible with Lightborn but I think the user will notice it quite quickly.

So yeah, maybe Distortion needs that nerf, not because of it being OP but more-so that other Perks could shine because those Perks are fine as they are and shouldn't be really buffed.

Comments

• Unknown2765
    Unknown2765 Member Posts: 2,278

It is fine as it is, as others already said.

its useless against some killers, (killer instinct, stealth ect.) and often a wasted perk as a lot of killers dont use aura reading

• fussy
    fussy Member Posts: 1,482

It should be harder to get new stacks, because now it's just endless amount of tokens if killer bring only one or two aura reading.

Also "if killer don't bring aura perks that's a waste of slot" is another example of how people are bad with using any info. Knowing about the absence of certain perks or addons is also information, sometimes quite useful and could literally let me play differently in some situations.

• Chordyceps
    Chordyceps Member Posts: 1,703

The only nerf I feel distortion needs is maybe taking a bit longer to regain tokens. You have your scenarios where it might get no use yeah, but in scenarios where it does see use you get tokens back so fast that it has basically 100% uptime.

Who knows though, maybe the adjustments might make it so neither of these scenarios occur in any given match. That'd be the dream scenario for sure.

• xEa
    xEa Member Posts: 4,105

Or if killer has multible aura reading perks and rendered useless after 30 seconds.

• Mr_K
    Mr_K Member Posts: 9,184

It doesn't need a nerf. Aura heavy killers will eat through those tokens really quickly and there comes the limitation you left out.

• Azulra
    Azulra Member Posts: 480

Honestly? I think that Distortion should either have the inverse effect of Stakeout where it only receives tokens during chase or it should be that it can't charge tokens while doing conspicuous actions such as healing, repairing, etc. One of those two changes would work perfectly imo.

• apathyinc
    apathyinc Member Posts: 457

Distortion is one of the few perks that brings the game back down to it's normal state when used. It would be about the same result as when the killer and survivor had no perks at all. Mindbreaker is one of the only other perks that sort of does this too. These type of perks simply take away perks the other side uses to gain an advantage. I don't see how they can be overpowered in any way.

• D0NN1ED4RK0
    D0NN1ED4RK0 Member Posts: 803
  • Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,886

As others have said here, you don't get consistent value out of Distortion all that often. Most of the time when you do, it's right at the beginning of the match (Lethal Pursuer) and not much after. I run it a lot, and in my experience, these are the most common scenarios:

1. Distortion does nothing (like half the time) and is essentially a dead perk slot
    2. Distortion triggers at the beginning of a match (Lethal Pursuer), and not again
    3. Distortion triggers at the beginning and you get continued value (killer likely running Lethal, BBQ, Floods of Rage, etc.)
    4. Killer running multiple easily triggered aura perks and tokens are quickly depleted, Distortion useless most of the match (this is a lot of Blights, Nurses, Huntresses
    5. Scratched Mirror or Vanity Mirror Myers (LOL)

In summary: you get very inconsistent value; it can be very helpful, totally useless, and mixed in between. So there is risk in running it.

• Coffeecrashing
    Coffeecrashing Member Posts: 3,674

It doesn't matter if the perk has a risk, or if it doesn't get a lot of values in certain games.

What is a problem, is the value it gets in some games, when the killer is using a character/perks/addons that get massively countered by Distortion. As in, the maximum value gained by this perk is broken. "Wraith" counters Distortion doesn't help if I'm not playing Wraith. And "people stacking lots of aura reading perks" doesn't help if I'm not stacking lots of aura reading perks. In some of my games, I'm just not ever revealing the Distortion player's aura at all, for at least half the game, and sometimes never at all in the entire game.

• Xendritch
    Xendritch Member Posts: 1,842

Can we stop with the Distortion threads? They're incredibly dumb, you're blanking one of your perk slots to MAYBE blank one or two of the killers perk slots.

It's a perk that either does nothing or keeps the status quo from changing with aura perks, it doesn't do anything proactive and therefore will never be as strong as perks that are proactive like exhaustion perks, gen perks, healing perks. I would probably put it in the same class of perks as something like vigil tbh or maybe something like fesrmonger on the killer side. Perks that counter or interact with other perks but do nothing on their own.

• Thusly_Boned
    Thusly_Boned Member Posts: 2,886

No offense, but so what? You rolled the dice on an aura dependent build and got hard countered. Nowhere is it guaranteed that you get value from the perks you run. Didn't get to see a survivor's aura all game? Maybe don't count on it. I run aura perks as a killer, and when there is a distortion gamer I don't get my knickers in a twist over it. That was a risk I took when I put those aura perks in my loadout.

I mean that's just DbD; every build is a gamble to some degree. There is always a risk that what your opponent is running is going to nullify what you are. That's an integral part of the game.

Where perks get into the unfair realm is when they guarantee game changing value in all circumstances, and can't be countered in any meaningful way (think old Eruption, DH, etc.). And it's absurd to say it doesn't matter is there is risk/reward value. Of course it does.

Distortion is fine, and this entire movement to have it nerfed is ridiculous. What is happening here is that we are kind of in an aura reading meta, and some people feel entitled to seeing those auras. Basically asking for guaranteed value from their perks. That's not how it works.

• LordGlint
    LordGlint Member Posts: 8,331

One more reason I think the perk needs to shift away from TR and towards contribution. Let the Gen jocky get stacks no matter WHERE the killer is, while the guy living in a bush doesn't get to just passively regen them for existing.

• Steakdabait
    Steakdabait Member Posts: 1,265

Distort just needs to regain stacks from not being a distortion rat. A stealth perk shouldn't be recharging while being stealthy

• Firellius
    Firellius Member Posts: 4,291

Compared to those other perks, yes, Distortion does blow them out of the water.

But that's a problem with those other perks, not Distortion.